Home General Discussion

Videogames and Pirating

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    Proving my point that you guys by and large don't know the difference between sarcasm and irony.

And I just realized Zeph's wrote his rant because he thought I was being sarcastic, which I wasn't. Which again proves my point... just stop dabbling in these things, guys. Look, you don't know the difference between irony and sarcasm, and I can't grill a decent steak. It all balances out.

Oh the irony... or is that sarcasm... I r confuss-ed...
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I was discussing comedy/humour with an American...

He asked me if the English understood the concept of irony.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    In my experience its best not to get involved in this kinda debate. Americans have rules, everyone else has rules but americans came from everywhere else. Is that irony?

Who seriously cares :P
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    SupRore wrote: »
    Perna: Zephir is apparently an idiot, don't worry yourself too much over his posts. Think of him like ViPr and don't try to figure out what he means.

No one understands me anymore :'(
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    I'm going to marry spanish now, I didn't know you people cleaned up messes so well
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Zephir62 wrote: »

Yeah, some companies lose a little money from pirated software. Others earn a KILLING from it. Imagine how popular 3D modeling would be today if pirating didn't exist... Oh, I'm just messing with you. I'm sure you and all your friends had a legitimate copy of 3DS Max dropped into your hands for free when you all were in your teenage years.

Lets say you have a pirated copy of Max while you are going to school or learning the trade. You get good at it, get into the industry, and then studio has to buy you a license to use it in house. Companies like Autodesk are well aware of this. They know that if a company hires artists they will have to buy X number of licenses from them and get their money, and really aren't worried about it. It's a bit different from games or music. And I kid you not, I heard all of this directly from an Alias employee years ago at Siggraph. The more people using their software the better. Course, they won't say that publicly.

For me personally, with enough websites reviewing games these days I don't have a problem searching around reading various reviews about a game I'm not sure about. I have a subscription to Game Informer mainly for that purpose. And if I'm still on the fence, I'll just wait for the price to go down.
  • Joao Sapiro
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    perna wrote: »
    Irony is how 8ftSpider took a jab at me but had the tables turned by getting it all mixed up.

And I either get the grill going way too strong so it burns all night or it fizzles out and doesn't give me sufficient heat. I'm good with a wok though.

Only because I love ya.

I actually thought it was ironic, though, that they've decided not to release Gears2 on the PC because of piracy, but the first thing I hear about the 360 version on Polycount is it getting pirated. Maybe it's not ironic and just fucked up.

Are you using charcoal or propane? You gotta use the lump charcoal and get a charcoal starter - don't use lighter fluid.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Any attempt to use "sarcasm" in a written context is a waste of time. Sarcasm is an attempt to be facetious in an obvious fashion, through the spoken word. Sarcasm doesn't actually have a written equivalent, it relies entirely on the vocal tone and cadence with which it is delivered. Irony is not the same as sarcasm.

Essentially, anyone who attempts to employ sarcasm on a message board is a moron.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    were you just being sarcastic richard?
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    This thread is still completely on topic. (<---sarcasm)
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I guess he never read literature, there is no sarcasm or irony there. None what so ever. But what do I know I never post here.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    Any attempt to use "sarcasm" in a written context is a waste of time. Sarcasm is an attempt to be facetious in an obvious fashion, through the spoken word. Sarcasm doesn't actually have a written equivalent, it relies entirely on the vocal tone and cadence with which it is delivered. Irony is not the same as sarcasm.

Essentially, anyone who attempts to employ sarcasm on a message board is a moron.

i'd say this would be irony, since you've surely used sarcasm on a message board, and most likely will use it again.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno. All i can say is to remind your gainfully employed friends that they have money now and should buy games. Especially if they are in the games industry. I think some people who are poor and in college just scrapping by on top ramen (while roomates use daddys credit card) get into a habit of buy 1 download 3 or whatever ratio they may have. And then they continue that habit in the future. So i just try to remind people - you have money now! your almost 30!

Same can be said about music or anything else. Just try to support it in some way.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Also. a friend of mine said he got Gears 2 from 7/11 before the street date. I later found out that he had pre-ordered the limited edition already! Yes, that means he bought 2 copies.

So i'm not going to slam everything and everybody :). I'm sure he's not the only one who did that.