Home General Discussion

does voting matter in the US?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
i've never voted. i'd love to know it actually mattered.

so here, i'll list my rants and reasons for not taking the time to register and vote:

1. i don't care. it's like, "hey, what do you feel like for grub? this or that?" and i'll say, "whatever is good" ultimately i get to pick from two. red or blue.

2. i've always been under the impression it never really mattered. i don't feel like i'd make much of a difference with voting. it's 1 out of a possible 9 million people.

3. i don't have time to research the issues. isn't that why there's an electoral college with people that specialize in this shit. i don't want to give an uneducated vote, honestly. i'd just be voting for people that don't look crazy our annoy the fuck out of me. i don't know anything about the world and where i stand on big issues and if they are really the right ones and how they might effect the world. i'm not sure i feel the need i have to. i'd love to continue enjoying life please, just keep everything how it is, i'm cool. stop starting wars plx.

4. ROCK THE VOTE! YOUR VOTE COUNTS! gah, get out of my FACE sheeeeiiites son! i'd like to put in motion... a thingy, and vote for outlawing harrassing people to vote. penalty by being flicked in the nose. why are people mad at me for not voting, wtf? it's freedom, r-right, yay, i'm enjoying my l-life! *sad pom-poms* i just saw a video of a bunch of rich, beautiful, and funny celebs telling me "not to vote" in a very sarcastic matter. their message was basically saying "America is in a shitty situation, it's really up to you to fix by voting!" Well shit. I'm letting the whole world implode because I can't bother to educate myself on the two candidates, decide which would be the best leader between the two, register so i can get called for jury duty or something, and vote. throw my paper into the abyss of votes. well fuckaroo, i'm a scum-bag. sorry guys. sorry to fuck up your world, i know you liked it i just, didn't want to vote.

so that's that.

lately i've been thinking, maybe my vote can matter. why else would candidates pretend to be mending fences and mule over what color ties they wear and shit. they obviously want to convince people they can relate with them, that they are "patriotic", "hip", and "smart" and don't hate stuff we like. they want my vote... so it must have some power, eh? they seem to think it matters.

i don't know politics and stuff well. my brain doesn't think it's very tasty. it's noisy and complicated. but, i'd like to know, does my vote really matter? what say you?

Replies

• Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Regardless of how little you may know about candidates position on issues, or how they look, you have the right to vote for whomever you like. There are plenty of other people that just vote one way because their parents did that, and so they do it regardless of what they know about.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't there anything you care about that one of the candidates strongly oppose? Maybe you just really like abortions, right? There you go, let your voice be heard.

Also, the 'I'm just one vote' is just fucking ridiculous.

Yes, you are. As are the other 9 million fuckers, really.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    vote if you want to. Don't vote if you don't want to. That's the bit that really matters.

There was a fantastic letter in Viz comic a while ago along the lines of :
    "I was going out to the polling office with my mate. He was going to vote Conservative, i was going to vote Labour. So we just stayed in and had a spliff instead"
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've always held that all voting polls should have a "None of the above." option.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talon: they do, in the sense that you can waste your vote on one of the other parties, who have no hopes of getting to power. Which is a real shame, mind. I think the two-party system is a terrible, terrible way to run an election. Choosing between 8 parties would be more difficult, sure, but it would also diversify things a bit. Make it so it doesn't end up being 'so that party hates gays? OKAY HERES MY VOTE'. The current system just enables parties to appeal to fundamentalists to secure a victory.
    My point is: if there are only two opposing parties, it makes it almost impossible for them to agree on something. The system almost drives them to provide the polar opposite to the other's opinions.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the very least, you could check on each sides views and discussions that could impact the games industry. Stricter ratings, restricting market presence, etc. These would ultimately affect all of us here.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, see what their stance is on cats.
    Maybe they own cats. Maybe they are going to shoot cats into space.
    1157529034_yawn2_019.jpg

The more you know.
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Voting definately matters. One of the reasons the U.S. is in bad shape these days is the lack of effective voting by the population. A rather ignorant and apathetic population has allowed the greedyRich folks to pretty much do what they want for way too long, and now the current generation (and next generation) are going to pay a VERY high price for the lack of political action on the part of regular folks.

Thomas Jefferson said that any democracy essentially needs a new revolution every generation, in the form of forceful voting that corrects problems as they arise. He wasn't wrong.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    2. i've always been under the impression it never really mattered. i don't feel like i'd make much of a difference with voting. it's 1 out of a possible 9 million people.

That's how robot Nixon won the election
    Voting definately matters. One of the reasons the U.S. is in bad shape these days is the lack of effective voting by the population.

The largest voting block in America are old people so anyone that waves a home baked apple pie in their face will get into office.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Don't vote. It only encourages them"
    Using your own logic you could vote even if it was an uninformed vote, it won't matter its only 1 out 9million votes =P

In the end you should do what you think is right and what works for you. If you're thinking about voting listen to what each of the candidates have to say about themselves in their own words (and not what they have to say about the other guy). Then go with whoever you agree with the most. If neither agrees with you Pea had a good suggestions throw your vote away to a no name or don't vote.

If you don't vote someone else is going to, and you're trusting their judgment over your own, kind of scary.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Talon: they do, in the sense that you can waste your vote on one of the other parties, who have no hopes of getting to power. Which is a real shame, mind. I think the two-party system is a terrible, terrible way to run an election. Choosing between 8 parties would be more difficult, sure, but it would also diversify things a bit. Make it so it doesn't end up being 'so that party hates gays? OKAY HERES MY VOTE'. The current system just enables parties to appeal to fundamentalists to secure a victory.
    Yeah, but I'd be interested in seeing what sort of figures an actual "none of the above" option would get, rather than just an invalidated vote. I'm curious to see who would turn up to categorically state "I want to vote but I won't put my name to either party".
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Monster Raving Loony and all that lot are essentially "none of the above" options. Should be pretty easy to find results for those
  • ohnein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talon wrote: »
    Yeah, but I'd be interested in seeing what sort of figures an actual "none of the above" option would get, rather than just an invalidated vote. I'm curious to see who would turn up to categorically state "I want to vote but I won't put my name to either party".

I long for the day that people exactly vote for a candidate and not for the party. Parties stink and have always stunk.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'If you don't vote someone else is going to, and you're trusting their judgment over your own, kind of scary.'
    Good, short and easy to understand. Thanks to the V.

political-pictures-socks-cat-cheezburger.jpg
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    It simply doesn't matter much. The electoral college overrules our votes and fucks up the works. Not trying to start an argument but we can go back to the 2000 election where Gore won the people to people vote, but the electoral college voted in Bush, so the people's vote didn't matter one bit. So, it doesn't matter if you vote. My wife and I votes usually cancel each other out so we don't vote very often. :D

http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/fe2000/prespop.htm
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Talon: oh, agreed. That would be an interesting statistic!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    26 states have legislation that force the electoral college to vote what the people off their district voted majority on. The other states? No rules, the college can vote as they wish.

Voting DOES matter. I'd love to see the forceful legislation pass in all 50 states to ensure every single vote counts, but even still, it's good to voice your opinion.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    KP don't be a hippie loser and not vote. I'm sick of people that bitch and moan about government and life then plead ignorance as to why they don't vote. Or worse they try to spin it like they are above voting.
    Be a big boy, go get up off your ass and register.
    Do it!
    B
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    voting is firing a bullet in trench warfare.

the vast majority don't ever hit a target and yours probably won't either, but it's how wars are won.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    I love you KP and Sectaurs.
    B
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    "Russia is our neighbor, they're a foreign country, and on the otherside of us, we share a border with Canada, these are foreign countries."

If this is the extent of the foreign policy experience of the VP candidate, and the Presidential candidate is getting odds placed on whether he'll survive his first term, do you SERIOUSLY think that the republicans deserve the vote?

We're talking about a person who is getting crash courses on the DAY OF political events. Do you seriously want a 2nd in command and likely commander in chief that is getting a crash course on foreign policy the same day she has to make a world effecting decision?

If I were american, I'd be voting democrat this election, regardless if I were republican or not, and in 4 years, see what the candidates are like then. Seriously... that's some scary shit that can go down.

You have a duty to not let your country get any more fucked up than it is right now ;)
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    killingpeople - you are basically right.

These elections are a facade. A theatrical production akin to a pro wrestling match, with the same confetti, flashbulbs, fanatical fans, smack talking and plot twists. But when the wrestlers are back in the locker room, they are all still on the same team, with the same goals and objectives. The only difference is most people know pro wrestling is fake. The candidates that have been chosen for us to "choose" from are all from the same groups and organizations, with (basically) the same agendas, allegiances and objectives: consolidation of wealth, power and control, both domestically and abroad.

Obviously that is a tough pill to swallow for the average American citizen who has been programmed from childhood to believe that this is a "democracy", this is the land of the free, home of the brave etc, etc.

Seriously, we have a leader who is a war criminal and a traitor who rigged elections to steal his way into office, and there's nothing we can do about it. What kind of "democracy" is that? Sarah Palin is a Vice Presidential candidate. These are major red flags indicating that our system is seriously flawed on a very fundamental level. But we don't like to talk about real issues like that that. Why? Because we know that there is nothing we can, or will do about it. Because this is not a government that answers to the will of the people, and we realize that, even if we don't want to admit it. For the most part, we will accept it, as long as we are comfortable, well fed, and entertained.

Who is going to win this "election" - Easy. The CFR, Trilateral Commission, Bilderbergs, KBR, Halliburton, GE, General Dynamics, Westinghouse, Rockefellars, Morgans, Exxon, Texaco, Bechtel, etc. The same groups that won last time. And the time before that. And the time before that.

I posted a quote some time ago from one of the most respected intellectuals, authors and professors in the country, Noam Chomsky;

"The United States is a fake democracy, and it's citizens are hardly more than irrelevant onlookers"

That about sums it up.

( I highly recomend his book "Failed States", which was scheduled for a book review on NPR, but subsequently pulled at the last minute. That's right, censored from public radio. Probably worth finding out why. Also "Hegemony Or Survival" is worth a read).

Besides, what do us regular citizens even know about running a global hegemonic empire? For example, when should the United States support, finance, arm and equip a ruthless dictator, and when should we take him down? That's a real question. Are we really qualified to answer that?

So yeah, hate to rain on our "Parade Of Democracy" here, but seriously folks, this is a nation of sheep ruled by wolves. I think that the last 8 years have illustrated that fact pretty well. Bush is not the problem with our government, he is a product of it.

At least, this is how it appears to me.....
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Voting matters on principle -- voting as an individual supports the idea of everyone voting, etc etc.

Individual votes are worth nothing. I mean, technically we're still a representative republic, it's only the electoral college which is actually going to cast votes.

edit: @whiny liberals who says the government is evil and controlling, chill out, guys.

Sectaurs pretty much nailed it.

Dekard: That's an oversimplification of the voting process and blatant lie, really. The electoral college did their job as outlined, none of them took the vote into their own hands, which they do have the power to. They're broken up by district, and Bush won in that way. Had one of them changed their vote to support the popular vote they would have been opposing the voice of local voters, and debatably abusing their power. Certianly using it outside of the normal contraints.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    "i don't have the time to research the issues"

c'mon mang....
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    Dekard: That's an oversimplification of the voting process and blatant lie, really. The electoral college did their job as outlined, none of them took the vote into their own hands, which they do have the power to. They're broken up by district, and Bush won in that way. Had one of them changed their vote to support the popular vote they would have been opposing the voice of local voters, and debatably abusing their power. Certianly using it outside of the normal contraints.

It's for the people, by the district then, not for the people and by the people. I'm not complaining about dem's losing the election 8 years later, I'm just showing the flaw in the system. The people voted, and the people lost. The electoral college voted someone in, that the people didn't. Districts get redistricted every few years for better results all the time to sway for the dems or repubs...
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "follow your heart. that's what i always do."

gallery_Napoleon_Dynamite_1.jpg

what fritz? it's true man! i've never been into politics, learning about the stuff is a chore to me. my family was never into it. they were religious people that were going to vote republican just because that's the party they always supported, because their religion supports it.

it's basically how i've always been. as a kid i think, "yeah, history class is awesome, i could fight sleep and try and pay attention... or i could secretly draw a space-cow comic book... hmm."

maybe i'll vote just in spite of a McCain supporter. so everytime i meet a person that says, "i voted for McCain, i can say, my vote negated yours. if i do vote, i'll be in arizona, so i'm expecting McCain to dominate this state. the whole thing seems retarded.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    voting only matters if you live in some of the 'important' states. If you live in California, your vote doesnt matter.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    The electoral college voted someone in, that the people didn't.

This is true, and is how the government has always been. We're a representative republic.
  • Brettzies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's better to vote so at least you can say, "I voted for that bastard!" or "I didnt' vote for this sh!t!"

I'm not sure why we stick with the Electoral College though. Someone told me it's so they won't just campaign in certain key states. With TV and internet and everything we have now, who cares where the do or do not campaign? I don't buy that.

I largely feel like my vote doesn't count. Mostly because even if your state is basically split, whoever has a few more votes is going to win ALL of the Electoral votes. Like someone already said, some states are already decided long ago, so if you're in one of those states, it doesn't really matter that much.

Now, if it was based on popular vote, it just feels like it would actually count towards the final tally more directly. People might actually have that sense of "my vote counts." This is for the president of the entire country, not just states. It just seems dumb to have indirect voting. Even if the electorals would split their votes it would make more sense. Half your state wants blue and have wants red, so 42(or whatever) for each?

What if there's a tie you say? .....deathmatch of course.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brettzies wrote: »
    What if there's a tie you say? .....deathmatch of course.

That's the answer to any of life's questions.
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    fattkid wrote: »
    Seriously, we have a leader who is a war criminal and a traitor who rigged elections to steal his way into office, and there's nothing we can do about it.

you argue that we have a system of election that is essentially a facade and then offer up this nugget that seems to go against your basic philosophy. how can someone rig an election that doesnt matter?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Short answer; NO
    Long answer; NO
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    "Don't vote. It only encourages them"
    Using your own logic you could vote even if it was an uninformed vote, it won't matter its only 1 out 9million votes =P

so ya dude, you're totally right, in my twisted-up retarded understanding, that's dead-on true!

that's why i need to first logically determine if the voters votes matter.

my original way of thought is that votes don't matter because the electoral college is an indirect election process.

however, after some reading, my vote will influence the popular vote, which in turn should influence the elected representative for the state i live in. they can legally vote against what the people want, and it has happened a very few times in the past, but from what i've read, they typically never misrepresent the people in fear of not be elected for their next term.

so, if my vote actually does matter and the diebold machines aren't still inaccurately counting votes, i'd then need to determine the value of my vote's influence and weigh that with the efforts of being active and knowing the issues, my stances on them, and then researching the candidates and their beliefs on issues. *ugh* granted after all is said and done, i'll be more smarter and know myself better. maybe find myself in a situation where i can argue about stuff with some slutty chick and we agree to disagree, and fuck it out like some strange porno fantasy! whoa..

so i may just register, just in case i decide to vote. i only have like a few days and it's apparently arizona is supper progressive and it's really easy to register compared to other states, it can all be done online and shit.

sooooo... hmmm...
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    you can always write in a name cory.
    Let's vote for Crom. Crom is strong![ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh9Aw5B4AJA"]Crom is strong![/ame]
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    see? that's some good research. haha. i know what you're saying tho.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Well, although one vote is insignificant in the eyes of someone intelligent, please go vote because there are millions of fucking retards who don't understand the insignificance of their vote and they gladly cast it for a bad leader :)

I like the primary voting system we have here in TX way better than the actual election. In the standard primary vote, each county tallies up their votes and awards a certain number of delegates to the candidate. This makes your vote much more important because it can literally come down to a handful of votes whether or not a delegate swings one way or another. That state can be decided by one delegate easily. When you break it down into smaller groups then I think the "vote as a block of constituents" policy works, but I absofuckinglutely hate the idea that because someone wins by 1 vote, they take the entire fucking state. It's absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary.

Either way, go vote please. Even if you don't believe it influences the election, the poll results are published across the country where every elected leader can take notice of how people feel. Even here in TX, which will most likely go Republican like it has for at least the past 20 years, your vote counts because if McCain wins 55-45 instead of 60-37 like Bush did against Gore, then the elected leaders of our state will take notice that people aren't happy with many of his policies and they will pay more attention to public opinion in order to get re-elected.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I think you can't really make an informed decision on candidates anyways because the election leading up to the who's actually in office is a big dog and pony show anyways. Looking back on history, how many elected officials made good on ALL of their promises they make during elections? It's all a bunch of posturing and shit talking their opponent.

I don't REALLY know whether A) our votes are amounting to something, B) the electoral colleges are really where all the decisions are made or C) elections are a facade and the person elected is simply determined by those in various powerful positions. I think the whole "if you didn't vote, don't complain" sentiment is made by those who blindly believe our country is truly democratic when they don't really know for sure like most of us don't. Personally I'd love it if I could choose between the lesser of at least THREE evils as opposed to two, but until then I'll usually vote out the incumbent or his/her party if things are broken.
  • Renaud Galand
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If I might slightly derail for a second, can someone explain in lay terms what exactly these electoral colleges are? I read through wikipedia and it still doesn't appear to make any real sense.
  • Brettzies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    If I might slightly derail for a second, can someone explain in lay terms what exactly these electoral colleges are? I read through wikipedia and it still doesn't appear to make any real sense.
    Back when America was founded they didn't think the "people" were smart enough to vote for themselves on issues, but would instead vote for whoever they knew. So they came up with this electoral thing to insure some bonehead didn't win the election. They would consider how the populace voted but didn't have to adhere to it.

Basically it's based on population. The bigger the population of a state, the more electoral votes they get. I think every state has a minimum of 2 + # of population, but a big state like California has 55. What happens is, the people vote in each state and whoever wins in that state gets all of that state's electoral votes. Technically, most state laws let the elector vote however he/she wants still, but I think the public outcry would be huge if a state flip flopped and voted against the results.

So you can end up with a very close popular vote(direct voter votes). Say 1 million to 1 million 500. But the electoral vote could be less close because of the all or nothing factor. You'll have media calling a landslide, but really was it? I think Gore actually won the popular vote in 2000? Can't remember.

I just don't see why it has to be all or nothing. Say a state is 1/3 blue and 2/3 red, why not give the votes that way too? Mostly I don't like it because this is for our entire country and should not matter what state you live in.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure how many people understand this in our country. That's why the whole "your vote counts" thing is only half true. It counts, but not with other like minded people across the country, only within your state - which can be very difficult to overcome in biased states. It's very difficult to win in a state with history of being the other color. That's fine for state issues, but for country, I'm totally against it. Everyone should be able to stand with who they choose regardless of where they live.

Maybe there are benefits to this system, but I just don't see them.
  • Snuggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snuggles polycounter lvl 17
    Oh, you SHOULD research and after that you SHOULD vote. I won't argue against it.

But dear god, I do agree, an uninformed vote is nothing but harmful. With the way most voters decide their votes, effing Hitler could get into office if he appeared on TV with an apple pie and some bald eagles enough times.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm asking the same question about our Canadian elections... I frankly don't care at the moment but I should, at least to make more educational choices in the future...

But American politics are much more exciting, and if I could vote in America, I would... but I only got the Canadian election... so I'll pass and watch me some CNN! durr.....
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    no single raindrop will claim it was ever responsible for the flood, isn't that how the saying goes?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just don't see why it has to be all or nothing. Say a state is 1/3 blue and 2/3 red, why not give the votes that way too? Mostly I don't like it because this is for our entire country and should not matter what state you live in.

That's how it is in some states, though, isn't it? Or is that only in the primary election?

And yeah, gore won popular, bush won electoral.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Statistically, the only votes that matter are the votes that change the outcome of what you are voting on. The odds that your vote will be the one that changes the outcome of the presidential election are vanishingly small, but get better at smaller elections (for town mayor, for example).
  • rexus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexus polycounter lvl 16
    Voting is very important as an african american my grandmother and those before her didnt have the right to vote ,let alone the right to be free in america. Many people had to die and withstand persucution to obtain what many people today take for granted. Just because you are one person dosent mean you dont make a diffrence Martin Luther King or Abhraham Linchon wouldnt have accomplished any thing if they had carried that type of attitude what if the people who stood behind people like them had that way. I feel that coming together as one is the best way for the United States to progress and to me the best way for us to do that is to vote.
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    I'm curious, for those people who don't vote because they don't think it'll matter, what about senators, mayors, govenors, state legislature, judges....? These people are in a position to directly affect your daily life and are there to represent you in the federal government. The president probably isn't going to take your call and listen to you complain about some bill, but your congressman will (if they're any good) and they're in a position to have a direct impact. A few weeks ago when the streets and rivers were horribly flooded here the mayor was on my street talking to us to see what can be done and how to handle the damage. Voting definitly matters.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i obviously haven't grasped the importance of the whole thing. i can't seem to convince myself it's as important as the majority make it out to be. i totally understand where people are coming from, the logic is there:
    these elected officials make decisions that effect my life. i get a chance to influence the decision of who is elected into office.

it's a pretty basic concept. i want this, some other dude wants that instead. so we vote for it, winner wins, loser agrees to be cool about it.

growing up, i've heard people say voting matters and i've heard people say it doesn't for many different reasons. luckily i don't have to to continue living here and pay taxes, so naturally, i've just been chill'n. i think things are important and disagree with some shit that's been going down, but will voting really do anything? i guess it will.

and yo, i understand that african americans and women fought for their right to vote. voting should be a privilege and right for all americans, regardless of race, gender, or sexual preference. i'm all for being fair.

however, because people were unfairly denied these rights, fought and died to obtain them, won't make me feel any more obligated to vote. i consider not voting a right as well. i'm not going to buy a gun just because i have the right to bear arms. anyway...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    y not, guns are cool
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Back when America was founded they didn't think the "people" were smart enough to vote for themselves on issues, but would instead vote for whoever they knew. So they came up with this electoral thing to insure some bonehead didn't win the election. They would consider how the populace voted but didn't have to adhere to it.

Man that sucks :p Id be pissed if i was American. Actually i should be pissed anyway seeing as the election has such a huge impact in the rest of the world aswell :p meh