Home General Discussion

Cintiq: Pondering the purchase.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
Ok so I am looking to get a Cintiq and want to hear from people that have the 12" one and what there thoughts are. I know the resolution is a bit low but I want to see how this actually affects anything if it even does.

Also I am looking at the 21" one as well since it looks like the non-widescreen one is no longer available.

So comments, suggestions, thoughts, etc. Thanks guys.

Replies

• kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    i have a 12wx, got it after my intous 3 shorted on me, best investment ever, for the screen size the lower res is fine, if you get one get a shield from zaggs, they scratch kinda easily, i cant use ps with out it now
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    i'm mostly using it like a intuos, just when i'm painting soemthing which doesn't happen often i use it directly as a monitor to draw an :/
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Ohh! very interested in what people have to say as well, I'm trying to sell my laptop and plan to get one of these with the funds (if I can find a buyer!!), and am curious what people think of theirs.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Don't get one! once you start using it, it is SO HARD to go back to using a tablet.
    You will have to have a Cintiq at every studio you go to.
    It rocks so hard!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well Josh that is the plan. I would keep my 12" one with me at work and bring it home. Figured this would be easier then the large one as well.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i take my 12wx, and my lappy to school with me, cause our comps here suck, and we have intous2's in the pc labs >_<
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    It's not too portable. IIRC it's got a power cord to a base that goes to the outlet.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Just get two power cords ;)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    nah I was just saying it's not as portable as the images make you think. :D It has a seperate video control unit and a brick power adapter.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    I use a 21".

Just my opinion, it's overrated. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't rush to get one. But if you got money to burn...:thumbup:

I've used Intuos 3 for years prior and the cintiq experience for me hasn't really been life changing as many have hyped about it. Even industrial design students still have to use actual rulers and templates on the tablet's surface to get straight lines.

Once you have it, it helps to have secondary monitor. The max res of the 21" is so so. Good native color profile. Haven't tried printing out stuff yet but it's reputedly close to 1 to 1 between monitor and print.

WACOM's customer service for the cintiq is pretty good if you encounter issues with your unit as I did. Units are made in China but tech support is base in Vancouver, WA so fairly painless if you have to ship back a defected unit (lots of dead pixels, "dead zones", etc.).
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    the cintiq is worth every penny. I've been using one at work and will head into the office for space time work rather than slog around with my intuos. I gotta get one for home too. They make painting fun!
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I recently got a hand me down 20" at work. I've used an Intuos for years and loved it. I was skeptical that I would like the Cintiq. So the first 2 days I hated it. The screen is WAY to reflective, similar to all the laptops nowdays. And it's very uncomfortable to use it with a mouse/keyboard sitting directly under it. Basically unusable an only/primary monitor.

Then I switched to using it as a secondary monitor and have been using it for a month now. I really enjoy it now. My only issue with it is that using it as a secondary monitor is really painful since all the dialog boxes open up on the primary monitor so you need to be constantly switching between pen and mouse to do anything. Is there any kind of plug-in or freeware app that controls these?
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury wrote: »
    My only issue with it is that using it as a secondary monitor is really painful since all the dialog boxes open up on the primary monitor so you need to be constantly switching between pen and mouse to do anything. Is there any kind of plug-in or freeware app that controls these?

Have you tried setting one of your pen's tab switches to toggle between monitors. You can set this in cintiq's properties.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly I have mixed feelings; it's nice, but it was the price of a decent entry-level gaming computer :P I usually can't seem to set it up in a spot that is convenient. I had mine up at work for a while as a second monitor, but sitting at a normal desk it was always kinda in a weird spot it seemed. Right now at home I just have it laying flat in front of my laptop, using it as a mouse/ regular wacom tablet. I keep the backlight down otherwise it starts to make my hands sweat, but then i can use it as a quick place to keep messenger windows and reference pics.

I think it's really worth it though if you're planning on using it for concept art, painting, etc. I really love using it when i don't have to access the keyboard or anything, like just doing concepting or whatever.

If anyone has recommendations for setups that work well I'm definitely wanting to try some different ideas :)
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    I've got the 21UX at home, and it's wonderful. Best purchase I ever made as far as I'm concerned.

That being said, Josh is right. It's incredibly hard to transition back to an intuos after you get used to the cintiq. I had to hand the cintiq off to my wife, and work exclusively on my intuos for about 2 weeks just to get back in the swing of using a standard tablet again.

-K.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly I'm leaning more towards the 12" because of the cost. 2 grands a bit more rough to convince the wife into that I really need this and I have found a few here and there for less then 900 so that is a plus.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking about getting a tablet in the future... are you going to sell your old one? hehe :P
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    those of you who use it regular, did you get used to the screen so close to your face/eyes ?

i am guessing if u use a cintiq you have to be close enough.

we have it at work, i was asked whether i wanted one. i tried it few times but could not get used to the special posture and proximity to the screen. may be i need a special table or workspace for that.
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An option you might consider is a tablet PC. I love my Gateway convertable I think the model is gateway CX141. It has a wacom pen and it is a dream to paint and zbrush on. It ony has 256 levels of sensitity but it is more than enough to sculpt with.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I noticed they have an update to that model... CX143 or something. Was looking at that awhile back, and seriously considering a 12" cintiq myself. I just can't help but feel there might be something better coming just around the corner so I keep holding out.
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gwot wrote: »
    I noticed they have an update to that model... CX143 or something. Was looking at that awhile back, and seriously considering a 12" cintiq myself. I just can't help but feel there might be something better coming just around the corner so I keep holding out.

Best investment ever. Truly portable. You can go from the couch to the patio to the car and keep sculpting. All my recent work was done on it.

The Cintiq 12x is not really portable like they say. It requires AC!

I want to eventually get the 21 for my desktop.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    In regards to what Josh and Kolby said about going back and forth, I honestly haven't had that issue personally. I use a 9x12 Intuos 3 at work (I only use the mouse when we play games at lunch times and such), I have a 21UX at home and its brilliant! I do sometimes wish I had the Cintiq at work, but I never have issues going back to the Intuos. Maybe I just don't use Cintiq enough?
    My only issue is getting set it up at a proper height and angle while I'm sitting at my desk so I'm comfortable while painting/sculpting/etc.
    As for it doubling up as a monitor, its fine as a secondary display. The response time isn't as high so you're bound to get ghosting if watching video or playing games on it. Oh and it gets fucking hot, so if you have it sitting your lap for extended periods of time, expect to get a bad case of hot crotch (sometimes I like to paint with it while I'm on the couch).
    The only negative thing I can truly say about it, is that your hand gets in the way! After using a tablet for so long and being able to see the full screen, it makes me wish I had see-through hands. Haha, it is trivial though.
    If you are after the portability, then the 12" is the way to go. One of the artists here has one and carries it around in a laptop bag. It is a little weighty and there are a bunch of cords involved.
    Good luck with your choice, dude.

-caseyjones
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I bought a 21ux and I use it at work, it's great, I never got the hang of sketching on a regular tablet so any type of concepting/2d stuff I'd have to draw on paper and scan in. I really want to buy another one for home now
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont think that 12wx isnt portable because of a converter box and 2 other cords, both my roommate and i have one and take them every where, and if i score a gig at a studio, i will most likely continue to take it with me
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm not too worried about the transport of the 12" one as it is still smaller to carry then a 21" Cintiq and I would probably only bring it home on the weekends anyways. So we shall see.

I would like to have it before Dom War so I'm trying to decide soon.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could buy that funky tote bag from the wacom store made specifically for the 12" =]
    You would be the coolest kid on the block then!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I use my Cintiq 12" for everything art related. It takes a little getting used to getting around Maya with it, but I'd be reluctant to go back to a mouse now.

With regards to using two screens, by default the top button on the cintiq's panel switches from single to dual monitor mode, meaning you can access everything on your regular monitor without ever needing to touch your icky mouse.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I'm using an intuos 3 A4 special edition and coming from an intuos 2 A4, i felt a huge difference. With the intuos 3 it's not like to paint as with a real pencil, but it's really useful for me.

What i wonder is if the cintiq 21" has the feel of a real pencil used on a paper. That could be great for our work. In wacom, they sell you too many great words but reality is quite different when i bought the intuos 3. Here i can buy a 21Cintiq per 2000 euro, and don't know if it's better. I'm reading too many different opinions :S

Using the cintiq, do you have the feel of painting like with pencil on a paper?

Another thing i saw is that is totally compatible with the intuos 3, so i imagine it must be like an intuos 3 but working directly on the screen.

My bro spends almost all the day working on drawings (he is illustrator), and he complains about how uncomfortable is working with a wacom with not enough good response for fast movements. How good are cintiqs for digital inking? :D is the responsiveness greater?
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Hello Jesse.

Im using a cintiq 20wsx at home and an intouse 3 at work. I cant say that i become at better artist with the cintiq but its more fun and you dont have to draw a couple of times to find where you are on the screen (i do this with the intouse for some darned reason).

Some pro and cons on the cintiq:
    - Being able to tilt the cintiq is ace.
    - you have two zoom strips on the back. Feels nice.
    - Be more into your modell. I usualy end up about a inch from the screen scribling away like a madman.
    - Its a nice secondary screen.
    - Ive done 13 hour runs on it and have no problems at all.
    - Gives me a different posture to work with then the intouse 3, just to avoid mousearm.
    - I use it more for zbrush then anything ells and its awsome.
    - Buttons are crap. I have my keyboard underneath the cintiq so i can reach the ctrl-shift area.
    - Big ass cable in the centre of the back so you cant really have it flat on a surface, the 12 inch one you can and thats ace. I recon you can have the 20 in your lap but itwill be awkvard.
    - Can get kinda hot after long use, but is manageble.

In the end its all down to how much cash youd like to dish out. It doesnt make you any better at what you do but I must say that i enjoy it allot. Never regret the purchase at all.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    Using the cintiq, do you have the feel of painting like with pencil on a paper?

How good are cintiqs for digital inking? :D is the responsiveness greater?

Feel, no. "That looks like...", yes. But totally dependent on your drawing/painting app.

Sample done on cintiq: http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7444/destructoship01fa0.jpg

Same with inking, preferrably with a vector tool like Manga Studio. There's a slight lag if you look too close but once you get used to it, it doesn't bother you as much.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now I only have a graphire at home. The wireless bluetooth version. I bring my intuos 3 home with me from work from time to time but I need something more solid.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ugh, the pencil scratching noise/feeling on paper is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, thanks for making me think about it!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so now the question is. Do I buy directly from wacom, newegg or go with one of the ones on ebay for a discount?

Suggestions?
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    I found mine on craigslist and got it for about 600 dollars cheaper than I would have otherwise. That said, I guess there's no guarantee with that sort of thing - but so far so good....
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh craigslist would be nice but i am not sure how many people have cintiqs in wisconsin. :)
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    kite212 wrote: »
    yeah i take my 12wx, and my lappy to school with me, cause our comps here suck, and we have intous2's in the pc labs >_<

Don't be hating! I have a 9x12 Intuos 2 and it rocks. I have used Intuos 3 and couldn't tell the difference. You can get great results with no pressure sensitivity so I don't know what all the fuss is about.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I got my 12" cintiq off ebay. They had a 10% discount at the time on any purchase up to $1,000, so I really got a good deal (got it for under $800.00 used but in new condition in all original packaging). Amazon has good deals sometimes too.

I have 2x 24inch monitors and the cintiq front middle. Personally, I think the 12'' is the right decisioin because A. I don't know how I would work with a huge 21'' in front of my other monitors, and B. its half the cost! I'm really glad I have one, and think it was worth the money as well. Good luck.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Codeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what do you guys think of this one?

http://www99.shopping.com/xPF-Wacom-Cintiq-15X-PL550

I think that is the Euro version. They also have other odd sizes as well. Not sure if it is compatable..
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read some revies and I guess it's just an older model. Everything I read was for USA based stuff so who knows.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that model was available years ago when the cintiq first shipped and they phased it out.

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbookpro. Love to get one of these, if money was no option. I believe it has 512 levels of pressure sensitivity as well, bringing it closer to an intuos/cintiq.

Unfortunately 5k is a bit much. drop it to around 3k and I'd probably go for it though.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Probably look for a new from a store that will have Manufactures warranty along with a competitive price. (or at least find used one with warranty still in effect). Wouldn't want to spend over $1k and sol if it breaks down.

I'm glad I picked up my 20" when I did, prices in Canada has jumped over $500 for a new one. My friend has a 12 wx, brings it to and back from work ever so often when he feels too. I tried his out but I felt border line between that and a wacom 9x12 tablet due to the drawing size.

Happy with my Cintiq, but my keyboard gets in the way since it's in front of it. I'm waiting for the Logitech G13 to come out in Canada so I can use that beside the cintiq and put the keyboard elsewhere.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    DO IT! Seriously...but be prepared to be spoiled.

It's the most important investment if you are really serious about digital art if you ask me. I have a 21" at work, and got a 12" for home not too long ago.

I would say both 12 and 21 great, and for different reasons:

Huge, open canvas
    Solid design, Tiltable, and allows for great art table like painting.

Long cable means it goes right in your lap when you want to recline. The feel is a bit more like a sketchbook. Easy to throw around and SOLID. Wacom doesnt make junk.

Also nice is when you flip monitors, you can use it just like a tablet, so if you like that style for certain things (i prefer modeling in 3dS that way) then you've got the best of both worlds.

1000$ cheaper...but you knew that.

The biggest tip i can give you for either of these is to buy a Nostromo Speedpad. It's a gaming peripheral that lets you set up custom keymaps for different apps. Keyboards are bulky and get in the way, especially when youre leaning over your cintiq. With this, you have all your keys on one hand, and never have to do akward reaches for shortkeys. It does take a little bit of time to set up and relearn, but once you adjust to it it saves time and cut out a ton of arm/wrist strain.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I ended up getting one tonight. Ordered it. I got the older 15" model. It hasn't been used. Only opened to verify the contents, etc. It was a gift I guess that the guy never used and decided to finally sell after collecting dust for a while. So I got it at a very awesome deal of just over 500 bucks. So to me that is worth the difference of 512 -1024 pressure sensitivity.

So just in time for dom war. Sweet!!!
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    forgot to tell about one more con. When i start my cintiq up and its cool and leave it without screensaver for some time i usualy get screenburn. Scared the shit out of me at first but the burn disappear after some time of usage.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like a pretty good deal to me Jesse. Enjoy it! I think the original wacom intuos series only had 512 levels of pressure as well and I used one the entire time I worked at DE (almost 10 years). Honestly I couldn't really tell the difference between that an an intuos 3 as far as precision went.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    If you have issues with the warm screen of the cintiq, try out one of these- http://www.smudgeguard.com/
    Keeps my hand sweat from gettin all stuck to the screen. Plus they make you look like you're part of some secret dance group.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Jesse: I looked into getting one of the older cintiq's but was turned off when I found that some of them had higher screen sizes, but the max resolution was low.
    What's the max resolution on the one you bought?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brad: I believe it was 1024x768. Not the highest res I wanted but for a fraction of the cost of a brand new one with a smaller screen it honestly didn't make a huge difference to me. It blows my wireless graphire out of the water.