Home Technical Talk

How to fail an art test, by EricV

bluekangaroo
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
So I just did a lil test for Digital Extremes and yeahhh Im not too sure but I think I may have bombed it.

they gave me a little fire hydrant to make, 500-600 polys in 4 hrs

with a 256x256 diffuse, normal, spec

and a 32x256 diffuse, normal, spec, opacity

the hydrant had a couple little chains so i assumed thats what the opacity and 32x256 set was for. But yay! Ive never created rectangular textures before....so I frantically searched for anything on the subject and came across a script by 'Chuggnut' which would allow for this...Fast forward maybe 10 minutes and Im installing the script and reading a little tutorial on JesseMoody's page on how to do it...

So anyways, I end up finishing the hydrant, with ASSSSS textures. Like dirty shit ASS textures. Now Im usually a calm, and composed guy but this had me pretty stressed.

So will finishing this thing even get me brownie points, or do they realisically expect you to make a real good prop within a 4 hr window?

I know I could have done a better job on the textures with a few more hours.....but fuck, this was hard for me.

Replies

• Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    sorry to hear that bro, hopefully you didn't make as bad as a texture that you think you made i have confidence you did very well :)

keep us updated :P
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Moved to Technical Talk for you. This isn't really a pimp or preview.

A good prop can be made in 4 hours but I think you are worrying a little too much on the time limit. Make the best damn fire hydrant you can make and keep track of the time. Better to do great and come in late than to half ass it and be on time. Now this isn't always true for production but you are trying to show them your talent.

Good Luck

- BoBo
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    so were they sitting right behind you with a clock checking your time or why all that stress?
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »
    so were they sitting right behind you with a clock checking your time or why all that stress?

they were in my head
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    lets see some screens man!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    LOL, I'm with Bobo, you're freaking out a bit much on the time limit.

Did you have to actually submit it at the 4 hour mark? Or is it like, "You have 4 hours when you get the time, work on it, and submit it when you're done."
    If it were the latter, I probably would have done the best I could in 4 hours, saved that off, then kept working on it until I was happy, and mark the time on that.

Then submit both as, "Here's what I did in 4 hours, but here's what I COULD do in 6 hours."

Either way, you're talented enough that I'm sure you did fine.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    ya, a fire hydrant? 4 hours seems enough time to create a nice model.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    depends on the hydrant, but making a nice highpoly, good lowpoly and uv, baking the normals and ao, texture, render and present it, seems tight.

the prop itself shouldn't be the problem, but rendering, presenting the result takes some additional time.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit:

sent back to the firey pits of mordor from whence she came!!!!!

burn!!!!!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    LOL, I'm with Bobo, you're freaking out a bit much on the time limit.

Did you have to actually submit it at the 4 hour mark? Or is it like, "You have 4 hours when you get the time, work on it, and submit it when you're done."
    If it were the latter, I probably would have done the best I could in 4 hours, saved that off, then kept working on it until I was happy, and mark the time on that.

Then submit both as, "Here's what I did in 4 hours, but here's what I COULD do in 6 hours."

Either way, you're talented enough that I'm sure you did fine.

well the email said that the job required speed so I interpreted it that 4 hrs meant only 4 hrs...oh well if this doesnt work out Im sure something else will.
  • Indecom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 16
    Yikes, the model is good, but damn umm, i dont think that right there is a very fair model of your abilities, i'm sure you could have done a much better texture job if you werent so stressed out.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Eric - I mean this kindly - having seen your work I would assume this test would have been a walk in the park for you. Its rather odd to see you freak out over something so small. I would assume, based on looking at your work, that a simple prop like this would take you a few hours or less, from model to in engine.

What kills me is that you only had 15 minutes to texture this. Either you're a slow modeler who doesn't use any scripts or hotkeys, or you just collapsed under the 'pressure'.

What kind of reference were you given? In line w/ what Bobo had to say, a lot of times in a production environment you won't have a day, or two to this kind of stuff. You'll have to knock it out in a few hours and usually can do so once you've nailed down a solid work flow. You're portfolio looks good thus far, just pick up the pace.

Good luck man!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Owww, yeah man this isnt representational at all of your skills. Thats a huge shame. Well, better luck next time man. I think 4 hours is definitely fair to make a small prop, its a little tight at most but not unreasonable at all. I often find myself doing small sets of props, 4-6 or so models in a day or two. You just need to make sure your workflow is streamlined.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev wrote: »
    Eric - I mean this kindly - having seen your work I would assume this test would have been a walk in the park for you. Its rather odd to see you freak out over something so small. I would assume, based on looking at your work, that a simple prop like this would take you a few hours or less, from model to in engine.

What kills me is that you only had 15 minutes to texture this. Either you're a slow modeler who doesn't use any scripts or hotkeys, or you just collapsed under the 'pressure'.

What kind of reference were you given? In line w/ what Bobo had to say, a lot of times in a production environment you won't have a day, or two to this kind of stuff. You'll have to knock it out in a few hours and usually can do so once you've nailed down a solid work flow. You're portfolio looks good thus far, just pick up the pace.

Good luck man!

yeah Im disappointed as well. the way I had this budgeted in my head was to leave me a good hour to texture at least...I figured hey, a lil dinky 256 is no sweat

what threw me off I think was figuring out how to do this rectangular uv busieness and then after i installed chuggs script it either removed a couple buttons I was used to like select element. Which I use ALOT. So it may have moved it around somewhere, or hid it but i was not able to find it o instead I went around painstakingly having to select faces while Uving, which I am normally pretty fast at...ughhh

I think Im going to have to reinstall max now
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next time just uv it so its only using 1/4th of the map or whatever, and then scale it up by 400% so it fills out the uvs.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Did you turn it in yet? If not, stop browsing the web and finish the texture! Make it good and up to par with some of your portfolio pieces. TBH, I would not turn in what you have now. Spend the extra hours and get the thing good. Obviously you're not in a production environment, so that 4 hour mark is more of a goal than a strict rule, IMO.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did turn it in. Hey what the hell what could it hurt it again right, im still a n00b...I know ill get better, and faster...might as well show em what I can whip out with a little extra elbow grease
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    That's the attitude. Knock out a killer one.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    texturework made my day^^
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    mmm yeah it doesn't look like you put all your skills in there...I don't get the retarded 4 hours limit, but I'm not surprised either.

I'm pretty sure they were expecting a full highpoly thing with a ton of details, etc, in that regard, for that kind of asset and if you're prepared, this is doable in 4 hours, but not with the quality they are looking for - or aiming at in their final product...
  • Deathead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well atleast its better than what I can do.;)
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl wrote: »
    mmm yeah it doesn't look like you put all your skills in there...I don't get the retarded 4 hours limit, but I'm not surprised either.

I'm pretty sure they were expecting a full highpoly thing with a ton of details, etc, in that regard, for that kind of asset and if you're prepared, this is doable in 4 hours, but not with the quality they are looking for - or aiming at in their final product...

Boy o Boy....I was considering a Hipoly but when I saw 4 hrs, I said no way. If thats how fast I gotta be then damn.

but then again even with a hi poly what 256 is going to hold enough normal information to make that thing look good? Maybe if you're looking at it in RTS view and the thing is like a couple freakin pixels wide...and even then whats the point of a hi poly for normal map!? Dont make any sense to me....Now if it was 1024, then we're talking. What do they expect me to do with a 256?!
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    tile like youve never tiled before!
    I shouldnt sweat it man
    things happen, just turn out one thats good like its been suggested. I reckon as long as its within a reasonable time frame - lets not think days here - it should be alright. They might still be strict about that 4 hours yeah, but if you can show em what 6 hours could do you, thatd work in your favour. The real problems would begin if you were spending like 2 days on a prop like this.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    What do they expect me to do with a 256?!

We're using 256x256 for a wall texture that is nearly double the height of our character on a ps3 game.... yeah I don't expect my employers stance on that to hold for shipping either.... hehehe.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I think 256 is good enough for something that small.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Almost all the textures in Doom3 were at 256 or less.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Thats a shame man. But to be honest, i did this test too. I did make a highpoly, and all that jazz. Finished with time to spare. Mayb your workflow just isnt solid yet? I have no clue what your looking around at scripts for. I just used max (default) and photoshop. Had no probs. The poly budget was a little tight for my tastes, but i managed. I think I broke it down into.. 1 hour highpoly, 1 hour lowpoly and uv's 1 hour texture and 1 hour cleaning seams, and making sure everything was packaged and ready to mail back.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    stimpack wrote: »
    Thats a shame man. But to be honest, i did this test too. I did make a highpoly, and all that jazz. Finished with time to spare. Mayb your workflow just isnt solid yet? I have no clue what your looking around at scripts for. I just used max (default) and photoshop. Had no probs. The poly budget was a little tight for my tastes, but i managed. I think I broke it down into.. 1 hour highpoly, 1 hour lowpoly and uv's 1 hour texture and 1 hour cleaning seams, and making sure everything was packaged and ready to mail back.

Here is where mine ended up at.
    hydrantquicky.jpg

@ EricV: sorry to hear, I hope your next art test fairs better, I'm sure it will!

@ stimpack: I was wondering, what did the employer think of your submission? It looks pretty nice
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack your test looks really solid what did they say about it?
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    Eric, your texturing work reminds me of the way mine used to be actually. don't wory so much about "texture" so much.. spend more time worrying about color, value, and specific details.
    a photo of some metal isn't going to work just because it's metal. a surface looks the way it does for a reason. you can use photos in your process, but you'll never be able to use them properly unless you understand what you're making.

try using a flat color or simple texture as a base, some shading gradients, some grunge (overlays if you want), a few dents, scrapes, what ever (you can use overlays here too)
    .....pretty much you can use fucking photos everywhere if you want.

i've made some objects that turned out great and i basically used a sort of photo-painting technique.. layering bits and pieces from photographs together. you can use photos for textures, but you've still got to think about them in terms of being a painter-- stuff has to be specifically placed and make sense..

thought that was appropriate.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They liked it, and offered me a job. I wound up taking it. I start next month =P John_warner is exactly right. Thats how i texture. I drop down a undercolor (usually a grey metal or what ever color I think is under the paint). Then i drop down the paint color and errase out for scratches and such. I follow up with photos of grunge and stuff like that. I use the AO as an overlay, or hardlight. Which ever looks better. I never just texture with photos.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Eric, I wouldn't include any learning time needed into those 4 hours. If you need to look up stuff i'd keep that separate. You'll do the same at work

You can't compare a work environment with how you run things at home. At work you continuosly cranck out stuff for the whole day and are basically on a roll sorrounded by people that follow the same pipeline and share workflows.

Art tests (or the email coming with them) will normally mention that they're aware you have a life, work to do and other things to care about and will give you a decent amount of time.

When that's not the case, it's up to you to do the math.
    If I did a 4 hour art test i wouldn't have a problem spending 6 hours on it if I think that would balance out the handycap i have when working from home, where things are not as automated and smoothly setup as at work, as long as i'm sure i could produce similar results in 4 hours under good working conditions.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    True, i finished mine too, and I did in 4 hours, exactly as they asked, no problem at all. They like the test very much, but I didn´t get a response if im going or not, so, I´m just waiting.

objecttesthugosample2am2.jpg
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm well thank you all for the replies and encouragement guys...they were so kind to let me do the test again, so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully Ill have good news for all of you
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n heres ma redo....I did some speed modelign the morning b4 this which helped I think. and that unreal render if any of you saw, I deleted that post since that was shite as well.....It just wasnt going to work with that model/unwrap....

hope they like this one better

ericvfirehydrantredorenkx6.jpg

ericvfirehydrantredorenas0.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yes, the donger unwrap for your quadball. Well played sir.

This is quite a bit better man, delete the post with that old model and never speak of it again. IMO it seems a little overlay heavy and noisey. In my experience metal can really work well if you have some simple materials, basic colors in spec with a tiny bit of detail, and some nice scratches and stuff in the specular.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Eric, indeed a better try! Things you should consider when making uv´s, trying to hide the uv´s borders/seams the best as you can, I see some seams on your model, another thing is you should try to reach a better reference for textures, like your chains, seems a fabric texture there, not metal, too much volume.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Well done for sucking it up and going again, Eric!
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, round 2 is waaay better! tetanus worthy.
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    Good job man, looks tons better, and i agree with this earthquake character, he sounds like he knows his shit. What he said will also take care of a lot of possible seams you might get in your texture.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good bugo! I think you got more outa your tri's than me. Not sure how you managed to get 3 attachment areas in there on that budget =P If they liked it, i hope good things come of it, we might be in cubicles near each other! Ericv man, lay it down on them! I looked at your folio. you got skills. Lets see some gnar!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    well, they said i could push between 400 to 600 tris, i did 580 or something like that. Yeah, well, they said they like, but because I live in Brazil I think things change when choosing someone, not sure tho. But hey! Good luck there buddy, your work is good!
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would just like to point out that I would actually love to take a 3d art text... but for now I'm stuck with High School Foreign Language tests to bomb...
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good going man, looks way better. Just one point on the mapping, on the ball why didn't you put the round bits back in the place of their holes. Now you have them somewhere else and these are just holes not being used.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should have StJoris... damnit.

n00b mistake.....

One I wont make again
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    you could ask to take the art test again?

LOL great work man, glad to see you were able to redo it, and improve so drastically.

Good luck!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, along similar lines as to what Japhir said, I think you could also get rid of the polygons behind the attachments. On the uv's it looks as if those are still there. It wouldn't make a huge difference, but it'd be 20 polygons you could spend to bevel something else or whatever.
    Much better results already, though!
    You might also consider tweaking the colours and contrast in your specular, really get some specular highlights going on the metal, but keep them a bit duller (lacking a seperate map for specular size, just darken the red bits...), and on edges, use a thin brush to lay down a white line with some bits erased to emphasise the edge's highlights. Seeing as how it's a fire hydrant, some dirty drips would be nice as well. As if, over the years, some dirt piled up in the moist tracks of drips.
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eric id like to say that your second try is awesome too bad you didnt do that on your first try :P
  • wailingmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi...any chance someone could share the original inspiration image?
    (I'd like to try this on for size, just for giggles)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Eric, great work on your redo - you've really done yourself proud.