CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
New Mudbox forum run by the great wayne robson

http://www.mudboxhub.com/forum/

Replies

• kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    thanks for the heads up on this, great site!
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, at least he has a place to spew his fanboyism unchecked now. Congrats I guess. 0_o
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    too many forums to keep up with
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Well if it becomes like the old mudbox forums (pre Autodesk) then I'm all for it.

Now someone just needs to make a replacement for Tweak (rip) already.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tweak was amazing, i wish someone had just taken over than it just dying like that
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah the old skmatter mudbox forums were a good place, hopefully wayne can get a similar community going on his forums, everyone just left the mudbox forums as soon as they were merged with "the AREA". We all know hes a fanboy but hes pretty honest about that
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ditto the skymatter forums, those were the good ol' days when mudbox community had a prime place like Zbrushcentral. Shame on Autodesk for removing it.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    And who the hell is wayne robson?

And yes Kolby, bring Tweak back please?
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor wrote: »

your just joking right? hes doing alot for mudbox communtiy
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18

exactly.

his intentions might be good but his art quality doesnt really help promote mudbox in the community.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM wrote: »
    but his art quality doesnt really help promote mudbox in the community.

a bit harsh
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky

the master of anatomy, i swear he can teach you anatomy in 3 hrs, proof

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=221&t=508523&highlight=kurv
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    exactly.

his intentions might be good but his art quality doesn't really help promote mudbox in the community.

It's not his job to promote mudbox, that is Autodesks job.

He is putting out FREE training materials for mudbox, and providing a place for people to go and talk and share their work. Not some place to just show off his work, the quality of his doesn't matter, he is teaching workflow and techniques for a program not sculpture and art theory.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheSplash wrote: »

He is putting out FREE training materials for mudbox, and providing a place for people to go and talk and share their work. Not some place to just show off his work, the quality of his doesn't matter, he is teaching workflow and techniques for a program not sculpture and art theory.

Cool, and more power to him. Maybe this time he'll pull back a bit on the attacks and insinuations that users of a certain other software are all stupid, mindless fanboys. When in reality, autodesk needs their business since they are all using the competition. He's a horrible moderator on the area forums as he tries to wear his own personal hat and inject his personal opinions and bias into that forum and it really makes it stink. That's bad enough when it's already under the stigma of being an autodesk forum. His public postings on other forums are no better. For an 'unofficial' champion of mudbox he really rubs people the wrong way.

Maybe he should consider that the official area forums would be a better place if he changed his approach as a moderator there and acted a little more professional. I don't see that behavior from aurick at ZBC and that is THE official ZB forum. He may drop the hammer a lot more often and harshly but at least the forum is kept clean and focused on zb.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18

LOL i remember that.

TheSplash wrote: »

a tool like mudbox does not really need any tutorials. usually it takes an average 3d artists to learn mudbox in few days.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh old debates never die, they just morph and spreads their ugly tentacles into new threads.

It's no ZBCenteral that's for sure. But then again Mud doesn't need something like that because its not that complex... Seriously if you need tutorials and help with Mudbox you might as well smack yourself in the nuts with something heavy and fast, because we don't need more stupid people around who can't figure out user friendly software, let alone something more complex.

Oh well... maybe it will grow into some cool and worth participating in. I can't say after the last buggy release of Mud2.0 I'm all hawt for it, in fact it pushed me back into the arms of "teh enemy" oh noes!1
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    yes. there is no need to keep these software dedicated forums. they somehow end up promoting the tool rather than the artist.

also i wanted to let people know there is a new forum dedicated to sculpting here:

http://digitalclay.ning.com/

most of the old tweak members are joining up here.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    yes. there is no need to keep these software dedicated forums. they somehow end up promoting the tool rather than the artist.

also i wanted to let people know there is a new forum dedicated to sculpting here:

Spot on.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    But then again Mud doesn't need something like that because its not that complex... Seriously if you need tutorials and help with Mudbox you might as well smack yourself in the nuts with something heavy and fast, because we don't need more stupid people around who can't figure out user friendly software, let alone something more complex.
    noes!1

This is another thing that confuses me... he has produced hours and hours of training for it... why? It's a nice gesture, being free and all, but I agree 100% with you on the ease of use. One of the big reasons why people use it is because it's far less complicated than ZB and a huge amount of training simply isn't necessary. But with all the tutorials he's done recently (and apparently FOR mudbox users) you'd think it was the more difficult of the two to use. 0_o
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why you being so negative? and why does it bother you so much?
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Vig wrote: »
    Seriously if you need tutorials and help with Mudbox you might as well smack yourself in the nuts with something heavy and fast, because we don't need more stupid people around who can't figure out user friendly software, let alone something more complex.

Meh, I'm all about learning and teaching myself but you sound pretty dickish saying something like that. I'd say we dont need people with attitudes like that "around"...whatever that means.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea it does sound dickish, eh. *shrug*
    So when did PC get all PC? Who needs a hug?
    fight-club-bob.jpg

The point I was trying to make, was that Mudbox was built on the simple principle that you don't need mountains of documentation. What little needed to be written was handled by the original team. Writing a mountain of tutorials for Mudbox is like writing a how to eat Jello guide, its just not impressive. But to each their own.
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18

And yes Kolby, bring Tweak back please?

ha, yeah, I don't see that happening any time in near future. But hey, you never know.

@Companioncube: I agree, that would have been nice. I actually approached a number of people about taking over the community, no one was interested in taking on the responsibility.

Wayne is the man for doing all he does for Mudbox. To my knowledge he doesn't get a red cent from Autodesk for all his work and promotion. Class act all the way.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    kolbyjukes wrote: »
    Wayne is the man for doing all he does for Mudbox. To my knowledge he doesn't get a red cent from Autodesk for all his work and promotion. Class act all the way.

that may be true, but my first impression is that all of this promotes his own DVD's and books on his site. and to be honest i dont see any of his tutorials to contain anything that is not already free information that is available in help files or just from googling.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11

Awesome man...thanks for the heads up :)

And I think what Wayne is doing is pretty decent of the guy. Sure he gets self-promotion in the process, but in times like these....I cant hate on the dude. All artists need as much promotion as possible right now. I'm sure that's another debate for another time though.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kolbyjukes: understand your a busy guy, was good site though, always checking your portfolio site for updates, can't wait to see your Dom War entry this year, makes me scared to enter
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    Neox wrote: »

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=221&t=508523&highlight=kurv

He could use some life drawing classes or something, maybe go tear apart cadavers with med students, something like that.

His artwork aside I find his walkabout youtube videos a little bizarre, I wonder about his ego and psychological state I suspect they are fragile, or maybe I'm being a pompous ass (both could be true). Sorry, I know this is off topic, I just don't "get" this guy.

Thanks for the link to the Clay forum that is good news.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Damn...that's cold. I dont think we're ones to diagnose anyone with a psychological disorder though ;)
  • robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    ehh sorry I know, I've been working in human services for a long while now, so it comes naturally. He seems like a nice enough guy but the little bit of back story I know about him is that he was homeless and has a tragic past.

Somehow that unfortunate fact is supposed to forgive the fact that he is a not so great artist teaching his "technique" to others. I won't dispute his knowledge of the software, I guess if you want to learn the interface you won't find the tutorials disappointing. I hope his forum does well despite whatever misgivings I have about his artistic talent.