Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gas tank prop

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
JostVice polycounter lvl 12
Hello there... made this prop for a mod I'm working on, but I don't like the texture at all. Anyone has suggestions or ideas?

No normals/bumps/specular support, only vertex colors in this game

I'm open to constructive critics :)

th_gastankprop.jpg th_gastankprop2.jpg th_gastankwire.jpg th_wireframegas.jpg

And here is the texture

th_GP_jvgastank.jpg

Replies

• jaball
    hey jostvice

this post grabbed my attention cause the first model I textured was one of these tanks! Anyway, my first thought would be change the color from green. I am no expert in the fuel tank field but I have not seen many green tanks.

I dont know the context of this scene but I would dirty this thing up as much as possible! Rust, Dirt, Filth, maybe slop up the paint on "paradise Gas", make it look old. Again this is all assuming that you can make it look dirty, I dont know if it is suppose to be clean or not. but in my meager experiance in this industry I found that making stuff dirty is some good clean fun! lol no pun intended!

Makin it white or grey may make it more identifiable to people, when I first saw it I didnt think fuel tank...

Most of all thou you should just start gathering reference. Im sure a google search would yeild some results! if not there are usually some of these in every town ive been in. take pictures and use photo reference for your textures.

you have a great start here and a perfect model for some interesting textures! keep it up and hope to see some updates!
  • JostVice
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey :)

I will try to change the colour to white/grey, and try to add some brown rust. I didn't say the context but the mod is on a tropical environment (jungle) and city.

I will try and add more dirt everywhere and add grunge to the text.

Thank you :D
  • fast1
    hope to see the updated version, good job thoughclear.gif
  • JostVice
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here is a fast edit in the texture. Changed the colour, added some rust in some parts, erased the text, added highlights at the borders... I like how its going! :D

gastank.jpg
  • Ben Apuna
    Good job getting it this far. I know you want to move on with the textures here and jaball has given some good advice. But you might want to consider going back a step and relaying out the UVs. Right now the texture is looking a bit blurry, by mirroring and stacking some of those UVs you would be able to get more detail on that tank, or use a smaller texture. I hope this helps.
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah and do your UVs using checkers to avoid wrong texel ratio like on your current model. You can see the texels are quite streched on the tank metal.

Also, avoid dark places in your diffuse, even if it's not for the 'next'-gen machines. A black area in your diffuse is a place that even vertex color wont be able to illuminate.

Also, some less segments on the pipes and more for chamfering bigger volumes like the gas tank would be better and more noticeable.
  • vofff
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    did u add AO to it? It looks flat to me. Or maybe u havent added NM yet.
  • theDEAD
    JostVice -

Good start so far; my crit sorta falls where ParoXum's crit was going...

Taking a look at the large cylinder that makes up the mass of the tank, it seems a bit too low poly for my taste. For such a large object, it would be nice to see a little higher poly to round it off just a bit more.

When I compare the small hoses; they seem higher poly than the large tank. Perhaps distributing some of those poly's from the hose into the large tank would give us a smoother result in the silhouette's without taking too much away from the hoses.

Aside from the other valid crits - I like the 2nd rendition much better. The brown rusty color is reading well, and the highlight you've added on the edge has improved by uniting the tanks texture as a whole.

Keep on truckin man, looks good!