Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Benelli M3 Super 90

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Kimono polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, made this with the intention of sending it into Crysis, got to brush up on animating first though :poly122:

wippo6.jpg

wip2za7.jpg

(Sorry about the shoddy wireframes, I'll post up better ones when I get time)

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I like it! Mind if I ask for another view of the HP from a front angle?
  • SnarG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice. Makes me want to go play some SWAT 4. Would like to see a vid of the animations when they're done.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I see alot of ngons on the grip - otherwise very nice result
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    I see alot of ngons on the grip - otherwise very nice result

well...
    the normalmapped model looks good, so who cares.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    well sometimes (maybe not here) a controlled triangle flow is preferred also for shading matters
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    gets triangulated anyways...you may get issues if the mirrored triangulation creates smoothing artefacts different from the other side (that the normal won't correct)

looks good, a bit too brushed for my taste, but good nonetheless, reminds me of wannabe_'s (I think that was his name) Diffuse only CS weapons work, back in the old PC days.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    really nice, maybe a bit high polycount, but endresult is dope fresh. but remove the "im lazy" part..
  • ankur_ssa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey nice work man. Great :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff, looks nice and sharp.
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I like it! Mind if I ask for another view of the HP from a front angle?

Hey of course not man, already had this render posted on another forum:

wipca4.jpg

If there are any other shots any of you want just gimme a shout, have somebody helping me to rig this for Crysis as we speak but I feel animating is going to force me into a straight jacket :poly142:
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like the spec is just a copy of the diffuse, which = MAJOR FAIL. Do a proper spec map dude, work on the materials a bit more too, the metal and plastic both seem to read as the same dull(not dull as in you suck, but literally dull as in no reflection) material. Pop out a bit more shine, and some specific details in the spec(contrast, scratches, different texture, some subtle color variation, etc) and the texture will be up to par with the model.

Also are the textured lowpoly shots realtime screenshots or renders? From the look of the geometry on your lowpoly i would expect some smoothing errors in the normal, but that doesnt seem to be the case. Remember that max scanline render does NOT = what it will look like in real time, as the normal interpolation is more precise, and everything will look great in your render, but may be fucked in game if you arent previewing with an actual realtime shader.

[edit] Looking closely at your normals, looks like you've got everything set up with different smoothing groups. Care to write up a little bit about how you're getting seemingly-seamless results with that method?
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    perna wrote: »
    Am I the only one who's noticed that he's baked the lighting into his diffuse or am I confused here?

He used a ground plane, skylight, and light tracer to bake a little diffuse lighting. The effect is minimal but will help keep the weapon looking good in all lighting conditions.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    agrreed^ will look confussed in lighting NOT from above
    personnally id just use AO no ground plane and then more for dust dirt and saturation values than for over darkening
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I agree that it could use more work so I will go over it. I always get slightly bored when it comes to the specular map. On the subject of the Spec Earthquake I'm going to be quite tentative with it. I've seen way too many people just overlay what looks to be pictures of the side of an oil rig and then just contrast it by 80. An exaggeration I know but most all assets I see now tend to look as though they have been worked upon with a chisel. I'll add more unique texture to the specular (ie not just what is already there on the diffuse intensified) and possibly more dark patches to break the lighting a bit more but I'm afraid I don't plan to make every edge white, to me cleaner textures are much more pleasing to look at but I seem to be in the "escaped from an institute minority" :poly121:

About the baked lighting looking again it is too strong, I'll have to mess around with that :)

SHEPEIRO: I think I will keep the baked lighting, especially in Unreal 3 I've noticed without an extremely heavy specular assets can look pretty bland when not in optimal lighting conditions.

E: Earthquake do you happen to use MSN? if not which engine do you recommend I preview it in? I don't own Unreal (been told it's extremely easy to export to).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making a quality texture has nothing to do with making every edge white, but understanding that what makes a good, dynamic material is how your diffuse, spec and normals all work together. The spec should never be a second thought, and in fact with materials like metal, is much more important for believability than the diffuse.

Also, answer my questions about normals or face BANHAMMER.
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You bake with xNormal right? xNormal hates smoothing groups and renders them with seams that alias like mofos. I use a mixture of a max bake (with cage) and an xnormal bake. If you have the uv maps split where the smoothing groups oppose it should bake perfectly in 3dsm.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah ok thats exactly what i thought. What are you using xnormal for? Can't you do all of that in max?
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xNormal gives a muuuuch better bake on detailing, such as on screws or holes in the surface, 3dsm's look fine but xnormal in general is alot cleaner.
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    max2009 gives a good bake on split edges, but xnormal does better away from the edges. You still get aliased edges with smoothing groups, but the projection is so good, it's no big deal when stuff is in motion or when antialiased like you have here, if I'm correct Kimono?

Someone please make an animated gif of EQs avatar.

Pretty much, I've rendered it with just the bake that xnormal did, as you can see some of the seams are quite noticeable. It is great dealing with single smoothing groups probably because I'm guessing it was geared towards organic work (inbuilt z-brush features and the ability to have a good bake without a cage)

wipzy1.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    LET'S SUPRESS OPINIONS
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry wrote: »
    oh for fucks sake

this isn't CDG dude.
    mkay?
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    oh so moderators edit posts to conform with their personal tastes here
    awesome

anyway seeing as my opinion wasnt good enough first time around, i'll try for round two.
    First person weapons seldom are seen upside down... And (of course, depending on the engine) it's generally a sick idea to give art some extra pop by baking a LITTLE light (because in games there's MAYBE like 1% of the actual light sources and conditions youd find in reality)
    Having said that, full dynamic lighting is also cool.

What's not cool is pretending theres a right and wrong way to present your artwork. I think people are getting some tall poppy syndrome because kimono's artwork kicks the ass out of pretty much any commercial weapon art, particularly in the area of realism.

which probably would be best summed up as "oh for fuck's sake" @ the amount of swelling, pulsating rancid ego in this thread.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    I think people are getting some tall poppy syndrome because kimono's artwork kicks the ass out of pretty much any commercial weapon art, particularly in the area of realism.

Leave the ego at the door kiddo, or preferably, just go back to cdg. That attitude will get you nowhere here...
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Perna, I'm not the one editing the posts of people who don't blindly agree with me.
    And tall poppy refers to a syndrome where humans feel a need to drag down anyone who excels. I wasn't calling anyone "a tall poppy."

And the ego? Ego refers to the self, im talking about Kimono's work.

The incoherance of all this really doesnt help me feel sympathetic to your "camp."
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    i'm speechless

(at kimono's work and at the behavior of forum regulars in this thread)
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    hey kimono, good to see you doing some "nextgen" firearms, while still keeping a little of the old texture style!

makes me wants to jump on to the cs replacement saddle again... haha keep at it dude.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude, relax ok?
    random bullshit posts like the one you made aren't well suited for this forum.
    like i said, this isn't CDG. each forum has it's rules, and here, posts like that dont contribute to the quaility of the forum.
    why didnt you post earlier what you said in this last post of yours?

it wouold have been more productive.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    I thought it was obvious I was referring to stuff like EQ calling kimono's work "EPIC FAIL"

wanna talk about quality feedback
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Looks like the spec is just a copy of the diffuse, which = MAJOR FAIL. Do a proper spec map dude, work on the materials a bit more too, the metal and plastic both seem to read as the same dull(not dull as in you suck, but literally dull as in no reflection) material. Pop out a bit more shine, and some specific details in the spec(contrast, scratches, different texture, some subtle color variation, etc) and the texture will be up to par with the model.

Also are the textured lowpoly shots realtime screenshots or renders? From the look of the geometry on your lowpoly i would expect some smoothing errors in the normal, but that doesnt seem to be the case. Remember that max scanline render does NOT = what it will look like in real time, as the normal interpolation is more precise, and everything will look great in your render, but may be fucked in game if you arent previewing with an actual realtime shader.

[edit] Looking closely at your normals, looks like you've got everything set up with different smoothing groups. Care to write up a little bit about how you're getting seemingly-seamless results with that method?

you talking about this?
    i dont know what you are reading. but it must be diferent from what im reading. all i see is advise. maybe you are reading a diferent stuff that im not aware off.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    oh sorry, it was major, not epic
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Kimono it's good to see you doing next gen stuff, I've seen your stuff progress a lot in the last few years.

I agree with Earthquake though, you need to really spend some time popping your spec and focusing on bringing out the materials. The lighting in your diffuse could cause some issues and is probably worth looking into once put in engine to make sure it's not conflicting too dramatically with your lights. The texture as a whole seems very flat gray across the board right now too, and with the spec fixes it will pop more but I also suggest darkening your diffuse grays with value changes to separate materials, I think that will help pop it as well. I think your shell should be hue shifted a little and given some more saturation as well.

Keep at it, model looks good!
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    since we're all talking about it already....

What do people think of using an AO as a base for a spec map? Then adding scratches, and things to it? Seems like it works good as a base, since it will darken where things go down or where two planes meet.

I really dig the shotgun, dude. Great detail work!
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    oh so moderators edit posts to conform with their personal tastes here
    awesome

anyway seeing as my opinion wasnt good enough first time around, i'll try for round two.
    First person weapons seldom are seen upside down... And (of course, depending on the engine) it's generally a sick idea to give art some extra pop by baking a LITTLE light (because in games there's MAYBE like 1% of the actual light sources and conditions youd find in reality)
    Having said that, full dynamic lighting is also cool.

What's not cool is pretending theres a right and wrong way to present your artwork. I think people are getting some tall poppy syndrome because kimono's artwork kicks the ass out of pretty much any commercial weapon art, particularly in the area of realism.

which probably would be best summed up as "oh for fuck's sake" @ the amount of swelling, pulsating rancid ego in this thread.

hah talk about swelling heads here.

Yeah weapons are not upside down usually but quite often there on their side laying on the ground or perhaps a table. Baking the shadows into the diffuse like he has it would look silly for a weapon laying on its side.

The spec map is crap. For starters why is the bottom less shiny where the AO was baked in? Nobody is saying make it a streaked oil rig.

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=53731&page=5 Would be a good source for some pointers.

It's a decent weapon for CS source but for dropping it in an engine like Crysis a few of us are saying it needs more work.
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK guys, please, I'm working on it today. Ironhawk, I've seen that before (Earthquake posted it on some other forums) it's an amazing looking piece but the actual texture of the metal is pretty strange, looks kinda like it was laying in water for a while.

00078.jpg

What I'm trying to achieve seems to be quite harder in a dynamic environment and (as I've been told) I'm apparently failing. I don't want 100% realism but I want something close. I've already said the textures could use some work so I'm going to see what I can do.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yeah those colour varients are not that difficult to acheive but to do dynamically is only in a few engines.

spherical harmonics is what you need- or for the purpose of renders a very blurred env.map use the ati cube map generator to produce a good one.
  • [Deleted User]
    Not to be another fresh guy lecturing you on the basics of texturing, but maybe we should see how it looks in the game before he goes and makes a bunch of changes based on advisement rather than empirical evidence.
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh another thing that's worth noting..
    When lighting is dynamic, it of course means that it very rarely will come from any of the "cool angles" that you want. When you pose a real gun for a photo you're careful to create the best lighting conditions for that particular photo. When baking light in your diffuse you choose that best lighting condition, meaning it will "always look cool". Yes, but it will also look dull and incorrect in movement.

So to balance out the fact that you get poor results most of the time with dynamic light (exactly like in real life), you exaggerate things, you push the art side.. and by doing this you are moving away from "realism". It has to be done however.

Generally for games, you're not making 3d assets that will only be viewed from one angle or under one light setup. I would say your approach is more geared towards making 1 good-looking render more than to make something that works well ingame.

I understand exactly what you're trying to do and why, and I certainly appreciate it, you are doing a very good job. But it may be relevant for you to ask why established professionals are not doing the same.
    Well I'm not looking to change the world. As Kaskad said I want to view it ingame, not as an offence to anyone here, I respect you all and this is a great community. Just that I can be quite stubborn and to learn on my own (mistakes?) will be the best course of action :)
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, except it actually appears to be of a high standard in practise.
    What ever happened to going by whether something looks right rather than make adjustments based purely on what's the norm? Its a first person model, it's not a world model, it will be "right-way-up" 100% of the time. Clearly the world model would be different, and at the very least not use the same diffuse map (baked light could be removed)

I totally understand where youre coming from perna, but the way I see it it's either, bake a little lighting on and have it look correct in 90% of lighting situations, or have the diffuse even intensity across the map and have it look correct in like 10% of lighting situations. The problem is, in my opinion, that dynamic lighting just isn't at a stage yet where things can be lit in a truly natural way.

Of course though, I'm open to the idea that he might put it ingame and it turn out looking like complete shit.... Because I'm not the kind of guy to just assume I know the deal without actually observing evidence. He might as well at least try with what he has now, and then if it looks like the back of his nuts then it's time to change it, and perhaps apply the lessons to his work in future.

Oh and, if overlaying photos of pubic hair is what you consider "material definition," the standards and expectations of this place are way below what I was hoping for.
  • [Deleted User]
    Kaskad: After you tie your shoe laces, will you walk with uncertainty for some time before you affirm that you have done it correctly and will not trip up and fall?

That little metaphor is as far as I'll go in participating in a debate over these very conventional and established art theories.
    Your metaphor doesn't hold up m8, being that this is the first time he's put something in the engine and not the 5,000th. The very first time I tied my shoe laces, yes, I was a bit uncertain that I had done it right even though my parents, who had years of experience with shoe tying, told me that I had. Telling him not to check it in the engine and trust what you're saying blindly is dumb. I doubt you learned that way.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    It sounds like he's just tucking his shoelaces into his shoes rather than tying them
    or maybe he has velcro straps
    or maybe he's wearing flip-flops without any laces at all

That little metaphor is as far as I'll go in participating in etc etc...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    This thread has been horribly de-railed, please keep it back on track with more appropriate critiques (such as what has been mentioned with the specular map), and less of the person-bashing.

Anyone who posts personal attacks after this will be facing infractions, leading to a ban if they persist.

Cheers!
  • [Deleted User]
    I'm sorry if I misunderstood you but I got the impression that you were suggesting that checking it in-game would have been a waste of time because you had already told him a better way to do things. If that is not what you were suggesting then I apologize. If that is what you were saying then I do not. Either way, I agree that a calm and objective discussion is what is preferable. The only lighting he's got in the diffuse is top-down and non-specular. I don't think that this is particularly unrealistic in a game such as Crysis which takes place largely outdoors; in fact I think it'll probably do a good deal to keep the weapon looking interesting when not in a particularly interesting lighting situation. Is this realistic? Nope. But you yourself said that sometimes you have to break realism and push the art side. I don't see how what he's done is anything else.

And by the way, I agree with Earthquake about the specular. I'm only talking about the lighting on the diffuse.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry:"The problem is, in my opinion, that dynamic lighting just isn't at a stage yet where things can be lit in a truly natural way."

Since the gun is in the game world, and not the real world, shouldn't it match the game lighting? The point is to make the gun STICK into the world. Not look perfect on its own terms.

Harry:"I totally understand where youre coming from perna, but the way I see it it's either, bake a little lighting on and have it look correct in 90% of lighting situations, or have the diffuse even intensity across the map and have it look correct in like 10% of lighting situations."

it will look wrong, technically, in 100% of lighting situations as is, unless its this static shot. That is what they are getting at.

Again, great gun! I'm very jealous that you have it.

So now on that spec? Is starting from a AO map a good way to do it? Thats what I do.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I gotta ask a stupid question here, but what's negative black when it's at home. I would have guessed 'white' :P
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    hahahaha.. Fight fight fight fight!!!
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    man, lets all whip out or cocks and measure! seriously though, most of everyones the points are valid re: some baked light does look coolio etc, but I totally agree on the whole no 100% black and beyond. some light will almost always bounce into cracks and crevices so it should never be totally dark. thanks for the example per, good illustration of what you mean.

Nice highpoly model man, looks great. I really cant wait to see your new spec, the original images grabbed my eye so im eager to see it once you've givn'er a bit more to refine the material type. nice work so far man now sift through this curfuffel of a thread and apply the crits and comments for a smokin' result.

cheers!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dolemite wrote: »
    since we're all talking about it already....

What do people think of using an AO as a base for a spec map? Then adding scratches, and things to it? Seems like it works good as a base, since it will darken where things go down or where two planes meet.

I really dig the shotgun, dude. Great detail work!

For both my diffuse and spec i use the same AO/LM. What i do here is just create a layer group above both my diffuse and spec layers in my psd. The reasoning for this has always seemed pretty sound to me, the less diffuse light something is getting, the less specular reflection you're likely to get as well.

So would i used an AO bake as the base for my spec? No, but i would use the same AO bake i have on my diffuse, multiplied on my spec. Generally its good to use your diffuse as a base for your specular, and identify which areas will need more/less reflectivity depending on material type, conditions, wear, etc and make adjustments accordingly.
  • dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks EQ!!! :) You're the best!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dear rooster-tooter (wif luv)
    per128_subblack.jpg

Mathematically the gradient continues beyond black, but once you bake those values into a texture, you lose that gradient, thereby losing all shape and definition in that area if it's lit.

You never let baked light in your diffuse go down to black, let alone beyond black. I'll probably receive a bunch of hatemail now for using the word "never" where I suppose I should have said something like "maybe less frequently, perhaps, in my opinion, and I don't wish to offend anyone and I preach love and understanding across the universe".

Per dropping some science here. Another very important thing to consider when dealing with very dark values is compression, not that this necessarily has a lot to do with Kimono's asset, but dealing with darker values in the low color rangers can really hurt you especially with gradients, when you have compressed textures(most games). You're already dealing with a very low amount of precision, being at the bottom of the spectrum of color range, and compression tends to really make this obvious.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    the low color rangers

Where do I sign up!?