Home General Discussion

Books?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
I'm sure that you've all read a book at some point in your life, and I'm suggesting that you start sharing good ones with all your lovely polycount friends!

Personally, I haven't read too many books, especially not lately, the ones I can remember reading, however, are these

Do androids dream of electric sheep
Alice in Wonderland (Both books)

and that's about all I can remember, but I can also recommend them.

Umm, if anyone can share books that are cool with me? Uhhh.. looking for something to read, preferably fiction. I'm kinda looking for books that deal with isolation, knightly stuff, and space (I'm working on some kind of story of my own, dealing in some way with all 3.)
So I need inspiration, and must have stuff to read.

Replies

• Microneezia
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    The Ghomanghast Trilogy. Amazingly descriptive writing. Very appropriate for aspiring environment artists. If you read the first 10 pages, or less, the entire 3 books are hard to let sit on the shelf. Taunting you, laughing at you and your daily toils. laughing I say, mocking even!
  • JDinges
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    A Song of Ice and Fire series, best fantasy books I've ever read.

Though I warn that they're not for the faint of heart, very graphic and very brutal.
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges wrote: »

Though I warn that they're not for the faint of heart, very graphic and very brutal.

Hoorah, I enjoy brutal descriptions.
    I mean, i'm not a violent person but I love descriptive violence in novels, although vague descriptions can be just as effective if done properly
  • hobodactyl
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I've recently been reading Dan Abnett's Warhammer 40k books; Eisenhorn and the Ravenor trilogy. They're fun, quick reads, and Abnett is a comic book writer so there's a lot of punch to them.

I'm not even going to try listing all the famous stuff, obviously anything fairly well known has something good to say, but I would definitely recommend Steven King's On Writing if you're interested in writing. Even if you don't like King's stuff he is amazingly prolific and does really well sales-wise, so it would be silly to not take a look at what he has to say. (Personally I really enjoyed reading it for entertainment alone, not to mention a lot of great tips)

Ugh, it's hard not to get too crazy talking about reading, I love to read, so just send me a PM if you want to chat about it sometime :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Not a real sci fi book fan myself. I prefer thrillers, biology's and factual reading. Though I did enjoy the Halo novels. Even if you don't like the game, the story is quite interesting and a good read.
  • [MILES]
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    *Bible (Old & New Testament)
    *Boy Scout Handbook
    *Riftwar Series (Magician: Apprentice, Magician: Master, Silverthorn, etc) by Raymond E. Feist
    *Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
    *An Inconvenient Book: Real Solutions to the World's Biggest Problems by Glenn Beck
  • J Randall
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    yeah phil k dick is pretty tops, trying to get into William Gibson's cyberpunk stuff, I also like reading/listening to napoleon hill books.
  • sicsided
    American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis
    Demian - Hermann Hesse
    The Dragon Never Sleeps - Glen Cook
    The Official Report on Earth by High Commander Dick Solomon - Terry Turner
    Running with Scissors - Augustus Burroughs
    Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
    Choke - Chuck Palahniuk
    Less than Zero - Bret Easton Ellis
    Trainspotting - Irvine Welsh
    Halo Series (except The Flood) - Many Authors

1984 was a great read too.
  • DeathKitten
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathKitten polycounter lvl 18
    mmmm Books :D

Some of my all time favorites, copied straight from my website ;)

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick
    Deathlands by Jack Adrian
    The World is Not Enough by Zoe Oldenbourg
    The Dark Tower series by Stephen King
    The Thief of Always by Clive Barker
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
    Ghost Story by Peter Straub
    We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (the granddaddy of 1984)
    Red Dragon by Thomas Harris
    The Talisman by Stephen King & Peter Straub
    The Godfather by Mario Puzo
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
    ...and A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, which I am currently on my third read through, simply the most amazing book and well worth picking up!

-DK >^..^<
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    After a quick search in GD, I came up with a bunch of threads with the same topic. We seem to get this going once every few months :P
    Sorted by age (recent at the top), some threads are for novels some graphic novels.

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=51716
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=45589
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=40633
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=39188
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=37331
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=35745

Enjoy

-caseyjones
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I like P.K. Dick's ideas...but I can't get through any of his stuff...I just recently gave him another shot with The Man in a high Castle...and it bored the crap out of me....

Favorites here would be:

Dark Tower Series

American Gods

Eyes of The Dragon

The Hobbit

Dark Elf Trilogy ( if you can stomach past all the D&D lingo)

Stainless Steel Rat

Almost forgot about Barker...The Great and Secret Show is one of my all time favorites
  • man_o_mule
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    I love Robert Heinlein and Isaac Asimov. Don't be put off by the crappy movie renditions of Starship Troopers and I Robot. While the movies are decent the books are brilliant. I also recommend Friday and Stranger in a Strange Land both by Heinlein.

I'm also a dark tower nut. Love those books by Stephen King. Although the last 2 were kinda low in quality compared to the previous books. Glad he actually finished the serious though and didn't die before they were done like some authors.

I'm also a big Grisham fan. Most of his books are a bit predictable but good fun reads. I have read a few tom clancy books but most are REALLY hard to get through.

no list would be complete without the Lord of the Rings trillogy either. But my favorite book of all time has to be Contact by Carl Sagan. I've probably read that book like 20 times. The movie really doesn't do the book justice.
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Scar Tissue by Anthony Keidis
    [Autobiography of the singer of the Red Hot Chili Peppers]

No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs by John Lydon
    [Autobiography of Johnny Rotten, singer of The Sex Pistols]

As you can see I've been following a pattern here with the last two books. My dad lent them to me and they were both awesome. Scar Tissue was CRAZY. I recommend that one the most.
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Snow Crash and Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (Cyber Punk Novels)

JPod and Microserfs by Douglas Coupland (Computer geek novels. watch the jpod tv series people if you have not)
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18

If you haven't, read this. Now.

Also...

A Theory of Fun by Raph Koster
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Anything by Anne McCaffrey, I especially love the Planet Pirates series and Crystal Singer series
    Anything by Terry Pratchett

Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter.
    The Celestine series by James Redfield

Illusions by Richard Bach
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a hundred or so pages into A Storm of Swords by George RR Martin. I like the series but I can't read more than a few chapters at a time but with other books I can sit and read the whole thing in a day. I think it took me a month to read the first two books and I haven't touched A Storm of Swords in several months.

as for "Space" stuff Tales of the Star Wolf by David Gerrold should be a good read, especially for those who like Star Trek: The Next Generation. Gerrold is the guy who wrote the origianl Tribbles episode of the original Star Trek and used some ideas from several scripts he wrote for TNG but were rejected by FOX because they included homosexual characters and a disease resembling AIDS.

Impact Parameter by Geoffry A Landis. if I remember right he used to work for NASA so that should give some unique insights to space and space travel.

these two i own but haven't read yet:
    Timelike Diplomacy by Charles Stross (who has been getting lots of praise for his novels in the last 2-3 years.)
    Heavy Planet by Hal Clement (a classic series)

hmm..... and I've just realized that I don't seem to read much Sci-Fi outside of Star Wars novels... and those vary greatly in quality...
  • kite
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    last couple of books i read were really good - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke - brilliant pseudo historical novel about two magicians in the 19th century
    modelling and sculpting the human figure by edouard lanteri, think it's the only book on art technique i've managed to read all the way through. Full of lots of sculptural techniques i'd never heard of before.

for isolation - steppenwolf
    for knights - The War Hound and the World's Pain
    for space - anything by iain m banks
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    Gah! I forgot so many books that i've read before...uhhh..thanks for all the input and here are a few i've read before that I forgot and loved

American Psycho
    A lot of redwall books when I was younger
    Arabat (Abarat?)
    Some of the hitchicker's guide to the galaxy books

And now I have a lot of books to read, and have considered getting even before this topic
    Fight Club
    Grendel (Beowulf from the monster's view)
    More Bret Easton Ellis
    Trainspotting (prolly pretty good)
    Ratman's Notebooks
  • Pedro Amorim
  • Farfarer
    Isolation/Knightly/Space stuff...

His Majesty's Starship ("The Ark" in the US) by Ben Jeapes - Really aimed at "teens" but it's got some cool ideas on space tech, combat and aliens. I guess it kind of deals with isolation and knightly behavour a bit, too.

Excession by Iain M Banks - Some very cool space related stuff. Teeming with neat tech and ideas about space/future.

The Dark Side of the Sun by Terry Pratchett - One of his older books. Quite lighthearted but again, some fun (and big) theories on space and the universe as a whole. Strata is also worth a read if you liked that.

Generally good books...

His Dark Materials Trilogy by Phillip Pullman - It's entirely possible that these are the best books ever written. Definitely deals with your isolation topic. (Trlogy consists of Northern Lights - or The Golden Compass in the US, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass).

American Gods by Neil Gaiman - It's just a flat-out awesome book. If I hadn't read the above, this would be my favourite book ever. Try and get the re-edited one ("author's preferred text"). Neverwhere is also worth a read... as is anything else by him.

Neuromancer by William Gibson - The daddy of cyberpunk. Also worth reading are Mona Lisa Overdrive and Count Zero.

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson - Fantastic cyberpunk novel. Furiously paced, the plot hits the ground running and doesn't let up. Cool stuff.

Anything by Terry Pratchett. My favourites being the later Night Watch books (The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, Thud)... Sam Vimes is great. He might fit into your "isolation" and "knightly" stuff, actually.

Anything by Christopher Brookmyre. My favourites being Be My Enemy, The Sacred Art of Stealing, One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night and A Big Boy Did it and Ran Away.

I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan - God gives Satan a second chance to get back into heaven, provided he an live out a clean mortal life. Satan asks for a 40 day trial, which is what the book covers.

This could be a lot, I just realised I've been typing for a while...
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    The Black Corridor - Michael Moorcock. Deals with Space, Isolation, and (a lack of) Chivalry.
  • man_o_mule
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    forgot to mention a few by Maxx Barry.

Jennifer Government
    Syrup
    Company

all great but i think i like Syrup the most. They are all about the advertising world as that is what he got his degree in. They are all amazingly funny too. Syrup is about a guy who comes up with a cola named FUKK and forgets to patent it, so his roommate steals the idea.

Apparently all 3 of his books have been optioned by different movie studios. Might be seeing some movies soon.
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Some of my favorites:

American Gods - Neil Gaiman
    Sick Puppy - Carl Hiaasen
    Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams
    Villa Incognito - Tom Robbins
    Skinny Legs and All - Tom Robbins
    The Sex Lives of Cannibals - J. Maarten Troost

I'm not big into reading sci-fi. I like the fun fiction reads. Quirky adventure, intelligent dialogue, good characters, etc.
  • StJoris
    I second Pullman, plain awesome.
    Some books I read lately that I thought were good:

Life of Pi - Yann Martel
    Cradle-to-cradle - William McDonough & Michael Braungart (not a novel, and for designers, but I guess it might be interesting for others too)
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18

too true -- if he finishes the series as well as he started, martin is likely to have the best fantasy series ever written under his belt.
    Hoorah, I enjoy brutal descriptions.
    I mean, i'm not a violent person but I love descriptive violence in novels, although vague descriptions can be just as effective if done properly

the Martin books are 'brutal' simply because of how realistically dark the world is. No one is a superpure good knight, and there are no flawless maidens or downright superevil badguys. Everyone is a 'shade of gray', and a lot of the plot reflects that.
  • Ozymandias
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    a lot of great books have already been mentioned, so I'll try to throw some new ones in:

House of Leaves-Mark Z. Danielewksi(i think his last name is spelled right, this book is AMAZING)
    Flyboys/Flags of our Fathers-James Bradley
    Survivor-Chuck Palahnuk
    Inferno-Dante Alighieri
    Only Revolutions-Mark Z. Danielewski
    Against All Odds-Can't remember the author, but its about the men of the USS Indianapolis...powerful
    Baltimore, or the steadfast tin soldier and the vampire bat-Mike Mignola
    The Prince-Machiavelli
    War and Peace-the longest damn book EVER, but he fleshes out the characters better than any other writer I've read
    The Universe in a Nutshell-Stephen Hawking
    The Theory of Relativity-Einstein
    The Art of War-Sun Tzu(cliche I know, but its truly an incredible wealth of tactical knowledge)
    The Tao Te Ching-Lao Tzu
    The Dhammapadda
    The Ramayana
    The Mahabarata
    The Bhagivad Gita

I could probably keep going for far too long, so I'll stop here. Great thread by the way, I've been in need of a new book.
  • Steviant
    I'm reading Battle Royale by Koushun Takami at the moment. It's horrifically violent, utterly heartbreaking and I can't put it down.

Other books I'd recommend off the top of my head include World War Z by Max Brooks, Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, American Gods and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, The Stand by Stephen King, Night Watch by Terry Pratchett, and about a billion others that aren't on my bookshelf in front of me so I can't recall them now :D.
  • hobodactyl
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Shiiiiiiiiit I gotta start reading in high gear like I used to so I can check some of these out before I forget :D
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    All of the books by Robert Heinlein, the greatest science fiction writer ever. basically because his stories aren't about everything being so sci-fi, but about people living in a sci-fi world. Stranger in a stange land is an absolute must.

also the books of "the sword of truth" series by Terry Goodkind. they are entertaining, gross and very very cool :D.
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I go with anything by Terry Pratchett too. Mort is my favorite. A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking is another book I can recommend.
  • Irreal
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Books I've recently read and enjoyed. I really should read a lot more but I tend to jump from book to book. Some I finish some I don't.

Scar Night by Alan Campbell
    The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski
    Deadhouse Gate by Steven Erikkson
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    kite wrote: »
    last couple of books i read were really good - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke - brilliant pseudo historical novel about two magicians in the 19th century

Yes indeed, the characters are awesome, and while it does get a bit slow now and then, the end is great and there are some really outstanding sections.

For sci-fi/fantasy, I am a big fan of anything by Isaac Asimov (his short stories are amazing, some really cool ideas in them), Terry Pratchett and Alistair Reynolds.

Reading "Innumeracy" by John Allen Paulos at the moment, it's a bit of an older book about how people don't really understand maths, and how this affects their lives and decisions (usually negatively) ... some very interesting logic puzzles and statistical analyses, and a bunch of fun facts.

Also I recently read Derren Brown's "Tricks of the Mind", I wasn't expecting it to be all that great, but it's actually quite hilarious, and contains some very interesting information. He's a bloody good writer, IMHO.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    harry harrison - stainless steel rat.
  • Mister Sentient
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Three recommendations that spring to mind...

The Name of The Rose by Umberto Eco
    The Stars My Destination (aka Tiger, Tiger) by Alfred Bester
    Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz wrote: »
    harry harrison - stainless steel rat.

i just finished the first three of those novellas. They're over-the-top, super-heist-filled-silly fun. Harrison's writing is pretty easy to read and enjoyable, though you never do feel like de-gritz is in any real danger. Fun stuff.
  • Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Talon wrote: »
    His Dark Materials Trilogy by Phillip Pullman - It's entirely possible that these are the best books ever written. Definitely deals with your isolation topic. (Trlogy consists of Northern Lights - or The Golden Compass in the US, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass).

Omg thank you yes... so amazing. Took me so long to recover from reading this one, but in a good way... uh, I think :P

You might want to try the Dan Brown books Angels & Demons, and The Da Vinci Code. Not my favourite books ever, but a lot of people really enjoy them and they're a definite page turner that keeps you on your toes :P

If you want to check out fantasy, other than the great stuff mentioned already, I'm a big fan of the Wheel of Time series. The earlier books are the best, but it's interesting all through. The last book should come out soon, but was delayed due to the sad death of the author :( He left behind notes and now someone else is completing the books in his stead.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'm waiting for Brisingr next week :o
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    my recent favorite is Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield. Truly epic novel about the battle of Thermopylae with exhaustive research providing a rich historical backdrop for a truly amazing piece of historical fiction. Fuck 300, a movie based on this book would be the ultimate epic.
  • Farfarer
    Yeah, I couldn't read any other book for about a month after finishing HDM.
    Mezz wrote: »
    You might want to try the Dan Brown books Angels & Demons, and The Da Vinci Code. Not my favourite books ever, but a lot of people really enjoy them and they're a definite page turner that keeps you on your toes :P
    Oh man, Da Vinci Code was awful. It's a book written for idiots to make them think they're intelligent. Digital Fortress, too. I've not read Angels & Demons, but I can't see it being much better :/
  • AnimeAngel
    The Otherland Series by Tad Williams is a great Sci-fi/tech fantasy
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    His Dark Materials trilogy was amazing, I need to re-read it one of these days.

The Da Vinci Code was great while I was reading it, but as soon as I was finished and put it down I got one of those, "oh wait, what the hell was that about?" moments.

Right now I'm enjoying Fritz Leiber's stories about Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. Some really great, enjoyable fantasy that doesn't try to overcomplicate things, and brings me back to the days when I used to geek out at pen and paper RPG's around a table with my friends :) I simply fall in love with these two adventurers while I'm reading the stories, as they could essentially be yourself, or someone you know.

EDIT: Oh, it should be mentioned that Leiber wrote the first story about Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser in 1939. So if you want to go back to the origins of todays modern fantasy stories, here is where you want to go.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    nice pick, east! fafhrd and the gray mouser books are pretty fun--a coworker let me borrow a book with a few of the first short stories in them. They're set in a fantasy world more in line with Conan than Tolkien, which was refreshing. Very lush writing :)
  • TheWinterLord
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I see a lot of people not in the industry who really wants to get a job and there is a book that if you read it it will inspire you and motivate you. Paulo Coelho´s The alchemist. Im not sure if thats the name but it is what its called in swedish (translated to english) It is pretty famous and maybe someone else mentioned it before... Yeh il get back to this thread when I read the book im on now.

Oh it will motivate you to do whatever ur goal is.. my goal was to get into the games industry...
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Anything by Tom Robbins. Kinda a philosophical novelist. Still Life With Woodpecker was the first one that I read that got me into him.

I dig Dean Koontz myself when it comes to horror/thriller stuff. Fear Nothing, Odd Thomas, Watchers, Cold Fire, all good books.
  • Pedro Amorim
    I see a lot of people not in the industry who really wants to get a job and there is a book that if you read it it will inspire you and motivate you. Paulo Coelhe´s The alchemist. Im not sure if thats the name but it is what its called in swedish (translated to english) It is pretty famous and maybe someone else mentioned it before... Yeh il get back to this thread when I read the book im on now.

Oh it will motivate you to do whatever ur goal is.. my goal was to get into the games industry...

Yeah. It's called Paulo Coelho. He's a brazilian writer. Never read any of his books. Infact the last book i read was about a jornalist who infiltrates the spanish nazi movement and then wrote about it. Dont remembver the name.

Another book that i read and that i enjoyed was Ishamel by Daniel Quin. I think. it was a long time ago, i only know that i loved the fucking book. It was the book that made me question my faith and since then im a non beliver.
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    AnimeAngel wrote: »
    The Otherland Series by Tad Williams is a great Sci-fi/tech fantasy
    aha, my cousin just recommended me that series yesterday, because it deals heavily with an idea i'm toying around with.

At this point in time, i'm reading the book Grendel, which is actually extremely entertaining for some reason.
    Maybe it's when the monster tips an invisible hat towards the trees, or gives a cloud the finger.
    Not sure, but i'm 5 chapters in and enjoying it immensely.
  • Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Talon wrote: »
    Yeah, I couldn't read any other book for about a month after finishing HDM.

Oh man, Da Vinci Code was awful. It's a book written for idiots to make them think they're intelligent. Digital Fortress, too. I've not read Angels & Demons, but I can't see it being much better :/

Yeah... right after I finished reading it I picked up the Chronicles of Narnia. Um... BAD IDEA, since I never read it as a child, which is when I think it has to be read. I think that series aged really poorly. But maybe it's just me, and not the blatant racism and forced values of needing to be a good Christian or not go to heaven and suffer in hell and all.
    lol and after HDM... um... well, you can see why a book not-too-subtely preaching Christianity is a pretty harsh contrast :P

Angels & Demons is better, but you probably won't like it much more than the others.
    lol And I so agree with you East... after I was done, I was like, uh-huh, sure, I believe that plot-twist ending...
    I suggested them because they're the type of reads you breeze right through :P
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    General tales of ordinary madness + new tales of ordinary madness - Charles Bukowski
    1984 - George Orwell
    Valis - Philip K. Dick
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Not specific books but authors that I go back to time and time again:

William Burroughs - I enjoy his less "cut up" stuff the best - Naked Lunch is one of my favourite books ever although I can understand why some people might not be into it.

Philip K Dick - Went from being a fairly generic pulp sci-fi writer to producing Valis - a rumination on the nature of reality, God, identityand paranoia among a myriad of other subjects after he believes a laser beam was beamed onto his head imparting secret and mystical information - the sense of very detached and logical glances into his personal confusion makes his books still seem all the more real and fresh today.

Chuck Palahniuk - Best known for Fight Club. Sure his characters and themes may be pretty similar from book to book but I don't know of anybody else who writes books like him.