Home General Discussion

Bungie Teaser Trailer

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
Anyone else check this out. I just booted up my 360 and it told me there was this teaser at bungie.net.

I don't get it.

I hate teasers.

Replies

• salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another Halo? or something similar
  • Rens
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    I was hoping for Pimps at Sea
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the Halo 3 logo pops in there, so maybe it's DLC - new levels? Doesn't really look like the Halo universe though. Weird.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    odst expansion maybe?
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just noticed the TRAXUS logo, so yeah - Earth, Halo universe and the tag line 'Prepare to Drop'. I think you're right, eld: Orbital Drop Shock Troopers. Cool.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sit. humm... nope can't do that.
    Walk on your back legs. humm... nope can't do that.
    Prance around. humm... nope can't do that.
    oh wait I know, make a halo game! There we go! There's your one trick. Whooos a good pony? You are, yes you are...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Now now, Myth wasn't a bad trick. Too bad we'll never never see a modernised version of that.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »
    oh wait I know, make a halo game! There we go! There's your one trick. Whooos a good pony? You are, yes you are...

I don't see the point in deriding a company continuing a successful franchise.

It's kind of what businesses do.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I am thinking single player DLC for Halo 3
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I heard rumors a little while back about a squad based halo game, it would be sweet if it's a DLC add-on but I'd still buy it if it's a full fledged game.

Hello my name is Justin and I used to be a Halo hater.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17

Yeah, they also made two myth games! And three marathon games! When will this end!?

Bungie are total sellouts and only make cheap, low quality games for those xbots.

As for the trailers, looks interesting. Wasn't new mombasa already pretty much destroyed? I'm assuming that either places this right at the start of halo 2 or a little bit in the future after halo 3? A game about the ODST's would be cool -- something about them and their stereotypical black combat armor has always struck me as ridiculously cool.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I read somewhere that they want to make it a much more grittier game... I would be interested in that, but I am too somewhat of a Halo Hater, I could never get into it.

But we'll see, maybe its Gears of War "Halo-ized" wouldn't that be just peachy :|
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Thats one neat animated storyboard they got there, cooool beans.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    ... Do you hear that?

... I think thats the sound of a river of money.

... Wow look at the size of that river, where is it coming from?

... That son is all the money that can be made from a little franchise called the halo universe.

... Wow! Can we have some of that?

... Sure we just have to sell our souls, or work for bungie.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't blame Bungie for being cautious and sticking to what sells. Everyone should remember what a turd Oni was and how risky new IP can be. But it's a smart business plan to NOT put all of your eggs in one basket and diversify.

Someday (like the housing market) the Halo bubble will burst. If they are smart and have a back up plan they can survive and move forward, or they can fade in obsurity like Per pointed out.

Also "Bungie" did make a bunch of other games in the early 90's but most of those people have moved on. What we have today is a Halo playdoh factory. You can change the aliens from green to purple but its still the same. Oni wasn't even a departure. It was like Master Chief the early years, back when he knew hand to hand combat was more then "pistol butt to the head".

I totally understand why they're sticking to Halo, and I really want to see them continue to make money hand over fist. But they need to look down the road and start preparing now.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally understand why they're sticking to Halo, but don't pass them off as a company that can do so much more. Maybe they can, they still have yet to prove it.

You're right. Once you clear the hurdle of basic logic that oni was a game about hand to hand combat and halo is a first person shooter they're exactly the same!

I've been going about this all wrong. Instead of comparing halo to other games, i should just abandon all reason and declare that other games are halo, simply reskinned!

God damn, no wonder spore disappointed so many people. It's teh halos all over again!

edit -- wanna throw in the mention that oni came out before halo, and halo was yet another risky new IP. Sarcasm aside, you do seem completely lost on that fact.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    edit -- wanna throw in the mention that oni came out before halo, and halo was yet another risky new IP. Sarcasm aside, you do seem completely lost on that fact.

Look at the core concept and story of Oni and you'll get what I'm talking about. Sure its a big stretch to say Oni came from Halo but thats not what I'm saying. You mean to tell me that with Oni and Marathon floating around Halo was a total departure from anything they had ever done? It was a refinement of everything they had done right in previous games.

They're a great company but lets not get tripped up by thinking they can do much more then crank out Halo-esk games, that's very rabid fanboi-ism. They haven't proven that yet, and if they aren't careful they'll loose their window to do so. Despite your prepared halo fanboi rhetoric I do want to see Bungie succeed and keep going, its why I want to see them branch out and do something new.

They need to do it before the market and their talent move on to greener pastures. Artists are strange folk and most don't like doing the same thing over and over again. Some do, but that doesn't mean the market will support it forever. Halo bubble will burst, like any francise, they need to be ready.

Of course all the foaming at the mouth halo nuts like yourself can take a giant leap off a tall cliff fallowed by a brief encounter with something pointy at the bottom...
    You're right. Once you clear the hurdle of basic logic that oni was a game about hand to hand combat and halo is a first person shooter they're exactly the same!
    I guess you never played Oni? Oni was a 3rd person shooter, if you stuck to hand to hand you where pretty much screwed. You where limited to the number of guns you could carry, something Halo got knocked for when it first came out. Halo's levels suffer from the same problems Oni's did, wash rinse repeat gameplay and recycled levels.
    MC woke up much like Oni did, as an orphaned memeber of an elite fighting force. Even the motocross gear is the same...
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    another retarded ugly sci fi game
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My oni disk is like 5 feet away from me. Did you play it? You spend the entire game unlocking hand to hand moves, you can carry iirc one weapon at any given time and they had very limited ammo. Basically just some destruction after a good disarm. And all of the bossfights were based on hand to hand.

(also the main character is not named 'Oni.')

I am not a big halo fan, easily my least favorite 360 game.

Bungie was, prior tp halo, most famous for Myth, a Realtime Tactics series. They made he first two, acquisition by microsoft left the third in the hands of Take Two. Look up reviews if you'd like, or grab the old myth demo. If you wanted to accuse them of being a one trick pony back when they were pitching the original HALO -- a myth style rts, just sci fi -- i'd have said you had a pretty solid argument.

Naturally, anyway, simply because i am decently educated on the subject, i am a foaming at the mouth halo fan and the only solution is suicide. Truly sir you are a master of witty discourse. I am humbled.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they are only recently independent, cut them some slack, why risk it all with something unproven when they could just print some money instead. Since Microsoft owns the Halo IP I would be surprised if they weren't developing something new.

How many battlefields did it take before DICE decided to make Mirror's Edge?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My oni disk is like 5 feet away from me. Did you play it? (also the main character is not named 'Oni.')
    I played the first few levels. Got a gun and got borred with the repetition.

It still doesn't change much of what I compaired. Bungie updated the marathon universe for halo (more like continued it) and changed (insert long ass anime name here) to be Master Chief. Have you looked at the two side by side? Checked out their boots, checked out their arm armor? Same crap different color, motocross gear. Check out their back stories. Hardly ground breaking or new.
    If you wanted to accuse them of being a one trick pony back when they were pitching the original HALO -- a myth style rts, just sci fi -- i'd have said you had a pretty solid argument.
    So you're trying to say that they weren't updating Marathon and calling it Halo? You might want to read this:
    http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=19
    Still want to call Halo new and ground breaking IP?

Myth, those were the days when they did what they wanted reguardless of the genre are the days I miss. I hate to see any developer have their creativity squashed and turned into a factory.
    Like I've said a few times, I don't blame them for riding the cash cow. But they should be working on a back up plan if they aren't already. If they wait until the halo bubble bursts to start working on something new, its too late.

I guess its reasonable to assume that they need to ride halo a little while longer to scrape up the cash, and well because the fans demand it.
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't mind another Halo game. They're usually quite fun, until of course you have to play against the kid who plays the game non-stop and knows every glitch, every spawn point, etc.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you're trying to say that they weren't updating Marathon and calling it Halo? You might want to read this:.

Yes.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN9vO_gRzoI[/ame]

They threw in the marathon stuff later. Which is awesome, good too see creativity and respecting their old IPs.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Haha so much debate for a teaser, it'd be hilarious if it was just a map pack and they had made this from concepts for the map(s).
  • VikingJim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you look closely there is a quick shot of a 1st person view holding some sort of weapon when standing on the ground. the screen flickers with static and interference, but still somewhat distinguishable. i need more info on this game before i make any brash desicions. im a former halo hater as well fellows, group sessions are thurs nights with tea.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow cool so they borrowed from Marathon, Oni, and Myth...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow cool so they borrowed from Marathon, Oni, and Myth...

The game has nothing in common with oni, if you had actually played it you'd know that.

Anyway strawmen are pretty cool, man, thanks for bringing plenty.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll say it for the 3rd time. Master Chief is a male version of the Oni chick. Take a look at the boots, the arm armor and the rest of the lame ass motocross gear.

Also its not like Oni was all that original. Pretty much a rip of Ghost in the shell.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll say it for the 3rd time. Master Chief is a male version of the Oni chick. Take a look at the boots, the arm armor and the rest of the lame ass motocross gear.

Ahh, my mistake again. I keep forgetting that you didn't play the game -- the main character in Oni wears quite a few different outfits throughought it, none in specific had really stuck in my mind.

I suppose you mean this one?
    http://www.bungie.net/images/games/oni/wallpapers/oni_800.jpg

I'm afraid you're completely wrong, there's almost nothing in common between them
    http://www.quizilla.com/user_images/T/TH/THE/TheChaseOfSpades/1129612448_halo1.jpg

Which makes sense, i don't think they had the same lead developer or concept artists.

but please, don't let that get in the way of your derailing this thread and calling everyone who enjoys halo or respects bungie as even a competent developer a mindless fanboy. :)
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice vid Suprore, thanks!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suprore, your right no need to keep derailing the thread with a debate we've had 5-6 times already. Check your PM.
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Looks like a new DLC campaign, taking place around the events of Halo 2.

Some of you didn't really LOOK at the teaser, did you? You just... watched it. It's blatantly obvious that the city is New Mombasa as we see signs that say it throughout the whole thing, as well as the giant TRAXUS sign. The famous space elevator is in the background, and in one clip you can see a Covenant cruiser slowly drifting to the left of it. That, along with the AI controlling the city declaring a successful evacuation, makes it clear that we're watching Regret's initial invasion of Earth at the beginning of Halo 2. The drop pods and the tagline suggests we'll be playing as Orbital Drop Shock Troopers, which isn't a bad idea as people love those guys. People were so loud with their love for them that Bungie had to include an ODST helmet for use in Halo 3's multiplayer.

On top of that, the invasion of New Mombasa seems to be a popular thing to make sidestories out of. There was the comic thingy about some guy who lived there before the invasion, and there was the little bonus movie called A Day at the Beach that explained what happened with the second Pelican we see crash at the intro to the level.

The most important question is: When will we find out for sure, and when will we get it? Bungie love not telling people about that stuff.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Myth, those were the days when they did what they wanted reguardless of the genre are the days I miss. I hate to see any developer have their creativity squashed and turned into a factory.
    Like I've said a few times, I don't blame them for riding the cash cow. But they should be working on a back up plan if they aren't already. If they wait until the halo bubble bursts to start working on something new, its too late.

I guess its reasonable to assume that they need to ride halo a little while longer to scrape up the cash, and well because the fans demand it.
    They're a great company but lets not get tripped up by thinking they can do much more then crank out Halo-esk games, that's very rabid fanboi-ism. They haven't proven that yet, and if they aren't careful they'll loose their window to do so. Despite your prepared halo fanboi rhetoric I do want to see Bungie succeed and keep going, its why I want to see them branch out and do something new.

They need to do it before the market and their talent move on to greener pastures. Artists are strange folk and most don't like doing the same thing over and over again. Some do, but that doesn't mean the market will support it forever. Halo bubble will burst, like any francise, they need to be ready.

Seriously, what the fuck are those millionaires at Bungie thinking? What a bunch of fucking retards! You, my friend, have it figured out. Which business school did you attend? Harvard? Let me grab your cell # so that I can forward it to the directors of Bungie while they are on cruising on their luxury yacht.
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic wrote: »
    Seriously, what the fuck are those millionaires at Bungie thinking? What a bunch of fucking retards! You, my friend, have it figured out. Which business school did you attend? Harvard? Let me grab your cell # so that I can forward it to the directors of Bungie while they are on cruising on their luxury yacht.

:D
    Sarcasm.jpg
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    sonic wrote: »

Hahahah! Great sarcastic response.

Vig, don't hate, congratulate.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    not enough orbital drop shock troopers in this thread!

odst1.jpg
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    So much venom in this thread...

There are many other 'one trick ponies' in this industry.. many of whom score 9/10 and 10/10 on reviews every time and people harp on their innovation when it's the same stuff as before just shinier graphics.

Cross-pollination of ideas and concepts within the same company?! Oh noes! How could they do such a thing?! -_-

I'm actually interested in seeing something from a non-MC perspective.
  • thatnumpty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig...

pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg

really.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately I can't talk about any future projects HI may or may not have in the works. My experience at HI is a major driving factor in my comments/concern about diversifying a studios portfolio and not waiting until the franchise collapses before looking into new things.

Considering the way we're structured it works in our favor very very well, all of HI's employees. We don't have a toxic relationship with a publisher to deal with and we've been very successful doing what we do.
    http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53799
    http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54017

With 20 going on 21 games from my studio with the same IP I realize how important it is for a studio to have a diversified portfolio. We're also the exception not the rule when it comes to working with the same IP. We've managed to pick up steam as we've gone on.

As for everyone wanting to turn me into a halo hater, that's cool I don't mind being the punching bag, but you really should read what I posted instead of just reaching into the Anti Halo Hate bag for standard stock replies.

Its more out of concern for Bungie's health in the long haul and wanting to see them truly branch out. I don't think riding one IP into the ground is a solid plan, a lot of studios have done it and end up going under. Most of the big developers have started to diversify, Bungie should do the same, until then they're success is off of Halo and they're stuck being called a one trick pony. It doesn't mean they suck at what they do, but they haven't proven they can do much else, yet.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing is, your concern is ill founded.
    Halo is an example of bungie (a typecast realtime strategy developer) diversifying. Nobody really remembered them for Mac games until halo came out, it was myth that made them a modern success.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, Myth put them on the radar. Being a huge mac developer, gave MS a chance to slap mac in the face, bolster the xbox and put a proven dev in their pocket. So it wasn't all about past success and they would never have been as big if they hadn't been picked up at the time they did.

I guess ID, Epic and dozens of other studios not willing to risk their future on the popularity of one franchise is total BS?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually per that analogy sucks, Coca Cola makes money off of a lot of other types of products.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you saying Bungie should be putting out episodic content?

Coke and Halo are consumed in very different ways. "Coke is a renewable source of income" If you want more Coke you have to buy more. If you want more Halo you're going to wait a long time or play the last installment wait too long and it hurts profits. People aren't paying per play but they are paying per can.

The longer the game is from launch the higher the chances that they won't buy a new copy but a used. No one sells used coke...

the price point of games dips off at some point the older it gets. Coke does not...

Between installments the record breaking profits drop off. With Coke its a steady stream of cash from constant sales.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vig --

dew-gamefuel.jpg

thread over.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I want to drink the master chEEEf!!