Home General Discussion

So I just saw Star Wars for the first time today...

Yes, you read that right. I finally sat down and watched Episode IV: A New Hope for the first time in my life. I plan on watching the other two later but I was wanting to start a discussion on the series.

So, I liked Star Wars. I think it was pretty good. The art direction was great, the alien designs were crazy awesome, and the whole industrial space architecture was inspired. That said, I still don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Yes, it had some cool setpieces, and the Force and all that, but man, did it rush through things. One minute the farmboy's whining to his aunt about how he wants to go and kill some space nazis, the next he's sobbing over her fried skeleton, and the next he's a gung-ho space pilot kissing his not-yet-sister (from what I heard, it wasn't until Episode V that they decided to throw that twist in). I feel like I'm being a little nitpicky about this, but after all that I had heard about how these movies are practically the Holy Geek Bible, the first one is a little underwhelming. Well, I'm hoping Ep. V will be better- it has Yoda, after all.

But anyway, what do you all think of George Lucas' brain baby? Over-rated? Under-rated? Couldn't care less?

Replies

• Rory_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
  • Cybroxide
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    No matter how much hype and acclaim the original trilogy gets I still feel it is not enough. That being said empire is significantly better that hope. Just my opinions of course. There are a lot of continuity issues with star wars if you really look into it but for some reason I can brush these off and ignore them.

You must understand, I watched the movies nearly everyday as a child and they are pretty much the largest part of my childhood memories.

I can understand why someone might now feel that its not that amazing, but watching them now is a little different than watching them back in the day. So much has been borrowed and Star Wars has really set a lot of standards in scifi. What was awesome and innovative back then is now cliche'd. This is purely speculation though.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    ...?... :polytwitch:
  • Daaark
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    I like Empire Strikes Back. I'm not a fan of the new trilogy at all, and ignored them. Watching Phantom Menace lessened my love for the first three movies.
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Star Trek > Star Wars
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    dude seriously .. what rock have you been hiding under ? are you some sort of Amish that just bought a TV or something.. lol ..

first one was really low budget and yeah rushed second one is my fav of the entire series.

and the other thing is you're watching it in the complete wrong context to how most people watched the first star wars. you have to think about when it was released. Think about the average kind of movie people saw then.. think about the movies people watch now. thats why its special. its like saying charlie chaplin was shit because there wasnt any voice acting..

EDIT
    Geezus wrote: »
    Star Trek > Star Wars

FAIL !!!!!

/EDIT
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    starwars is pretty dope, the original trillogy is where the goodness lies, right up till about where the ewoks show up. the characters are all pretty interesting and the look of everything, the "lived in" universe that lucas created with the help of an amazing team is amazing.

as a kid Jedi was my fav of the series, but now Empire is where its at for me, the story arch is great and overall its a bit more serious and darker than the other 2.

as for the new trillogy, revenge of the sith was my fav but it still didnt come close to any of the older ones for me, the acting was just so bad all around.

starwars is awesome, I loved reading the expanded universe novels back in the day, I still preffer Indy though :P please tell me you have seen those.
  • Mark Dygert
    sniff sniff... humm I smell troll...
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
  • Marcus Dublin
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcus Dublin polycounter lvl 17
    I'm glad to see that you've been enlightened by the force, welcome to the club! By the way I'm curious to know how old you are, teens, twenties, thirties. I'm only asking because you seem content with the visual effects and the look of the film. I was watching the empire strikes back at a friends house and his nephew who was 15 at the time kept commenting on how bad the effects were. This for some odd reason took him completely out of the film. I guess his generation was brought up in a post Matrix world of bullet time and overused green screen, go figure.
  • Matthew Blake
    Actually, I really liked the Charlie Chaplin shorts. I'm also a fan of the Marx brothers, but that's beside the point.

As for why it took me so long to actually get around to watching these... well, for one, I didn't really feel like I needed to. So much of the original trilogy was ingrained in the public consciousness by the time I was born, that I basically knew everything about the movies without ever having to actually see them. Seriously, it seemed like a requirement for 90's shows to quote Star Wars, especially if it was "I am your father". One of the greatest plot twists, turned into a weak punchline.

I was also part of the generation that grew up with the prequel trilogy, so that may be another reason for it. My memory of those movies are kind of hazy, but I don't recall them being all that bad. They probably just look bad compared to the originals, I guess.

As for the original trilogy, I do love a lot of the stuff they put into it. Although I never saw the movies as a kid, I remember checking out those encyclopedias on all the crazy wildlife they came up with. Reading that, and then seeing all the creatures in the cantina scene go flashing by was kind of disappointing, in a way.

Oh, and to answer your question, I'm eighteen, but I'm a huge animation nut (I'm actually going to college for it!), so the stop motion effects don't bother me in the slightest. I also love the vector graphics on all the computers- it makes the display surprisingly timeless, if you understand what I mean.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Matthew: A lot of the impact really has to do with the "when" of the films being released.

It like how toy-story isn't all that impressive today, but was a landmark the time.
    The films are not without their faults, as any films are.

The big issue about the new three vs the old three is the quality of characters and overall writing in general. So many of the good things in the original 3 come from the directors. The new three had the disadvantage of being, as you said, just ingrained in the culture. So I think the quality suffered a bit. Anyway I have a whine list a mile long about the new trilogy, but I don't want to get into all that.

Quickest way I can think to sum it up is this:
    The original trilogy was character driven. The new trilogy was technology driven.
  • Ruz
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I remember when the original star wars first came out, it was f***ing huge, though I can't

remember being a huge fan. I am still not , although I kind of like it.

One of my mate had a light saber and that was pretty cool as an 8 year old

The later versions were pretty poor in comparison
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I think most people are huge star wars fans because they remember what it was like watching it when they were six years old. I actually had never seen it straight through, beginning to end until last year; the story and dialogue is actually incredibly cheesy. In comparison, I think most fanboys hated episode one only because they were actually adults when they saw it and not six years old. I have heard from friends with kids that the kids like episode one considerably more than episode four.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    nahh, Alien+Predator owns all

Star treck is ridiculous (their characters sux sux, humans with ridiculous makeup and simple story), and Star wars, it's like a mental marturbation LOL ("pajote mental"). I'm quite old now, but when i was a child, i said mayself, what the hell is this film? the force?. It had the same level of paranoia as too many japanese animes, jedis... omg.

Almost all space films are not credible. Films like these, for a broad public, are not of my taste. I'm sure too much people love the Dragon Ball film ¬¬

I laughted a lot when i watched yoda fighting like a sonic with his light saber, that's not serious, he had difficulties to walk... and in just a second, he's super Sonic! with super mega powers of jedi.. c'mon ¬¬

Stars wars = Total Paranoia with non futuristic designs and ridiculous aliens (they didn't have ipods omg!)

Sorry if i offend some Fanboy :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I first saw Star Wars when I was about 13, and I thought the special effects were way better than anything I'd seen before. That was in about 1995, so CG wasn't quite to the point where it was indistinguishable from practical effects yet, so I thought it was pretty amazing how seamless almost everything felt in Star Wars.

Most movies weren't even attempting to make fantastic/alien settings that were as detailed and teeming-with-life as Star Wars again yet either. There were plenty of awesome scenes in other movies (parts of Robocop, the post-apocalypse scenes in T2, parts of The Neverending Story, Total Recall, etc) but pretty much nothing that had stuff like that in pretty much every scene throughout the whole movie. Nowadays, there are movies that do that kind of stuff all the time. It's almost the standard for scifi action now.

I liked Phantom Menace when it first came out too. As a whole, the new trilogy isn't as cool as the originals, but the first time I watched Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan thrust their sabers right through a big metal door, and then start doing all kinds of crazy flips and stuff, I was like O__O.
  • Matthew Blake
    Sorry, but what exactly do you mean by paranoia?
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Blazier, I think something is lost in translation here:
    "Paranoia is a thought process characterized by excessive anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion"
  • fast1
    what took you so long to get started on star wars?clear.gif
  • Matthew Blake
    Part of it's what I mentioned earlier, about how Star Wars has basically become fully integrated in the pop culture psyche. The other part is that I was busy absorbing other media- Hayao Miyazaki's films, Alan Moore's comics, Terry Pratchett's novels- they were things that I was unfamiliar with, so I had every reason to dive in and experience them firsthand. I was also pretty young when the prequels came out, so the originals had less relevance to me than the people from the previous generation. Speaking of which, I actually didn't mind the prequels that much- Phantom Menace was a lot of fun for me, I nearly fell asleep during the Clone Wars, but the homage shots at the end of Revenge of the Sith gave even me spine-tingles (another part of the movie that I was aware of through secondhand sources).
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Paranoia is when NOBODY is out to get you.

:D

61074_harrypotterstarwars.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    I think most people are huge star wars fans because they remember what it was like watching it when they were six years old. I actually had never seen it straight through, beginning to end until last year; the story and dialogue is actually incredibly cheesy. In comparison, I think most fanboys hated episode one only because they were actually adults when they saw it and not six years old. I have heard from friends with kids that the kids like episode one considerably more than episode four.
    Yep that's how it was with my nephews. They really like Kenobi and the clones, they aren't so keen on Anakin, he wines and broods too much. I feel toward the new ones, how they feel about the old. Pretty good, some really cheesy stuff but still entertaining.

Personally I like Empire because it had such a huge impact on my tiny 5 year old brain, it was also the first "big movie" I got to go see, and it scared the pants off of me at points. What a ride. I never saw the first one until it came out on tape, but my brother filled me in (he's 6 years older then me) long before I saw it. We also got into Return because our backyard was Endor. I was not hot on the ewoks (their action figures didn't move that well and they couldn't hold guns).

They're still good to watch, incredibly cheesy but its more fun to connect to the memories that spun off of Star Wars. Without those, it probably would have very little to offer. I'm glad it came along and influenced as much as it did. I'm not sure Sci-fi would be what it is today without it.
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I'm with Vig on this one. I really can't imagine anyone on a game related forum not having watched starwars, and having the balls to make a thread about it. Although you never know with young kids today. No values.
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I think Lucas could have set a very different tone to the SW universe if he had kept the mood from THX-1138, which was supposed to be the starting point of SW. Of course it wouldnt have appealed to such a wide audience.

If you have seen star wars this late, i assume you didnt enjoy spaceballs as much...or you havent seen it at all?. I totally agree with Vig, i liked it so much when i was a kid and now i think it's the memories that i enjoy most.
  • greenj2
    ***SPOILERS INSIDE*** (For those still yet to see Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.) :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6lzEhoXads[/ame]
  • Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    jox wrote: »

AHAHAH!!! Awesome.

But I guess this just shows how the plot and characters were a basis for what was to come and how it influenced our culture so deeply? That or how Harry Potter just stole bits of pieces of every popular story until it became a best seller. :P

After being raised in the Simpsons generation where I knew all the Star Wars cliches and seeing the Epi I-III, I finally actually watched the original triology. And thought it was really awesome.. becuase you could just FEEL something genuine about it, about the characters and the story and all. And it just fills you with a sense of imagination... not that it was necassarialy the best made movie ever, but the original trilogy had that 'it' thing going for it.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I love when people say Star Wars wasn't awesome. If you consider the team that made this with their own money, and all the technical limitations, even if the plot was crap which it wasn't at all, these films are masterpieces, just based on the FXs alone. In 1977 there was nothing similar to Star Wars, not even close. These films still hold up to movies that have ton of CG, in everything. No I'm not a fan boy it's just reality, the new Star Wars movies didn't hold up because the first three were that damn good, it's as simple as that. If you watch an episode of Mash or watched the Godfather again you probably think the way they talked was kind of cheesy but part of that is how times "change". To be honest I wish Lucas had targeted adults instead of children when he made Phantom Menace. Revenge of the Sith was pretty dark, but how the fight with Anakin ended sort of ruined it for me.... It just seemed unresolved, all of the three prequels suffered from that, they seemed rushed and incomplete story wise I mean. Also Anakin as an adult left a lot to be desired, unlike Luke Skywalker. Anakin in the Clone Wars, the cartoons, is way better as a character than the one portrayed in the films. When I watch the trilogy even now it makes me want to see what happens to Luke, Lea, Solo after the Empire was defeated, but when I watch the prequels, it makes me wonder, so that was the clone wars, that was it. Hmmm.

The biggest issue I had with the prequels was that they felt like remakes of the first trilogy and Anakin was a little bitch. How about aggressive use of the force, and just fighting in a more savage way to show he is going dark instead of a bunch of whining.

At Jox. I think you can say that about any movie if you break it down like that. Harry Potter in terms of what the viewer experiences, to me at least, Harry Potter feels very different from Star Wars. You can say the same thing about the Lord of the Rings movies if you compare them to Star Wars the way you did :D, but the experience is very different and unique. Here is a similar example, Alien, Aliens and Predator, both movies feature humans being hunted by an alien creature, yet the experience of the viewer gets is very different. With Stars Wars and Harry Potter each film feels "new" in a way, they add something to story, where for example say Jurrassic Park films just feel like a remake of the first film, although they were fun.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    this thread is verry similar to the thread about playing hl2 for the first time.

sure year laters after everyone else has stolen everything from the sources and treaked and fine tuned it, it would not be overly impressive. but compair it to other flicks of around the same time. like logans run, and disneys black hole. its easy to see how advanced these movies were for their time. the big thing about star wars is it let sci fi become respected cinema. ridley scott said himselff he could not recieve any backing for alien untill star wars became a hit. star wars also provided an example of a sci fi movie being taken seriously. with costumes that felt believalbe for the time and characters. and not every one either wearing silver spandex or medieval robes despite their social class.
  • Mark Dygert
    I agree with mojokey. I also think that if you wait this long to see a movie and you see a lot of movies that have been influenced by this one, you're seeing it a little at a time. Nothings new its all been done before in your eyes at least. Also having it so heavily ingrained and so widely watched everyone talks about it openly.

The time to put [spoilers] tags on, has long since past. So the cats out of the bag, you know soilent green is people, you know rose bud is a sled, you know the magicians tricks before he does them because you've watched it a little at a time.

There was a time when "no, I am your father" was holy shit, instead of a bad punch line. If all you've ever known is the joke you've been programed to laugh on cue dispite how intense the moment might actually be.
  • Matthew Blake
    All right, so I finished watching Empire last night. Holy crap, that was awesome. Within five minutes I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen to Luke and company. Everything seemed bumped up: the stakes were somehow higher, mostly due to a better focus on the characters' relationships with eachother, the lines were snappier, the effects were cooler (Walkers were always one of my favorite things from the Star Wars universe)- heck, even the editing was tighter! I was surprised to see how Yoda was originally portrayed; they really made him seem like a crazy old hermit, rather than giving his identity away right off the bat. Frank Oz's portrayal made one of my favorite characters even better. The scenes leading up towards the end got intense. Han Solo's muffled screams, Chewie's howls, and that last little exchange between Leia and Solo-

"I love you!"
    "I know."

BAD. ASS.

And then it came to the big reveal. I was surprised how much it affected me. I knew it going in- I had known the big twist for practically my whole life- but it was still shocking. Major kudos to them for pulling it off. THIS is what I expected Star Wars to be like.

One thing that was kinda weird for me was whenever Luke and Leia kissed. Seeing as I already knew they were brother and sister, I just kinda squirmed.
  • Rory_M
    Offline / Send Message
    The scenes leading up towards the end got intense. Han Solo's muffled screams, Chewie's howls, and that last little exchange between Leia and Solo-

"I love you!"
    "I know."

BAD. ASS.

haha yea, the funny thing about that line was that it wasn't even in the script. I think it was just an ad lib from Harrison Ford and it turned out to be one of the best movie lines ever.
  • Daaark
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage wrote: »
    I love when people say Star Wars wasn't awesome. If you consider the team that made this with their own money, and all the technical limitations, even if the plot was crap which it wasn't at all, these films are masterpieces, just based on the FXs alone.
    So Plan 9 From Outer Space is a masterpiece by that logic? Every movie is made with someone's own money under all kinds of limitations. Time, technology, etc...

I loved Star Wars in the late 90s. Nothing beyond owning the remastered VHS editions though. But back then, the series was something different. Then the new series started up, and all the re-edits and retcons began. To me, the most interesting guy in the whole thing was always Ford/Solo, and then they even went back and made changes to the movies that completely changed the tone of his character.

To me, the franchise has been spoiled by Lucas' constant tinkering with it. He should have left it alone, and not butchered the old films to allow for the new prequel story he wrote to work.

I probably would have been more receptive to the newer films if they told a different story. I'm sure there were other events that happened in that universe. Like maybe a trilogy where Darth Maul was the main villain. Instead, they just beat a dead horse to set up the events to a story we knew the ending to 20 years ago.

smiley_beatin_horse_ani.gif

I don't remember people 10 years ago saying the old Trilogy would have been much better if a CGI Jabba the Hut was inserted back into the suddenly retitled Episode 4: A New Hope.

So along the way of all of this, I just stopped caring about the whole SW brand.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I just like the Rancor.... Buy me one
  • arlrex
    jox wrote: »
    Paranoia is when NOBODY is out to get you.

Hehe, you just made my day jox.

I never was a fan of star wars myself, I was exited as a kid when my father bought me the trilogy in VHS but after watching them I was like meh. Not my cup of tea like some say. The models for the small battle ships are cool though :thumbup:
  • glib
    Daaark wrote: »
    So Plan 9 From Outer Space is a masterpiece by that logic? Every movie is made with someone's own money under all kinds of limitations. Time, technology, etc...

I loved Star Wars in the late 90s. Nothing beyond owning the remastered VHS editions though. But back then, the series was something different. Then the new series started up, and all the re-edits and retcons began. To me, the most interesting guy in the whole thing was always Ford/Solo, and then they even went back and made changes to the movies that completely changed the tone of his character.

To me, the franchise has been spoiled by Lucas' constant tinkering with it. He should have left it alone, and not butchered the old films to allow for the new prequel story he wrote to work.

I probably would have been more receptive to the newer films if they told a different story. I'm sure there were other events that happened in that universe. Like maybe a trilogy where Darth Maul was the main villain. Instead, they just beat a dead horse to set up the events to a story we knew the ending to 20 years ago.

smiley_beatin_horse_ani.gif

I don't remember people 10 years ago saying the old Trilogy would have been much better if a CGI Jabba the Hut was inserted back into the suddenly retitled Episode 4: A New Hope.

So along the way of all of this, I just stopped caring about the whole SW brand.

Wait, wait... all the changes you're complaining about like adding jabba, 'changing' characters (yes, han shot first... but is it really a huge deal to the overall character arc?) etc. were all added FOR the remastered versions that you remember so fondly, not after. There were no changes to the original 3 after they started on the new trilogy. It was always called Episode IV: A New Hope in the opening crawl, just not originally in the title sequence since FOX wouldn't allow it. It was changed in the title in 1981, which is a long while before the remasters. I've always thought adding jabba in was one of the best changes they made, but then I grew up long after ROTJ had been released so jabba as a big slug was already ingrained in my mind. It just felt like they were fixing up a continuity error by doing that.
  • Daaark
    Offline / Send Message
    were all added FOR the remastered versions that you remember so fondly, not after.
    Nope. The remastered VHS versions I said I owned came out a year before the new 1997 'SPECIAL EDITION' versions came out again in theaters and were released as new VHS tapes. The reason I own those ones is because they were the ones available at the time.
    There were no changes to the original 3 after they started on the new trilogy.

Wrong.

The Greedo / Han scene has already been fucked with a few times since the 1997 releases, and they now shoot almost at the same time. This happened on the 2006 DVD re-released that were each film had about 100 edits and changes made after the already changed 1997 versions.

As for Jabba, that scene has been redone too, with a new reaction when Han steps on his tail.

Also, some old characters have been replaced with actors from the new Trilogy. Even Phantom Menace has had some changes done since it's first DVD release.

Every time there is a new home video release of these movies, there is a laundry list of changes made to it. He continually fucks with the movies. New inserts were being filmed to keep inserting into the old movies during the making of the last one. The ending of Jedi was changed and expanded in the last DVD release, and has Hayden's version of Vader imposed over the old actor's ghost image.

Here: I went and found this for you as a citation.

Just wait until the eventual blue ray release. ;)

Anyways, I never said that the changes made them bad movies. Just that I lost interest in them. I still like Empire. The beginning of Jedi is cool too. I have no desire to see Episode 3, and what I did see of Episode 2 bored me to the point where I just shut it off and never came back to it.
  • glib
    I stand corrected. I've been out-StarWarsed.
    Daaark wrote: »
    Anyways, I never said that the changes made them bad movies. Just that I lost interest in them. I still like Empire. The beginning of Jedi is cool too. I have no desire to see Episode 3, and what I did see of Episode 2 bored me to the point where I just shut it off and never came back to it.

I've ranked the whole 6 from best to worst a couple of times with different people, and everyone seems to have the same order:
    5, 4, 6, 3, 1, 2

The third one is actually semi-decent, if only to see how everything went down, and some decent fighting between anakin and obi wan.

I'm really curious about what the OP's reaction is going to be to the new trilogy after recently seeing the older trilogy for the first time.
  • Daaark
    Offline / Send Message
    As I type this, Colbert is eating an Ewok. :D
  • [MILES]
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Well, on the subject of Lucas's tinkering, he's moved from Star Wars and onto Indiana Jones.... Free Hat is coming true...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIH46G9_3SU[/ame]
  • Mark Dygert
    While I do dislike some of the new edits they put in the old movies, Han shot first, mini jaba the jut. I think they manged to do some good things too. I liked the subtle CG, like the:
    - Added creatures in Mos Eisley, big dino looking thing.
    - The Dewback on the hill when they're searching for the droids.
    - The flying droid when Kenobi said "these are not the droids you're looking for".
    - The added shoot out when they leave Tatooine.
    - changing the cardboard cut out to actual humans in the end scene was nice.

All nice little touches that where prefect examples them doing just enough. When you get it right, no one notices, but when you get it wrong... watch out... and they got it quite a few times.
  • Daaark
    Offline / Send Message
    Now I'm half inclined to see if there is an exhaustive list of changes between the 2 recent DVD releases of the first Indy 3 movies.

One a side note, I didn't like Indy 4 or Die Hard 4 that much. They took so many liberties with the laws of physics, making their heroes like Super Mario or something. to me they don't feel like a proper part of their series.

I guess that's the rule of 4. The worst part of any trilogy is the fourth.
    changing the cardboard cut out to actual humans in the end scene was nice.
    I was curious about that one. Is there a side by side I can see somewhere?
  • Matthew Blake
    I just finished Return of the Jedi. I gotta say that I agree with what a lot of other people said about the movie:

a)It's much lighter than Empire
    b)The final space battle was entertaining
    c)The Ewoks are ridiculous (and ridiculously cute)

It reminded me most of Episode IV, which I suppose is the point, seeing as it's the penultimate chapter. Actually, the whole 'full circle' feeling came about in a few ways that most of the people in this discussion probably wouldn't get. Most of the people that I've talked to saw the originals first, then the prequels, so their impression of the series as a whole is likely to be different than mine (having watched it in chronological order). The end of Episode III was clearly supposed to bring about that 'full circle' feeling, incorporating a lot of direct references and even shots from Episode IV. Although I was able to appreciate those, due to the "cultural osmosis" that I mentioned earlier, it wasn't quite as big of an emotional impact as it probably should have been. What's really interesting, then, is that I had the feeling occur in the final confrontation between Vader, Luke, and the Emperor. As Vader watched his own son be electrocuted by Palpatine, I got flashbacks of the prequels- there was young Anakin in his little pod racer, there was Anakin romancing Padme with awkwardly stiff dialogue, there was Anakin slaughtering all of the Jedi children, there was Anakin putting on the suit and becoming Darth Vader- and suddenly it all made sense.

Star Wars is about Anakin Skywalker.

Yes, big whoop, and it's not as if I hadn't already heard it a thousand times before. But now I could actually see the whole thing, all together at last. It took six films and over twenty years, but Lucas captured the whole entire life of a fictional character, from birth to death in cinematic form. That in itself is impressive, a physical example of being more than the sum of its parts.

But this is just my rambling. What do you all think of the series as a whole?
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Star Wars was always about Luke's saga, it wasn't until the prequels came out that is was about Anakin's rise and fall.

It sucks that you have seen Star Wars so late in life Matthew. Before 1997 Star Wars was the shit, and most of my early memories are of me watching Star Wars or playing with Star Wars action figures. Ever since the Special Editions, Prequels, Clone Wars ... Stars Wars has been dead to me. I'll try to hold onto those pre-1997 feelings as long as possible, but yea, nothing will ever restore the magic. What's even worse is that Lucas is now fucking up Indiana Jones. He must be stopped.
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    I like Star Wars even more now than when I was a kid and I could probably say with complete honesty I've been a Star Wars fan since before I was old enough to know what Star Wars was (29 years old now). I have most of the novels (excepting the X-Wing series and Clone Wars novels set between Ep2 and 3), collecting the trade paper backs of the Legacy comics, own several of the RPG books (WEG, d20, and Saga) and enjoy watching the 3D Clone Wars series on Cartoon Network.

Jar-Jar and the Ewoks don't annoy me at all. Natalie Portman's bad acting in several scenes does.

I will agree some the changes to the Original Trilogy are bad. filling out Mos Eisley = good. cg on C3-PO and Luke's landspeeder during that scene = crap. musical number in Return of the Jedi = bad.

that said I don't make a habit of letting moments of poorly done writing/cg/acting ruin things for me.
  • Quokimbo
    I have seen bits and pieces of some of them, but I have never any seen a Star Wars film from beginning to end...
  • TWilson
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    May the 4th be with you.

:|
  • Rory_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Star Wars is about Anakin Skywalker.

Star Wars is all about R2 imo. He's in all 6 movies and will probably be in the next 3. Even jedi cant do jack without him.
  • dolemite
    If you'd live through the 60s you would have been so bored with Science Fiction after watching the communist drivel like "The Day the Earth Stood still." Or "Slime People" or "This Island Earth" or whatever.

People had never heard of Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress." Samurai epics were too boring for mainstream audiences. So Lucas shoehorned the visual sensibilities of Kurosawa with a genre that had a loyal audience. Guess what?! It was chocolate and peanut butter. And nobody had ever seen anything like it.

Also, after the 60s people were tired of being socially conscious. StarWars doesn't end with a 10 minute monologue from an "alien" man in tin foil preaching about the evils of nuclear power. For a lot of people it was very refreshing to just be romantic and have fun. it was the movie people needed at the time.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I hated that they changed the original music of the Ewoks in Return of the jedi, to what whatever it is now in the extended editions. That just destroyed the experience for me at the end. I liked that they showed the different worlds celebrating, but the old music was really nice, it just made you feel happy after what Luke went through. Terrible choice. For the most part I did like the what they added to the movies. i liked seeing the insides of the xwings and their pilots for example. I wish they had made the fights longer, they didn't seem any different.