Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

midia

hi this is a char for a game that I'm starting with a friend will be slow progress lol 2 people but just for fun anyway I'm new to Maya and modeling for a game that can use more then like 500 polys lol ( WC3 Mod'er ) so don't go super harsh on me here this is my first 1k + poly model to a game where you can actual see the model lol any here it is and shoot away. i realize i have to fix those Tris in there but shoulders and head have me confused so some tips and tricks plz
tr.jpg

Replies

• Midna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    might as well show some art off in here too.
    here's a picture of my friend i drew.
    MeganDone.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't need to 'fix' any tris at all. Tris are only a problem when the model will be subdivided later on, so for instance when it's the basemesh you're going to use in mudbox. This is important to remember: Your model will be completely made up of tris ingame.
    That's really all a quad is, anyway: two tris.

About 'tips and tricks' for the head and shoulders: just make them, and we'll tell you where you went wrong. There's never one 'right' way to go about it, plus it always depends on what it'll be used for in the end. For the head it's worth considering whether it'll be animated, how complex said animation will be, whether you'll need the inside of the mouth etc...
    Right now though? I wouldn't worry about that yet, and just make a head with a closed mouth.
    And check out the polycount wiki for tips on topology (the layout of edges on your mesh).
    This page is a good start, for instance: http://wiki.polycount.net/CategoryModeling

Also, I feel I should mention that people generally don't like you adding them to msn when you don't know them. If you want quick advice on something, there's always the Model_Design irc-channel, where a lot of Polycount regulars hang around.
  • Midna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    protector of all life in the universe i give you an ancient concept idea 1
    ancientfwip2.jpgancientf.jpg
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Also, I feel I should mention that people generally don't like you adding them to msn when you don't know them.

Totaly,
    plus, i find it a bit rude to ignore Mightypea when he takes the time to gives you some good information..

edit: oh well, my bad, dont always know whats happening behind the screens. new guys mostly dont have everybody on msn so i missed a respons to mightypea in this thread.
  • Midna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ignore ? i didn't ignore
  • Midna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    may i ask some help on finding where this irc_chat channel is. ><
    and i apologize for adding you guys.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
  • Midna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi, i know i have lots to learn as an artist but people keep saying my drawings show no life"" are there any lessons you can show me because i dont quite get it, like is it just using my values better and form or just drawing a character in action. and is there any lessons on proportions because im always looking for cool ways to measure and get parts the correct size. i like my work to be crit. so i know what im doing wrong but please explain as i am left fealing like not drawing because i suck and not knowing how to fix it.
  • Midna
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can take it into photoshop and play with the contrast, and see if it changes the way it feels.

I think its not about the fact that there is no "action", and there doesnt have to be action, its more about making it look believable. (doesnt mean it has to be photorealistic, lots of styles to choose from)

This all has to do with the use of lines, the rendering, the proportions ect.

It might also be an idea to make a folder and save drawings to it that are in the style your looking for, and study them a bit

You can also have a look at these, this guy has some pretty cool mini tutorials

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euvIWdStTs8[/ame]
  • NanaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow those mini video tutorials are great.
  • Midna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, thanks. Ill try a draw one this week here is one of my more recent ones couple weeks ago having some face issues lol.
    mas.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Mightypea, consider me an admirer.

As for your model, i think the knee joint needs most attention. for the time being even just tilting the loops back a bit would make it look much nicer.