Home General Discussion

Books?

Replies

• seanv
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. It might seem old school, but for a book 100 years old or so it covers pot smoking, torture, piracy, lesbianism, kidnapping, revenge, life in prison, sword fighting, fighting, manipulating others by appealing to their vanity, world travel, sticking up for the weak and trampled, use of disguise, poisoning/chemistry, and ultimately being man enough to let go.

Plus, Dumas was rumored to be some kind occult head game artist.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Neil Strauss: The Game

Chuck Palahniuk: Lullabye, Invisible Monsters

Neil Gaiman: Anansi Boys, The entire Sandman Series (comics)

Robert Jordan (R.I.P.): The Wheel of Time Series (notably the first 3 books). Shame he died before he could finish.

Dalai Lama: The Art of Happiness
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Kay, finished Grendel (Amazing book, very existential, entertaining, and just flat out good, I especially enjoy the pictures it paints in my head, and the growth and changes in the character, also his taunting of Unferth, and encounters with goats)
    Kay, I'm going to move on to some other book now, but highly recommend Grendel (by John Gardner)
    Uhh.. Probably gonna get some book dealing with knightly stuff now
  • Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    The Realm Of The Elderlings trilogies by Robin Hobb. They're the best books I've ever read!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    ahaha iv just ordered like 12 books from all the recommendations here, gonna be a good month ahead :D

thx for the recs
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Talon wrote: »
    Oh man, Da Vinci Code was awful. It's a book written for idiots to make them think they're intelligent. Digital Fortress, too. I've not read Angels & Demons, but I can't see it being much better :/

Talon + 1. Terrible, terrible books. Nasty. I read Da Vinci code on a plane once and I wish I'd stuck with the safety card. Prolix! Prolix! Nothing A Pair Of Scissors Can't Fix
  • Tully
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Right now I'm reading 'Your Inner Fish' by Neil Shubin. It's about how the idiosyncracies of the evolutionary development of our own bodies can be enlightened by experiments and research into animal (particularly fish) anatomy, embryonic development and fossils. This is written by the same guy who found Tiktaalik in the Canadian Arctic a couple years ago. Awesome book so far! Really fun to read, though I wish the illustrations were better.

I just finished reading 'Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" by Richard Feynman a week or so ago. It was great fun -- just silly stories about a very interesting guy who won the nobel prize in physics.

Also reading Made In America by Bill Bryson. The book is supposed to be about the evolution of the English language in the USA, but unfortunately I've found it a bit heavy going so far -- he's expounding on early American history a tad too much for my taste (though I guess I can see how the two things are linked). I've never been very interested in American history, but it'll probably pick up later. I really like Bryson's work overall.

I also picked up 'Trick or Treatment' about general quackery and specious medicine. I'll probably read it on holiday.

'Evil Genes: How Rome Fell, Hitler Rose, Enron Failed and My Sister Stole my Mother's Boyfriend' is next on my list, however. Barbara Oakley (who used to be a translator on Soviety nuclear submarines, no less!) wrote the book about her theory that psychopathy and sociopathy is a trait that's largely determined genetically, and at least isn't the fault of poor parenting. I'm not sure I'll agree, but that's why I'm reading the book!

I've been wanting to get back into fiction for a while, but durnit--there's so much interesting non-fiction to read. Can't seem to force myself... fiction can be so crappy, so often.
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    jox wrote: »
    Neil Strauss: The Game
    LOL, oh jeez. Seeing this book mentioned here brings back memories. A suggestion, though, to anyone reading it and feeling inspired: read it all from cover to cover before acting on any sudden impulses :poly124:
  • Farfarer
    I've just been reminded of another awesome book;

The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart

I don't think it fits any of the OP's prerequisites - if anything it goes out of it's way to go against them - but it's a solid read.
  • Ozymandias
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    Talon, I recently finished "I, Lucifer", thoroughly enjoyed it, and it makes my suggestion list. Looking through this thread again for my next book. This thread rocks!
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Anything by H.P. Lovecraft is amazing.
    The "divine comedy" ain't bad either.
    Fahrenheit 451 is great too.
    the whole "Sabriel" series by Garth Nix is great too.
    Lovecraft is my favorite though, and most of his stories deal with isolation (mental or physical, depending on how he felt, I guess)
  • Marisa
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    I just finished with the Harry Potter series. It was Gloriously Amazing!! :) I recommend it to anyone.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Been reading "World War Z" by Max Brooks. If you're a real man who likes zombies and not a little girl who likes pirates, you'll enjoy it.
  • Waz
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    Gavimage wrote: »
    Been reading "World War Z" by Max Brooks. If you're a real man who likes zombies and not a little girl who likes pirates, you'll enjoy it.

Did you read the Zombie Survival Guide yet Gav? Both are really great. Audiobooked both of them while out driving.

Right now I'm on book 4 of the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, called House of Chains by Steven Erickson. Best fantasy series out there so far imo and I've read a lot of them.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Yo Waz,

nope haven't read the Survival Guide yet, though it is on my list. To be honest I usually only read boring biographies...but this wa s agood recommendation from my zombie fanatic tattoo artist :P
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    A few that I've enjoyed recently:

Gibraltar Earth by Michael McCollum - pretty good, enjoyed it, but plot way too predictable. One of those books where you realise what's going from the start, but have to be dragged along the entire story anyway, and you keep considering just skipping to the end to get it confirmed so you can move on. Okay, so maybe I don't recommend this one a whole lot...

Protector by Larry Niven. Solid science fiction. Niven isn't one of my favourite authors, but he writes sci fi that I can enjoy without too much strain.

The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism by Robert P. Murphy. Consumed this one as an audiobook. Very entertaining? Yeah. Believable? Perhaps. I guess as with something like statstics, you can prove or disprove all the statements Murphy has, but they do make you think long and hard about the current economic unstability and e.g. the impact bailouts have.

The Post-American World by Fareed Zakaria. Pretty good. Listened to it as an audiobook which was probably a mistake as the narrator, Jim Hoge, doesn't really do it for me. Not a very engaging voice and rhythm to his narration, so my mind wanders. As for the contents of the book. What I can remember from it, it was pretty interesting.
  • Em.
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Jimmies, Grendel is one of my favorite books of all time. Had to read it in high school of all places for an assignment (my lit teacher kicked ass) and totally fell in love.

I tried to scan the thread to make sure I don't repeat anyone but here's a few of my favorite series:

First I have to second the A Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin, fucking LOVE those books. I would hug the man if I ever met him in person. I kind of went through a lull in my reading and he really reignited my interest in it and renwed my faith in literature.

Jim Butcher: Have read about 5 books into the Dresden Files series and really dig em, they're light, fun books. Don't judge them by the short lived series on Sci Fi channel, they really fucked it up.
    Recently started the Codex Alera series, I'm about 75% through the third book. If you like fantasy books like GRRM writes or Robert Jordan type stuff, strongly suggest these. They're lighter but the battles are epic and exciting and you really grow to care about the characters.

S.M. Sterling: He does a lot of alternate history/post apocalyptic/ fantasy/sci fi kind of things. Strongly reccomend the Dies The Fire series and the Nantuckett series. The two series somewhat correlate through a mysterious happening that essentially throws things into the past. One of the main characters in the Dies The Fire series, Mike Havel, alone is worth reading for.

Planning on getting on to the Wheel of Time books soon since they've been reccomended to me so many times.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    First I have to second the A Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin, fucking LOVE those books. I would hug the man if I ever met him in person. I kind of went through a lull in my reading and he really reignited my interest in it and renwed my faith in literature.

He needs to release the next (*&@#@ set of books.. FFS, he's already broken it into to two seperate books so he's said, my wife sent an email to him and he said he just writes when he feels like it and he's been taking vacations and relaxing. LOL

At first I hated his writing style, as you'd just get to like a character WHAM, chop off their heads.. :D Lot's of strings all over the place, hope he can finish them all up before he passes away... O_o
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    kite: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell sounds cool, I'll cue that up.

Sectaurs: Moorcock? *snickers*

Joopson: I read Sabriel and its series a while ago and I really loved the concept of the Abhorsen. Love the bells and everything, what a great character concept. Nix is apparently adding to the series in 2010.

I've been enjoying The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson.
  • gavku
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    ...last book i read was " The Graveyard Book"

...agree with the George r r martin comments...maybe if he didn't watch so much nfl...
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i've just finished Charlie Brooker's "Dawn of the Dumb". You don't really need another book.
  • Darth Tomi
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Robert Heinlein
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Any Heinlein book in particular?
  • Em.
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    East: I'd go with The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Stranger in a Strange Land and the completely-not-at-all-like-the-movie Starship Troopers. All good and good representations of his work.
  • Talbot
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Reading Gormenghast trilogy atm, great so far
  • Farfarer
    Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan is a damn good read, finished it the other week.

Any other good cyberpunk books people could recommend? Already read Snow Crash and a fair amount of Gibson's work...
  • Pedro Amorim
    last book was choke from the same guy that wrote fight club. prettycool.

anywho. any recommendations on art books? and also tank related books. with lots of cool pics and shit
  • EarthQuake
    Pedro, you know how to read?
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Best book I have ever read is "Anastasia" by Vladamir Megre, but they only sell it online. Totally worth it though, for the whole series. Plus, its supposedly a true story. I highly suggest it!
    http://www.ringingcedars.com/

Thats the name of the series, the ringing cedars.
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Joopson, I'm getting an uncomfortable vibe from that site.

"The Ringing Cedars Series is neither fiction nor non-fiction, but something else entirely."
  • Pedro Amorim
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Pedro, you know how to read?

:(
    learned it the other day :(
  • Darth Tomi
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    East wrote: »
    Any Heinlein book in particular?

All of them. Going through about 1 a week. Read a bunch waaayy back in JR High but now I'm picking up the rest.
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Hmm. I recently read Angela's Ashes and it was really good. Recently as in half a year ago, because I so rarely read books. :( Enjoyed a bit of Foucalt's Pendulum so far this month, but haven't gotten into reading it too much because the copy I've got is HTML. There are just so many distractions when sitting in a browser.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Joopson, I'm getting an uncomfortable vibe from that site.
    Hmm, I got a nice vibe from the site, haha... (I dare you to find a site I DON'T get a nice vibe from though). The books, though, are bloody amazing!