Home General Discussion

Borderlands redesign

ae.
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ae. polycounter lvl 12
Well borderlands has a tottally different art style now wich i think is awesome!

borderlands.jpg

i wasent feeling the old gritty stuff they had didnt have me interested in the game at all, but with this new look they peaked my interest!

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty sweet, reminds me of Geof Darrow's style
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I am so happy that this is finally out. Wait until you guys see more, the screenshots don't really do justice to the game in action.

As an artist, this new style has been a total blast to work on after doing photo-realistic stuff for the past several years.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Oh man I can't wait to see more. Hmmmm....
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    wowo crazy- does anyone know if there's some magical shader tech behind this? Otherwise it seems like the same artist would have to hand touch every texture so everything has the same look and feel. i could be way off, and its possible that is just concept art- but bits here and there look faceted and 3d.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct wrote: »
    wowo crazy- does anyone know if there's some magical shader tech behind this? Otherwise it seems like the same artist would have to hand touch every texture so everything has the same look and feel.

not sure how much I am allowed to say about this so my only answer is "not really" to both your question and commment.
    i could be way off, and its possible that is just concept art- but bits here and there look faceted and 3d.

It's not concept art.
  • HausFly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HausFly polycounter lvl 17
    From the few shots I've seen, I think it looks really cool. Can't wait to see more environment screens and see it in motion. The new style also helps the game not look like the bastard son of Rage.

When reading comments and articles on other sites, it's funny how limited the terminology of some gamers can be.
    Any game with painterly textures = TF2
    Any unique shaders (falloff, phong, etc) = Cell Shading
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    that is looking pretty freaking sweet Astro :)
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    looking forward to seeing what gearbox has done with it, from the last time I saw it. :D
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    0041fc.jpg

I like the new artistic direction !
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Yep that looks really cool. I've liked the style and mood in the old trailer but this is even nicer. Can't wait to see some non-scans.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    It's not quite as stylised looking in the actual game...I was all excited about a game that was completely off my radar when I saw the cover, but the in game shots just look like Prince of Persia. Whereas the cover looks a lot more graphic, like a scanner darkly.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    its a good change, post processing or whatever... before this borderlands looked quite generic and now I'll be keeping an eye out for it!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hah, its weird seeing the old PCGAMER font again, guess the US mag never changed it
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Very excited for this :)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    :S what happened to her boobies..
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness wrote: »
    :S what happened to her boobies..

They appear to have been surgically attached to her trapezius'.

Love the new look. I love the growing trend to take current-gen tech and applying to something OTHER than hyper-realism.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Nice! It's examples like this that show a good change in art direction can make a game a ton more interesting. Can't wait to see some videos of it in action!
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I think the new style looks stunning and much more eye catching. It actually calls out to me, instead of being lost in a sea of games that all look the same.

This is one of the nicer cel shading methods you can use, becuase it really does look stunning in motion.

That, and any game that has even ONE PERCENT like Crackdown in it has to be good, ebcuae Crackdown is one of theb est and most fun games this gen. FACT.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, Borderlands really was becoming the definition of generic. Makes all the difference!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    glib wrote: »
    They appear to have been surgically attached to her trapezius'.

Love the new look. I love the growing trend to take current-gen tech and applying to something OTHER than hyper-realism.

whats that? her ass ? her forehead?
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    This is one of the nicer cel shading methods you can use, becuase it really does look stunning in motion.

errrr ... it's not really, exactly "cel shading" but it does look stunning in motion :)
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Am I the only person that thinks this doesn't look good? Going the cell shading + fake pen lines route to imitate comic art never looks good to me, but this especially feels like an artistic cop-out. And saying it's not cell shading is wishful thinking, this is very much so just cell shading with some extra diffuse.

The model looks almost flat shaded on the cover with a texture that looks like it took no more than 15 minutes. I really hope it looks very different when they show it all together as in game footage but I have pretty low hopes. Possibly being over critical due to my attachment to the genre (or in this case a nearness to the genre), but I really dont want to see this kind of thing pick up as the next trend. Fallout 3 did enough to damage post-apocalyptic games.
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    Sandbag don't be a hater
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, but this is no more "cel-shading" than World of Warcraft or Ratchet and Clank. Non-photo-realistic /= cel-shading.

As far as being an "artistic cop-out," I can tell you that it takes much more artistic effort and ability to hit this style than "photo-realism."
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    10.99 in canada!? Fuck that magazine has gotten expensive.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's not hard to make, most people just aren't good at it. The down and dirty of it is much less work than realism based art it just takes a lot more talent to pull off convincingly.

I do look forward to seeing how the environments turn out for this, they could possibly save it (for my personal tastes of course).
  • system404
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    system404 polycounter lvl 17
    if something is not hard to make yet most people can't do it, doesn't that mean it's hard to do?

Anyway I'm glad for the new style, can't wait to see how it will all turn out!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    system404 wrote: »
    if something is not hard to make yet most people can't do it, doesn't that mean it's hard to do?

Anyway I'm glad for the new style, can't wait to see how it will all turn out!

I think what he was saying is that it is less *time consuming*, but you need artists that know what they are doing. It can be hard to pull of the style, that is where the difficulty comes in, but if you have artists that can do that, i think it could be easier AND less time consuming than realism stuff. As far as singular assets go at least.

I think the major difficulties come in when you're talking about overall art direction. How do you get an entire team of artists to create cohesive assets for a very particular style like this? How do you get your effects and lighting to match up in the same style? Etc...

At the end of the day, only people who have actually done both styles and could tell you which is easier/harder to do here are the people who've worked on both revisions of the game. Without seeing the assets up close, knowing what effects are being used, and hell producing assets for both styles for this specific game, its just plain silly to try and say which method is easier. So i would tend to take Astro's word for it when he says this style is more difficult to pull off.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it.

Way to stand out against every other generic realism based game.

Now here's to hoping the gameplay will be fun.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Am I the only one that thinks that the cover image looks just bad !?!
    at some parts there is even no ducts (all mouse painted ?) and for example the head texture is obviously drawn in a higher res. but with the same line thickness. Imo. a bad cover art
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks really good in motion.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Hay astro, it looks like a mouse painted your ducks!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Looks great, I'm more interested than before. Previously I was anticipating some fresh new gameplay, now there are fresh visuals to go with it which means the chances of my having fun simply wandering the world have gone up too :)
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hay astro, it looks like a mouse painted your ducks!

Yea, not sure what we could have done about that, the hamster was all tied up painting our geese.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    odium wrote: »
    I think the new style looks stunning and much more eye catching. It actually calls out to me, instead of being lost in a sea of games that all look the same.

That, and any game that has even ONE PERCENT like Crackdown in it has to be good, ebcuae Crackdown is one of theb est and most fun games this gen. FACT.

Crackdown had some amazing running/jumping climbing and crap shooting, worse melee, and laughable driving. Its probably the only game where finding the collectables is really fun...but thats the only part of it that is really fun.

I dig this style and I like the push away from photorealistic rendering in action games, so I'm all for more games adopting this sort of look.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I dunno. I am clearly in the minority here. I'm lukewarm on this new style. Its not really doing anything for me.
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Scan looks really good. Definitely brought this back on the radar for me. With so many games looking the same lately it's nice to see developers looking to set themselves apart from the rest. Hopefully it's fun and sells well so we see more of this.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    It's a bit of a shame that it doesn't look like it'll hold up particularly well from a distance - at least from the small pictures on Renaud's screenshots, it's hard to see it differ from a generic style and the size on that picture is hardly an unusually small amount of screen space for an enemy in a typical game. That said, it looks rather good and I'm excited to see it in motion :) .
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I was already stoked for this when I saw it awhile back. I'm even more interested now with the new direction. This must be a blast to work on Astro. :)
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58186

In game shot. I like it. Looks like it would be a fun style to work with. Maybe we can get some more specific info on the art side of things from anyone working on it here.

I think this link has a better resolution than the shacknews one.
    http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/images/screens/full/borderlands_ss1_full.jpg
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    looks amazing!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly these ingame shots to me look a lot better than what was on the cover.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the cover is very bad,- ingame is ~ok but nothing spectactular
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yeah definatly intresting- I read an article somwhere about the "concept art style" and I`m not really buying it- diff maps look more rich in color which is cool- and things have a dark edge. I`m probably totally glossing over something obvious, but I dont entierly get whats going on thats making such a stir. the dude on the cover has some sketch lines on his diff, which I always thought looked cool- strangly enough this has already been done before and no one made a peep about it:

Afro samurai
    AfroSamuraiD.jpg

not the best of games, but it seems to have a similar style just not as finnesed as borderlands.

*edit- not trying to derail the thread, but in the name of bad ass video game art- these some SWEET character renders in this gallery:
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the art in Afro Samurai. Anime is pretty cool as well. Anyone interested should check out this guys blog who did characters for the game. Fantastic work.

http://www.tempsketches.blogspot.com/
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Bright blue mid-day sky, long evening shadows, light blue hard shadows on ground, almost black soft shadows on characters, harsh glossy highlights on wall, very matte everything else, light direction looks very different on some objects, ambient shading looks very different on some objects, very painterly effects on some textures, very realistic noisy effects on others, very inconsistent use of out-lining, nice small details that you absolutely can't see because characters are always going to be small on screen, muddy medium/large sale forms ruined by super harsh inconsistent lighting model...

Overall impression is 'okay', but what part of this was supposed to be exciting that Afro Samurai, Valkyria Chronicles, and Team Fortress 2 haven't already done better?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Would be nice if someone could chime in with a critical review of their new image so that we co-..

..oh, hey!
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guitar Hero anatomy = :(

I agree with acc's assesment. Additionally, is the girl undead? She lives on a desert planet and she's not just pale, she's BLUE. Not exactly an oxygen rich environment? She better be some kind of Ghoul or something for that complexion...
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, I can't believe we shipped the game like that ... oh wait, no we didn't.

Feel free to nitpick our WIP all you want. I'm pretty confident we'll be seeing some high graphics review scores once we're on the shelf ... hell, high scores all around for that matter :p Especially considering that a huge majority of feedback from the couple of screenshots that are out there has been overwhelmingly positive.

As far as Lilith and her skin tone goes, Sandbag, you are assuming that she is a normal human that has spent her entire life on that planet. Not the case.
This discussion has been closed.