Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Afro Samurai - Jinnosuke

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Slaught polycounter lvl 18
This was supposed to go into the low poly thread...but look at all those polys. D:

jinno1.jpg
Character without swords is at 1010 tris.

Could be optimized a bit more but this was mainly a quick doodle i threw together in a few hours.

Replies

• konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I have this character on my desk :P the foot blocks seem 2x too thick.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    So is that some pedobear/afro samurai unholly union? I've only seen like the first two eps of A.S....
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    oooo nice! im excited to see the textures!
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    t4paN wrote: »
    So is that some pedobear/afro samurai unholly union? I've only seen like the first two eps of A.S....

Jino is one of the people Afro encounters on his way to the no.1 headband, among other things.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    this is very nice!

the geta (shoes) are very deep, as mentioned.
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I think he appears in the 3rd or 4th episode. :)

vlcsnap-32901.png

The shoes are very deep.
    I got the impression they were solid iron or stone or something, because they make a very "heavy" sound when he´s walking or stomping.
    He´s probably wearing them for training.
  • SariusMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks really nice, I love the posture of the character.

Are his hands made with planes?
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    What killer form you got going on him. Low poly indeed, and some awesome texture work, he could really shine.

Even though, your ref shows such huge foot block things, i would still make em a tad smaller. Most people who have seen the show, and those who hadn't, wont notice, and be left wondering why there so big. Keep it up!
  • Steviant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This dude is what MADE Afro Samurai for me, totally. Not only does he look totally fucking awesome, he's also a tragic character with far more depth than you'd expect from a teddy-bear-headed maniac samurai. Awesome stuff, dude.

Only crit that I can think of is that maybe the head is a weeny tiny smidgen too small? I don't have a ref to hand, but I remember the head being bigger for some reason.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    very nice....bang on
  • rdramsay1121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN wrote: »
    So is that some pedobear/afro samurai unholly union?

Oh pedobear, he haunts every corner of the interweb. That just made me crack up.

Anyway, this is a great model, love to see where it goes from here. As SariusMonk mentioned tho, are the hands just flat planes? Just curious
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    What was the significance of him having a Bear helmet type thing in the movie, just another far out character type?
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    No clue who he is, but I love the model.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    his pose realy beams out his character!

awesome work slaught!
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true wrote: »
    What was the significance of him having a Bear helmet type thing in the movie, just another far out character type?
    Having just watched it, I can say the helmet is actually fairly significant to the story. He's got a big of a darth vader thing going on, but the helmet itself is also a reference to a young girl's toy from both his and the protagonist's past.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Ah, totally forgot about that toy. Makes sense now.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking great so far! I love what you've done with the low poly count, the pose is straight out of the movie, and the bear helmet... I always loved that bear helmet. Makes me think of Lain, and her bear PJ's.

I like Afro Samurai, which is weird, cause I HATE hiphop, and anime, but what they did with the series, and movie was very interesting. And you've nailed the character so far. I wish I could give you a crit, to keep this posts ass-kissery to a minimum, but I can't see anything to crit, hoenstly. Great work, give updates.
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    you mentioned it was a doodle, so its all good when it comes to that..

but I dont see why you would still be using those plane fingers on a character thats over 1000 tris .. without proper hands even
    when you get around that kind of polycount, I'd rather see a box hand or a hand with one finger and a thumb, or maybe go wild and crazy nextgen xbox360 motherfucker and give him 3sided cylinder fingers..

its a great character, and this time even I could see myself skinning the shoulders ..
    but those plane fingers just scream laziness and kill the whole piece for me ..

but, it was a doodle, so its all good eh! :)
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! :)
    flow3d
    Wtf is this?
    This isn´t blind praise...you´re doing it wrong!

No seriously, thanks for the crits. :D!
    I had PSP specs in mind when I did this.
    The PSP screen isn´t very big so I thought it probably would look okay in a fighting game or whatever.
    You´re probably right tho...I will improve this a bit more.
    Are his hands made with planes?
    The top and bottom of the hand connect at the base of the fingers.
    The fingers are planes.

Here´s what they look like:
    hand.jpg
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    nice work man! always a fan of your low (or mid:P) poly stuffs
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the arms could use one more edge running from shoulder to wrist, just so they're not completely square. It wouldn't be a big deal normally, but they just flare out so large at the cuffs that it really becomes noticeable and I think would really show up if animated. On the note of animation, one more loop across the bicep would likely help as well.
  • machuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aahh this is totally awesome! love his posture!
    are you planning on texturing him?! hope so!
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    Slaught wrote: »
    Wtf is this?
    This isn´t blind praise...you´re doing it wrong!

dont get me wrong, I am just as much of a sick twisted fan as the rest of the bunch. I mean, we all touch ourselves to your work and have a doll made in your image which we dip in honey and gently smother our butt cheeks with ... its fabulous daaarling(insert gay voice there)

kisses**
  • speshlboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tis beast!
    Jinnosuke's a great character, instant recognizable mesh.
  • Holler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it but the ony thing is if you every wanted to animate it those triangles are gonna be a bitch.