Home Technical Talk

Tiling Textures

I know I am going to embarass myself by my sheer noobishness but I have recently started creating an environment and I am unsure how I should tile the texture on the building.

I am aware of one technique where you can have individual textures and scale up the brick texture via uv's

But I have looked at Stephan Morrel's stuff and somehow he is able to tile the textures all on one texture sheet.

Could someone explain to me how this is done?

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    You just add more geometry to the model, duder. If you have everything on one texture sheet, you need geometry to make up for the lack of tiling capability. That way you map each face to the brick area instead of tiling the texture in the mat editor/uvs.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing it with geometry, also lets you toss in variants in places to help break up the tiling.
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    Yes, I say go with geometry aswell. Look up modular design in the Polycount Environmental Wiki.
  • amotaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kk cheers

I will look up modular design right away..

Also I know this might be a real pain as well but I was wondering whether you guys could show me some examples that way it will definitely stick in my mind and to also make sure that I haven't misunderstood anything.

Say for example if I was to create a building (block of flats) and just highly modelled and tiled say the first floor, I wouldn't have to do the same to the next 12 floors if the next 12 floors are exactly the same right? I could just copy that floor and place it on top and re-arrange the windows to break up repeat etc?

So Modular design or adding more geometry will allow me to cut down on tiling my textures extensively???

Correct me if I am wrong and I have the wrong end of the stick.
  • amotaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also I feel I am kinda trying to run before I can walk and feel that I am getting in over my head with making environments at my stage of development.

should I just stick to practicing making props for now until I get used to the whole game art process then use that time to study and read up about making environments then make an educated and serious attempt later on once I am famailar with some of the techniques that go into making an environment instead of blundering in blind and ignorant.
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    This is made using a modular technique.

LargeBusiness1.jpg
  • amotaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the example Ashley I completely understand now cheers.:thumbup: