Home General Discussion

One Mouse to rule them all

Saidin311
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
Ok. So I'm now frustrated with my mouse. The middle button/wheel is starting to act up and I'm now in the market for a new one.

My question is, what kinds of mice do you all use?

Should I just keep buying budget mice, wear them down, throw them out and then get another?

Or is it worth getting some sort of pimped up 'Super Mouse'. I have pretty big hands and I'm generally not a fan of wireless or battery operated mice. I understand the feel of a mouse can be personal, but is it worth getting one with a lot of features?

So what do you all suggest?

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    we were talking the other day about this at lunch I think there is a huge market for bear claw mice, mice that are big enough to where your hand doesn't have to fold to hold onto.. Logitech had a few nice big mice back in the day with some good features, I don't like wireless myself either don't want to have to rely on a battery when I'm in the middle of a game :D
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i like my mx1000, when it works, it's great, but after a year or so they go screwy. the wheel button doesn't work, but that's mapped to the far more suitable app switch button now, which sits under my thumb, and the left button has a habit of double clicking.
  • Spinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    i use the logitech mx310, it's got everything i need and has held up for 4+years. bought a backup in case it gets discontinued :D it is a bit smaller than the mx510 or mx1000 so it might not be for everyone but my hands are not tiny or anything.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    logitech mx518 if you want a corded mouse, its fucking great.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    logitech mx510 or mx518 for corded or the mouse i use at work and love like my own son Logitech Revolution MX
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    If you like a trackball: http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=10426173-9aba-45eb-b7ce-af9ef9724d3d&type=ovr

I've used this one for years, has 4 programmable buttons, trackball keeps me from having as much wrist pain.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    If you're right-handed, Razer Death Adder.
    I used to get hand and wrist cramps/pain after especially long and busy work days, but ever since I switched to this mouse they went away. The material it's made out of is nice and grippy as is the scroll wheel and it has a nice large natural curve to it. I also know a few people with large hands that love it. I think I got it for 40$ on sale at Best Buy and I refuse to use any other mouse for work or gaming now.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I use A4 TECH X5-005D, it's cheap and nice :) The double click button feels comfortable once you get used to.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Logitech MX510 or 518, either one is money.

I have mine hotkeyed up with Ring/Loop/Connect on the 3 extra buttons up top and Backspace/Delete on the side. Plus a bunch of other stuff. About half of my modeling hotkeys are on the mouse.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I own and love an mx518 by Logitech. I also have the more expensive G5 (the one with the weight cartridge, and three different resolutions of precision for its laser), but that one has a very rigid middle-mousebutton, making it very hard to use for 3d applications.

I feel I should also say that --unless you're looking to actually use it to control your pc from afar--, if you're in the market for a new mouse, I feel corded mice are much better than cordless. If you feel all the added shit that comes with cordless peripherals to be worth it, fine, but it really is just a lot of hassle. batteries, docking, buying new batteries because rechargeable batteries still die pretty quickly from regular use...
    ugh.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    At work, I use a Wacom Intuos 3 9x12 (no mouse).
    At home, Logitech G9.

-caseyjones
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're right-handed, Razer Death Adder.
    I used to get hand and wrist cramps/pain after especially long and busy work days, but ever since I switched to this mouse they went away. The material it's made out of is nice and grippy as is the scroll wheel and it has a nice large natural curve to it. I also know a few people with large hands that love it. I think I got it for 40$ on sale at Best Buy and I refuse to use any other mouse for work or gaming now.

Yeah for me the mx 518 really helped a lot with wrist pain, i was using one of those cheap ass generic logietch mice and getting a lot of wrist pain with it. I really think comfort is the most important aspect to a mouse, and the mx 518 fits my hand perfectly.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I hate logitech mice... for some reason. Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 was the tits back in the day, I'm now using the IE 3.0 MKII right now, which isn't as solidly built as the original but still is pretty good.

To be honest though, the reason I like it more than Logitech mice is because it's one of the biggest mice out there and I've got gorilla hands.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I miss my Logitech G9 i had at Gearbox. :( I'm using a basic LX3 at home.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    I loved my Intelli mice when they made them for right handed people, then the lefties screwed everything up for us and my hand has been twisted and deformed ever since.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I third the mx510, great tool, been using it for a couple years now and no real signs of any wear. It's a relatively big mouse, especially for me since I have quite small hands.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Got this logitech MX 518 awhile ago and very pleased. The extra two buttons are easily accessible by the thumb and you can change the mouse sensitivity with buttons infront of and behind the mousewheel. Certainly worth paying a bit more for one than a generic budget mouse.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    I miss my Logitech G9 i had at Gearbox. :( I'm using a basic LX3 at home.

what?! you LIKED G9? crazy :/

I wouldnt recommend a logitech G9, the middle mouse button is really hard to push and isnt comfortable, you'll end up breaking your fingers :p plus its quite a small mouse, which is nice if you are a fingertip gripper but not so nice if you have big hands and use palm grip.

I replaced my G9 for a G5 instead, and I prefer it much more. Its kinda like the MX518 with the buttons in similar places and the size/shape pretty much the same. Either one is good i'd say.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The Evoluent vertical mouse is great for reducing wrist strain. The build quality doesn't seem to be particularly amazing - the right mouse button got sticky after a bout a year of fairly heavy use, but I really miss using it now.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Logitech mx518 all the way.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    518 here too... though mostly because I used my last mx 1000 cordless to death after I moved out to cali. It has all the buttons I want and no stupid ass side/tilt clicking on the middle/wheel button. Man that annoys me on modern mice. Totally fucks with my workflow not to mention the feel of the mouse in apps that use it heavily. I could do without the cord and go for a charge station with this mouse instead but otherwise it is the shit.
  • Slum
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    been using an mx510 for about 6 years now I think, still works flawlessly. the logo is almost completely rubbed off but eh who cares.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    A lot of mice are made specifically for right handers. We lefties are always handicapped because we're naturally superior :D

I use a MS Laser Mouse 6000
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a G9 because i won it at GDC. Its true though, the middle mouse button is really tough. I thought about selling it when i first got it because of the wheel button but after a few days i got used to it. The only reason i don't recommend it is because of the price. i was doing just fine with my 25$ mouse back in the day.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you guys saying the G9 has a tougher MMB than the G5? Honestly, I couldn't even use the G5 because of that, so I'd find that hard to believe! All the more reason to stay clear of the G-series for now, especially since their mmb side-tilting doesn't exactly make it any easier to use either. Neat idea, shit execution.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Logitech MX518, since i got it the first time, it has been the one and only mouse i use. its brilliant, top notch build quality, ergonomics and performance! dont leave home without one!
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Logitech seems to have stopped making good mice past the MX510.

I tried the MX518 but the little Button between the Wheel and the Cord that i always bind to Mouse3 didn't register properly, even after sending it in and getting a replacement.

And on Mice past the MX518 they dropped that button completely ( tiny product-designer hands ? ).

Still hoping for some big Mouse Manufacturer to wake up and do a real 3rd Mouse-Button again, it doesn't even have to be as big as in the old days.
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    I'm using a Razor Copperhead, since my normal optical logitech mouse started to hate the left mouse button.

I really like it :D, it's super precise and works on nearly any surface.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    logitech mx518 if you want a corded mouse, its fucking great.

I have one, and it sucks. The wheel gets shot, the mouse sensitivity can't be perfectly adjusted with the tools (and it goes completely awry when a game crashes), and the size is a bit too small. Not a very comfortable mouse for a hyped-to-death $50 item.

IT ALSO COMES DENTED!!! WTF
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    1 more vote for the 518. I have one at work and one at home, and they're great!

edit:
    leilei wrote: »
    I have one, and it sucks. The wheel gets shot, the mouse sensitivity can't be perfectly adjusted with the tools (and it goes completely awry when a game crashes), and the size is a bit too small. Not a very comfortable mouse for a hyped-to-death $50 item.

IT ALSO COMES DENTED!!! WTF

Never had any of those issues. And they're not dents, they're speed holes!
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I love the Mx510, i guess you can test drive different models and see which one you like best.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    I <3 my mx518. Wasn`t too fond of the dented look at first but it`s ok, most of the time its covered with my hand :)
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    To all you MX518'ers : Did anyone of you bind Mouse3 or another Button to the "Sensitivity +" Button ? And if so, does it work properly or is it flakey ?
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Mine works flawlessly. Just use the right version of SetPoint software, and if necessary, UberOptions.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    It works fine with the +/- button, didnt try to bind it to other buttons though
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    rebb wrote: »
    To all you MX518'ers : Did anyone of you bind Mouse3 or another Button to the "Sensitivity +" Button ? And if so, does it work properly or is it flakey ?

Why even touch that? I rather rebind that useless task switching button
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leilei is an angry internet man
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    I've been using the microsoft intellmouse optical for, pretty much as long as I have optical mice really. I'm pretty surprised Logitec apparantly is so popular, I really hate those mice, particularly that mx518.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    MX518 here, as well. Beautiful mouse. The mouse wheel can get a bit iffy at times, where the physical steps don't add up with the signals the computer gets. So sometimes merely touching the wheel might end up as a scroll. But it's fairly rare that I get bothered by it, and it's much more uncommon with this than the mouse I use at work. I can't remember the name of that model, it's like a pimped MX158 with side-scrolly wheel and a weight cartridge on the bottom. That thing's wheel is just horrible, and impossible to middle-click with. And it also has one less thumb button! What's up with that??

Anyway, I love the MX158, despite a few flaws like the occationally iffy wheel, and the sensitivity issue someone else mentioned where a game hitching up or crashing can sometimes mess up the sensitivity. But that's easily fixed, usually by just nudging the + and - buttons on the mouse itself.

Speaking of Razer, a friend of mine recently bought one of their mice. I can't remember the name, or even how it looked, really. I think it had a blue shine, and had gotten stellar reviews. I couldn't use his damn computer after that. I don't know how you're supposed to use a mouse like that, but if I as much looked at the buttons, it decided I wanted to click. I don't get why I haven't read about that anywhere else because that completely ruined it for me. I couldn't even rest my fingertips on the damn thing without clicking all over the place by accident! Are they supposed to be like that??
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Seems like the majority are hating on the G9. I actually love my G9, because I don't palm the entire mouse, I just use my fingers. So the size works really well for me, plus I like the on the fly sensitivity switching (I know other mice models do this too, but whatever, jerk!).

-caseyjones
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm rocking an oldschool Logitech MX500 at home and a cheap, low-end microsoft mouse at work (no side buttons, which sucks).

I've always liked the logitech MX range, they have a great shape whether you're palm gripping or fingertippin'...yo... :S

Personally I've never liked the idea of cordless mice/keyboards, battery charging = ass.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I can't stand the feel of Microsoft Mice's wheel. It's too squishy. I like the crisp pop of the Logitech wheel.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey thanks all for the input. The price of the 518 fits well with my wallet. Picked it up today and it's been perfect so far! Much better than my previous budget mouse.

I also can't stand cordless mice. Too much hassle to have to worry about docking/batteries for me to ever justify getting one.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I feel cool now because I've been using the MX518 for a long time as well. My mouse3 is bound to the rear thumb-side button, never fucks up unless Logitech Setpoint decides to die. MMB set to alt, other keys on mouse to shit like ctrl and some F-keys, always works fine. The wheel button was just too hard for me to push with ease, am used to side button now.

It did take a fall to hardwood floor recently so the LMB has been acting screwy, but it's pretty old by now, and the button inside looks like just your generic three-pronged button you can scrap off any old input device and solder in as a replacement. If you do have to open it up, mind that the screws are hidden beneath the lighter grey, printed insets on the bottom; two up by the cord, one deep center in the back. But actually, it fell again tonight (damn couch cushions) and seems to be working perfectly again.

Edit: If you do open it up and a random spring flies out, the thing goes on the right side of the scroll wheel; took me a couple minutes to figure that out. Heh heh.
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.

Nothing beats the feel of this classic. I've been using the same one for years, and I also have 2 backups. The middle mouse button is super comfy to press, it has scroll detents, and none of that side to side silliness. And the left/right buttons aren't as loud as anything Logitech offers, it has just the right amount of "clickiness".
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I use an old MX510 which has worked like a charm, but the buttons are now feeling a bit.. flappy? Hard to describe, but they've lost a bit of their.. vigour? It might be a tad big for my hands, but that's just marginally..
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Leilei is an angry internet man
    Takes one to know one, Pea :poly127: Rarrr!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    MX510. I have the same at work and at home, it's the most comfortable mouse I've ever tried, I tend to hate the feel of the scroll wheel on most other mice, especially Microsoft rodents.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    MoP, is your scroll wheel really loud when you scroll forward/upward? When I scroll downwards it makes a low purring noise, but upwards it's more of a loud "BAPBAPBAPBAP" noise.