Home Digital Sketchbooks

sketchbook:SHEPEIRO

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
well just wanted to start one of these, im doing quite a bit of work, but most of it short and test like in nature. so heres my sketch book

been making bones, not sure if its going to become a full level or not yet

lightmapped
fin1.jpg

and in marmoset

marmoset1copy.jpg

removed the metal shit, couldnt get it loooking like i wanted

marmoset2.jpg

Replies

• Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    That's really awesome!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been trying to come up with an idea that i get past blocking out. i want it to be managable but my ideas always turn in to epics, so im trying to keep it a small focused environment, probably ging to try unreal or crysis engine for this.

this is my latest a small ceremonial sacrifice hut, thinking of having some standing stones circling it.

stuff1.jpg

maybe situated in something like this

stuff5.jpg

stuf6.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is something else- its a radial component environment, absolutely melted my brain getting the stair case to work mathematically, but got it, kind of thinking of a fishy themed tower/temple which is half ruined, thinking of the possibility of a fish shaped magical submarine at the bottom half submerged in the water

stuff2.jpg

stuff4.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this one relates too the first few shots of the bone, basically a small arena, of weird bone/spaceship/flying collosus stuff, basically, an excuse to get some nice shapes stuck in some sand
    stuff3.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the other thing im toying with is that ive never made a sci-fi environment, but i wasnt thinking all metal corridors and sliding doors, more of 2001 padded corridors, flat reflective surfaces, cool funky zero-g design
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thoughts are welcome
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Heya Shep,

Cool stuff so far, I personally think its all a tad too surreal for my tastes. i want to see something in there that I can understand. The bones are really wonky and strange and I cant tell what they came from. The huts the only think im instantly familiar with, which is cool, but super basic. And I personally dont like how it looks dug into the ground, makes it difficult to get a cool shot of it.

Don't get me wrong, its all seriously nice eye candy and looks amazing, I just dont get it, or get exactly what your trying to accomplish. Definitely something completely different from your bath house.

Anyways those are my thoughts! Keep it up! Im interested to see where your going with all this.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Those are awesome, I love the shapes you've got going, and the staircase thing you worked out is rad :D

For the sci-fi enviro are you thinking something unrelated to these pieces or connected in some way? I like the idea of it being 2001-esque :)
  • fast1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks really good, thanks for the share.clear.gif
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Man some wicked stuff here. I love the first ones. I have no idea what it is but it looks fantastic.

I like the fishy temple too, I can't imagine how you worked those stairs out. I'm definitely curious about that aspect. It looks like an Escher drawing in that wire shot. It seems a little claustrophobic which might go well with that sort of underwater fish tank feel.

Sweet stuff though, can't wait to see where it all goes.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers folks, yes decided o give the 2001 thing a go, dont think it wil be related to the boney stuff, though i could.....

anyway, decided to make a ship thats based in the 2001 universe but not from the film, so it this ship, a battle ship, did quite alot of research on the web about 2001 and future "real" ship designs and think ive got somethign fairly genuine, it will be a small environment peice, with and exteroir and interior, much more compact than the ship in 2001, more like the craft that they take to the moon, only with a bit more fuel and solar panels and heat radiators that can be folded away for combat and fast manuveures.

gonna work out the interior next week, should be fun

blockout1.jpg

opening.gif
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet stuff Shepeiro, looking forward to padded 2001 interiors
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes padding my thoughts exactly

little fun with shapes at lunch

ship.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blockout went missing so i made a start on this

corridor.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice start, its already got that wierd antigravity feeling like descent in those 2 inside shots
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chers ged

some real times, and a pretty crappy lighting test, need to nail that

corridortex2.jpg

corridortex.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marmoset fun, just kind of playing with what kind of lighting a scene like this needs and therefore which engine to go for.

i kind of want a mix of realtime and directional lightmapping....roll on unreal update please, maybe ill give crysis befor i sit back and wait though

corridortex3.jpg
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Liking the piece so far shep. : ) It'd be neat to see if you could pull off a Alien (those computer rooms) or 2001 lighting scheme. Might take some restraint, but it'd be really refreshing to see.

The small differences between the ceiling/floor and the walls work really great too.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the lightingsgoing to be tricky,lightmapping dosnt seam to give the fidellity i want but its going to be tricky to get good bounced light which is important, just going to keep experimenting.

game engines just are not really suited to this type of lighting and these types of clean clear surfaces with no detail to hide the artefacts, so this should be fun

more marmoset progress

corridortex4.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and finally finished playing with this tonight, a better lightmapped version, thouh i failed to get the self ilumination working on the new fancy refractive lights, in game bloom should stop it from having that weird dull look though

corridortex5.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    been pissing around with this airlock all day, just figured how im going to do the hinge and how its all going to work within the corridor

airlock1.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Looking great so far Shep, it really has that classic sci-fi look to it. And those last 2 hallway renders look sweet. You have mentioned putting this into a game engine several times, just curious but what engine are you planning on using?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers nrek, the corridor shots are actually realtime, not ingame but marmoset and maya screengrabs using shaders.

planning on either crysis engine or unreal, gotta play with both, but think crysis may be better suited looking at the styles of stuff produced
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff mate, I really liked the stairs, dug-in hut and the bones. They stand out in an original way. Are you planning on working them out more? Maybe for the bones make it sometimes go like a sort of corally structure so you can 'walk' up a bit.

Looking forward to more original stuff, keep it up!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finished airlock bake, came out good me thinks should texture it tomorrow.

lighting quality is low cos its too late.

airlock2.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StJoris wrote: »
    Great stuff mate, I really liked the stairs, dug-in hut and the bones. They stand out in an original way. Are you planning on working them out more? Maybe for the bones make it sometimes go like a sort of corally structure so you can 'walk' up a bit.

Looking forward to more original stuff, keep it up!

yep but not at the moment, i had half an idea then came to halt, so im just waiting for the thing to mature a bit in my head befor i do more, talking about the bones thing anyway, the hut is a a quicky as im interested in doing that sort of architecture modular style
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erm some "high poly" fronds im making for a tree that ive been meaning to make for a long time, an oversized chunky RTS style spruce tree

fronds1.jpg

fronds2.jpg
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    hehe I did that a while back too, that part is fun, the second half will start to piss you off.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    which bits that.... i made a quick test branch and that rendered out well, made a few trees befor, quite enjoy it really, i have found that aslong as you keep the meshes seperate maya behaves pretty well, just have to resist the temptation to combine.

just need to model a couple of better branches with uv's then its on to the fun bit, trunk and roots
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    for me it was that fact that i needed huge branches all baked onto one poly, it just saddened me to see it all flat after it looking so good.

Then again i was making it for a realistic FPS not an RTS view...
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aye there is that, i have made this way too detailed, but then as a side project i wanted to do an FPS version too, they will use the same assets to create the branches just different scale of frond/branch

the normal maps on these suckers comes out much better when oversizeing and stylizing than when at realistic scale
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lifedrawing, not too bad considering its the first time for about 5 or 6 years, did loads of five minute poses which are never going to see the light of day, a couple of twenty minutes which were alright and then an hour pose which i did this in, need to speed up
    charcoal pencils were a bit scratchy for my liking
    lifedrawing1.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey look i made something

my besty mate Syd Mead made this awsome dropship concept, and i basically stole the image for the texture, mapping bits of the image to a model then baking that across to a another model with decent UVs, been cleaning it up and creating an underside, not quite finished

pished around with a basic env for it, buts it Pish, gonna change it up for something a bit more concepty, a hand drawn stylee with the textures getting more line drawn and "not there" like a concept sketch gets draws you to the focus by increasing the solidity around the important shit (play area)

q1-1.jpg
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Niiiiceee, I dig this alot!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    awesome! gonna make the game?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'll slip Syd a fiver and im sure he'll lend me the rights yeah
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    rights? shmights!
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks ace man, Thumbs up!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ive nbeen messing with a design like this for ages, started off von a concept i made a couple of years ago, been changed quite a bit since, the idea is f1 car with wings or wipeout with a touch of realism, think im kind of getting there... would like opinions/paintovers etc though....been staring a touch too long

its designed around a magnetic feild style AG system with jets

old concept
    2d1.jpg

new sketch
    sidesketch.jpg

recent model variations
    3-5.jpg

current status
    alot of redbulls 2010 car in the nose
    2-4.jpg
  • Snowman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome stuff man
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grey box doodle, might make it....never know, enjoying just blocking stuff out

thecapatinslovenest.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my sittingroom, well alot nicer version, gonna make it into a photoreal huge version, that you can run around in udk as a 6 inch bundle of fury

still very early, photoshops for assets, temp floor tex no furniture...pretty damn early actually

room1.jpg

some low polys from some HP zbrushy malarky

ceiling1.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interior decorating advice is wecome
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing work my good sir. :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    If you need ideas for interior decorating and furniture ideas. I'd recommend checking out the IKEA catalog. has lots of pics of all the furniture in actual rooms with people.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message