Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1940's style radio

pumbaa
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
pumbaa polycounter lvl 15
I am making a worksample with the theme "radio" and thought I should post my progress here to get some good c&c.
I havent decided on any polycount yet, but I am gonna lower it since its at staggering 6k right now for the lowpoly.
textures will be applied as well, I am uv'ing as I write this. Multi-tasking ftw.

Any c&c is welcome! Thanks.

ref:
refs.jpg

radio02%2801%29.jpg
radio02%2802%29.jpg
radio_wire02%2801%29.jpg

Replies

• Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    Pretty sweet model pumbaa. I'm actually going to be getting one of from my girl's parents soon. No crits really, just a question about there being 2 plugs. Is there usually 2? So far as the polycount, not sure what this is for so it's hard to comment on. Keep at it though, it's looking good so far.
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man
    Good plug point lol I just enjoyed the plugs so much that I simply wanted two of them hehe
    It's for a worksample without any polycount directions so they're mostly going for topology knowledge so I guess I dont have to put too much time on decreasing it as long as it looks good.
    Good luck with your vintage radio man!
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First texture pass completed. Only color, I gave up trying to get a reasonable normal map from the highpoly. I started modeling not knowing if I was going to make a normal map or just use the highpoly for the presentation so the modeling process lacked a lot of planning (which too often seems to be my biggest issue) and therefor resulted in, well, wrong.

radio03%2801%29.jpg
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smaller update, nothing important to show really, but thought I should post anyway.

The electric transformer (726 tri's, way too many for an object hardly showing, the four screws ate it all) has a 512x512 color & spec as does the radio box (360 tri's).
    The metal plating (434 tri's) has a 256x256 color + spec. Hopefully I'll finish it all off tomorrow if everything goes as planned!

el_transformer.jpg
    radio_base.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the last screen has very blurry textures for the lower object - whereas the upper object seems to be more crisp- have different texel densities?
  • pumbaa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm yes it probably is dif texel density sine I haven't gave it any thought at all here.
    But on the other hand, the plate is 256 and occupies almost the full 256 map y-wise. and if u turn it 90 degrees it matches up halfway to the box which almost occupies the full 512 length of the texture. I'm not sure that's how you measure it though lol
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    there are scripts for such, often they will resize the UV clusters relative to each other (not rotating, skewing or flipping your uv - layout - just resizing each uv-shell on its own relative).

just a few of them:
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/normalize-uv-elements
    http://www.greveson.co.uk/scripts/normalizeUvScale.ms
    http://scriptspot.com/3ds-max/textools-uv-toolbox-for-the-texture-artist
    though now it would not make much sense anymore doing so