Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Announcing Ascension

Hello Everyone,

I am the creative director at Digital Roar Studios and we have just announced our title Ascension for Mac, PC, Wii and iPhone. I wanted to start this thread as a way to dialog with the artist community and also to showcase our talented team, but also to allow them to post several tutorials for the techniques we are employing to create this game. First off I would like to showcase our guys art in general. Currently we have a featured video on www.gametrailers.com

(concept art preview)
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/235704.html

and several other examples on www.youtube.com

(in engine 3D art preview)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1YybcQXHgc[/ame]
(environment concept art and soundtrack preview)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-gfKpoLnNg[/ame]

You can also check out our website at www.ascensionwar.com

Our first tutorial will be on rendering a environment cube map from a 3D scene you have created. Future tutorials will involve creating space environment concepts in 3D and general pipeline from concept to 3D model for both vehicles and characters.

As we finish more and more of the game we will showcase the new artwork here.

Thanks to everyone,

Zachariah Inks
Creative Director Digital Roar Studios
www.ascensionwar.com

Replies

• {scumworks}
    Looks nice, but the lighting IMO is a lil off. I realize you have multiple lightsources, but that huge yellow "sun?" seem to have almost no influence. It would look alot better with more contrast between light and shadow (strong main light, subtle backlight). Atm the spaceship doesnt really connect to the environment ... but thats just imo. Ofcause I dont know how capable your engine is.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    zinks wrote:
    Our first tutorial will be on rendering a environment cube map from a 3D scene you have created. Future tutorials will involve creating space environment concepts in 3D and general pipeline from concept to 3D model for both vehicles and characters.
    looked at it:
    This is done using our modeling and texturing programs. By creating a special distortion on our cameras, you can “bend” the seams of your environment....
    to bad I hoped there would be actually some usefull info here- looks more like a showcase not a tutorial

Concept art looks nice- good luck with your game
  • zinks
    Hey scumworks,

you are exactly right. We are still refining the lighting and we are shooting for a PRT lighting setup, but at this time we are still under early development. Please expect things to change greatly in the not to distant future.

renderhjs,

The blog posts on the site are intended for the general public and not industry professionals. We are working on a much more in depth tutorial and this forum post is going to be where we put it. We didn't want to get overly technical in the blog. So please expect the tutorial promised above in the next couple of days.

Sorry for not being more clear about that.

Thanks