Home General Discussion

Polycount podcast?

ae.
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ae. polycounter lvl 12
I usually listen to podcast while making my game art. especially developer podcasts like the guys over at bungie, insomniac games and so.

I was wondering if at any point you guys think you could make podcasts about game art on polycount?

talk about the latest games, developments in the game industry and even game art in general?

Also you could even do a video podcast showing off the communites work? the latest maps that are awesome reviews and so on the possibilities are endless. also dont forget about artist interviews :)

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Although I feel this is a good idea, I'm not really sure who specifically would take charge of such an effort. In principle, it is great. In practice it is logistically much harder to manage.

Podcasts and vidcasts take a lot more effort than most people think. First there is the scheduling necessary to actually get the source audio. And then there is the post-production work. It's no small shakes. You would have to have at least one person dedicated to organizing such an effort. And call me crazy, but I was always under the impression that Polycount was a not-for-profit kind of site. Oh sure, they get some money from click-through, and they earn some from T-shirt sales. But I really don't think the site administrators are making the "big-bucks" off of Polycount. Unless they wanted to expand the marketing of the site, there wouldn't be much benefit in having a regular podcast.
  • Rob Galanakis
    This is something I've brought up to Adam, a joint podcast with tech-artists.org, and it is something the powers that be are interested in and I think we'll see working once PC 2.0 launches in a month or two. I'm pretty confident in that.
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    apparently, brome sounds like mike tyson
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    it would be really great to get artist interviews and showing off work in the community on a video podcast would be great.
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    not to put a pin in this but what exactly would be podcasted?

Tips for 3d / technical art? music? (A bit confused since podcasts varry from place to place)
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    seforin wrote: »

Tips for 3d / technical art? music? (A bit confused since podcasts varry from place to place)

game art related stuff, artist interviews reviews on the latest games, artist spotlights showcasing whats the top art is in teh community. just showcasing the art and artists of the game development cummunity in general.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    A more simple and constraints-free approach would be, each time someone submits a cool video tutorial, an ingame video of something being worked on (ZeroGear in action) or a nice demo reel, this is sent out as a podcast episode if the mods validate it...
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    seforin wrote: »

I like artist interviews a la Sidebar and the Animation podcasts. This could be mixed with an open discussion portion, call-in comments from anyone (familiar with talkshoe?), shop talk etc. If people are daring enough someone could start a live modelling or speed drawing feed c/o Ustream. I believe it has both voice and text chat capabilities. Cool thing about places like talkshoe and Ustream is that they can archive content for you.

Single artist interviews can be time consuming though 'cuz you gotta contact people, do the interview, and do a lot of audio cutting. I think you can have a more regular running schedule if the podcast is more of a round table type of format with a few ready topics to be discussed.
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    [...] Podcasts and vidcasts take a lot more effort than most people think.[...]
    Normally, but nowhere near as much as you explain in your post. The mistake most people do when starting a podcast for a community such as this is overthinking it. Don't. Just get 3 members on Skype (start with 3 members who find themselves online at the same time normally), get a list of 5 things to talk about, and hit record. No rehearsals. It'll be rough the first few times, but I'm sure it will be fun.

Really, we don't even need to get Adam, or any of the "admins" involved in this if they don't have time and resources, or think it's a bad idea. Just have to make it the unofficial Polycount community podcast.

So yeah, the absolutely biggest hurdle is overthinking it, overcomplicating it. Start small, just general talk, and then evolve it with guests, interviews, what-have-you.
  • Pedro Amorim
    East wrote: »
    Normally, but nowhere near as much as you explain in your post. The mistake most people do when starting a podcast for a community such as this is overthinking it. Don't. Just get 3 members on Skype (start with 3 members who find themselves online at the same time normally), get a list of 5 things to talk about, and hit record. No rehearsals. It'll be rough the first few times, but I'm sure it will be fun.

Really, we don't even need to get Adam, or any of the "admins" involved in this if they don't have time and resources, or think it's a bad idea. Just have to make it the unofficial Polycount community podcast.

So yeah, the absolutely biggest hurdle is overthinking it, overcomplicating it. Start small, just general talk, and then evolve it with guests, interviews, what-have-you.

I like it!
    i can be the comic relief guy!
    the funny accent comedy guy! ZING!

Btw my skype name is: introduktion
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    East wrote: »
    Just get 3 members on Skype (start with 3 members who find themselves online at the same time normally), get a list of 5 things to talk about, and hit record. No rehearsals.

You are probably right, East. I suppose it's what comes of being in a job. You just automatically approach things like this from a more professional point of view. But your idea is solid. Since there wouldn't likely be a professional staff assigned to this, starting with a more professional format and production values would be silly. Just get three to four guys from the community who are good at discussion, coming up with a list of topics, and let them go at it. You would still want to have one of them be the "moderator." (to help keep things from getting too tangential) But there's no need to formalize anything until you have an appealing rapport in place. (and a regular, manageable schedule)
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Yes!

Has any other art (more so 3d art) community done this before? Polycount could be a first :P
  • bounchfx
    I'd be all over this
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    :) It's definitely something we'll (at the very least) attempt once the new site is a go.
  • jouste
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    here here! what a great idea! :D

i'd be really down for hearing what the great artists on here have to say about everything from the industry to games themselves.
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    glad everyone's down for a podcast cant wia t to see what comes out of this :P
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    or they could just be inane ramblings for 30 mins .. If you need contributions for that lemmie know ! xD
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    word, i'm down, podcast ftw
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Yeah, I'd dig a podcast. I listen to some "gamer" podcasts and usually get annoyed by listening to the "other side"...the ones by developers, like Insomniac's can be a good listen...though I wish they were more technical rather than PR. Hearing what artists have to say about the work, what games their playing...recent drama on PC...all good.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The other forum I frequent runs a community podcast set up by a couple of members. There's two guys that appear on all of the casts - the "professional" one who has a loose list of topics to begin with, decides when to move on to a new topic and runs any serious interviews. The other guy is there for support and comic relief primarily. Each cast they invite one or two other members to discuss a specific theme that they have some knowledge of, whether it's a specific game, a certain genre or something a little more meta.

They begin each cast with the simple question "what have you been playing recently". It breaks the ice, helps to get the guests into a comfortable, chatty mood and allows the listener to learn a little about the guest.
    Once the podcast is completed, the professional guy takes it away, edits out excess waffle and tangents, add's some music between the major topics and then releases it.

It's a format that works extremely well and has proven quite popular with non-members, if the ITunes downloads are anything to go by. I dare say it'd work just as well for Polycount as long as the hosts were chosen well.
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    neat Hope to see a podcast going soon!

so would it be possible to vote for what will be podcasted? (people we like to hear about/ tutorial /tip discussions ?)
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    can always make recommendations, a vote isn't really necessary in the beginning.
  • bearkub
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    brome actually sounds like Meg Tilly when he talks, not Mike Tyson. Easily confused...
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe a tutorial / talk discussion with our first time unearthly challenge winner? :) *hint hint*
  • Michael Knubben
    Be careful what you wish for, Seforin
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i vote for an hour of bitmap doing his american accent