Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Prop

Cyph3r
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
Hey all, I got the Eat3D Next-Gen Texturing DVD and i watched through it, I then started to texture their model myself. Easily the best texture I've ever done, and I've learnt ALOT. Great DVD. Anyway here it is

Max Viewport Grab
Eviro_mesh1c.jpg

Any crits on the texture? It's all 1024x1024 maps. Only Diffuse and Normals so far.

Replies

• odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Thats fucking awesome dude, really great work. I've seen the original from the DVD, would love to get it some day. For a 1024x1024 thats impressive.

Where abouts in Shropshire are you from?
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Hey thanks Odium. Like i said this is the best texture ive done and even though i've followed a tutorial, im still proud of it =p

and im from telford. why do you ask?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Telford? Where abouts in Telford :p I live in Madeley.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    ehh not bad.. looks pretty good!
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks EricV.

And odium i'm in wellington =p
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    No kidding... Small world eh?

Great job either way, keep it up dude. I see your 16? Jesus... Wish I was that good when I was 16...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great, it would be great to see wires and texture flats and UV layouts =)
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks odium, but nah im not that good, not even for my age, i wish i was a hell of alot better, its why i got this DVD, so i could learn to texture better.

And thanks Vig, and i would show texture flats + wires, but the model wasnt made by me and the UV layout supplied is quite bad and wasteful, so not much to see.

Heres another max viewport grab, nearing completion now
    Eviro_mesh2c.jpg
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    looking great dude
    only thing that caught my eye is the green coloring on the ground, it seems just as that, coloring, perhaps if you try to separate it out a bit more with a stronger normalmap. nevertheless, very cool :)
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    Something stands out about the rebar. It's pretty saturated, and kind of flat looking (Compared to the rest of the materials). Would also be cool to add some indication to the rebar of stress. Seeing as the concrete it was inside of has been beat up pretty badly.

Kinda feel the same way about the fence posts, maybe intensify the spec just a little bit? Just my opinion.

All in all though, it's turning out very nicely bro. Keep it up.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the crits Flewda, but i havent started on the rebar yet, and there isnt any spec maps yet =P
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    and i know this is just for presentations sake and not for reality, but the telephone pole is wayyyyy too short, but looks good to shorten it for the presentation :poly121:
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Time to call this done?

Eviro_mesh3c.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why is the fence inside of the concrete?
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    EarthQuake wrote: »

No idea, just is.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18

I wondered the same thing when I first saw the ad for the dvd...
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    The question should really be, Why ISN'T the fence inside YOUR concrete.

Anywho, very nice dude.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    slum wrote: »
    i wondered the same thing when i first saw the ad for the dvd...

qft.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    EQ probably because the neighbors didn't like you looking through the fence. Yes where I'm from you can see a fence made of cement beside one of metal pretty much like the image. LOL What's even more weird is when you see one inside a concrete shop. It probably means that at the time the shop was made they didn't have enough money to build the full cement so they used a metal fence instead. Then they noticed EQ watching and they said the hell with that, and blocked it off. :D

Alex

Looks great.

Alex
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Nice result on the tutorial, I'll be picking this up myself at some point. I need to learn how to maximize my texture detailing!

As for the fence, its a chain link fence, covered by concrete on one side, wood on the other and covered in burlap and the whole thing has been electrified to 25,000 volts. So stay the fuck out ok?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    don't whiz on the electric fence.

Looks good, I think I need to put some money aside and pick up this dvd as well.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Show the flats man :)

Anyways, looks great... and now I'm buying the dvd as we speak :P

I wanna see what you've learned and put it towards your own model next, lets see how well it transfers :)

Good job man.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the green coloring on the ground looks weird , it seems someone just dropped green paint on it, no indicative of moss or any vegetation, just...green ! also could have a tad more color variation and a tad more saturated wood etc , but still looks good , good job !
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys, and heres the flats for anyone that wanted to see

Flats.jpg

And what do you guys think i should model to tie in with this?
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I think a character would go nice with it....what you have there reminds me of some busted up enviros from like dino crisis or resident evil.

However I would not go ahead and put this on your portfolio if I were you....I feel its best to keep art tests or tutorial things like this seperate from your actual portfolio. This is good practice tho

Edit: dont mean to jump to conclusions or anythin and assume u do want to use this as port piece but im jus sayin anyways...
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should take the techniques and things you learned from this, and make your own scene. I wouldn't want to show something that I OBVIOUSLY got from a tutorial that a lot of people have seen.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    I think you should take the techniques and things you learned from this, and make your own scene. I wouldn't want to show something that I OBVIOUSLY got from a tutorial that a lot of people have seen.

read my previous post. i said if anyone had any ideas of what i should make to tie in with this.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Cyph3r wrote: »
    what do you guys think i should model to tie in with this?

Take a page from Fallout. Modern post apocalyptic would fit in similar theme. Other ideas could be run-down ghetto basketball court, junkyard security office (exterior), something similar to Stalker environments or resembling a resistance headquarters in half-life2. All are about the same thing as far as materials and basic props.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because when you're fighting a guerrilla war against alien overlords or a totalitarian regime you'll stick your dead neighbor inside concrete if you think it would make it stronger?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    read my previous post. i said if anyone had any ideas of what i should make to tie in with this.

Pardon me, by that, I thought you meant you were going to expand a scene AROUND this piece. I was trying to say, make something brand new to base your scene around.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Time to call this done?

Not without specular.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    More practise from me... I think i'm getting better at texturing? =]

Viewport Grab:
    OilDrum.jpg
    338 Tri's

Texture Flats:

Diffuse.jpg
    Normal2.jpg
    SPEC.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I'm gonna go out on a linb here and say you made that local by hand with crazybump, right...?
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    odium wrote: »
    I'm gonna go out on a linb here and say you made that local by hand with crazybump, right...?

local? but yeah i used crazybump for getting some extra normals from the diffuse and for the specular... why?
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    If you're going to use a normal map then I think you could make it a lot more exciting than that. I don't even notice it.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    local? but yeah i used crazybump for getting some extra normals from the diffuse and for the specular... why?
    Because the dark shell logos are big and embosseed there, when they should just be a really thin coat of paint on the surface (i.e. they won't change the height of the surface).

Wrote this up a few weeks ago, that'll hopefully explain it better.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    shellbarrel.jpg

Googled.

Do you see any Shell logos sticking out? They don't! But they do on your normal map..

EDIT: sorry, the image I googled was HUGE.. cropped it and reuploaded it on imagehost. hope the owner of the image doesn't get angry.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I got the Eat3D Next-Gen Texturing DVD and i watched through it, I then started to texture their model myself. Easily the best texture I've ever done, and I've learnt ALOT.

I don't mean to be the rain that floods your parade. And I'm sorry for having the reading comprehension and observation skills so many on this forum seem to lack.

It sounds to me, from your description, that you simply watched this video, didn't follow along, and afterwards took all the files provided (high poly, low poly, baked maps from them) and simply slapped your own textures, possibly sourced, on top. For this, I'm not going to applaud you for any effort. I believe you've misled some into thinking you did follow along, creating your own geometry, and provided your own textures instead. Some on here have wasted the time critiquing the mesh and complete scene.

Judging from the barrel, you've learned nothing from this video about what a normal and spec map does to improve a texture...only that they are used.

My advice, is to watch the video once more. Follow along the best you can. Then, create your own similar (but not identical) scene based on what you've learned. Then branch out with other scenes, correctly using the normal map and spec maps as needed. Then, you will learn from experience. If your focus is simply to create textures, then only post the textures and additional maps created from them.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    If he really did his homework...then you'd expect to see some metal bands and rivets in the geometry and paint flakes in the texture, according to the reference there isn't any.

It also looks like he just ran the normal maps and spec map through without adjustment or post process...I'm not seeing any spec for one thing.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    lol right... im going to redo the barrel.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    ah forget it, i suck.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    ah forget it, i suck.

I wouldn't say that. However you are probably not as good as you thought you were. That's good. Once you think you are good you won't develop :) However you have to be pleased with what you do. If you are pleased with the barrel then be. However if you aren't then figure out what's wrong and fix it :)

Like.. you're the one setting how far you want to go. We're just telling you how to improve if you wish for it.

EDIT: I mean.. there's no one who shows their stuff here that doesn't get critique :)
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    yaeh i tried to do it again but better, but i cant do it, comes out even worse.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Show us and we'll tear it apart for you :) Then you can have another go.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Kawe wrote: »
    Show us and we'll tear it apart for you :) Then you can have another go.

Part of succeeding and moving along is to throw away something that takes longer to fix and then simply start over...you will then have a much better mindset where to go and then not go over your head...as well as take in the feedbacks.
  • Cyph3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Alright... take 2 on the barrel. i THINK its better... how can i improve it?

OilDrum3.jpg
    Diffuse4.jpg
    Normal4.jpg
    Specular4.jpg
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is much improved. Your normal map now provides the shape of the mesh, without the color of the logo influencing it. Your specular map adds more reflectivity to the darker metallic areas of the texture. The maps are working as they should, so you're on the right track.

Next, I would improve your lighting for the render to see just how accurate they are working. Have one light provide a nice specular highlight, and another light with less intensity filling in the shadows. This may lead you to lighten areas of the specular map, as it is painted metal, and more so to the spots where the paint is worn off.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Comparing it to the barrel above some ways to improve would be:

Make the specular brighter on the bare metal and sharper.

Was your normal map generated from a high poly model? If so it could be more "Refined" it could use more polies, your top circle hole should be round instead of segmented like it is. Also the ridges that go around the side of it dont look as defined as they are in the photo, especially the top and bottom lip, it's really pronounced in the photo. The normal detail that matches the paint should be a LOT sharper on the edge where it meets metal. Right now the normal looks really soft.