Home General Discussion

The industry Is collapsing, what are your thoughts?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
seforin polycounter lvl 17
More and more each day we are reading and hearing of the industry letting go of more and more skilled employees but usually after the new year there is usually the biggest point of hiring for the new years worth of games.

But the more I read online (on forums and game tab etc) I hear of more and more good people losing work?

What do you people think will happen this upcoming year?

I mean yea sure there will be senior rolls of course, but what about the just entry people, or those who are eagerly looking for work, what sort of predictions do you think will happen in this upcoming year?

Will the industry bounce back like our economy (crossing fingers and HOPING) or will things continue to go down.

Will small business be overall more successful since there self funding more then the bigger publishers or will the bigger company's (The Ea's and blizzards) overall keep the most security in this industry?

I just was interested what some of you guys thought of this.

Either way I'm still keeping a pencil and sketching and sculpting!!

Replies

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    It is far from collapsing. In fact, sales are up across the industry.

Yes things are being shuffled around and there is a lot of "OMG MORE LAYOFFS!" so surely its not great for some people, but the market for games is still growing.

Just relax and work on that portfolio and you'll get in.

The credit crunch is hurting everyone, but this is not a time of collapse, its a time of rebuilding. The old ways are no longer valid, so new ways must be forged, and unfortunately that forging often costs jobs from existing companies making a new course.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Midways layoffs haven't been a huge surprise. They have been hurting for years. They never made the jump to consoles from arcade well and have had people there collecting high saleries for a long time that are not contributing to any production in the current console cycle.

Also having worked there I can honestly say they blow money on things that don't matter and that money could be better put to game development, hiring new talent and keeping it and trimming the fat so to speak.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Sef

I'm still a student, but nearing my graduation. Within the last 6 months I've attended a GDC and started to do a lot of networking and to be perfectly honest, things seem pretty solid from my point of view, concerning entry level.

I've been offered work by three companies (no blizzards or EA's) and I'm still 6 months from my grad date.

I'm absolutely willing to relocate worldwide with almost no gripes or complaints so that will take me a lot further than those who try to stay local to their respective areas.

I feel however that the game industry is still very strong and robust. although there are certain companies that let poeple go or fail, the good artists out there dont simply vanish. I assume that the people that lose work will find it again in other studios, different artistic avenues, or even starting their own new studios with comrades they've met over the years that have met similar fates.

With the entertainment industry thriving as it has never before, I believe that these fallen companies will act like Hydras. Sever one head and 2 more will replace it.

Maybe I'm just optimistic, but as long as game makers still have a passion for doing this stuff, then I believe everyone will land on their feet.

cheers :P
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    industry collapse, as in how sales of workhorses for industrial use collapsed when internal combustion engines were introduced?
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    dejawolf wrote: »
    industry collapse, as in how sales of workhorses for industrial use collapsed when internal combustion engines were introduced?

lol
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    The industry has historically moved in cycles, and part of the cycle is layoffs like this from what I understand. It's definitely not collapsing though. If anything a mass amount of layoffs will just cause new growth. Lots of experienced, talented people being layed off means new companies are getting formed and somewhat new companeis are able to build up. For instance, we're on the up where I'm working and have been hiring, which is made far easier because companies like Activision (And a bunch of others) have been kind enough to lay off bunch of talented, experienced people for us to snag up. :)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    We must tell the president immediately.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Sir: we MUST bail out midway, or Americans will lose jobs!!!
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    I really gotta name my topics better, no I dont mean the OH MY GOD ITS DOOMED sort of collapse I mean more along the lines for "craps going sour but will it turn around soon"

Yea Im working on art all the time now Ive gotten past the point of needing fame in my posts (cough stimpack drunken quote) Or the envievitable being afraid of art because I dont understand it, so this is beyond myself when im asking this question, I enjoy making art and sculpting now weither its right or wrong in the end its if you enjoy it ,eventually it'll be right if you work at it and study hard enough (waiting for johny to drop kick me saying my sculpts are muddy still :p )

Either way I hear the smaller companies not doing to hot lately because they cant get any publishers to really help due to the economy and the overall freeze in this industry.

Guess I was wondering on the big and the small scale of things lately?

Suprore:We must toss shoes at him it will get his attention quicker!
    Aesir: ROFL.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Just trimming the fat. It sucks, but it happens every few years or so. Talented people will always land on their feet.

- BoBo
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    seforin wrote: »
    Suprore:We must toss shoes at him it will get his attention quicker!

I think they'd sail far over his head.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not only loose jobs, but the terrorist win! Oh wait that was the old regime... Damn Obama with his smooth "save the world with hope" talk.

But seriously, I think the industry is pretty solid. This is:
    1 part normal seasonal post xmas rush slump made worse by drying up venture capital.
    1 part the industry still adjusting to "next gen budgets"
    1 part damn we is dumb with this money stuff

Look at the American Auto Industry, been around forever and we all know why its failing, because we all know what defines their success, how they get there, and how they keep it, very clear. Now look at all the finger pointing, conjecture and just plain ill informed statements (often from people on the inside) that float around when some place in our industry, goes under.
    Two guess why that is...
    (Hint:
    We have a young industry filled with people who mowed lawns and made games in their garage. The most zeros they've seen prior to spear heading multi-million dollar titles, where after the decimal point.
    )

I imagine that studios that have key people in charge that aren't there just to suck up stacks of cash, fuck super models on company time and hope to saddle the next guy with a failing company, aren't going under.

Simple economics and somehow a lot of people forgot it.
    Don't spend more then you can make.
    Don't lend to people who can't pay it back.
    Don't barrow from people who don't actually have money.
    When in doubt save it out.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    seforin wrote: »
    Guess I was wondering on the big and the small scale of things lately?

Can't speak for all small companies, but we're currently working on 2 projects for two different major publishers, and we're a pretty damn small company. And the company my girlfriend is at is also doing pretty damn solidly. Not sure if that in any way represents other small companies, but yea, we're doing fine.

Really, there's nothing to worry about until 2012 I think.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    smaller companies seem to be doing ok, its the large publisher/ publicly traded companies who are freaking out. their stock has dropped drastically so they have to show their shareholders they are doing something to cut costs and hopefully increase revenue. im sure itll even out soon, well i hope :P
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    I think AstroZombie worded it quite accurately when talking about Paradigm closing it's doors:
    It actually seems to be somewhat of a cycle in the industry. Publishers decide that it is cheaper to use external development studios and begin shutting down all of their internal studios. In a few years they will decide that internal development gives them more control over the end product and start buying up studios once again. Rinse and repeat.

That's exactly how I've felt on the whole situation as well... obviously the economy's current state has definite influence and it should be a no brainer that the industry is evolving as others have said.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Just trimming the fat. It sucks, but it happens every few years or so. Talented people will always land on their feet.
    It seems mean, but I agree with this.

Every artist, even after they get the cool job they always wanted, should strive to improve continuously and create the absolute bleeding razor edge of artwork to the best of their ability. There really isn't any excuse, outside of laziness and perhaps depression, to not carry one's artistry forward in such a way. :| I'm not saying this is what anyone else is implying, but is just my personal (and critical, inevitably hypocritical) opinion.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I find it unlikely that everyone that got kicked was a bad artist but maybe i´m just misunderstanding you?
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, no, didn't mean that. I think a lot of people in all industries have become unfairly out of work this year. It's happened to a lot of people I know outside the game industry as well, even the most talented and awesome people. It's not that I think people don't deserve jobs, hahaha. Being out of work sucks. I've been feeling the hurt of it the past six months.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav wrote: »
    It seems mean, but I agree with this.

Every artist, even after they get the cool job they always wanted, should strive to improve continuously and create the absolute bleeding razor edge of artwork to the best of their ability. There really isn't any excuse, outside of laziness and perhaps depression, to not carry one's artistry forward in such a way. :| I'm not saying this is what anyone else is implying, but is just my personal (and critical, inevitably hypocritical) opinion.
    Toss in family while your at it. Some people choose to not work on game art outside or work (or greatly limit it) so they can have a life, perhaps that falls into the depression/sanity category? If most artists are lucky, the work they're doing is pushing the edges of their art and qualifies (and can be used) as portfolio pieces.

I also think what BoBo was saying, Vrav was expanding on was that talent has a way of persisting. When you shake the tree, the loose nuts fall off... kind of thing.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    The industry isn't collapsing... We're just trimming off the companies that haven't been successful enough to stay around. New ones will get started just like they always do, and then most of them will fail eventually too.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Vig wrote:
    Toss in family while your at it. Some people choose to not work on game art outside or work (or greatly limit it) so they can have a life, perhaps that falls into the depression/sanity category?
    Ouch, that's very true. I always forget about having a family or social life when ranting about art-devotions. How silly of me; I did not mean to sound elitist, just fail at being human.

Aesir, isn't it also true older companies that once were successful, but have fallen out the running somewhat, are also experiencing the trim? Rather stressful, but that does seem the natural way of things. Studios being eaten up, or breaking off, or drying out. This isn't solely related to the artists working in any given studio, either, I imagine. So, now I understand my own misconception: it is not necessarily a trimming of individuals, but the trimming of an overgrown industry. Molting.

Was confused.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    The problem is that new companies are going to find it hard because there is a lack of money

for new ventures these days after all the recent financial shit hitting fan kind of stuff.

I think that there will be more layoffs and as mentioned the hard core of talented people will

still be getting work.

is it just me or is 'fiscal stimulus' really a bit rude.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're a drama-queen. Those are my thoughts.

But yeah, game sales and us being a 'vice-industry' doesn't matter when companies can't get funding. The credit crunch will affect the game industry.

Nice to know Bobo considers me and others here the 'fat' of the industry. I think I far prefer the more realistic views that Vig and P.I.G hold.

Also, Vrav seems to be fond of humble-pie ;)
    Seriously though, nice way to respond to criticism, it's not the standard internet-way at all, heh.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    my first thoughts?
    "holy shit holy shit im gonna die holy shit! what the fuck am i gonna do?!)"£!"(£!"
    then i calm down a bit and think shit just sit tight, dig in, and wait it out....it always gets better....without downs you cant have ups....
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    A bit over-reactive? A few people vocal on forums about losing jobs does not a collapse make. Don't jump ship just yet... that's what Wallstreet did..

I would like to see a statistic on what percentage of jobs have been 'trimmed'.

You should probably think more carefully before posting topics like this... a lot of toes are going to be stepped on and egos bruised and thrown around.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Instead of worrying about something you cant do anything about work on your art man, dont waste time with this shit . Exactly what i did now! oh shi-!
  • ColinR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColinR polycounter lvl 9
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/free-radical-design-latest-to-face-financial-trouble

Looks like Free Radical Design has closed its doors for good also. Not confirmed from anyone at the company, but that's what GI.biz is going by.

First UK studio to close since things have gone bad money wise, right?
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read it on shacknews too, that's just terrible :(
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Things aren't bad all over in the industry, and things will bounce back in some fashion as they usually do. However, now is a very bad time for getting financing, so the new crop of hopefull start-ups is not going to appear as quickly as it would in a normal business climate. For places like Austin, where a bunch of studios faded away recently, it will be very tough for a while for people trying to get industry jobs in town.

My main concern is the sort of new studios that crop up. I fear that more often we will see "micro-studios" composed of small teams that outsource as much work as possible to cheap foreign contractors. That's a good short-term way for publishers to save some money, but very bad for laid off folks who find few job opportunities in this sort of system. Of course, maybe this won't happen, and decent sized studios will come into existence.

In any case, the industry as a whole is doing fine when looked at long-term.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColinRoss wrote: »
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/free-radical-design-latest-to-face-financial-trouble

Looks like Free Radical Design has closed its doors for good also. Not confirmed from anyone at the company, but that's what GI.biz is going by.

First UK studio to close since things have gone bad money wise, right?
    Crap. Had a friend working in that one :(
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    There's always Barber College
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    The industry is definitely not collapsing. Just changing, you could say evolving. I'm not sure if the team of 20 outsourcing to 100 ppl in China or elsewhere is a long term evolved strategy either. But for now I think it's something we'll see more.
    In the short term, if you take out the credit crap this is pretty much par for the course.
    Once the credit crap settles and capital starts freeing up again I can see lots of start ups sprouting up everywhere. They might not all be next gen stuff though. I imagine a lot of 10-20 ppl teams making Iphone games/apps, play-for-free mmos, and more casual stuff.
    Perhaps a 3G Boom?

How to weather the current climate?
    Be the best at what you do, or at least sell yourself that way!
    Best of luck to all those currently unemployed. If you are able to take some time off before looking. Relax!! Play a couple games that are sitting on the shelf collecting dust.
    You have an entire lifetime to work.
    B
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A workmate showed me this.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/50816

Ten Ton Hammer is proud to sponsor a unique giving opportunity this holiday season. Last week we ran a news story highlighting the fact that a number of developers at a prominent MMORPG development house were going without a paycheck, with no promise of when they could expect their pay in full. Yet these developers go to work each day, continuing to work on one of the most anticipated MMORPG titles of 2009.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Theres nothing really new going on in the games industry. Most of the big layoffs coming from Midway were long expected, EA letting lots go isnt a new thing, the Dallas implosion was also a long time coming.

The only new element is the recession and credit being difficult to gain and investors being more frugal in reaction to the financial climate.

So what's happening is that all this finance stuff is the catalyst for prompting the bigger names to just trim the fat and the smaller companies who were just getting by are exposed and unable to get investors or publishers to risk what they would have before.

A lot of places get by routinely by borrowing and like most people do these days, they over borrow while betting that things will get better down the road. It's pretty clear now ( though I'd argue it was always common sense before!) that borrowing and betting on the future is not a good long term plan and its just caught up with everyone so the games industry like every other industry is just reflecting that currently.
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    Some advise to those who just started work at EA. Expect this every year around this time. EA over hires fluff then trimms fat during October/NOV time. It's during a quarter that is usually less profitable than the rest. So naturally its a good time to re-assure investors and lay off a few hundred to save money.

On A more positive view however, they due tend to keep the talent most of the time.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's also a quarter with gut busting profits, cut overhead just as the cash cow pulls up to the barn. Classic... Any chance they have to revert to old habits under a new disguise is fine by them.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    aesir wrote: »
    The industry isn't collapsing... We're just trimming off the companies that haven't been successful enough to stay around.

That's not what I'm seeing. Electronic Arts whacked 600 jobs in October. Ensemble, owned by Microsoft, got killed the month before. Lucasarts put a bunch of people out of work in the summer. Etc etc.

Mine is an outsider's point of view, but I think this is different from the usual cycle people are referring to. Seeing bloated startups fall apart (Flagship, for example) is pretty normal. Seeing studios with bad management (Midway) fail, that's normal too. But I don't think there's any way to look at Ensemble/MSG and say they weren't successful or that Lucasarts doesn't have cash to pay the bills.

I expect some of the older folks remember ten years ago when Sierra Entertainment shutdown multiple studios in a single day, "Black Monday" and all. Successful studios broken apart because the parent company was in poor shape (one of those closures, PyroTechnix, is the entire reason I don't work in the games industry.) What's going around now seems akin to that, but on a larger scale. The global economy is such that success is no guarantee of job security. I'd expect more cuts at the big conglomerates like EA, Sony and Ubisoft before this is done, simply because their shares are owned by people who are getting killed in other markets.

The video game industry isn't collapsing, but the world market is. And so the games industry is going to take it in the pants far more than usual. It's not the death knell of the industry, but it might be time for someone to figure out a more secure business model. As it is, things seem likely to get worse before they get better, just because the causes extend far above the affected studios and their employees.

As an aside, I have to say I honestly admire the hell out of you guys for being able to pack up and move around the country to follow the work - that stress alone would kill me, to say nothing of the job itself :)
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    credit crunch + bloated project teams..

Seriously 150 people over 3 years and you don't have a fully playable level yet?
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    entertainment industry usually sees a rise in sales and income during times of recession, look at it this way, if you were a parent with a wife and 2 kids, what's cheaper, going out of town for a weekend or going to see a movie?

Vacation or a couple games to keep everyone occupied for a few weeks?

Sure there are layoffs happening, but overall the industry is healthy
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to agree with the 'evolution' part, the recession has screwed up the industry as a whole but the days of tons of money getting thrown at a company to make games will be pulled back, I think it's kind of like the internet bubble back in '99, this industry's bubble just burst this year, too many companies, making too many games, spending too much money on non-contract related stuff. I'm an artist, not a rockstar.

Lots of companies were spending tons of cash flying in people for interviews, putting them up in hotels for a week to see how they fit in, just to get talent in the doors a few years back. Now they can get hundreds upon hundreds of new talent to look through.

The talent pool has gotten full of great applicants making it harder to get in the doors, and the over abundance of choices in the same game markets are causing great games to go unnoticed and unplayed. I don't think it's going to collapse, but I do see a big realignment back to consolidation of resources and hard times ahead for many more game companies as the recession puts more pressure on those companies already strapped for capital.

I think it'll get worse before it gets better. I would love for the game industry to come back like it was a few years ago, but I think those days have sailed and now companies are realizing that they can't throw cash around like they used to, so you'll see less developers around and a much more competitive job field for us. Hopefully that will entail higher paychecks, but realistically it will probably be lower since they'll be able to hire newer recruits for less money.

my confused and nonthought out 2 cents.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *sorry, reposted something that was already here. This article just saddens me. :(
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    sir-knight wrote: »
    Vacation or a couple games to keep everyone occupied for a few weeks?

Vacation
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I just want to clarify that I wasn't referring to any specific individuals. A lot of talented people get released in these situations. It just happens. It isn't the end of the world. There are other companies out there ready to sweep up the talent. I was a part of a layoff at Ritual after Star Trek shipped. I just moved on to my next opportunity which was Ensemble.

- BoBo
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vermilion wrote: »
    That's not what I'm seeing. Electronic Arts whacked 600 jobs in October. Ensemble, owned by Microsoft, got killed the month before. Lucasarts put a bunch of people out of work in the summer. Etc etc.

Mine is an outsider's point of view, but I think this is different from the usual cycle people are referring to. Seeing bloated startups fall apart (Flagship, for example) is pretty normal. Seeing studios with bad management (Midway) fail, that's normal too. But I don't think there's any way to look at Ensemble/MSG and say they weren't successful or that Lucasarts doesn't have cash to pay the bills.

I always felt Ensemble was 'a long time coming'. If I'm not mistaken, it was MS's most expensive studio, and they made RTS games. Seemed only natural.

EA does this almost every year around this time.

Lucas Arts announced they were going to start with external development, i.e. outsourcing.

I personally think that publishers got too big too fast. It's part of that cycle. As you mentioned before, Sierra did this many years back. EA has been doing this for a long time, as have other publishers. It just seems like everything is lining up this year and we're paying more attention because of the economic crisis.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    This sounds horrible to say but there might be some positive coming out of this all.

I see a lot of obsolete dinosaurs comfortably nestled in upper management at many of these companies, and they tend not to lose their jobs over minor recessions due to their nepotistic claws being sunk in pretty deeply.

A major shakeup might be what's needed to get rid of them.

And as Bobo alluded to, the talented passionate and ambitious ones tend to be the ones to land on their feet.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    EA over hires fluff then trimms fat during October/NOV time. It's during a quarter that is usually less profitable than the rest.
    ephesians, november is probably the most profitable month in the games biz and is notoriously so because it marks the beginning of the holiday rush, has american thanksgiving, which also brings black Friday. October isn't that bad at all, either.

some good points made here and there, it's good to see people aren't sugarcoating this.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    When it all comes to worst, find a second career as a backup plan anyways.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    publicly traded company + stock price drop = layoffs
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I always felt Ensemble was 'a long time coming'. If I'm not mistaken, it was MS's most expensive studio, and they made RTS games. Seemed only natural.

EA does this almost every year around this time.

Lucas Arts announced they were going to start with external development, i.e. outsourcing.

I personally think that publishers got too big too fast. It's part of that cycle. As you mentioned before, Sierra did this many years back. EA has been doing this for a long time, as have other publishers. It just seems like everything is lining up this year and we're paying more attention because of the economic crisis.

I'm not saying there aren't reasons for those layoffs I mentioned, just that they weren't related to the studios' lack of success. That's really the thing about the game industry that drives me crazy, that job stability isn't tied to performance.