Home General Discussion

Am I stealing? Borrowing?....What did I do!?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bearkub polycounter lvl 18
We have had a couple threads around recently dealing with the grey-area of stealing, borrowing, inspiration....etc of art from other people. I am starting this thread up in hopes of getting input from some of the more seasoned artists and questions from some of the newer people how to go about properly contacting a current artist or former artist for permission to use their work and where the lines are between theft, inspiration...on and on.

All comments must be civil and geared towards the discussion. Any finger pointing, accusational commentary, dragging up of old drama, etc will get your post deleted as well as gain you an infraction. This thread is meant to help those who think they did right yet get accused of theft and those who are wondering where the line really is.

Hope this gains some good discussion and please, STAY CIVIL.

Replies

• odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    As an artist I've had shit loads of things stolen. One guy even took a mod I worked on, changed the logo, removed all our names from the credits and released it himself.

Its not fair when people take your work and don’t give a toss about you or any effort you might of put into it.

The amazing thing is I'm a very relaxed guy, and most of the time if somebody wants to use my work for something, I let them, provided they still "Thank" me in the readme some place.

But when you take somebody else’s work and don’t give a toss about the author, be in either in the mod scene or professional, you deserve to be laughed at and should be ashamed imo.

"IMO" don't ever use somebody else’s work unless you talk to them FIRST. Never ASSUME that the people will let you and always do your best to find out if its ok. If you cant get in touch, just forget about using it and look elsewhere.

Its better to be safe than sorry.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's easier and less of a legal nightmare to make your own stuff from scratch. If you're going to use things like photos, take them yourself, or get them from VERY well documented sites.

When it comes to inspiration and reference I don't think its stealing to get ideas from other peoples work but the line is crossed at ctrl-c, ctrl-v. I think its all to easy to barrow "ideas" when dealing with characters and can be considered stealing much more easily.

With concern to environments I think its near impossible to detail things without consulting referance. Most of the time that kind of ref comes from real world objects and not really other artists work, unless you're looking to imiate a particular style.

So quick recap. viewing ref is ok, but never include it in your work. Don't knowingly copy another artist unless that is the goal. And CYA whenver possible.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Meh, I'll rip photos for textures whenever I find one that is suitable. CGTextures, Flickr, Google Images, etc. I couldn't care less. I just make sure I make sweet 2D love to it enough that its no longer recognizable as the original photo. Simply ripping a photograph and slapping it in as a texture is lame & wrong. But fuckin' it right up to make your own is awesome & right*. :)

I've also been working from concepts I found online that are not my own, nor am I asking the artist for permission. If I were going to do it for financial gain I would definitely ask before making it, but as it stands its just for me to do some shit for my portfolio without having to waste time designing everything about what I want to make.

I do, however, suppose that brings up the issue of using concept artwork to better my portfolio. Which in turn is bettering my life if i get a new sweet job with the work I did. Since I used someone elses concept to do that work for my portfolio and land that job. To me, though, the artist was credited and I made it 'my own'. It's hardly ever a direct rip.

Good thread.

*IMO
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    When it comes to this industry I think it inevitably bites you in the ass. Everyone knows a good amount of people, and if you're copying work while on a project it can have serious legal ramifications that you shouldn't mess with. If you can't alter something enough that it you can truly call it yours, you aren't worth a paycheck.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    One of the reasons why i don't show many works, is because i have fear of plagiarism. From inspiration to plagiarism there is a very very short distance. The Internet is a very very bad place to show original things. People will copy what they like and they will imitate/plagiate the design doing it with their style. A sad reality. I personally hate to do what all people do, that's why i do "monsters" or "creatures".

What I mainly like to do, is to draw, and not modeling as many here may think. And due to my "fear", i don't show any image of my skeetch book, drawings, etc. I do not want they steal my ideas and designs.

Some works of mine were used as wallpapers in some cell phones portals without my permission (the plant i did is one of them). I quickly call them to remove my work. Are things that happens constantly, and are things we can't do much against them.

For textures, i always use my camera to grab photos. I use the internet and websites like pbase, for references. The textures found on the internet are not very original, they are used by too many people. I've seen the same texture used over and over again, and the same library models too.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    what are these infractions you speak of ??? will I have deformed children ?
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I understand that flat-out stealing an idea or even an entire piece is shitty, but Blaizer I don't understand not sharing a sketchbook because people may get ideas from you? I think if you're making anything worthwhile people can't really steal your stuff without it being obvious.

I guess if you're making something that just looks totally original and hasn't been seen before it could be a good idea to not show it off until you have enough to say "this is mine," but there are very few examples of that I'd say.

However, I'm not trying to defend people just stealing stuff flat-out; that's crap that people were just using your works as cell phone wallpapers without permission, but that's actually illegal.

It goes back to "it depends" in a lot of situations. I got the basic idea for the look of a comic I made from Sin City, but it looked significantly different. I also did some mock-ups of how it could look as a game, and they're all on my site. Recently that game "Mad World" was shown and it looks very similar to what I was thinking for the game, but I don't think they saw my site and thought "let's steal that idea!" And even if they did, they're doing a lot more with it than I have.

Just rambling mostly, but I think you shouldn't literally just steal people's work or parts of it, but otherwise if you're inspired by something then I don't think that's stealing it.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    It saddens me that someone wouldn't share their work for fear of it being stolen. Isn't that letting the terrorists win?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness wrote: »
    what are these infractions you speak of ??? will I have deformed children ?
    No, they would be the standard mutant spawnlings that you're accustomed to hatching. =P
    Ferg wrote: »
    It saddens me that someone wouldn't share their work for fear of it being stolen. Isn't that letting the terrorists win?
    hahaha that should be on a bumper sticker.

Bromel & Brown, you might want to be a touch more careful with the flickr/google images. Here we have to document what site it came from and who owns it before we can begin to manipulate it. For a while we had a house rule that if you could change it enough to be indistinguishable from the original we didn't need the documentation to back it up but that changed when we switched law firms (and someone asked). Personally I wouldn't ask and I'd just keep doing what you're doing, just don't slack it and start butchering things (I don't think its in your DNA).

If it really is indistinguishable then it shouldn't matter. But technically it does, and its the technicalities that people look to exploit when they're after large sums of money that's not actually theirs. Its the technical holes the business end looks to plug, whenever called upon... (so just don't call on them).
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    For an example: I would consider this stealing because the focal points of the piece are still blatantly copy pasta, but it's borderline because it's the eyes/mouth really the only things that you can pull, but it's still obvious where they came from.

Now if the author would have maybe taken 3 minutes and colored them in via PS instead of using the actual photo, it might have been able to make it his own..

I agree with Adam you need to make sweet 2d love to them pixels, you can tell if you made sweet 2d love or you just fucked it.

Rip.jpg
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Yup there is a line in stealing and refferencing. I personally just look and use ideas, but never directly copy and use. An idea is open and free, someones tangible work that they interprited the idea and put it down is owned by that person. I wouldnt steal your milk from your fridge, dont steal my models and textures from my galleries. That being said, I will gladely give my models and textures to just about anyone that asks. I have no problem sharing for the sake of learning....If the person wants my models to plop into a mod or what have you, then I have a problem.

I like what Adam said up there about using images, then making sweet sweet 2d love to them....mmmmmm love.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    What I mainly like to do, is to draw, and not modeling as many here may think. And due to my "fear", i don't show any image of my skeetch book, drawings, etc. I do not want they steal my ideas and designs.

We all get stolen from Blaizer, while it's terrible and all that, it's even worse to live in fear of it like you seem to do. That's a rather sad attitude.

Let them plagiarize, what are you afraid of, copies will always be cheap copies and never as good as the original and god knows potential retards have hundreds of other great artists to steal from already. And the people that matter WILL know who did what and where it comes from.

I think artists that really worry about being stolen from need to do their best to be contactable, putting an URL or email in your images etc. Just because an image is originally on your website which happens to contain your email address, doesn't mean that image wont end in 2367 other places on the internet ultimately making it hard to trace back to the author.
    If your work gets still stolen for commercial purposes after this (there are bad people like that afterall) then just kindly as them to take it down.

As for borrowing, I think it has all been said again and again for years...

If you don't know, always try to contact the author first. Artists can be an overly sensitive lot and some will not see what you do as compliment.

If you get no reply, imo go ahead, give credit where credit is due, keep in mind the author might ask you to not use his work later. If he does so, no big deal, take the stuff down, if he's all pissed, tell him to chill and get a life. Hobby/fan/non commercial stuff isn't worth a change in anybody's blood pressure.

If you are an artist and the victim of plagiarism or straight stolen work, ask yourself if the whole issue is really worth any attention.
    I've had stuff from my website layout and skins and textures 'stolen' and used in other crappy goth websites or mods often enough over the past years... that stuff is all so below my 'care' radar, not worth a thought.
    My cat throws up regularly, now that's something that keeps me on my toes.

Ultimately, nothing is new in this world, we all draw inspiration, steal, plagiarize, idolize and borrow from somewhere and change and warp it to the muddy point we can tell ourselves we did something original. Where that muddy point or line is, varies for each one of us and again it varies with time and age. Best thing you can do is stay tolerant and openminded.

For commercial work, keep your hands off anybody else's work in general. Use it only for loose inspiration. You are not to make money of somebody else's work... that's simply not legal.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    My thoughts:

Is the ripped image necessary to create your piece?
    • If not, why use it at all?
    • If so, what does it matter how much it is resembled in the end if it was the catalyst that made your piece?
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    I've got a noobish question regarding basemeshes.

I'm not very good at modeling organic pieces, specifically human beings. However I've always wanted to take someones basemesh and sculpt it into something my own.

The question would be, is this condsidered a faux pa to include something like that in a portfolio or a website? I would include a note to credit the person with creating a basemesh or SDK. Also, to just make clear I wouldn't be useing basemeshes etc for any commercial work (should that ever come up).

Lastly, on my own personal note, I would hope that by the time I'm doing commercial work I would have the skills to make my own human basemeshes etc. But this was more of a general question because I see so many people use other peoples released bases.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    For a portfolio i'd put a picture of the basemesh itself, or if you modeled something off of someone else's concept then i would include a small version of the concept in your image too to give an idea of what you actually did or not.

I think it's save to say that if you used someone else's basemesh for portfolio work, your work isn't good enough yet to be in the portfolio.
    I don't think there's a problem with using a basemesh to do things tho, it's fun to bring in a good mesh into lets say ZBrush and be able to go nuts on it.

We're talking about having harmless fun, so whatever's fun for you and doesn't hurt others is good enough :p
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not much of a concept artist, so I usually model from concepts that have already been created but I always concact the original artist and ask if it's alright if I plan to show it (if I'm just arsing around for practice, I don't tend to bother) and I always credit them where possible. No one I've asked has told me to get lost, yet.

I always try and stay away from being too greedy when taking "inspiration" for stuff I do myself, though. Not out of copyright fears, just out of the fact that I'd know the idea wasn't totally mine.

Textures... I try and stick to what I have available that's completely legal, but like Brome said, if there's a result on google image that's perfect, I'll nab it. It's always modified heavily but... that's not really an excuse, just covering tracks. On the other hand, if someone took a photo or texture I'd made and edited it and used it as an overlay or something, I'd be cool with that.

I've had meshes stolen a couple of times before - which in itself is odd because I'd hapily release most of them on the basis that there's a "thanks" or "original author" somewhere, if asked. An odd one that happened recently was a bust basemesh for sculpting I released turned up in it's original unsculpted form as someone's model. I was at a bit of a loss as to whether it was theft or not... the vertices had been pushed around but the mesh was mine and they were claiming it as their own. I had released the mesh with the intention that people would use it to sculpt with and create their own thing, but I guess that also left the option open to just flat-out steal the mesh. Thankfully, the mesh was ancient and it sucked, but it got me thinking about this sort of stuff at least.

My take is mostly that if someone steals your work or ideas without credit and benefits from it to get a job or something... they're gonna get found out and it will end up biting them in the arse.
  • eriKa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know the legalities of using someone elses 2d character and putting a 3d model of it in your online portfolio?

It seems to me a lot of studios want to see that you can do work from someone elses concept. In this case I wanted to do a few characters from a european comic I'm a big fan of. I have TRIED to find out how to contact this person, and have been unable to so far.

There are several issues here. I want to use the characters to model off of, but only for my personal portfolio. I would give them full credit for design.

I want to include the concept art on the webpage with the model, but I believe it's illegal for me to place one of their images (either from a book or web) in a location that they did not approve.

If I found just the perfect image online, I doubt employers would really want to click back and forth between links to compare. I think there may be legal issues there as well.

I could just go find another artist to work off of, but there are many published artists that I would love to model in my portfolio.

Does anyone have more information about this kind of scenario?
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    DEVILS ADVOCATE:

So, here is my question, Dekard used the example of The Desforgeries guy, so where is the line between, "Inspired By" and Strait rip?
    I did a quick Drawing to illustrate:
    whereistheline.jpg
    If he had done something like this, Would he have been reamed as hard?
    It's obviously inspired by the Gladiator Image but, the pixels are fresh. Is this still Stealing?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    in a world where the bad was not existant and you used good as ref to make acceptable, then your acceptable would be good

but if the bad, was the orriginal and you did the acceptable one, then it would be close, and the acceptable would be bad.

hmmmm
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, I see what you mean.
    Pretend the "BAD" example did not exist, rather the artist made the "ACCEPTABLE" image using the "GOOD" ref.
    Is this Stealing?
    The "BAD" image is obviously stealing because he simply smudged the existing pixels around and tried to profit from another's hard work.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Singh, my opinion is that if you used good as a ref for acceptable, then it is fine. If you used Bad as the ref it is fan art (as it is all original). Hell, every man and his dog has made a superman or wolverene. The thing that makes bad SO bad is that it copy>paste>manipulate>smudge. Still with the acceptable, I think you would have to give credit to the original (eg, inspired by good) but yeah, as long as you gave credit where credit was due, and wasn't making money off it then I don't really see the problem with that. But what would I know, I'm not a lawyer.

One thing that does show is how easy a person with talent can create something some quickly :D
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh this is somewhat in the gray area here. But I think this is just as acceptable as painting from someone else's photo, as long as you change the style & proportions to make it your own. Probably OK as far as legality goes. But I'd still call you on it, pretty unoriginal, same coloring.
    adamBrome wrote: »
    I've also been working from concepts I found online that are not my own, nor am I asking the artist for permission. If I were going to do it for financial gain I would definitely ask before making it, but as it stands its just for me to do some shit for my portfolio without having to waste time designing everything about what I want to make.
    But are you crediting the concept artist, or are you just leaving it up to the viewer to assume you came up with the design yourself? if so, that's unacceptable IMO.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Always credit others if you have used their work as direct reference (for example, making a 3d model as a direct translation of someone else's design).
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    2005_the_hitchhickers_guide_to_the_.jpg

If the Vogons were used as inspiration, (which looks to be the case from my perspective), that wouldn't be considered theft. But blatantly copying and pasting parts of the Gladiator render into his own art, is what makes the author's work "theft."

I believe that if a person can site a specific piece that inspired their work of art, then they should do so. If inspiration comes from a number of places that happened to have gotten squished around in their mind over time, (becoming one rather nasty mess of useful and useless gunk), then it would probably be fine to skip the details. I suspect that confident artists would be proud to site their inspiration (if there was one), rather than leave it up to speculation.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    imo, if you did that then as long as you said 'inspired by blabla' then thats fine. if you just said 'i had this cool idea all by myself!' then thats a bit lame. still, wheres the line.. people have similar ideas all the time so it's possible you could create the acceptable without the original
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I think the line is drawn by the individual who created the original artwork, therefore if you have any kind of conscience nagging at you saying "this is a lot like the that artists work" then you should either :

A:ask the original artist wether its alright to show this publicly
    or
    B: clearly give credit to the inspiration whenever you show the artwork publicly.

If you actually want to use any part of someone elses artwork(as a layer or copy/paste, etc) in your artwork then I think it should be a given that you try to ask permission to do that.

thats my take on the issue anyway.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    A:ask the original artist wether its alright to show this publicly
    or
    B: clearly give credit to the inspiration whenever you show the artwork publicly.

If you actually want to use any part of someone elses artwork(as a layer or copy/paste, etc) in your artwork then I think it should be a given that you try to ask permission to do that.

Doesn't help when they later decide to drag you to court. Professionals always get a release before incorporating someone else's work.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    bummin thieves!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    my art teacher once told me

"all art is plagiarism, it's just down to you how far you go to cover it up... Now get the fuck out of my sight you cheating bastard!"
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that 'all art is plagiarism'!
    I heard another quote once that is really good and it goes: "real creativity is covering up all your sources!"
    C'mon peeps, everybody here is influenced by all sorts of pop culture.. in many artists the influences are so obvious.. but it's those artists that can cover up all their influences and make something 'unique' that makes everybody go WOW!

I think that anytime you use somebody else's work as a starting point, or as a 3d modeller you use pre-existing concept art you should mention where you get them from. Not mentioning where you took the art from and non-chalantly waiting until somebody points it out is lame. Be honorable!
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Albert Einstein
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    DEVILS ADVOCATE:

So, here is my question, Dekard used the example of The Desforgeries guy, so where is the line between, "Inspired By" and Strait rip?
    I did a quick Drawing to illustrate:
    whereistheline.jpg
    If he had done something like this, Would he have been reamed as hard?
    It's obviously inspired by the Gladiator Image but, the pixels are fresh. Is this still Stealing?

If the BAD didn't exist, then your version would have been acceptable from a design point of view, its almost like you've designed another creature from the same universe/race.
    At the end of the day, you didn't entirely rip off the guy, you just used the same skin tones and its different enough to call your own. Maybe a bit of hue shifting here and there might differentiate it enough to further separate it from the original.

But if it came down to the BAD and the ACCEPTABLE? images, the ACCEPTABLE? image would be far more acceptable in my opinion. The fact that it was painted from scratch and it looks significantly different from the original.

-caseyjones
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Albert Einstein

hey Dekard, thanks for finding that one... I knew it was a famous one.. and obviously, better said than what I remembered of it! :)
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    In the ACCEPTABLE remains the same "design lines" and forms, so for me is not all acceptable. Lacks of originality, imagination, creativity, self-esteem, it's like i grabbed a picture and i deformed it, like a face caricature. That's like modifiying the work of another person to get something SIMILAR.

To take the idea from other person because we are useless to use our imagination is very bad. Can you be proud of making yours something not yours? because you modified it a bit? that's terrible!!

I would never copy/steal something not mine, it's a matter of pride. To create is more fun than steal, you close your eyes and you work in your mind :).

The fear to be "plagiated" is something very complex to explain. There are too many good artists in this world to be afraid of :D (many without morality and without mercy :)). And if you post a work in a forum, the few ones that will credit the work as yours, are the people who visit that forum. If you are not familiar in that community, they won't care about your nick/name too. Normal people ignores who did this or that work, and of course the name behind it. This was commented here days ago and i said i always take attention to names.

One funny thing i have been said on CGTalk 2 times, is what i copied myself, with people posting saved images and saying "you copy the person who did this". They don't care about names, and for the same rule, they also don't care about making something similar because they think people don't know the original artist. In all the years with internet connection, i have seen terrible things about plagiarism and people using the work of others to get a job or simplily to accelerate their work and get paid.

I hope you understand my fear :D, i think is very justified.

All not is plagiarism, original ideas exists and fresh and new ideas always appears. There are always people who use the same ideas and perfect them, or making new ideas from oldest ideas.

we are so influenced by what has already been created, that we don't use imagination and we tend to do similar things of what we like. "We only see with our eyes and not with our mind, artists should see with their mind too", this is something i have been said since i was a child. We have now a bad joke saying: "you are not chinese, don't copy".

To Mix is what almost all people do.

Take as example the USA comics, almost all are SUPER heroes (the result of a society with fears, they need heroes!), same idea with different/similar designs or forms and with lycra dresses ^^, too many animals associated to men with super powers (bat-man is a mix example). Greeks mixed a lot in their culture falling i what i consider like ridiculous. With all this i come to say that there are only a few that are original, and if I have the fear of being copied, it is quite justified. I think i have my own original ideas and i have my fears, very normal. That is sad... yes, but it can't be helped. Bad experiences makes you to protect yourself in excess.

I wrote too much heh, ignore my bad grammar please :P

cheers
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    So basically...

There are no new ideas out there. Deal.
    Any author or writer (good ones, anyway) should and will tell you that there are no new stories, just the same ones with new characters and places and such. I don't remember who, but one authour narrowed it down to there existing only 6 possible stories. Another author (a more bitter one, I guess) said there's only 1.
    My point is that this applies to art too. No, you will never come up with something that hasn't been done before. What's important is how you make what HAS been done before somehow interesting and seemingly unique. Making another space marine? It's been done, but if you find a way to add elements that are very UNIQUE and make it look like something people think they've never seen before, than good job! That's a succesful design of something that's already 'been done'.

As for this relating to plagarism, yes, whether you realize it or not, you ARE going to steal from other artists when creating your work. It can either be conscious or subconscious, but it'll happen. What you must do is be aware of this and think how, "Ok, so I know that *this* inspired me, but how can I make it something from *this* but much more?"

The negative of this is if you blatantly rip elements off of other people's work and don't change and grow from the design so it's obvious that you just stole away. This is bad, and yes, I believe it will come back to you one day, and as already said, 'bite you in the arse'.

So keep looking at other artist's work and keep stealing away. But you had better make sure to steal in a damn unique and inspiring way!!

(p.s. Sorry for the wall of text :P Anyone still with me...?)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Dekard wrote: »

he's right.

the Designers Republic (they did the graphics on wipeout for those not in the know, and many other things besides) say:

"shit copies, tallent borrows, genius steals".

A good creator never releases his sources, but it's always best to build upon something with only the idea in mind, not use the actual material. Using someone elses materials blatantly for me is theft and un-acceptable, also if you get found out -- !
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    There's a distinction between manipulating actual artwork and stealing an idea. But I think identifying the 2 is down to personal interpretation.

To me the "acceptable?" image is fine. A little too inspired by the original image (I understand the point being made, though), but fine.
    The "bad" image is unacceptable from the point of view that I can still clearly see the sourced artwork, the inconsistency of the fidelity of the pixels, and so on. At the same time, though, I can see how someone with little to no art background might not be able to notice the inconsistencies mentioned and see it as original, inspired by, or the stealing of an existing idea.

Personally, "bad" is manipulating existing artwork. You get no points in my book. That's theft to me.

If the "good" image was indeed inspired by the Vogons, that's acceptable. He stole an idea. As I'm sure did the original concept artist behind the Vogon design.

The truth is that everyone steals an idea from somewhere. The key is to do a good enough job to not reveal your source.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Bad is a paint over of good plain and simple.
    Acceptable with out bad, is fine as it only used the idea from good.
    Acceptable with bad existing is a pint over/fan art of bad.

Beyond that example the basic principles still are true.
    For textures using photos/textures as your base and changing minority(clone stamp/healing brush and hue shifting) it so that it better fits your needs is still ripping it off. Using other peoples photos/textures as overlays on something you created is fine as long as none of the individual overlayed textures are easily noticed for what they are.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    There are 2 possible kind of sources here:

-The Reality, what we see.
    -And the work of others, what we like. <---

The source is always apparent, you can't hide it when is quite obvious. Games tend to copy reality, Do the artists steal things from reality? copy, borrow, steal... is practically the same with different words. What i see very bad is to get "inspiration" from others, copying it or borrowing it, call it whatever you want.

There could be a third one, another source that surely is ignored, it's the world inside your mind with its machinery. That's what we call imagination (have you got your imagination dead?). Anyone have surreal ideas? have you ever dreamed something like real, but not present in reality? can you imagine a different form of life, a new alien, different from all the stuff created?

Only non creative persons say that "everyone steals ideas from somewhere", and i'm totally disagree. I can give form to my ideas into my head without taking a shit from reality or from others, like mud. If the unique thing you can do is to "steal" from others, that does not mean that there aren't people who can create without stealing. It's like to say: "it's impossible for me, so for all people too! because we are all humans".

Look at giger... or look the predators, are they original? unique? the creator, Did he steal the idea from someone? from somewhere? did he hide the source? i don't think so, because a predator is basically a human with an ugly face, with a haircut present on humans too. The source is in the imagination of the creator. Alien is a good example of a "world inside" a creative mind.

The truth for all of us, is always what we like to see/think. I don't steal from anyone, that's my truth. Think what you want :D
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Blaizer wrote: »
    T

Only non creative persons say that "everyone steals ideas from somewhere", and i'm totally disagree.

Look at giger...

don't be silly. Everyone does steal ideas from somewhere. Yeah OK it's different from game assets that are meant to be realistic, but people like giger are inspired by the human form, he's basically "stealing" from nature. Another word would be inspiration.

So what you are saying is "only non creative persons say that they are inspired by the environment around them". Well, that doesn't make any sense does it?

Stealing ideas and working them into the fold is almost the same as being inspired by something. In fact, it probably IS the same thing.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    There are 2 possible kind of sources here:

-The Reality, what we see.
    -And the work of others, what we like. <---

The source is always apparent, you can't hide it when is quite obvious. Games tend to copy reality, Do the artists steal things from reality? copy, borrow, steal... is practically the same with different words. What i see very bad is to get "inspiration" from others, copying it or borrowing it, call it whatever you want.

There could be a third one, another source that surely is ignored, it's the world inside your mind with its machinery. That's what we call imagination (have you got your imagination dead?). Anyone have surreal ideas? have you ever dreamed something like real, but not present in reality? can you imagine a different form of life, a new alien, different from all the stuff created?

Only non creative persons say that "everyone steals ideas from somewhere", and i'm totally disagree. I can give form to my ideas into my head without taking a shit from reality or from others, like mud. If the unique thing you can do is to "steal" from others, that does not mean that there aren't people who can create without stealing. It's like to say: "it's impossible for me, so for all people too! because we are all humans".

Look at giger... or look the predators, are they original? unique? the creator, Did he steal the idea from someone? from somewhere? did he hide the source? i don't think so, because a predator is basically a human with an ugly face, with a haircut present on humans too. The source is in the imagination of the creator. Alien is a good example of a "world inside" a creative mind.

The truth for all of us, is always what we like to see/think. I don't steal from anyone, that's my truth. Think what you want :D

yeah, look at giger...

"His paintings often display fetishistic sexual imagery. His main influences were painters Ernst Fuchs and Salvador Dal
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    everyone is able to observe nature, you cant steal what is given freely. There is no artist that painted the flora and fauna that surround us (I would say "stealing from god" is a pretty silly thought to try and place on this). When an artist looks at nature and changes it, it is no longer nature, it is that artist's design and now you're stealing someone else's idea.

I can see where Blaizer is coming from and find disappointingly unsurprising that it is upsetting people. People are so quick to defend an action that they do themselves, and yet will condemn it when someone does it in a way that offends them. It is almost like saying "well I only stole a tv, you stole from a bank!" To anyone against stealing, it shouldn't matter, theft is theft.

Many people believe that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, but when ideas and original high quality artwork make your paycheck imitation suddenly becomes a threat to your lively hood.

I do agree that no one is above being influenced by other artists though, it is impossible to look at art and not be even subconsciously influenced by it. It is another thing entirely though to have another piece of work open while working on your own for direct reference to their design. I do think an artist can learn a great deal by using other art as reference (though it can be quite dangerous, you wouldn't want to replicate any mistakes that artist made and learn bad habits). "How do other people paint water?" "how does xxxx model hands, they always look and deform well" "what are the details that make his/her art look so finished and how can I apply those types of details to my work?" These are significantly different to "what is the color, skin tone, facial structure, and appearance for an alien that I can use to create another alien."
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    hawken wrote: »
    don't be silly. Everyone does steal ideas from somewhere. Yeah OK it's different from game assets that are meant to be realistic, but people like giger are inspired by the human form, he's basically "stealing" from nature. Another word would be inspiration.

That's your point of view hawken. To know how works our world and take elements from it, for me is not to steal. It's like to make food using ingredients, to cook ideas in our mind. Other thing is to STEAL ideas from others, and this is what we are talking about.

Non creative persons seems to don't have the ability "to cook". For that reason they steal others ideas because the think they stole to nature... They lacks of pride IMHO.
    You've learned all you know from other artists
    i've learned all i know alone, i'm autodidact, i have never gone to an art school, and the unique influence i have had, was nature documentals. One of the things i read/watch, are a few mangas/animes and all are with girls now :P.

I didn't know who was giger till i had internet...

Someone needed a teacher, or copy artists, to know how to use a pencil? don't think so... since i was a child i was always painting walls in my house.

The few artists i know are from manga, like Dragon Ball (Akira toriyama), Video girl Ai (Mazakazu katsura), Saint Seiya, Gundam, Slayers, etc. I grew up watching a few animes and a lot of nature documentals, and i think i'm zero influenced by anime.

Being humans, we create new forms and designs, we make new ideas and we shape our world, just see cities (Barcelona, Sagrada Familia, Gaud
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Influence/reference are not equal to stealing. Anyone who thinks they are should re-evaluate their practices. Maybe it's a broad, grey line that seperates them, but the line is there.

Saying that Giger was influenced by Dali, doesn't mean he copied his paintings. Emulation is not imitation. Absorption is not appropriation. I'm disappointed in the general attitude of this thread and the Blazier-bashing.
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say Singh has it pretty well down. Inspiration is not the same thing as plagarism. If we weren't allowed to have influences, nobody would ever do anything.

There is such a thing as going too far -- generally if it's close enough that a knowledgable person can pin the inspiration it to one specific piece of somebody else's work then it's too much. Or if you can tell that they've copied/copypasted/reused any part of another person's work (that you can tell is the important bit). If a knowledgable person can pin elements in your work that are consistant with the general style or themes of another artist's work and you're also adding enough of yourself or from other sources, you're probably in the clear.

Personally, I thought bits of the underground cavern/temple/thing at the end of Hellboy II was in dangerous territory with the extent to which it referenced the work of Zdzislaw Beksinski. I could point to one or two of his paintings were basically identical to some of the motifs they used, but I doubt anybody will sue.

On the other hand, if I like Phil Hale's paintings and I decide I want to do a painting of a man who is extremely anatomically correct with a very wirey/veiny body and with a strong directional lightsource -- that's pretty likely to be just fine. However, if I put that man flying through a blue/green air about to attack a black robot monster -- that's pushing it.

Where it goes from a mere credibility/creativity issue into a legal one is pretty sketchy to say the least.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Perna, i don't know that path you talk about, i'm disconnected from tendencies or styles. More from History.

What i only know is that i got some tools like pencils and rubbers and i do an use of them to express myself on a paper, to give form to my ideas. With computers the same, i use tools with my style to give volume to my concepts.

Surely there is someone that thinks like me. This world is huge and there are too many religions... heh
    now you need to look a bit into the history of your craft
    I grew watching Anime and nature documentals, i answered that. Nature is the best source of inspiration for me. Spain is a country without a comic culture or entertainment culture. Traditional artists like Velasquez don't inspire me. I just do the things in my way, giving my style.

Do you know Masamune shirow? Apple Seed, he takes inspiration from nature as he told in an interview, like insects. As him, i do the same, nature.

Those who are influenced by other artists do not have style. However, those who do not get influenced, creates a style of its own, identifiable by anyone. Everyone knows that a job is yours with just seeing the image.

Akira Toriyama for example has its own style, his way of seeing the world is different to anyone. One of the few things that defines an artist, is the style.

Things turned out like a bit personal. I don't want to be the center of discussion LOL
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Those who are influenced by other artists do not have style.

Wow.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg wrote: »
    Wow.

Yeah, wow. That has to be one of the most foolishly arrogant statements i've seen posted on these forums, and that is saying quite a lot.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You can't look at anything without getting influenced by it. Your art is good Blazier but I see the influences behind your work even if you don't realize it yourself.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Observing light, shadow, value, color, line work and methods of shading, various applications of artistic mediums -- all of these were developed over thousands of years. Unless you discovered some magic new way to create images on paper, blazier, you did not learn art independent of everyone else. The groundwork for every thing you do -- your very notion of 'art', was set by every artist known in history.
This discussion has been closed.