Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP flower shed

Ya its a work in progress for sure but its comming along no map is bigger then 256 by 256 flowershed.jpg

Replies

• Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    are you just.. building stuff without reference? If so post the reference so we can see what you're going for.
  • TalktoNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No reference....it was a chicken coop but im turning it into a flower shed
    Seaseme wrote: »
    are you just.. building stuff without reference? If so post the reference so we can see what you're going for.
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one of the best ways to learn how to model is lottts of reference. Even the pros have libraries of things to look at to create even Sci Fi stuff.

994529.jpg

Authentic%2Barctic%2Bshed.jpg

122597c.jpg

Now you don't have to but maybe pick one of those and try to model it. We can help you much more that way.

Help us help you ^^
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    Reich made a great point. Always start with reference. Hell I use and update reference all the way throughout the project. It does not necessarily have to look exactly like the reference. It does help though to understand how an object would be built, logically in real life. This will then help you understand the structure and how you may put your piece together.

Plus you need to be thinking, is the person going to see this from the inside or outside? If just outside you would not need support beams for the roof. You'd just put the roof in. On the other hand if you want it to be viewed from both the inside and outside than you would want that structure to show how the shed it holding itself together.

Sorry if I rambled and I hope it helped in some way. Hope to see more progress in the future.
  • TalktoNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well then i will use a combination of all of these then
    Reich wrote: »
    one of the best ways to learn how to model is lottts of reference. Even the pros have libraries of things to look at to create even Sci Fi stuff.

994529.jpg

Authentic%2Barctic%2Bshed.jpg

122597c.jpg

Now you don't have to but maybe pick one of those and try to model it. We can help you much more that way.

Help us help you ^^
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    individual boards may be a bit uh. . .overBOARD! (HA HA HA! I'm hilarious)

What is this actually for? (RTS? MMO? FPS?) that will determine how you should be building it and how much detail you should be putting into it. I'd wipe all your textures, and just try building everything first, just leave it grey for now. Once you have the right shape, you can start to worry about materials.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Follow the link for great justice: Greenhouse shed

Also, the grandfather of a girl I used to date had built a greenhouse/shed that was covered in a durable canvas that allowed light to pass through but was water proof and kept out the wind. The shed had a dirt/sand floor. It was really cool. He was a crafty dude.
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the great thing about using reference is that you can pick and choose which elements you wish to use in a piece, ultimately ending up with the strongest piece you can. Remember this as well, reference isn't only for modeling but can help a great deal with determining what kinds of materials you want to use on an object. For instance, you may really like the shapes of some of the green houses above, but they're extremely clean/new and wouldn't fit well in a game with a realistic style.

Conquer your shapes and silhouette first, then worry about textures.
  • TalktoNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shed.jpg
    this is where im at currently i still need alot more texture touch ups but im still learning of course
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How big is this thing? if that door is normal size,t hen those windows are REALLY low, and if the windows are in a normal position, then this is more of a small house than a shed. I like the shape. Check the UVs on your roof. Shingles only get laid down in one direction (higher shingles have to over lap the lower ones) in order to work, so make sure that yours all look like they'd be placed properly.
  • TalktoNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shed-1.jpg up the contrast on the roof
  • TalktoNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The concept art is on this thread so check it out and ya i gotta do alot of touchups i just sorta quickly uv'd
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    How big is this thing? if that door is normal size,t hen those windows are REALLY low, and if the windows are in a normal position, then this is more of a small house than a shed. I like the shape. Check the UVs on your roof. Shingles only get laid down in one direction (higher shingles have to over lap the lower ones) in order to work, so make sure that yours all look like they'd be placed properly.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better start this time around. Good work. Most of the walls of the shed look pretty good. The roof has some tiling issues with the texture. Some seams and what not.

Concept shows door being more than just a piece of plywood as well.

Good improvement from first attempt.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do the plants get sunlight? I fail to see the 'flower' in 'WIP flower shed'.
  • TalktoNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fail to see it to but i just modeled from the concept provided by a post on this board...its not for a game or anything its just for my growth as a modeler
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    How do the plants get sunlight? I fail to see the 'flower' in 'WIP flower shed'.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, part of your growth as a modeler is expanding your mind to think about these types of things. You will often NOT be handed a fully flushed out concept, and will need to be able to analyze the item in question, and determine if it works the way it should, or if you could improve it somehow. Reference is meant as just that, something to look at to get ideas, but not necessarily as what you have to model exactly. Take what you like about it, leave what you don't, and make sure you're looking at a large number of sources while you do.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fail to see it to but i just modeled from the concept provided by a post on this board...

Yeah, and I posted this link:
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    Follow the link for great justice: Greenhouse shed

If you follow it, you'll see some examples that lean more towards greenhouses.
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well lets not take this too far.

We asked him to get some refrance to model from. People posted some and he chose one to try. Lets help him figure out how to make proper forms and use the polies and then we can get into teh function of it all.

Really compared to his last house and the first try on this, his new attempt is much better. He is trying a more interesting shape and it seems that he is using a larger texture sheet.

Honestly sense you are just laerning i'd say that you just make a 1024/1024 texture map so you can really see some textures instead of doing this 256 thing.

Now it is hard for us o help you with the shape of it without seeing the wire frame. Fast and easy way is just take a screen shot for us so we can see it. I wont get into rendering wire frames in MAx. One step at a time
  • TalktoNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not ready to show my texture yet since its not refined but im using a 512x512 psd and will be reducing it to a 256 when finished with this project and my next will prob be 1 of the many green houses poly count is 287 Perspective.jpg
    frontview.jpg
    side.jpg
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should use targa's instead of psd's for your textures.

Start with your psd to make it and save out as tga. Should save some space and I believe it works faster. Not positive though.

Reich is right. Start with 1024 tex. Hell you can always stat out at 2048 and size down. Never reverse. Always start big and work way down.

So if it is a smaller piece that you may not see that much feel free to downsize the tex down to 512. Don't know too many people who still use 256.

Hope it helps.
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems that you are modeling this all as one piece. Don't! ho handled a bit of it right like the side windows but a lot of this should be made separately and then assembled.

I did a quick job on it to show you what i mean.

Flowershed.jpg
  • TalktoNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i will do my next project like that but wat are the advantages of modeling in pieces?
    Reich wrote: »
    It seems that you are modeling this all as one piece. Don't! ho handled a bit of it right like the side windows but a lot of this should be made separately and then assembled.

I did a quick job on it to show you what i mean.

Flowershed.jpg
  • TalktoNorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL wii games still use 128's....
    A.Kincade wrote: »
    You should use targa's instead of psd's for your textures.

Start with your psd to make it and save out as tga. Should save some space and I believe it works faster. Not positive though.

Reich is right. Start with 1024 tex. Hell you can always stat out at 2048 and size down. Never reverse. Always start big and work way down.

So if it is a smaller piece that you may not see that much feel free to downsize the tex down to 512. Don't know too many people who still use 256.

Hope it helps.

AK
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the biggest thing is that it is less frustrating.

With modeling like that you save on your Tri count/ can use your tris more effectively. And it also makes UV mapping much faster and easier.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya, it's just easier to build in pieces and cram stuff together. It can save you a lot of headaches. It can also be easier to UV/texture