Home General Discussion

Wolverine movie

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
snemmy polycounter lvl 18
Saw the midnight showing. Not too bad. It fits in very well with the established XMen movie-verse. Better than X1 and 3 and just under X2.

That said, the other branded Marvel titles have far eclipsed the X-verse series in story telling and feel. I don't feel it was up to par with Hulk or Iron Man.

FINALLY a really good Sabertooth! :D
No more mindless animal, he is a cunning and very dangerous predator.

Wade Wilson... He made me smile. :) A lot. :D:D:D
Deadpool supermutant.. eh.. whatever.. though I loved his fighting style.
OMG.. what bad CG on Prof X's face at the end! He looked almost Asian!

What ending/stingers did everyone see?
Ours was Stryker had kept walking until the military caught up to him for murder charges.
After the credits was Logan in a bar drinking to remember.

Replies

• Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    You know I think they could give them the original costumes now and people would accept it. Movie was ok.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I prefer the weapon x costumes more then their generic looks.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Saw it last night at the midnight showing. I was exhausted in the morning, I just wanted to prove to myself that I wasn't too old for this sort of thing. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that I am too old.

To the film's credit, it managed to hold my interest enough to prevent me from falling asleep. I was pretty bushed, so that's something. The portrayal of Wolverine was not quite what I would have wanted. The whole Weapon X arc from the comic is very, very dark. It shows a more brutalistic and savage side to Wolverine. You don't really get that at all from the movie. He is shown as one of the nicest and most humane characters in the film. Definitely not the quisinart that he apparently is in the video game.

The special effects pleased me. The way they had Sabertooth move at times was a bit akward at first. But when he gets into it it manages to come across as properly primal. There's this one scene where he is pouncing down a hallway that is especially nice. I was also very pleased with the actor that they chose for Sabertooth. I felt he did a much better job than the actor from the first X-Men film.

The inclusion of Wade Wilson was a plus. The only downside was that he doesn't get nearly as much mouth time as I would have liked. For as long as he does talk, they definitely play up the chatty nature of his character. I believe the actor they used for him is the same one who played "Van Wilder?" He was an effective and entertaining choice.

It's not going to rock your dramatic socks off. But I would say that it is worth seeing. I hardly need to say this, but wait for the credits to end. (this has become Marvel's MO for their films)
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Saw it last night and am pretty on the fence about what I thought. The general pacing of the film was pretty bad, feeling like everything was just jammed into place. I really wanted the scene with him being turned into weapon X to be against his will. All the business about him losing his choice was bogus since he fucking volunteered.

I really wanted to like it because I love me my comics but this felt like a bad 80's action movie. It even has the obligatory scenes of "Explosion behind main character as he walks away, explosion with character driving through it, and someone dying whispering about how 'cold' they are." Mainly lame sauce.
    Stinger ending we got was Stryker being questioned about murder and Deadpool's body grabbing onto his head in the ashes.
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    I want to see this......i do, but ugh...I just hate ryan reynolds sooo much.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i wanted to like it, and as an action movie, I did.

The more I think about it though, the more some things bother me, like what has been said above.

I really didn't like the way they handled Deadpool. I don't like his secret ending either. Pretty lame.

Gambit was pretty useless too. He didn't do anything that was specifically something only he could do. He really was just tossed in to appease the fanbase.
    The part that really got me was that Wolverine didn't check his girlfriend for wounds. He just kinda saw her and believed she was dead. Ok ok, so her heartrate was zero and whatnot, but still. He could have at least checked for a wound.

The intro credits were badass though. My favorite part.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to see it, mostly for deadpool... I think ryan reynolds is a perfect match acting wise for the character.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    I'm going to see it, mostly for deadpool... I think ryan reynolds is a perfect match acting wise for the character.

be prepared for him only being in about 20 minutes of the film, if that...

Deadpool at the end is not played by Ryan Reynolds.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i just read the review on aint it cool news about it... I like to know going in what i'm in for after the let down of ghost rider....

I love how hard it apparently is to write scripts of preexisting characters and not completely fuck them up.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hated Reynolds too since the only thing I had seen him in was Van Wilder which an old roommate played constantly.
    But he was pretty cool in Wolverine. A really good match. :)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadpool at the end is not played by Ryan Reynolds.

Given the way he looks at the end, this wouldn't surprise me. I was really disappointed in the way they addressed Deadpool's character at the end. They essentially took away his defining feature. What the hell were they thinking?

And I know they want people to relate to the character of Wolverine. But the violence in this film was way too tame for the character. After he undergoes his adamantium procedure, he just runs out of the building naked, and then befriends an old couple. You would think that someone who has a proclivity for animal rage would respond a tad differently when put through hellish traumatic pain. I was all fired up for the walls to be painted with the blood of bad guys. I was expecting a massacre. Talk about a let-down.

But at the same time, I can't stress how satisfying Sabertooth's performance was. I think he was the real stand-out in this film. He managed to convey an understated menace throughout. He would smile at the other characters, but you could never shake the feeling that he was staring at your throat. A snide, bullying veneer over a barely contained cauldron of savagery.
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Are any Alpha Flight characters in this movie? Northstar? Puck? Snowbird? Sasquatch?

I suppose I should just go see it...I can squeeze in a midnight showing...
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Netflix rental for me, thanks for posting your comments :) saved me some money
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I watched the leaked version a week or two ago. Anyone who saw the real movie catch it? If more than 10 per cent of what I saw made it into the actual film, I'm pretty sure I do not want to watch this.

But it sounds like, for the most part, y'all enjoyed it?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    It was enjoyable.

I hated what they did to deadpool.

Wolverine has always been a freaking teddy bear compared to the comics, but it's not like that was a surprise.

Gambit was fine.

Agent Zero had some badass scenes.

I forgot to stay to the end of the credits.

Some really good cg, and some not so good. They actually managed to fuck up the motion tracking of the cg claws to his hands in one scene. Really obvious if you were looking at where they connect to his hands and it really bugged me. Should not have slipped through.

Xavier had a major facelift. Lay off the botox! (yes I know it was cg.)

I consider this the best of all the x men movies, but ya know... None of them were as good as they could have been if they'd stuck closer to canon.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey Sectaurs did you see the one with the temporary CG and shaky matte compositing ? I thought that was great, and really made the movie memorable to me somehow. It gave it a cool 90s feel.

(watched it while working, I guess it helps lowering the criticism!)
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    thought it was pretty good excepting small scenes of cliches and iffy cg. scene after the credits wasn't really worth the wait.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    The scene after the credits was actually kind of stupid actually :/

Overall I liked the movie. I can't place a finger on why I didn't think it was great, but it was a good action flick. I think I would have like to have seen more of them as the team. I also thought, based on the trailers, that there was going to be more of him through the generations.

Skanker: I thought the same thing about his woman ;)

Wait a sec! Were there different after credits endings at different viewings?
    Our 'after credits' ending showed deadpool retracting his blade and feeling around for his head (which now had a mouth and was somehow able to say "shhh...." despite having no body).
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Movie was alright, plot was crap, action was good, casting was excellent and wasted on the bad script.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    Good lord. I could hardly force myself to look at Picard's face at the end. Who decided that mashing his head to half height would make him look younger?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    overall I thought it was pretty good, way better than x3. the only things that really bugged me was the terrible compositing on the 2 main explosions with wolverine in front of them and how stupid victor looked when he was pouncing around almost weightlessly. the casting was good, some bad acting in the beginning but overall it was cool.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Average imo...pretty cheesy. Definitely not enough explosions or yelling up to the sky. Deadpool was a let down.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So id put this rite next to x3, not bad, but a waste of the IP. You could feel every step of the way that this is the child of x3. Every time they could go the way of following the marvel lore they would opt for the "what do we think the fans would want". The best part was the plot of the movie ONLY works if the movie is a super tame PG13. Because if it was R there would be gore, and the lack of gore in her death would have been blatantly obvious.

All and all i want fox to give back the IP more now than before. Because to them this and x3 will be success's.

Best moment in the movie was after they showed his ass naked the sounds from the lady's, my wife included...
  • chinups
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chinups polycounter lvl 17
    Are you people F*^%n kidding me, if you are over 20+ years and have read the comics, this is absolute Bullshit, dont sit and watch a fuckin OC marvel movie and and try and convince yourself its decent. all of the x men movies are shit, and this is shit. prove me wrong.... please.....i beg you...chinups
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    chinups wrote: »
    chinups

I don't know what happened, but somehow i first read this as an order to do chinups.

I'm going to, actually.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you people F*^%n kidding me, if you are over 20+ years and have read the comics, this is absolute Bullshit, dont sit and watch a fuckin OC marvel movie and and try and convince yourself its decent. all of the x men movies are shit, and this is shit. prove me wrong.... please.....i beg you...chinups

I've read the comics.

All the OC bullshit in them drove me away...
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    the whole movie felt awkward. I think gambit was casted bad and his scenes were so lame they could have just cut him and I wouldnt have cared. I never could feel the climax and excitement that should have been there. Deadpool was a bucket of lamesauce. The cg was beyond iffy and just comes off as being lazy. My girlfriend would even say during the movie how bad it was. The part where he was in the bathroom his claws looks so bad they reminded me of the cartoon sword from who framed roger rabit.

I was really hoping for a good movie since xmen have always been a letdown. My hopes were shattered again. :(
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    Netflix rental for me, thanks for posting your comments :) saved me some money

Quoted for truth!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yeah i really enjoyed the leaked version too. not for the movie as such but more to see what was done with cg and what wasnt, soneof which surprised me.

the movi was ok not wfat wolverine could be, its the sort of character that needs a director like ridley scott 20=30 years ago
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow the leaked one is really funny, crap the effects in the final ain't be better. movie didn't feel right, had hoped for more (and heck, that intro was promising -.-)
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Chin ups this was better than the xmen movies, at least they gave Sabertooth a ballsack. LOL I'm not sure why I didn't totally hate this movie. The ending left a lot to be desired though, but I felt it was better than the xmen movies so maybe I have been scared enough to just not care anymore... I did find it entertaining. The whole thing with Deadpool was lame, but I liked seeing him fight in the beginning. The new trailer for transfomers looks cool. It doesn't seem to have shaky cam madness for the battles like the first one. I can only hope.

Victor pounced, I think my brain just blocked that. To lame to tolerate....

Yes if you read this correctly, you'll gather I liked the movie so much I had to change the topic. :D I think I need to start drinking. LOL
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    just got back from seeing it. Overall, not bad, not great. I was with it until they
    got to the island, and then it all fell apart for me. Logan is 10 feet from an unprotected Stryker, after having come there TO KILL HIM, and he just. . . walks away? WTF?! Then what's her face has a chance to KILL HIM again, and doesn't, for moral reasons, when she's about to die?!

I liked Gambit except the crappy accent, and I really liked Sabertooth in this one. Way better than before. Deadpool was ok, but
    I don't remember him having everyone else's powers? Was that something that happened later in the comics or something?
    I also didn't like the "diamond hard' skin effect. I was hoping for something a little less. . . bling. Though some of the other CG (wolverine's claws in the bathroom, Sabertooth jumping around) looked off too.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    @ Tumerboy
    No Deadpool only had healing factor and is more skilled fighter than either wolverine or sabertooth. Imagine Spiderman with healing factor and two freaking long swords. Deadpool would be less agile and not as strong though. But then he like to use guns too. Non of that lame other power bs they pulled in this film. They should of just gave him his Ninja suit instead of the crap they pulled in this film. And no he doesn't have super swords grow out of his ass! LOL
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    LOL they couldn't give him his suit, all the other x-men would get jealous that they don't get to have their cool outfits!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah but his suit is the only one that works well in the real world.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Just saw it... lame sauce all over my face... just when I was about to recover from Xmen 3.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Holy shit! Chill out. It's just a silly comic book movie about an angry midget with claws and a mickey mouse haircut. At this rate, you'll go postal in a week and shoot up a small town.
    And then it will all go to hell, as Nancy Grace will start taking quotes from this board out of context, and ask America "What sane mind counts triangles?" Then they'll show the satanic images posted here of big fat green guys with knives, and zombie hitlers, and we'll be the branded the evil polycult by Fox news.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    AAARRGHHHH!!! Could have been cool but failed bad.

Ruined Deadpool!! Of all of the characters he had the most potential for a spin-off. Swords out of his arms was soooooo lame. covering his mouth so that they could have that one liner was retarded. He's "the merc with a mouth"!!

Skinny Fred was bad ass in the old group. They dropped the ball with the fat suit.

- BoBo
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I definitely have to say they bombed on the film. The first 15 minutes or so was cool as hell. Young Logan with bone claws, and the war montage was cool too.

The movie was delayed about a year and a half, and I believe all the stuff involving Gambit was added during that time.. That's probably why he was so disposable and just.. wrong. I still feel like Josh Holloway would have nailed the role of Remy.

I felt like the entire movie was just hopping from character to character, with no real plot holding it together. At least the original xmen films had a storyline. I actually really liked X1 and X2.

And my last bit of annoyance... Xavier. Or, as I like to call him, Professor Uncanny Valley. Seriously.. If they couldn't get him on board, they should have went another avenue. Full screen HD shot of him and the less-than-stellar voice hurt IMO. When it came on screen, there were quite a few gasps of disbelief at the theater.

I won't say I hated it, but I'm definitely glad I didn't pay to see it.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AAARRGHHHH!!! Could have been cool but failed bad.

Ruined Deadpool!! Of all of the characters he had the most potential for a spin-off. Swords out of his arms was soooooo lame. covering his mouth so that they could have that one liner was retarded. He's "the merc with a mouth"!!

I agree wholeheartedly. This speaks to one of the basic problems of this film. It started off so promising. The intro was fairly satisfying. They didn't harp on anything, they got the elements they needed and moved right along. They spliced the "war" scenes into the credits, and then its right into the Weapon X program. The Weapon X team was pretty cool, and violence abounded. Deadpool at the beginning of the movie was great. He was a witty, mouthy asshole who brought the blades.

And after that, everything just went downhill. The action and excitement fell off precipitously. The pacing just fell apart. When Deadpool comes back at the end of the film, they bone his character royally.

I still think that Victor Creed's portrayal was a high point for the film. Of course, even his dialogue turned to rubbish near the end.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    i find it amusing that so many of you are disappointed by this movie, yet the reviews everywhere said it was terrible. At least FOX got your money, that's all that counts right :P
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    i find it amusing that so many of you are disappointed by this movie, yet the reviews everywhere said it was terrible.

This was one of those instances where I went into the theatre with my expectations lowered in advance. Partially due to the nature of the previous X-Men film. And partially because I'm very jaded where the modern film industry is concerned. The whole film was Marvel fan-service, and could be enjoyed on that level.

If I'm not mistaken, the film is #1 at the box-office at the moment. A testament to the popularity of the franchise and the lead actor. But then it isn't unusual these days to see critically panned films knocking down solid sales numbers. Just look at the Resident Evil film franchise.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    $90mil is what I heard this morning.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    i hate what they did to DEADPOOL.....but I'm just happy that there is an actual Wolverine movie.

I mean if u want to see a better film watch Hulk vs. :)

I hope they can make the next one way more brutal.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I'm not mistaken, the film is #1 at the box-office at the moment. A testament to the popularity of the franchise and the lead actor. But then it isn't unusual these days to see critically panned films knocking down solid sales numbers. Just look at the Resident Evil film franchise.

Nah, it just does not have much in the way of competition right now.
    Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, Obsessed, 17 Again, Hannah Montana.... Something has to be #1. Doesn't mean it's great. :p

Lee: It was actually cheaper for me to see the midnight showing than wait for a DVD rental. XD

Hulk VS is awesome. :D

Hope Marvel takes more control of the Deadpool and Magneto movies.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    id love to know how far the xmen IP extends that and the F4 IP... We all know that fox wont be letting go of those IP's anytime soon. It would be nice if we could get marvel to lay down the law and pull their rites to the xmen IP if they try and make a Deadpool movie. I'd just love to know what all isn't in the IP.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    20th Century Fox is developing a "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" spin-off featuring Deadpool says The Hollywood Reporter.

Ryan Reynolds is attached to reprise the wise-cracking mercenary character for what for now is simply being called "Deadpool".

Lauren Shuler Donner and Marvel Studios would act as producers and the project is currently out to writers.

One of the alternate post-credits ends to 'Wolverine' hints that the film would explore the origins of the character.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    oh no, they can't give him his clothes but they can give a skin suit that are a cheap imitation of his clothes, what's next, make his movie worse than electra or daredevil.... Give me a break here... I won't pay to watch a Deadpool movie, not after the crap they pulled in this movie.

Godzero they probably have claim to every character that has appeared in Xmen, Uncanny Xmen, Xforce, New Mutants, Xfactor... So yeah it's quite extensive. I'm surprised they haven't tried making a Cable movie yet.