Home General Discussion

tesla sedan

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
http://jalopnik.com/5185844/tesla-model-s-sedan-concept-49900-seven+seater-electric-to-hit-streets-in-2011
"300-mile range, 45-minute fast charge capability, a 0-to-60 time of 5.5-seconds and seat seven. Production supposedly starts 3rd quarter of 2011."
and
"Sport and AWD models are being planned, but the stock model can run 0-60 MPH in 5.5 seconds using its single-speed transmission."

http://i.gizmodo.com/5185966/first-look-at-teslas-fantastically-giant-touch-lcd-console

all under 50k.

WOW!

Replies

• glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't see how that seats 7. There are no good pictures of it, but every shot I can see makes it look like a standard sedan with 2 buckets and a bench seat. There's no way there's room in there for another pair of bucket seats.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a 5 seater, but with fold down kids seats in the back. I'm pretty sure someone saw the drop down seats and thought that they needed to be mentioned. Its a 5 seater for sure though.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Looking forward to seeing this one... maybe even buying one. Either way it's sure to push development in more/better hybrid/ev options.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    That's what I call smart marketing! Environmentally friendly, and just in time for the apocalypse!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now if we can get a 450MPC(miles per charge) for under $30k gas cars wouldn't have a chance.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Will they have SUVs as well if this one fares well?
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still not feasible for traveling across Texas in a decent amount of time.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Too lazy to dig up youtube clips, but Top Gear did a recent episode where they reviewed the Tesla roadster and then reviewed a Honda (?) hydrogen powered car, and made a series of very good points of how depending solely on electric cars (plug & drive) setups is a bad idea, largely along the lines of skanker's comment.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Well, yea, it's not really a car for long road trips, even with an extra battery that still gives you 600 miles tops.

However, most of us don't drive that far very often, and usually fly those sorts of distances.

I'm just glad someone made an electric car that doesn't look like ass.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    neato, the design looks like a mishmash of a Maserati, Jag, and Aston Martin, just not quite as sexy, looks 10x better than most hybrids though thats for sure.
    Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks
    episode1002.jpg
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    aesir wrote: »
    I'm just glad someone made an electric car that doesn't look like ass.

I'll second that. :)

Top Gear's main argument against purely electric vehicles was the idea that, should you forget to fully charge it, you're stuck for however long it takes to get enough of a charge to get you home or to your destination, and even then you've got to wait for a full charge again to make it useful.

Hell, I forget to charge my cell phone and bluetooth earpiece occasionally, even with a charger both by my bed and at my desk at work. Imagine if you couldn't charge your car, or happened to forget to.

Personally, I'm generally a little biased towards the idea of hydrogen-combustion based power, and not just cause it'd mean I can get a nice cup of tea from my morning commute! :poly124:
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    top gear's argument wasn't so much about range (that's a given), it's more that putting a car on charge for ages seems like a step backwards from the fuel-and-go system we currently have - whereas that Honda wotsit with the hydrogen cell fills up at a normal filling station, takes a couple of minutes, and you're off, only putting water out of the exhaust. Feels like the future cos it's an advancement on how we currently do things.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Why couldn't you just have it charging it's own batteries as it's going along? Use some sort of dynamo typed setup.

I suppose if that were a good idea someone smarter than me would have already had it and put it into practice.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    Super excited about this one, hopefully when it comes out I will be in a place to be able to afford it :). Doubtful, but one can dream right? haha.

On the argument of Hydrogen Cell cars, there is a reason they haven't caught on that much. Well there seems to be a lot of reasons really. But from what I have read it would take tons of money and years to even get them to be possible, whereas electric is here now, it works great, and the infrastructure largely in place.

To comments about distance, and recharge times, I think the main idea is that this car isn't supposed to be the only care you have, just the main car you have. You can keep the gas powered car for the one or two long road trips you take but for the daily drives you would have no problem with this car. EVEN IF you forget to charge it. It has 300 miles!!! Most people don't drive more then 30-50 miles a day, which means you would have to forget to charge your car for almost an entire week before that baby would die out on you. And if you really can't remember to charge it when you park it at night after a week of driving, well then you definitely shouldn't get it, haha. And I wonder how you get around in your gas car now? I mean my tank of gas rarely lasted more then a week :S. These cars will have gauges and meters to tell you about low charge just like the gas gauge now, haha.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I must be strange.

I drive to Austin (220 miles) Houston (270 miles) and South Texas (550 miles) regularly.

If they really want to make an impact on our society, these electric cars need to be priced much lower. I mean 50K really? For the base model? Hell, I'm having a hard time justifying the 17K I plan on spending on a Honda Fit. I've paid off 2 cars already and I'm not looking forward to getting back in debt again.

I'll just wait until Honda comes around and makes this technology affordable.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I must be strange.

I drive to Austin (220 miles) Houston (270 miles) and South Texas (550 miles) regularly.

If they really want to make an impact on our society, these electric cars need to be priced much lower. I mean 50K really? For the base model? Hell, I'm having a hard time justifying the 17K I plan on spending on a Honda Fit. I've paid off 2 cars already and I'm not looking forward to getting back in debt again.

I'll just wait until Honda comes around and makes this technology affordable.

By all reasonable estimates that's another 5-10 years at the earliest and the only ones working on it are honda.

Your driving is a bit unusual, why do you go to those places on such a regular basis? I used to live in San Antonio, and almost never went further then Austin. Is it just to hang out with people and stuff?

The model for Tesla is not one targeted at you and me, but it's a smart move for them. They are going from the top downward, like most new and fancy tech. Their first car was a 109k sports car, This is there second car, 50-60k, Once they have proven the tech with those two vehicles and gotten a foothold in the market, improved and upgraded their tech, they have plans for a 20-30k normal economy vehicle like a prius and stuff like that.

I doubt I could change your views on electric, especially as a texan, I know the culture and the mentality, I lived there 22 years of my life, haha. But the truth is, for you day to day driving, you can use and benefit greatly from an electric vehicle. While for your trips to Houston, Austin, Padre, Mc Allen, and Laredo you can use your gas or hybrid car. Obviously not right now because you already have cars but in the future, of course, along with everyone else. I don't think anyone expects people to just drop the car they already have to pick one of these up, unless they have way too much money anyway, haha.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    skank you are weird. I never leave the 20 mile radius of lewisville. perfect car for me... if I wasn't a cheap ass and could justify buying a 50k priced car.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    My drive to work is 25miles, so most electric cars are perfectly fine for me. I've driving the EV1 from GM, and I would have loved the chance to own one (damn you GM). These cars are meant to hit a majority of the market... not those who want to take a cross country trip. We need cars like this to start existing before the technology can grow and become the car of convenience that we are use to.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I htink this is a step in the right direction, The thing that concerns me is the recharge time, I think that is the biggest hurdle. I also think the price point is correct, hope they pull it off !
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    sounds like an amazing idea, but will paying for the electricity that this car will surely cost to use be any cheaper than gas? I don't really know how these things are priced in regards to power, but I know that electricity isn't free.

but yeah, shit yeah, this is the future, they get this baby down cheaper, set up some 'charge stations' across the country and we're GTG. as long as the miles per charge doesn't dwindle the more you use it.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it really has nothing to do with my being a Texan. I have a civic with a 4 cylinder engine and I love it, but it's almost dead.

Here's another tidbit I thought of while driving to work.

Assuming I could make it from here to Austin in a single charge, (not sure how headlights, radio, A/C, media devices, etc would affect the overall 300 mile range), and I make it to my friend's place, where would I plug it in? He lives in an apartment complex and only has outdoor parking. Same with my sister in Houston and my Mom in South Texas.

As a matter of fact, where would I charge it at work if I needed to?
    If I lived in a downtown area, what about there? There's no garages. Not sure how the city would feel if you plugged into their electricity.

Obviously, this car isn't aimed at me, but I'm taking a practical look at this technology. We're just not set up to be able to plug our cars in at anytime. Will we be when these cars hit the market? Probably not.

What happens when or if the battery goes bad? Does Tesla take them back? Honda replaces them because it benefits their research department.

I'm a lover of new tech. I'm always excited about what we can do to get rid of all the gas-powered vehicles on the road. Before it can really make an impact here in this nation, the range will have to go up and the convenience will have to be there. Though, they made a good step in actually making two cars that look good.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    I think it's an abuse of the name.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the main point is that it is happening, finally. The tech will be affordable, you just can't expect a small company like tesla to be able to afford to gear up for mass production the way the big 3 in america can (they could have already by now if they weren't so greedy/lazy). EV tech would be much more affordable today if they had moved sooner on it. It is going to happen a lot faster in the rest of the world than here and it won't just be limited to charging stations.

I think there's a euro company that is building a battery rental/distribution system to go with their vehicles and the idea of battery lease/rental is being tossed around here as well. So rather than plugging in for awhile at a roadside station you just swap out the battery for another. You can recharge them at home too. This would depend entirely on market penetration, but I don't see why this model wouldn't take off, as it makes more sense. It's not much different than putting gas in your car, except for being able to do it at home too. =]

I don't see anyone like flaagan or long distance drivers getting behind this tech for awhile as a consumer. But as said, it's not really targeted at them (yet). There are far more people who would benefit from it right now though that don't travel outside the range of their home city/town on a daily basis.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just think a 300 mile range is really impressive, compared to what's been on the market so far at least. But if that's isn't good enough there is hope, but it will take many years and research money to develop. If you haven't heard of nanowire, it's a battery type that for the same space as a normal lit Ion can hold 8-10x the charge. That as well as more energy efficient gadgets and such could easily push range to the 3000-4000+ range in the next 10 years. With a batter life of about 7-10 years I don't think you would have to worry about the batter for a long time, and when it does go bad, I believe they do take your old battery back when you buy the new one, but I am not 100% sure :P.

Charge time on these babies with a 220v charger is probably between 3-5 hours. Yes you would have to bring an extension cord, and yes charging at public places is out until electric catches on in a big way. But like anything you would realize and adapt to drive with those limitations, or simply take your hybrid/gas car instead if you fear it could be an issue.

bounchfx: I think it ends up being less then a dollar a gallon equivalent

Also expect this movement and texh to only grow with the full support of the White House behind it since Obama has put up 2.4 billion in support http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-obama-pomona20-2009mar20,0,4688845.story
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Retrofitting parking garages and lots with charging outlets is a no brainer. Such a low tech issue to consider. You don't see that stuff anywhere now because there's no need for it. As soon as people start driving these things you are going to see charge outlets everywhere. I'm sure cities will be looking at profitting from using them too, so that most definitely will happen as the need for them arises.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This, is what the big three should have been working on 15 years ago. I really hope Tesla takes off in a big way. I hope the competition catches on that you don't need a heavy gas engine to make a daily commuter. Then they jump on the band wagon and drive the prices down so everyone can afford some of this goodness.

Even if they where more reasonably priced they can still only bang out 20,000 cars a year when they hit their peak. So someone else is going to need to jump on this.

50k is that with or without the gov subsidy? They originally said it was going to be 30k, so I'm wondering if the gov is kicking in the other 20k, or if they upped their price?
    Still not feasible for traveling across Texas in a decent amount of time.
    Driving across TX is hardly feasible, its like 3 states wide...
    Skank, you're a freak, no one else drives that much except truckers =P You live in in the biggest state that is spread out all over the place. You can't really use TX as a norm for the rest of the US that lives works and plays probably well within a 25-50 mile radius. The distances you're talking about from city to city, are roughly the distance across some states. For me to drive those distances (200mi), I end up in Canada, Idaho or south Oregon almost California.

You could always hang on to your gas powered car and use it on long trips until the infrastructure is in place?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Recharge locations would become available as electric cars become more popular. You'd probably start seeing apartment complex advertise electric service at the parking lot. Employers should need to provide an outlet, since the range of the vehicles should be plenty for the majority (as I mentioned already ;)).

As for recharging, let me clear something else up. When you see these articles and TV shows talk about recharge time, they always state what it takes to recharge to 100% from basically 0%. Most electric vehicles will recharge to 70-80% rather quickly. It's the last 10% or so that become longer to top off. If you find yourself at a friends house, and underestimated your charge, you can plug in for about an hour and have more than enough to get home. The EV1 came with a quick charge system in the trunk that ran on 120V. It could quickly give the car a boost.
    The charging stations at home are designed to do a slow charge. It's better for the battery. That's why the charging times are always so long. The idea is, you'll come home from work, plug in and go to bed. Wake up, and your car is charged. Obviously this doesn't work for a late night partier who comes home at 3am to take a power nap before going to work at 7am.

There are SO many myths about electric cars that people erroneously spread and I honestly get tired of hearing them because these people are uneducated on the overall system. Even Top Gear has done multiple reviews (including the Tesla), and there are a lot of incorrect statements they make.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, no doubt.

Everything would have to be in check before I jump on the electric bandwagon.

Saturn is putting out their fully electric car soon too, but the range sucks all kinds of balls.

I can't wait for Honda to roll out with either of these or something similar http://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    This, is what the big three should have been working on 15 years ago.

They did... none of the big talkers bought any of them (*glares at California). They couldn't get enough breaks from the government to offset the cost of developing better batteries, so they dropped them. Batteries have advanced GREATLY since then, which is why GM was able to quickly make the Volt available. They just needed that spark to get them to venture into the development again. Many people don't realize, but the Volt is more of an electric car than it is a hybrid. The gas engine is there to help recharge the system if it gets to low. In theory, if I owned one, the gas would probably go bad before I'd use it.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't wait for Honda to roll out with either of these or something similar http://automobiles.honda.com/future-cars/

Actually, Top Gear also covered the Honda Clarity after doing the Tesla review. I really like that car, except, just like electric cars, you need the infrastructure to support it. Right now, only California has hydrogen refueling stations :/ It would supply the petro convenience NOW, yet end the need for petroleum.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    50k is that with or without the gov subsidy? The originally said it was going to be 30k, so I'm wondering if the gov is kicking in the other 20k, or if they upped their price?

Vig, Tesla always had a 3 car plan. First was the sports and high end model (the Roadster) at 100k+, after that they were doing the luxury sedan (model s) at 60k+, then the low end economy car for everyone at 30k+. It's surprising that the model S will be in the 50k range instead though, my guess is they found ways to save money and passed it onto the consumer. Which is fantastic because it means the economy car could be even better and maybe make it to the market for only 20 or 25k.

Just read the press release and that price is AFTER the 7500 tax cut. They also said that if the infrastructure was put into place and they had 480v charge stations at restaurants and stuff, the car could get a full charge in only 45 mins, which is just about as long as it would take to eat, then you are good for another 300 miles. Seems like tong distance trips aren't completely outta the question.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    They did... none of the big talkers bought any of them (*glares at California). They couldn't get enough breaks from the government to offset the cost of developing better batteries, so they dropped them. Batteries have advanced GREATLY since then, which is why GM was able to quickly make the Volt available. They just needed that spark to get them to venture into the development again. Many people don't realize, but the Volt is more of an electric car than it is a hybrid. The gas engine is there to help recharge the system if it gets to low. In theory, if I owned one, the gas would probably go bad before I'd use it.
    Yea one big self fulfilling prophecy that was. Didn't they set out to make it as difficult and narrow as possible by only leasing the cars with very restrictive terms, in a narrow test area? Wasn't the EV1 made just to prove to California that their zero emissions laws where doomed to be a failure because "no one wanted one"?

It was like if I set up a lemonade stand in a basement of a parking garage and instead of lemonade I used turpentine.
    "You can have this yummy glass of lementine, and all I want in return is to take one of your kidneys... and smash-it-with-a-brick."
    That's essentially what they did with the EV1, they made sure they could round them up after it failed so they could crush them all.

Eclipse ahh sweet, so I wonder if they'll be able to drop the price of the average joe car also.

Skank, OooOo I'm liking Honda's plans, might just have to go that route some day.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What i find funny is that what people are complaining about is forgetting to recharge the car. It begs the question, how often do you forget to fill up your gas tank?

It's the same idea, only instead of needing a gas station you just need a 220 plug in. Hell if gas stations added a 220 plug near the air pumps then the network would be done. What would be smarter would be if each parking meter had a 220 plug in. That way when you swipe your card to pay to park it can also charge you for the power.

What i would love is to see some sexy air scoops on the sides to power some wind power generators in the car so when your on the freeway you get back more of the energy used to be going that fast.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero wrote: »

What i would love is to see some sexy air scoops on the sides to power some wind power generators in the car so when your on the freeway you get back more of the energy used to be going that fast.

Now that is forward thinking. Good one.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig: You're partially correct. Yeah, the EV1 was only leased, but the rest of the story is internet conspiracy ;) They initially offered them as lease only because they wanted to vehicles back for development purposes (to study the battery/motor life). The batteries were EXTREMELY expensive, and they would have had to offer them as a service part if they allowed ownership, which would have been very difficult. Yes, they did crush many of them, as they do with any car when they are done with them, but not nearly as many as the internet would have you think. I think I read once that someone suggested only 1 was saved. I can tell you as a witness, there are many running around the GM Tech Center, which is how I was able to drive one.
    That said, I also would not argue too much against GM Execs not wanting to make them (at least at that level), because the profitability was too low at the time (still really isn't high).

TGO: lol, yeah, the wind generators would be a cool idea except the scoops would create wind resistance, which would require more energy to overcome than the generators would make ;) The tech I always thought was cool, is the regen braking. When stopping the car, they switch the motor into a generator, which not only helps slow down the vehicle, but also puts energy back into the system, rather than losing that energy like petro cars do :)
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    What i find funny is that what people are complaining about is forgetting to recharge the car. It begs the question, how often do you forget to fill up your gas tank?

It's the same idea, only instead of needing a gas station you just need a 220 plug in. Hell if gas stations added a 220 plug near the air pumps then the network would be done. What would be smarter would be if each parking meter had a 220 plug in. That way when you swipe your card to pay to park it can also charge you for the power.

That was my thought exactly. Only problem I see with the 220 port by the air pump, is I have a feeling that it takes more than 2 minutes to charge your batteries. Pumping gas is at least, very quick.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman,
    It wouldn't be a huge airflow drag, most car designs cause more drag issues than the scoops. Just think of the scoops on a Ferrari enzo, but with a low resistance generator inside each air flow scoop.

tumerboy,
    Well at 220 it takes 45 from dead to full so i could see 10min getting you a good 70 miles, or 5min 35miles. Yeah its no 20 miles(average gas mileage, at a gallon a min pump) a min for $3.00, but 7 miles a min for $.03 isn't that bad. So for a full fill up it would cost you in the tesla $1.35 and take 45min, or $45 and take 15 min. 3x the wait, for 3% the cost...
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    That was my thought exactly. Only problem I see with the 220 port by the air pump, is I have a feeling that it takes more than 2 minutes to charge your batteries. Pumping gas is at least, very quick.

Which is why America needs to get off of "instant orgasm" mode. We're going through a cultural revolution here, and with the struggling economy, constant fluctuation in gas prices, and a heightened awareness of our impact on the environment, Tesla may have the perfect market timing to pull this off. If that price tag was a wee bit smaller, I bet they would see a huge launching point for their product.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scoop would only cause noticeable drag issues if it was designed it to be like a cup and it blocked air flow, if you designed it like a tube and let the air flow through, it could potentially be useful...

I think the grill on a typical car does more to add drag then a small well designed scoop. I think the Tesla cars still use some kind of forward intake to cool the batteries, so maybe they could just patch into that. Albeit it would make for a much sexier selling feature to have a functional side or hood scoop...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 wrote: »
    I think it's an abuse of the name.
    Which Nikola Tesla are you talking about, the brilliant grandfather of modern electrical engineering or Nikola Tesla who died a raving penniless hermit, tossed out of the very field(s) he created? Oh wait same guy... =P

Notman, I think we've been down that road before... I guess the story is different depending on where you live and who you work for. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. The market wasnt' ready yet and GM probably knew it wasn't going to work and didn't put much effort into it. I remember reading in a GM execs blog that people mostly complained about the initial range 40-60miles and they later where able to push that up higher but never did much to try and make the public aware, they just let it go on being blasted.

I do also remember them teaming up with several oil companies to sue California to remove the ZEV laws, which they eventually won out, but not in the suit. Doesn't really paint a happy "oh well lets try again later" picture...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're correct about the air through the scoop/tube (sort of), but the problem is the generator inside. It's the laws of physics I'm referring to here. You're converting one form of energy into another. The generator would need a turbine on it to cause it to spin. That turbine would resist the wind and thus slow down the movement. Trust me, I love the idea, but there's those damn laws of physics ;)
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman, Yeah it would cause a bit more drag, but the question would be how much more power is needed to offset this and how much power is generated by it. Yes you will never get 100% of that energy back but hell if it replenished even 10% of the power used that would add miles to its max distance. No matter what its potential energy that we have a way of using, it would be worth trying. Maybe even having the ducts open only when driving over X speed, much like a sports car adjusts its spoiler and lowers the suspension at high speeds.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, now I feel like the engineers I've always complained about. In the past, I made a very similar statement to what you just said. My boss at the time(who was on the EV1 program), basically responded with the same reasoning that I've provided. But, like you said, why not at least try it. I'm not against that and would never discourage it :)
    On top of that, I've also wondered why they wouldn't throw some solar panels into the roof, obviously keeping with the design, and allow it to add juice to the system to help extend mileage.

Electric vehicles are the whole reason I got into electronics, and I was greatly disappointed when the Big 3 shut down all development before I even completed my degree. I was very negative about them doing it at the time too, but after having the opportunity to work for GM, and working in the auto industry for about 12 years now, I now understand a bit more of there side of the story. I've always said to friends, that if I were to will the lotto, I'd take specialty courses, so I could learn other trades (like metal work), so I could make an electric car as a hobby :) (and during that time, I'd try things like you suggested, and other ideas I've had that might help squeeze a few miles in)
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    until this:

powerwheels.jpg

becomes this:

stang02sm.jpg

I don't think I'll be trading in any time soon. Are they going to pipe in fake engine sounds over the stereo so it doesn't sound like I'm driving the worlds largest RC car?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    well, you got this hybrid thingie here for the time being, until electricity becomes more viable:

http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/GREENNEWS/volvo-C30-plug-in-hybrid.htm

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmJTsHcZMFQ[/ame]
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting development, if only a stepping stone to the car of the future.
    What's this talk of dynamo's and wind scoops recharging the batteries, hmmm?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag wrote: »
    I don't think I'll be trading in any time soon. Are they going to pipe in fake engine sounds over the stereo so it doesn't sound like I'm driving the worlds largest RC car?

ahaha, you know, you may have a great business idea. One way to make an assload of cash is to make a silly accessory for a car. Why not make a device to make a V8 sound as you accelerate? ;)

That does remind me of one of the other myths that get thrown around a lot (not that you meant this Sandbag).... I hate when people try to suggest electric cars are slow. As the Tesla has proven, and those in electronics would know, electric motors have massive torque. That means electric cars can launch quickly and go fast. There are videos of the EV1 blowing away the Corvette (if you upload a 'tuned' program into the EV1). Most electric cars are gimped down so they can get their mileage. And since there is no transmission, it's one long acceleration, which feels weird, but awesome :D.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    These are a marked improvement over what we have in Canada:

smart-car.jpg
    I swear to god these look like fetal automobile abortions, designed by Tonka.

The convertible is somehow worse. Looks like it was stolen from a bumper cars ride at the amusement park.
    Smart_crossblade1.jpg

I wouldn't mind getting a Tesla if the price dropped below $20k.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    lol ya, we've got them all over here too.
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well at 220 it takes 45 from dead to full so i could see 10min getting you a good 70 miles, or 5min 35miles. Yeah its no 20 miles(average gas mileage, at a gallon a min pump) a min for $3.00, but 7 miles a min for $.03 isn't that bad. So for a full fill up it would cost you in the tesla $1.35 and take 45min, or $45 and take 15 min. 3x the wait, for 3% the cost...

Just wanted to correct this. The 45 min quick charge was on the 480v outlet. Not that it would change what you are saying, but I wanted to just note.

Also to Sandbag, if you are looking for power, the model S and the roadster would beat the snot outta the mustang. Electric cars have 100% of the torque from the instant you hit the gas petal. If you are talking about a sound.....really? Your entire argument against electric cars is it doesn't go VROOM VROOM!!! haha strange, but like notman pointed out I'm sure someone will make a silly sound add-on that does nothing but drain battery power, hahahaha.

Oh yeah, the the price per trip is according to Tesla, "Model S costs roughly $5 to drive 230 miles". And if Al Gore and his We movement catches hold that price might even drop!