Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

All Hallows' Eve

Hi guys, we're creating a 3rd person action adventure game in a slightly cartoony - dark Halloween setting, if I have to describe the mood :)
I'd like to post our stuff here to request feedback. I'm pretty new to the new polycount, so this is one of my first posts. (I remember polycount when I downloaded quake 3 arena skins though, big improvement tbh :p )

Replies

• Deathead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sounds good though we have nothing to look at nor to comment on.
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I was just registered so they had to pass my topic. We use the Leadwerks 2.0 engine.

Some little wip environments, concepts, everything done by myself so far. I know some flaws since it's wip but please, I need comments! :)

cave.JPG

forest.JPG

Our cute main character modelsheet (I'm not a real concept artist but meh somebody has to do it)
    eveconcept.jpg

One of our enemys (I wanted to give him legs but the team wanted him to hover)
    soldierconcept.jpg

EDIT, I'll rescale my images later, sorry if you don't have giant resolutions :(

My good man Pand0r will probably post his character wips in our thread. And the coders could post code but that would be VERY boring right ;)
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    This reminds me of American mcgee's Alice which was a cool game. Are you still using that rusty ol source engine? ;) Im curios, are you working with anyone from the tf2 community?

Scott Petty
    Environment Artist
    www.Buddikaman.com
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea Alice inspired us too, but our game won't be that freaky, because Alice was just..weird, but still great.
    We're using Leadwerks 2.0, pretty impressive indy game engine, have a look at their site: http://www.leadwerks.com/ so yeah, no old .bsp anymore for me!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Snipergen (same Snipergen from TF2maps.net?)

Looks pretty cool, nice screens. Little bit of tex stretch in there but you did say you knew there were some issues, I imagine that's what you mean.

The concept art is great IMO, if you don't consider yourself a concept artist maybe you should. I'd love to have stuff like that to work from.

The pumpkin guy floating would be cool but add some cloth or something that hangs (and flaps) to make it appear like he used to have legs or something.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I really dig the work so far man, looks really promising. how are you liking leadwerks in terms of user friendlyness, i took a gander at their site and it seems pretty neat. cant wait to see more work.
  • pand0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Hey Snipergen (same Snipergen from TF2maps.net?)
    Yup, that's him! :)
    Baddcog wrote: »
    The concept art is great IMO, if you don't consider yourself a concept artist maybe you should. I'd love to have stuff like that to work from.

I'm the character artist and I love working with those modelsheets :)

Anyway, here's a render of Eve, the main character.

Eve___wip_grey_by_pand0r.jpg
  • Oleg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oleg polycounter lvl 14
    Ha that looks nice , but why only 10 fps ?
  • Punk13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude your stuff is amazing! Is that all custom work? like the models and all?
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Man those ingame screenies are tubulosum!

I would REALLY love to take a stab at these model sheets,These are my kind of concepts (models sheets with characters with personality generally).
    Do you have a spot open for little ol me? :P
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I WISH I could let you make a model for the game, but this is a school project and we're not allowed to use content from other persons. We took a look at your stuff and you have some great work butt!

Ok something else, sorry that I don't update the thread but I prefer a nice screenshot than a dump of models. The stone in these screenshots are placeholders and are made by aphexx (TY!)

Tell us what you think, and player models and enemies are on the way. (So again, this screen is my work)
    (Imagine particle systems and cool 3D skybox for later hehe)
    So this is a path where you get attacked by wolves when you exit the cave.

forest2.jpg
  • byder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Snipergen,

The screenshots are really beginning to take shape!

@pand0r - Eve is really looking nice, the subtle details on the knees are great :)

~C
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I'm trying to get a waterfall working and other water elements. I always want water in my maps, it adds so much to the scene :)
    I think Spoiboy is finishing up his wolf character so we will need some feedback on that too. Thx for the comments so far guys!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    very nice- one crit the shape of the leaves on the ground have norelation to the trees, and dosnt look like grass if that what you were aiming for.

also in some of your earlier shots you have some bad texel resoloution issues
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    another question, any reason for the lighting on the ground in the cave? It looks odd to see those type of lights at foot level.. Just a design choice?
  • Oleg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oleg polycounter lvl 14
    Looks cool , remind me of WoW.. Keep it up good work.
  • pand0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update of the character. C&C welcome!

Eve___wip02_by_pand0r.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    screenshots all look cool - especially that last autumnal one. But that garish bright red font you're using for a logo is destroying any chance of this looking professional. Seriously.

pand0r - looking good! i think the knees are a little too pointy towards the bottom. less \/ and more U. what's that around her wrist? bracelet, watch, or manacle? looks a bit too girthy.