Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Trying to learn character modeling

Howdy, been working with maya a couple years, but last few months havent been doing much so decided to start learning character modeling. Nothing huge for now just basic mesh of a women. Ive done a few human models, but nothing serious and never a female.

I really wanna learn from this project so any advice or crits would be appreciated.

(ref image im using)
proportions.jpg

current render
1-10.jpg

wires
wires-1.jpg

most of the work ive done is on the torso (I did alittle on the legs and arm as seen in the 1st image)
1-9.jpg

also a turntable from alittle while ago
turn.gif

Replies

• Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still waiting on replies about the body, but I moved onto the feet.

Im keeping them pretty simple, because not sure how many tris i should end up with when its done. each foot is 280tris
    render.jpg

wires-2.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    My advice to you would be to keep it all in quads for better understanding of topology, and to get all the shapes right.
    You have many flaws right now, like the buttcheeks are glued together, the breasts are too spherical etc.
    Do you use your reference as a blueprint as well?
    Study your reference carefully, and look at some other ones as well to get a more general understanding of the female anatomy.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya im using ref as blueprint. I also was using some others. Will fix the boobs and I know about the butt, just havent got there yet.

Also keeping it mostly in quads, if I ever want to import into zbrush.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mtg_kirin wrote: »
    ya im using ref as blueprint. I also was using some others. Will fix the boobs and I know about the butt, just havent got there yet.

Also keeping it mostly in quads, if I ever want to import into zbrush.
    You mean you will make it all quads right?
    If you want this as a basemesh for sculpting you need to have it entirely in quads, for it to work properly when subdividing.

Also keep it mind to have all the quads as quadratic as possible for easy sculpting.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok I have some tris, but ya im working on making them all quads. Ive never done sculpting, so didnt know how important quads were. Will make sure there all quads now.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I am by no means a character artist, but I have had experience making a few characters and having to rig n skin them.....and what I found is that generally a few tris here and there are OK, as long you dont have them in areas where you'll have deformation such as joints or areas on the front of the face. If you must have tris push them to the back of the head or other places where nobody will notice. After all, when or if you decide to bring your mesh into a game engine, it will triangulate your model anyways ....so dont think that it is a major faux pas to have tris

awesome Ref by the way

Edit....for prepping your mesh to bring into Zbrush then YES..you definitely want a fully quaded model. For when you retop and make your low then you can stick in a few tris
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericV, I think the lack of tris is for the sculpting stage (could be wrong 1st attempt)

but ok here are the breasts a bit tweaked so not so round.... I hope its better. Please give crits on them and anything else.

dif.jpg
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Still way too spherical I think. I don't think your reference lines up correctly when it comes to the breast... in one image he has her arms up and the other she doesn't... and that affects the breast a lot. Gotta have that in mind.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    http://mikerusby.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/wirewoman.jpg

this is one I am working on. notice there are mainly squarish looking quads and althought ther are a few tri's still.

It seems a good idea to make the base topo up and down if you get my drift.

Don't try and build in all the detail for a zbrush sculpt because you can just paint that in

For example the sphere based breasts just ain't necessary
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Your reference image sucks. Its not alligned well and the woman has horrible proportions for a first stab at character modeling. The images you are using now would make for a good model once you have a few completed characters under your belt but for now it will just throw you off. Get some better reference (maybe some of the models on these boards) and take a good long look at some other models wire frame shots to get an idea about poly flow.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe: thats a good point. Only using cause it was recommended on another forum.

Ruz: I've never done zbrush before and not sure I will take her into it this time. I think I will just make a basic low poly body, then make a new one prepared for sculpting. (Kinda build my way up)

Also Xaltar can ya explain whats wrong with the proportions? I will def look at other models to see how there polies are layed out, but can't learn from my mistake if I dont know what I did wrong.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz: I've never done zbrush before and not sure I will take her into it this time. I think I will just make a basic low poly body, then make a new one prepared for sculpting. (Kinda build my way up)
    Still you need to learn to make a good topology and the polyflow. Quads deform better also.
    I'd recommend you to do the sculpting in this project so you learn more things as the same time. Also you need to do anatomy studies so sculpting would be perfect for this.

What program are you going to use for sculpting btw?
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nothing yet Im looking at buying one soon. Ive tried mudbox a bit, so Will probly go get that.

Just never needed it and I want to learn how to normal map so maybe your right. Just seems like a huge step from my current skill level. But I guess its a necessary step.

Pulling down breasts a bit. Also adding the underwear. Just to get a feel for how it should all look. I see what ya mean about the side view with the arms being up. So pulled the breasts down to the front view

1-11.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I mean is, that particular girl doesn't exactly fit the standard idea of an atractive (steriotypical more precisely) figure. Whilst modeling realistic people is a good thing, it generaly isn't a good place to start when it comes to learning topology and mesh flow. You generaly end up with more comments on the large thighs or odd torso than you do actual usefull critique. Human anatomy is a lot more varied than most people think but for the purposes of learning you want to stick to the status quo so your crits are more to do with the modeling and less to do with peoples personal preference.

Now for a more usefull crit. Your edge flow should always define shape and follow form. The vast majority of your edges are not really doing anything to define shape. Always try and create your forms using the minimum amount of polys. Most artists call this the "blocking out" phase. Once you have the overall sillouette down you can then move on to details.

The best thing you can do to help yourself learn is look at some of the better female models posted on these and other 3d boards. Look at how the polys are used to define the anatomy and how they are distributed.

Good luck and enjoy yourself, this is the most exciting part of learning character modeling. You will find yourself out doing your previous work on a regular basis ;)
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks xaltar. Kinda disappointed that people would crit on the ref instead of my model, but I guess I understand. I actually chose this, because I dont like seeing just the supermodels being modeled.

Also this may be asking for way to much, but is there a way u could point out like 2-3 edge loops that seem to be doing nothing for the sillouette ? This isnt to question you, just so I can see what ya mean.

o also some pics I meant to post earlier
    1-12.jpg
    2-1.jpg
  • Pirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks a lot better then my first character model did.
    Keep up the hard work. It will only get better from here :).

Also try and always show the wireframes in your images like you did with the last ones (Half Wire). It can be hard to see what has been changed looking at an image without the wireframes.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I honestly wouldn't know where to start. There are so many. For a start, how many sides are your limbs? Way to many, it isn't making the model look any better and its actually making it harder for you to tweak the forms.

Concern yourself about not modeling supermodels after you understand how to model characters properly. For now you want to work on things that allow others to compare your work to what is common.

look at Arild Wiro's tutorial section for example. Follow his tutorials and see where that takes you. Its for a significantly higher poly result than you should be going for but it will help you understand edge flow and such.

http://www.arildwiro.com/

Your model is not a bad first attempt but it is just that, an attempt. You will have a lot of false starts before you complete your first character.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    lookin better man. One thing that helps is to not get to obsesive over getting it exactly lined up with those image planes....Worry more about the perspective view...Do you have a 3quarters shot of her? Use that fo sho!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    As for the silhouette, I see the feet are too small and ankles need tweaking, after that is corrected it would be time to move those edge loops and create the muscular details without adding any more complexity. Keep tweaking it as much as poss and use lots of refs, bodybuilders can give some great clues where to go with it.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pirate: thanks for the encouragement, can only hope it will get easier.

Xaltar: my arms are 11sides and legs i think are 12. How many would u recommend? I will def check out that tutorial, but will push through a bit more with this one. Get atleast a little more complete then start over.

tremulant: Thanks, sadly dont have 3 quarter view :( but will look at my perspective and also work on that as well as front and side

GCMP: Ya i havent hardly touched the feet. Will be working on that more today.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok started to tweak the foot, trying to create an arch. Also started work on shoulder/ arm pit area.

1-13.jpg

2-2.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would go for 6 sides for both arms and legs. For the most part there are not many game characters with more than 8 sides. For learning purposes you should try to achieve the maximum effect with the minimum number of polys.

What you have so far is not bad, but, you need to look at the edge loops around the shoulders. Take a look at Ben Mathis Delilah tutorials to help you with the joint loops. http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/tutorial.htm
    This will help you understand what is needed for proper rigging and animating. All game characters need certain loops so they can deform properly. Right now your model won't deform well at all. You have the right number of loops on the elbows and knees but the shoulders are seriously off. Your arms are also too short. The part of the wrist where the hand is attached should sit about level with the bottom of the crotch when the arms are at the sides.

Like I said, you are off to a great start. I mean no insult by my comments, on the contrary I wouldn't have bothered if I thought you sucked :P
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    looks like you are trying to match reference photos in the orthographic view... this is a big no no and will give you inaccurate results, if your modeling a character do it in perspective as all the reference you are going to find is going to be in perspective.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks Xaltar, I Dont take any insult from your posts, I really appreciate all your comments. Ya have no idea how much I appreciate hearing the truth. I also appreciate all the links, which I have been reading and taking as much as I can from.

I will delete the arms and legs and start over with 6 sides. Thanks for the advice.

arshlevon: im not positive what ya mean. Im modeling in front and side, then tweaking in perspective, to get the flow better.

Edit:

this may seem like a stupid question, but I was changing the legs to 6 sides and was wonder what the best way to connect them to the body. As you can see I had to create tris. Should I change the entire to a low poly?

also do the 6 sides look to low poly? I was looking at some next gen models and they seem much smoother. (the gameartisan contest was using 7k i think)

what i have so far. ( I havent smoothed out edges or anything. Just example of my question)
    tri.jpg
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MLinderholm polycounter lvl 12
    Keeping it in quads is really important if you wanna sculpt it in Zbrush or Mudbox, what you can do is to subdivide it one level (in Maya at least) which should turn everything in to quads (if it's just quads and tris). It's a cheap way out but you will probably get problems with pinching points and a sub-par topology.

I think what Arshlevon means is, orthographic views (top, front, side etc.) in 3d applications has no perspective what so ever, while a photograph always has perspective, a bit hard to explain, so pheer my leet paint skills.

2it1qux.jpg

If you look at the different cameras and how perspective works like a eye or camera while the orthographic view is just a projection from a plane (your ortho camera size) you'll notice that the pictures won't look quite the same. And since all pictures you will find is perspective, fitting the front and side view to a photograph might not give the best results.

Keep up the good work.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey im using maya, thanks for the info. ya i understand what he was trying to say now (ur drawing helped) so I think my modelling in ortho then fixing everything in persp is a good way to go. (i hope)

and ya and trying to keep in quads.

edit: reworked the leg. It is now 8 sides instead of 12 and the arms are 6sides from 10-11. Still created a few tris so trying to work those out.

1-16.jpg
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so I went to each joint and tried to prepare them for deforming. Any crits on this would be appreciated.

joints.jpg
  • Sun5un
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greetings, I'm in a similar boat here in terms of getting into character modeling. This tutorial here was very helpful for me when I started a quarter ago: http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

it's max instead of maya I know, but the modeling principles are interchangeable.
    I hope it helps, I'm interested to see how it goes when you tackle the head.

- 樂
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for link, looks like I did alot the same way, but I know I may be missing small details.

dont get ur hopes up for the head... it will be a tough event to watch (like a car crash :P)
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sun5un wrote: »
    Greetings, I'm in a similar boat here in terms of getting into character modeling. This tutorial here was very helpful for me when I started a quarter ago: http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

it's max instead of maya I know, but the modeling principles are interchangeable.
    I hope it helps, I'm interested to see how it goes when you tackle the head.

- 樂
    I got started from this tutorial as well. It's very good. :)
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, me too. I think I still have the thread on here somewhere.....

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=42979

That was my first thread on PC lol

I figure seeing as I was just starting out at the time too, some of the crits I got may be useful. And worth a laugh :P
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how did u go from that bench to the demon o.0 big jump there :p

but thanks good to see we all have to start out some where
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, look at the post dates :P
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    only couple of months. Hope I make that kinda headway. any crits on joints? think they will deform alright?
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking better. I usually angle the loops to the sides of the center loop the other way on knees and elbows. But that may just be me.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waht do u mean? like the spread out instead of into the deform?
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone know any good 'free' female hand references images. I saw some at 3d.sk, but I dont want to register.

Also any more C&C would be appreciated.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok someone gave me good hand ref. So here is the blocking out, its pretty late and im tired so will clean up and perfect tomorrow. Main question now is about size. to small?

1-17.jpg
  • zerojs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah hands... i hate making hands, one of the easiest things to mess up.
    Anyway, for your first character i think this is shaping up very well, its all just about practice and research. When i started learning how to model human forms i went through a load of anatomy books, also images of naked females arent hard to find on the net so theres plenty of chance to find ref.

http://www.spectralogue.com/textures/view_image.php?searchSub=on&keyword=&path=76&image=3684 This is a place i used quite a lot, its a free reference site, lots of photos.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks zerojs, will look into using that site for next model.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more work on the hands.... im going to need some advice on this.

1-18.jpg

edit:

thought I'd share full body image too

1-20.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    this should be handy for you trying to figure out correct joints for deformation:
    http://www.pig-brain.com/tut02/tut02_01.htm
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks, Looks like I did most of that tut. Except he uses tris to achieve the elbow/knee joints. ive talked to a few people and they were saying mine should deform alright and to try and stay away from tris.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks, Looks like I did most of that tut. Except he uses tris to achieve the elbow/knee joints. ive talked to a few people and they were saying mine should deform alright and to try and stay away from tris.

I doubt that knee will hold up. The other joints are questionable but definitely with some work would deform much better. Games work in tris, there's nothing wrong with your final game ready model having tris. This all quad workflow should only be for sculpting and your own sanity durring modeling. When it comes to rigging sometimes in some cases tris are a really good solution. Handicapping yourself by using only quads when games run in tris is a mistake.

"But how do I know when I can and can't?" "You'll know by fudging it up 20 times" Around 25 you'll get something that works and next time it will only take you 5 fudges. When you get it down to 1-2 then you can start to apply at places. Don't be afraid to make changes, mistakes and try things out.

Don't hold to the rules because someone said so, hold to the rules that work for what you're doing, so long as you understand them. You have so much to learn about anatomy that taking this mesh into a sculpting app would be a mistake. There is not much you would do to this mesh anyway that having a few tris would kill it.

Also if you're stamping out tris completely, you have quite a few hanging out in some areas they would defintly cause problems, (psst the finger tips).

So you need to decide what this mesh is for, sculpting, or final rigged output?

You're almost to a good point that you can do some test rigging. You'll learn a lot more about how to model joints if you do some tests now instead of being frustrated later when you think you're done, and you find out you actually have a lot of work left to do.

Crits:
    The source, is horrible... If the source is off, so is everything else. She is not the correct proportions for what people expect. Even if its modeled down to the last pixel, it will look off because the source is chubby & stubby. Instead of picking a single mom of 9 that has cash flow problems to match her body issues, you should have picked some more "accurate" ref. Its not like the innertube isn't full of great looking ref...

With that said, what you have isn't matching the ref that well, especially in the feet and hand dept. She has ankles like a elephant, fingers like broken sausages and wrists that are non-existent.

The bra straps defy physics and look very unnatural. The straightest point between two lines, is... you guessed it, a straignt line. The straps have different topology then the base mesh, and its going to be hard to get to deform properly. More then likely they'll clip through and become an eye sore. Either cut them into the geo, paint them on, or make them from the existing geo so they can deform properly.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks vig. Not sure if you have read the previous page, but the entire discussion about the ref has been discussed.

The bra is just a place holder, If I rig and animate this model I will be clothing her completely and deleting hidden faces.

Im not sure if I will even rig this one, it was just my 1st attempt at modeling a real human and will be trying again once I get to a spot Im happy with stopping.

I will also look at ankles, but when I check against ref they lined up. But could be wrong and will check again.

O also new wires

2-5.jpg
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    was bored and still waiting for advice on hands or anything else. So put clothes on real quick. But now i gotta go to work

1-22.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    okay, well, if you ARE planning to rig at all your 'updated' wires still lack appropriate geometry in the joints in order to deform correctly.

try looking at other character models around here for some ideas, but at BARE MINIMUM I would put some loops around each of the joint areas you have there.

the way it looks currently your knee and elbow would be a sharp, pointy edge.

best way to figure this out is to obviously give it a try.
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks bounch im going on a small like 2 day vacation tomorrow, but when I get back im going to take a while and study other models and try to learn proper joint modeling
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so didnt fix the joints yet, but I started the head. Its not coming out to good, but only about an hr work. So any advice will be greatly appreciated. I will probly wait to work on joints till next model. I want to finish the head sometime next week and move on to a new female model.

1-24.jpg

(ref using is from here http://free-textures.got3d.com/natural/free-character-references/free-character-texture-references-woman-4/index.html)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, boy, is that woman ever a fucking BLIMP of gigantic proportions, eh vig?
    Christ, can we kill it with fire?
    I don't see how anything but idealistic proportions would be useful as ref? Anything that gets people to create something less boring and perfect is good in my book. Ofcourse, it's harder to get non-idealistic proportions right, as it's less forgiving (if you're off the mark, it'll look very wrong, granted). Still, it's hard to find a cg character with actual character, so I wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from using reference that isn't porn.