Home General Discussion

Uzebox - retro homebrew game console

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
Click here, you dopes

"The Uzebox is a retro-minimalist homebrew game console. It is based on an AVR 8-bit general purpose microcontroller made by Atmel. The particularity of the system is that it's based on an interrupt driven kernel and has no frame buffer. Functions such as video sync generation, tile rendering and music mixing is done realtime by a background task so games can easily be developed in C. The design goal was to be as simple as possible yet have good enough sound and graphics while leaving enough resources to implement interesting games. Emphasis was put on making it easy and fun to assemble and program for any hobbyists. The final design contains only two chips: an ATmega644 and an AD725 RGB-to-NTSC converter."

I might build one since I love inhaling solder fumes so much

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I read about it earlier, pretty nice.

Yet I get MUCH more exited about this:

www.openpandora.org
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    One of the things that struck me as strange about the Open Pandora was the keyboard - that's a lot of static buttons. I really thought that touch interfaces like the iPhone were going to put paid to a lot of static hardware interfaces.

(and didn't star trek TNG have video touch interfaces?)
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Super neat, but what;s with the matrix screens?
  • Robert Headley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robert Headley polycounter lvl 18
    What do you mean? You don't seriously thing that touchscreen is a replacement for a QWERTY keyboard?

That would be absurd.. Touch screen is a mouse replacement.. nothing more.
    and thats even debatable.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    What do you mean? You don't seriously thing that touchscreen is a replacement for a QWERTY keyboard?
    I'd have to disagree a little bit there. It depends on how you pull it off. Put some haptic feedback into the use of an on-screen keyboard and I can very well imagine it working nicely. I tried it on someone's mobile phone a few weeks back, and it give off a vibration every time you hit a key on the screen, and that made a world of difference to at least me.

But I agree in general. I've tried the iPhone's default keyboard, and it was just horrible as it, without any feedback.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19

That would be absurd.. Touch screen is a mouse replacement.. nothing more.
    and thats even debatable.

I'd also have to disagree. I can type very very quickly with the iphone keyboard, and even with just an audio response (haptic is not possible because the vibration lasts too long) it's enough feedback to feel comfortable.

I type about 10 ~ 20 mails on it a day, some of them long winded and rambling. (I blame my train journey. ) No discomfort at all.

As for the mouse issue, I've not used a mouse in 5 years. Granted a "minority report" style interface is not going to benefit anyone, but touch and stylus for accuracy, is perfectly acceptable.

Virtual keyboards are definitely the way it's going, jump on board or get outta the way! ;)

If that pandora thing runs amiga games, I'm sold
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    If that pandora thing runs amiga games, I'm sold

It's predecessor the GP2X runs Amiga games pretty well already (but has other issues). But with the OpenPandora it will be a save bet.

About the keyboard, well the clamshell design leaves the space, so otherwise it would be just unused.
    And for applications where you don't want the onscreen keyboard obstruct large parts of the screen it is definitly useful.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    JKMakowka wrote: »
    It's predecessor the GP2X runs Amiga games pretty well already (but has other issues). But with the OpenPandora it will be a save bet.

About the keyboard, well the clamshell design leaves the space, so otherwise it would be just unused.
    And for applications where you don't want the onscreen keyboard obstruct large parts of the screen it is definitly useful.

It wouldn't be unused, I dont mean put the keyboard on the top screen when required, I mean go DS style and have the keybaord area be another touch screen.

You avoid localisation issues since the keyboard can be ANYTHING it needs to be.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah but in that case you would have had trouble fitting the two analog joysticks and the dpad + buttons on it in a comfortable way.

P.S.: The official successor of the GP2X has been just annouced too:
    http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=43721&st=0&p=639446&#entry639446

The "Wiz", which is basicly an updated GP2X with some nice additions and some strange design choices (well that korean company was always known for being a bit strange).
    But it doesn't seem like a bad thing either, depending on the price point.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I just got an email to say that if I want a pandora console, I'll have to pay upfront in full when pre-ordering starts on 30th September. Seeing as my oldest kid wants one too - that's £400 plus shipping to find in a week!

EEK!
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I ordered my two pandoras on Tuesday. According to the official site they're all pretty much allocated.. Great way to raise over £600,000 in one evening. :)