Home General Discussion

Dead Space

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
DS_TT_logo%2021_blk%20copy.jpg
This was sooo under my radar of games coming out this season, luckily I put in a
couple of hours with it over at a buddies house after work yesterday.

What a game!

Speaking purely on the visuals here, this game is a beauty. From the mix of baked
& dynamic lighting down to the UI/HUD representation, I think EA nailed it well.

I checked a bit online and I looks as though they used Unreal 3 for this, but it's
hard to tell. Can anyone confirm this?

I'd like to spend more time with it before going in to specifics about the visuals in
the game.

If you've played it and have thoughts on the artwork in the game, lets hear it. I'd
like to get some proper discussions on actual video game art in titles coming out
rather than if they're fun or not.

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Been excited about this one for a loooong time. Love the UI/HUD.

Picking it up after work today!
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Gonna plow through this bad boy this weekend... been too distracted with Saint's Row 2
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I've been watching my roommate play it at night while I paint in the background. It's not as atmospheric as I thought it would be, but still a very well made game. The lighting is awesome, and their "gothic scifi" art style works really well and compliments the horror/suspense elements perfectly.

It would probably be more immersive if I was actually the one playing it... they definitely "go there" when you're not sure if they will or not (I wont spoil anything, you'll see what I mean). Huge congrats to the team that made it, definitely worth checking out. I expect to see their UI setup copied soon too, the in-game HUD interface is brilliant.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    "EA executive producer Glen Schofield says that Cliff Bleszinski told him Dead Space "looks great" on the Unreal Engine. One problem, the game uses EA's own graphical engine."

I read somewhere that it's an upgraded version of the game engine used in the Godfather game and EA is looking to license it.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    going to get it today
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah. I saved my pennies and picked this up, but my 360 croaked within hours of getting home. So...Im gonna return it for now and use the $$$ back to have my Xbox repaired...

It was fun, and looked pretty good! I was a little surprised at how much of the normal mapping is obviously nvidia filter/crazy bump. It looks like little/no high poly modeling took place on a most objects.

Cant wait to get my system back, and finish that game.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Been playing this for a few days now. Very good game so far.
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks good and gorey, whoever did all the blood did a good job. The mood lighting and constant flickering lights really starts FUCKING WITH YOUR HEAD. The UI is really cool, I realized quickly the game does NOT PAUSE when you goto the menu.

Im having fun with it and there are ALOT of "WTF WAS THAT" moments. So far the levels have a bunch of scripted events like canisters rolling into hallways and monsters crawling up windows while you are reading some mission text.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    loving it so far.
    that opening scene made me wanna go re-watch event horizon
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I just used up all of my wife's points, and now I'll have to pay actual money for my copy. There goes $20. :(
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    i'm lovin it. some of the main character textures bug me a bit, but overall I think the game looks great. Great use of sound/gameplay to creep you the fuck out.
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been playing it, and really love the game's execution. Two play sessions in, and both times, I've stopped after about two hours feeling drained of energy. I've never felt exhausted from playing a game. :(
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Not really digging the character design, have yet to play the actual game though. :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Alright! Some discussion:

oobersli
    - What is it about the characters textures that bother you? I noticed they get really blurry when the camera is super close to them, like when accessing the menu, but otherwise I think they portrayed the materials decently. I never thought these words would have meaning, but his pants are done really well.

LEViATHAN - the main character or the people overall? The other people, besides the main dude, seem fairly generic. I suppose thats fine for the type of story this is as adding some whiz-bang'ery to them wouldn't exactly help immerse me in the game. As for the main dude, his design looks like a more human, more mobile, Big Daddy. That comparison is obviously coming from his helmet design, but its also the fact most of his metals are rendered with a brown tinge to them, almost like oxidize brass.

There was one party I particularily remember where you're in this sort of lobby of the ship. huge glass planes looking out in to space. I remember the floor design being pretty layered and interesting looking. Overall it was a flat surface, but the added layers that could be seen through glass panels was pretty cool.
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    the game is super great man....there is so much detail everywhere.

i have read(grain of salt) that the engine used for dead space was done in-house and they are thinking about liscensing it. the cliffy b statement was an accidental goof.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    i haven't got too much time to play games nowadays, but i must recognize i like some things of this game. The design of the character is something i don't like. Being in the space, a better and futuristic suit would have been better.

Watched the videos of the gameplay, this is a game i won't play, i'm bored of mutated humans and "90% black" games.

Doom3 meets resident evil + The Thing.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    @adam - i think for me it just seems like the metal bits on the char seem like a tiled metal texture rather than having normals and what not. Like they're letting the geometry put more detail into it than the actual texture. I'm probably wrong. It just doesn't seem like anything on the characters texture POPS out much. as for the design though, I'm diggin it.

I'm lovin the env art. I wish the game could use the screen grab thing I heard the ps3 has available for games. I'd have a lot of images to add to my inspiration folder.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Well... me and the roomies made a trip down to EB and picked this game up, and I have to say, the sound designers get HUGE props from me, I'm completely immersed in this game... mostly due to the sound, great work.

The lighting is really nice as well, combined with some cool alien silhouettes = bad ass moments.
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    Adam,

I believe they are using Deferred lighting.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam,

I believe they are using Deferred lighting.

How is that relevant to anything?

Anyway... I read the preview in Game Informer a year ago, it was the most paid-for preview I've ever read. I thought this game was going to be a total turd. But everyone says it is awesome, that has come as a great surprise.
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    Rob Galanakis,

Adam said this
    adamBrome wrote: »
    HUD representation, I think EA nailed it well.

I hope that clears up the confusion. :)
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    Ive only now just watched the trailer you linked, man the music is really good, the trailer gave me the same feeling as that movie Sunshine, same color concepts pretty much too.

Looks good.
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    I sort of didn't have a high expectations for Dead Space too at first, it seemed to be just another Zombie Shooter ( ugh ). But after watching their Prelude Video Comics and seeing more footage as well as the good reviews now, i'm definetly going to pick it up.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I love this game.

The opening cinematic is a little painful - really not impressed with their hair.

The line slicer makes you feel like a fucking badass. I downloaded the XBOX Elite suit -it's free for the first week or so- and I hope I'm not ruining my experience by twinking my character with it. I still die gruesomely, so I guess not.

Creepy ass game. Must be played in pitch black with the volume cranked!
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope that clears up the confusion. :)

That wasn't my point. The fact Dead Space uses Deferred Lighting, in and of itself, doesn't mean anything.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    I think the audio creeps me out more than the monsters.

I like how tight the FOV angle is. It's very claustrophobic.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i watched a buddy play it last night, it's good times. nice art.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    picked this up a couple days ago. like other have said the audio is fantastic. The game itself isnt as scary as i would have hoped for but it is pretty badass none the less. I reallly like how the spec on the environment is subtle enough to be beliveable, now in your face I AM METAL LOOK AT ME GLEAM like most games.

originally i didnt like the character design but im loving it now, cool details on your suit and the lack of a traditional hud is great. This game actually made me say wow for a lens flare thats pretty awesome, the lighting and camera effects are fantastic.

the only thing that im kinda meh on is issac himself as a character, no real personality as of yet, im only at the 4th chapter.

i would say if you are slightly curious about this game snag it and enjoy :D
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    gamewise:

my roomate lent it to me and i hit about chapter 7ish in two midnight ---> whenever game sessions. game wise i find it to be a "bioshock light" type of game. the weapons are more direct, and there's no redundant magic type abilities.

the problem i have is that there's redundancy in the guns, i tweaked out the plasma cutter (first weapon) to the nines and it tears everything in the game apart, i have literally next to no use for the other bits in the arsenal.

bottom line this is popcorn shock horror, not ambient terror. and there's nothing wrong with that at all. a really tight game and its super great that it fights you every step of the way with the constant " don't go for the head!" mentality. a lot of fun for sure.

just don't go thinking this game will totally freak you out while it rapes your morality or something leaving you as a quivering puddle of gamer after the opening sequence.

artwise:

i think the coolest thing about the art is the subject matter. there is some freaking cool shit you get to see throughout the game. a good example is a gravity well you end up running into, its scale combined with the effects is really quite breathtaking.

whoever pushed the gore and flesh textures and materials of the game really sold me that's for sure. everything from the twisting tendrils from an open wound, to the piles of flesh that slide away sickeningly as you stomp your way to the next room.

i find the ships doors and lifts and stuff seem really functional and practical in their architecture. its really great to see it become a haven for horrific abominations while heavy industrial groans pepper the background churning relentlessly to accent the overall feel.

bottom line, i love horror and space so this game happily marries the two in something that you don't need a major in philosophy and psychiatrist to help you out in understanding.

the game is shallow but its an awesome puddle to cool your feet in for a while.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    JT, well said.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    jouste wrote: »
    whoever pushed the gore and flesh textures and materials of the game really sold me that's for sure. everything from the twisting tendrils from an open wound, to the piles of flesh that slide away sickeningly as you stomp your way to the next room.

Seems they studied car crash victims and war scenes for the gore.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/dead-space-team-studied-car-crash-victims
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    yeah! looks great, i pre-ordered it today. now i just have to wait for my 360...
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    why is nobody mentioning that they totally screwed up on the gloss on the flesh? i blame Doom3 for lowering expectations because it had the same flaw.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    This game is awesome, I didn't pay any attention to it and just picked it up when it came out and I'm glad, it's not often I get surprised by a game with the way marketing and stuff works now.

The monsters are great, parts of their design reminds me a lot of John Carpenter's The Thing with their spindly red meaty bits flapping about. I love shooting body parts off and love how they adapt.

The game isn't scary at all though, and it's not really a knock against it because I don't know if it's possible to make a game genuinely scary. There are surprise moments when something pops out but that isn't -scary-. I'm only at chapter 5 or so and so far I don't really care about the girl I'm there to find, I wish my character had some dialog. I think the real back story is finally starting to show up so hopefully the game's story will make itself more known, rather than me trying to just fix everything on this ship.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Keg wrote: »
    Seems they studied car crash victims and war scenes for the gore.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/dead-space-team-studied-car-crash-victims

I think it's pretty funny that I've seen this on numerous news sites. When making anything gory you're usually digging through tons of sick shit through google image searches to inspire and give decent ideas. It's really not that far fetched or overwhelming that they looked at a few car crash victims for just that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PC-DVD, I'm sold. I always thought Event Horizon would make an awesome game.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, it's a custom engine, originally used for Godfather, and it's a fully deferred rendering model. It's being used for Godfather 2 as well.

It's a sweet game, I've only been playing it for a bit, I think I just started chap 3. Looks like a winner to me! Sort of a Bioshock/System Shock mixed with Condemmed (for the gore & scare factors). I haven't been really "scared" yet, but I have been shocked by shit jumping up. The music/FX are done really well, so playing late at night is pretty creepy.

I also loved the sound when you are in vaccuum - you can't hear anything except the sounds transmitted through your feet from the ground. Nice!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Kovac wrote: »
    I think it's pretty funny that I've seen this on numerous news sites. When making anything gory you're usually digging through tons of sick shit through google image searches to inspire and give decent ideas. It's really not that far fetched or overwhelming that they looked at a few car crash victims for just that.

it's probably just some producer->journo direct feed that made for these "headlines". on one title according to the media we apparently had a whole team of clothing designers for the characters when in reality that department was more like one concept guy + the producer's imagination. ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Alright! Some discussion:

oobersli
    - What is it about the characters textures that bother you? I noticed they get really blurry when the camera is super close to them, like when accessing the menu, but otherwise I think they portrayed the materials decently. I never thought these words would have meaning, but his pants are done really well.
    Based on the videos they have on their site (have yet to play it), i'd say the normal map shadows suffer from harsh black tones, much like Doom3 did. It always bugs me when a tiny crack or crease is 100% pure black, especially skin. I thought we had all learned our lessons when normal maps first rolled out?

I'm a little tossed up on the animation some of it is obviously Mo-capped while others are not. I have nothing against mo-cap but time needs to be spent blending hand/finger animations into the mo-cap. The hand animations need to be ratcheted up a few notches so they both reach a middle ground.
    I see the hand key'ed stuff lacking a surprising amount of weight and secondary motion. Of course this is what I see in their trailer footage, I'll have a more informed opinion when I play it. I'm a little excited to get to this one, looks like fun =)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i picked up the game over the weekend, i'm playing it on hard (house rules) and it's been pretty tough at times, but i'm really enjoying it! big kudos to the team, this is my kind of video game.
    metroid + quake + resident evil + gears = dead space
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I think its a fantastic game and the sheer amount of discipline displayed by the environment team is a staggering accomplishment. Clearly they are using crazybump and the nvidia filter to generate their normals but they worked the hell out of that workflow and came up with gold.

I love the restraint shown in the forms, the forms follow function on the environment side and
    they religiously followed the art direction of Event Horizon and really sold that atmosphere.

Really, it is a thing of breathtaking beauty thanks to their discipline of form and saturation and
    constant use of dynamic shadows and stark sterile lighting, a real joy to wander in.

I'm enjoying the gameplay too, it is shock horror, lots of frights and lights turning off for a
    second while we hear monsters creeping around and the scripting and text exposition is
    pretty convincing and works more because love for a woman is at the center of it.

Dario Argento once said that cinema has been built on the premise of putting women in
    peril, it works because women emote better and we sympathize with them more than
    with men. So having the female hook works for it better than most games that take the horror
    route.

I think they got carried away with the flies buzzing around corpses... in space... heh, what did
    they import flies when they went on their mission ? :)

But who care about that right?

Anyway, I'm loving it.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I love the monkey screams in the hydroponics lab. In space. Why the hell not?
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    I also approve.
    monkey2.jpg
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    I had pretty low hopes for this game, but a number of people at work convinced me it was worth buying. I'm only at the end of the second chapter but so far I'm pretty disappointed. Everyone talked about how scary the game is but it's not scary, it's just semi-stressful. All of the grates/vents/fans that the monsters come out of that stick out drive me nuts. It looks like when an older cartoon had bits of the "background" that you could tell would be animating because they weren't quite the right color and texture as the rest of the background.

The gameplay revolves entirely around the fact that anywhere at any time monsters could spring out behind you. No pause to use the inventory, no safe zones... its not scary, it's just it's just overly stressful due to a lack of pacing. You nervously anticipate combat more than you actually experience it, and it's not because combat is crazy and intense, but because you're under equipped and slow to react (love that grandma style turn speed).

It doesn't help that everything "scary" and "shocking" that I've experienced so far in the game has already happend in System Shock, Doom 3, and Resident Evil either. It's actually really frustrating how blatantly they copied System Shock 2 and Event Horizon too, to the point of a few scripted events bringing some serious dejavu...

I dont really get why the hud is supposed to be so inventive, they just took it out of floating planes and glued it to the player's back. They're both still literal bars of health and freeze power...If they had been some kind of logical functional display of the suit that seemed realistic it would be different, but the dude could never see those himself so it's just a HUD affixed to a model...

I'm not really impressed by the environments either. From the concepts in the art book I expected them to be really awesome (since the concepts absolutely were) but their textures/materials REALLY fall flat. The entire game seems like a cool idea executed with somewhat blah artists though. The characters and monsters artwork are horrendous...Like someone else said the intro cutscene was just painful to watch and I cant help thinking "failed version of The Thing" when I see the main zombie type guys...

The audio is pretty decent...though a lot of the "spooky ambient sounds" loop way too often...

Now that I sound like a bitter asshole I will say that I'm still playing it optimistically waiting for improvement...Not gonna hold my breath though. I'm probably being hugely over critical because of all the hype and the fact that this is easily one of my top two game settings ever, so take it as you will.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty sure most of the environments (in or close to their entirety) were outsourced, IIRC to China. Need to double check...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm pretty sure Sandbag didn't play the game I played judging by his comments on the environment work. Yeesh.

Ah well.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    adam: hahah, I actually clicked Sandbag's profile to see what game company he worked at
    because my first thought was 'wow, if he thinks Dead Space sucks , his stuff must be amazing!'.

The thing about hating on other developers so strongly, in a public forum. is that it always
    comes back to bite you on the ass later.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    Do you honestly think the art in dead space is that good? The textures are horribly flat, there is zero specularity (outside of the free PS3 suit which looks like it's made of wet latex), and almost no object looks like it has anything but flatten mapping applied to it. The game does have excellent art direction, I simply feel like the textures and modeling somewhat failed the direction and conceptual work that is holding the visuals together.

I'm sorry my artwork isn't of a high enough caliber to "allow" me to criticize public work (I was under the impression anyone could critique anything?), and in fact I'm shocked that you are so incredibly enamored by the work as it passes on everything that I ever see turn up in yours. I dont think a single object in the game was created from a high poly mesh bake down, which I could swear I've heard you argue is an important way to make impressive detailed objects. I'm sorry the content on the website I made before I got hired doesn't impress you either. Not that I expect it to, but the content in my unearthly challenge thread is a bit more up to date. Although, I never claimed to be an award winning artist.

I was not hating on the developer, and I called no artist out specifically, I was merely stating a very objective and critical view of an otherwise overwhelmingly glowingly reviewed product in hopes of offering a new viewpoint on it. Like I stated previously, this is one of two of my all time favorite visual themes (for videogames, movies, or artwork in general), and as such I have extremely high expectations for it. I'm sorry if those expectations might "bite [me] on the ass later."

I find it sad that you have to attack me personally as the only means to defend your position. I have always been impressed by your art but the artwork you support often puzzles me. In the future I promise to avoid looking at anything with a critical eye and will remain complacent with whatever visuals I'm so blessed to receive.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christ, can we have at least one thread that doesn't center around drama...

Sandbag, I doubt you played it. You probably watched the videos and made some snap decisions, not a smart move. Adam and Ror called you it and gave you a poke to the ribs, time to move on and not dwell on it or worse try to argue about who is morally right or who said what first.

The short answer is no one cares and your just going to derail the thread "defending your honor". Have some thicker skin and maybe give things a fair shake before going off on them?

Personally I really like to wander around and check out assets but you have to put it all in context and nit picking over screen shots itsn't going to give you an accurate sense of the games pacing and movement which can't really be captured in stills, and is only marginally captured by trailers.

To put things back on track, I'm heading out at lunch to pick it up. Hopefully it won't be like Assassins Creed (started playing that again 2 nights ago) with long ass tutorials and boring dialog.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really dont see what is so bad about sandbag's posts, I personally haven't played the game, but just taking a quick look at the screenshots he seems to have some very valid points. The materials do look pretty flat and boring, the main character is a pretty terrible asset(its the main character, c'mon guys). Etc....

The art direction overall looks good, but as he said you can point out a lot of assets that arent the greatest. But you can do this in almost every game if you like, GTA for example is a great looking game, until you actually take the time to look at any of the assets.

I dont really get why people are getting all upset that he's giving his honest opinion on some of the assets, weather he's beaten the game or only play a couple levels has absolutely no baring on his ability to crit some of the assests, and last i checked this was a game art forum, so i dont see why being critcal about art assets is somehow now blamsphemous, i'm sure if this was a medicore game or worse the same people clamoring for the awesome art would be ragging on how terrible the art is.