Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Classwork Models - ArchVile125

Okay, so this is my first post on Polycount since way back in the golden days of Quake 3 Arena. Anyway, I'm going to school for a Bachelors in game Art and Design and I want to get some feedback on some props I made for class. In class feedback is good, but to me, it's always best to get as much feedback as I can.

These were all my first real attempts at game props and within the last couple of months I really made a lot of progress. I went from starting the class with only some modeling experience, and no real idea how to texture or unwrap. I look back on my first model in the class and look at the texture job and almost feel embarrassed about it now. But that's okay, because I made some big improvements with each prop.

I'm posting my work in the order in which I did them, and I'm even including that first prop, because feedback is feedback.

Our class did a crossover with the Advanced Game Prototyping class, and all of these props, with the exception of the first one, were used for a game prototype using the Unreal 3 engine.

Anyway, I appreciate any and all feedback anyone may have. Being that these are the first four props I've made, I never expected I was going to produce brilliant work, and since I'm just starting out I'm not, I won't feel ashamed to get negative feedback. I need the feedback so that someday I actually can produce brilliant work. :)

Mecharm_render.jpg

Mecharm_wire.jpg

Sandbags_render.jpg

Sandbags_wire.jpg

Sandbags_texture.jpg

Table_render.jpg

Table_wire.jpg

Table_texture.jpg

Hammer_render.jpg

Hammer_wire.jpg

Hammer_texture.jpg

Replies

• Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like everything...
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the colors are to much pushed to much contrast hardly soft harmonics- are you perhaps working on a TFT? I see mainly blue, red and yellow.
  • ArchVile125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you mean my screen, then yeah, I'm using a Samsung 22" widescreen, almost a year old, this December. I have one more prop to complete for class and then afterwards I have a one week break from class. During the breaks, I always find something to spend time working on and for this break, I plan to just try and push out as many game props as I can. Since a weeks isn't too long, it should be a good way for me to keep busy and complete multiple, smaller projects. Since those won't be part of an assignment, I'll be doing things with more variety and style, though probably sticking to real-worl props, rather than sci-fi or fantasy stuff. But I'll experiment with different things.

And just for fun, here are a few things I did in my introductary 3D class. This was the first, formal 3D class I took, and because the first one is shared with media arts and animation students, there was no polygon limit, as long as the polygons were put to some good use. Since I figured this would be my one and only time to work without any kind of limit, I went a bit nuts.

A character I made. It kinda looks like the Dopefish, but a little more vicious :)
    Fleshripper.jpg

And a scene environment we had to do for our final. I took a lot of inspiration from the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland, and tried to capture a lot of that "visual-haunted feel" that the ride does so well. You'll notice that the reliefs have similar little eyes, faces, and skull shapes that those familiar with the ride will probably notice. I had fun researching this, because I live right down the street from Disneyland and have an annual pass, so I went and rode the ride about 6 - 8 times in a row.

Haunted_Foyer_shot1.jpg

Haunted_Foyer_shot3.jpg

Haunted_Foyer_shot4.jpg

Haunted_Foyer_shot6.jpg

Haunted_Foyer_shot11.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I like the details on the stairs - reminds me of residentEvil 1 - keep it up
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    It looks pretty good. I assume you aren't aiming for in-game stuff since most of your stuff got way too many polygons. Also a lot of the normal maps are pretty much not used at all. You could cut quite a few polies if you baked it down to the normal map instead.

- The monitor model is so-so. Not looking interesting at all and it seems to have some uv distribution problems.

- Sandbags.. well it looks like some kind of bags but they don't really look too stable

- Hammer and entable are nice aside from previously mentioned problems on other models.

- The house model looks pretty good I think. Hmm.. and I think there needs to be more of those bat decorations :)
  • ArchVile125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to see I got some responses.

Kawe
    Yeah, the environments and the "Flesh Ripper" character, in their current state, aren't anywhere near suitable for a game right now. Those were assignments without any restrictions. I mostly just posted those to get style feedback, but since this is a game art forum, that may have been a bit misleading to post those (unless, of course, I was planning to use them as old-skool Resident Evil style pre-rendered backgrounds). My next quarter I'm taking a intro level design class which will be making levels for Unreal 3, and those will be a little more reasonable for gaming. Same thing with character modeling and rigging, which I'll be taking next as well.

I get how you feel about the monitor, and i feel the same way. Going back and looking at it (I haven't touched or modified it since I first created it) and the model actually isn't too bad, if not maybe a little heavy on the edge loops (which shouldn't be too hard to fix) I may be able to just start from scratch on the UV unwrap, create a new texture map set for it and possibly have something more interesting.

I also see what you mean about the bags. Maybe a little adjustments can make those look a little more sturdy.

@renderhjs
    LoL. Thanks. I've actually had some other people say that it reminded them a bit of Resident Evil as well (specifically the RE1 remake on the GCN). I have a copy of the remake but haven't even played it yet, but some people linked me some screenshots, and I see what everyone means. I suppse that means I'm on some kind of right track then. :)