Home General Discussion

It's coming!!! Diablo3!!!

polycounter lvl 12

Replies

• Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    Lord in heaven. It's going to be a bloodbath!
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Gorgeous is the correct word.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Holy hell! They actually kept the isometric display for the gameplay. Awesome! There is something very intriguing about those graphics, parts look extremely painterly.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, it looks like it's all one angle, which means they can do stuff like the trees with a polygon trunk and very specific alphas for the branches - some of the trees in the screenshots looked way too complex and detailed to be fully polygonal. Maybe just a clever use of alphas.

The painted style of the textures is great, and the characters shown in the Classes page look awesome... great particle effects (warcraft 3-style) and sounds, and really interesting animations.

Another Blizzard product then - artistically beautiful, perfectly polished, fun and addictive! Can't wait to see the cinematics :)
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Fucking YES!

Can any of the blizz guys say if they're working on this dealio? Congrats to those who are, I'm extremely jealous. Cant wait to play this.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    never actually played diablo before; looks pretty slick tho!
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    o m g. this looks really nice :) love the painted style.
  • firestarter
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That cinematic trailer is several kinds of awesome. Just wish the bloody Blizzard downloader wasn't so rubbish.
    Standard torrent link for people who have trouble with the Blizzard downloader:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11748183&postcount=310
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    The gameplay trailer <3
    This game looks amazing! I really like the new style direction Blizzard seems to be going. I never really played any of the diablo games to any great extent but I'll most likely give this one a go.
    Now to check out the cinematic trailer!

-caseyjones
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Looks so colourful compared to 2.

Loved 2 and I'm sure that this game will be pretty rockin' as well.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    click-click-click-clickclick-click-clickclick-click-click-click-clickclickclickclick-click-
    click-click-click-click-clickclick-click-click-healthpotion-click-clickclickclick-click-click-click-click-
    clickclickclick-clickclick-clickclick-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Looks incredible, really like how they've kept the apparent feel of the old gameplay but mixed things up with somewhat deeper combat. And the art, naturally, is awesome.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blizzard seem to understand a crucial concept. Don't fix what isn't broken.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    very very cool stuff, too bad there are only two classes... will there be more?
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Japhir wrote: »
    very very cool stuff, too bad there are only two classes... will there be more?

haha yes ofcourse, soon. Just like the page for the zerg came a bit later for SC2

Ah Diablo 3. cant wait!!!!!!!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    haha yes ofcourse, soon. Just like the page for the zerg came a bit later for SC2

Ah Diablo 3. cant wait!!!!!!!
    ah ok :D :nerd:. maybe they keep the best for last, just like the zerg ;).
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I so wanted to find out what Blizzard's next mmo was. Never played Diablo before, won't play this one (take too much time, same reason I dont play MMO's), but wow does it look good.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Hell fucking YESSSS
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    o... mi... gad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Oh man I'm gonna have to buy a nice stock of disposable mice before this comes out, so many monsters to click on repeatedly!

Looks great, the presentation in Paris sounded really nice, they sure know how to announce a product.

I'm surprised there seems to be no normals maps (despite Starcraft 2 having them), which isn't a problem in itself, just thought they would use that tech for their next games too.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    That looked great. I like the amount of interactivity happening between player, baddie, and the world.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Stillw aiting to download screenshots and trailer... very slow.

But from what I see is
    1. not a MMo
    2. No over the shoulder

So I'm pretty happy so far.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I liked how they tricked some of us with that Melting Ice thing... that announcement totally made my day, hell it will surely make my week too. The music, the blood splash, the death animations, DIII sure looks on the right track!

cant wait!!!
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, the textures are Warcrafty... it looks better then warcraft, but mildly disapointed they didn't stick with high fidelty the previous pre-rendered stuff was.

I'd bitch more, but it looks gorgeous and kind of like the comic book, yay!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Looks totally fantastic. I can't wait for it.

A few of those screenshots remind me a bit of Titan Quest. It's funny how things come full circle.. :)
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I so wanted to find out what Blizzard's next mmo was. Never played Diablo before, won't play this one (take too much time, same reason I dont play MMO's), but wow does it look good.

Diablo III is not an MMO game. And if it's anything like the previous two, it's not a time sink at all to just play the campaigns - you can get in and have fun/make progress in just a twenty minute session, if that's what does it for you.

That said, fuck, I love me some Diablo! I remember when the demo for the original game came out, that just let you play two levels into the first catacomb. Three friends and I somehow managed to play that over and over for at least three hours on a campus computer lab. That had to be what, like December 1996? And (to contradict what I wrote in the first paragraph :p), playing through Diablo II was the most intense game experience I've ever had. Me and two buds, non-stop for 18 straight hours to play through the entire game, not counting pizza breaks. My wrist was so sore the next three days from all that clicking, I could barely pick anything up without being in terrible pain - good times!

I love that animated image of Tyrael on the D3 site, he was always my favorite character design from the Diablo series. I'm totally geeked! :D
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yes!! I enjoyed diablo 1 and 2 and Im just really surprised that this looks like more of the same. I like the way the diablo games didnt take themselves too seriously and let you dive in and out of gameplay easily. Im busy downloading the gameplay trailer. I hope its easy to play online with friends and doesnt require a payment or anything like that.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just stuck up the gameplay trailer on my tv and yeah.. well, it looks pretty damn cool, a little less warcrafty in motion then the screenshots.

Though I do hope the music there was temporary, it felt a little too movie like rather then the dark mood peices from the originals.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I may be the devils advocate here, but... I mean yes it looks absolutely GORGEOUS! But... I'm getting a sense of Blizzard being a one trick pony type deal (with the art). I mean yes I know it looks sexy, and I'm not denying that, but some of the stuff looks like recycled WOW stuff, and personally, I'm getting a bit tired of it.

I am really excited for this game, but I hoped they were gonna push a darker (more realistic) style, I was really hoping for it...

But I am excited, just not as excited as I thought I would be (art style wise).
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    that gameplay trailer is awesome!!! wow!
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    I'm happy they didn't go the MMO route. Game looks good, no release date so I'm sure we'll have to wait another year for it.

Happiest people on the planet about the diablo 3 release: Logitech
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Blizzard needs to make a movie because their cinematics are effin AMAZING.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Looks absolutely amazing! lol I agree with Saidin311, probably I'll need some backup mice ;)
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Yes WoW look, i don't like it too at all. I'm a bit disappointed, i was expecting something more next gen and more terrific for this kind of game, more tetric.

I must figure the level random creation have "disappeared".

One of the things i liked the most are the colors, games in this days are like monochromatic and very very black. GOOD for Blizzard :)
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    hopefully it gets darker and grittier as the game progresses. It does looks great but I hope I wont end up missing the tight pre-rendered darkness of the first 2

FUCK YEEEAHHHHH
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I may be the devils advocate here, but... I mean yes it looks absolutely GORGEOUS! But... I'm getting a sense of Blizzard being a one trick pony type deal (with the art).
    But I am excited, just not as excited as I thought I would be (art style wise).

Yeah, I kind of agree with you there, it would have been cool if they could have developed their three properties in different art directions. With that though, the colours/texture do feel a little different and a lot like the comic book.

Also, I don't think they've shown us the darker parts of the game yet(or at least hope so) as even the evil dungeon is pretty vanilla.

But even some of the creature design is getting that goofy warcraft vibe, and the speech between the barbarian and deckard is kind of a fan joke as well.

Hopefully it gets some bite later in the game.

edit: Blazier, FAQ says random environments
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not really sure what the big deal is; more clicky action, aren't there already a ton of games out there like this? I know it's gonna have Blizzard's polish, but I don't really see anything to get me worked up into a froth :P They're trying to make the new health pickup sound like a gameplay innovation. Just looks like it would get really repetitive.

I have to say the outdoor environments look really nice, though.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    omg omg omg omg om gom gom gom gom go mgomgopjmg gom g opmgopmgo gmogm ogm gom gom gom gopm gomg og mgom gom gomg opm gom gom gomgomgmgogmgo mgomgomgomggmogmg gomgomgomgomgogmogm gomg ogm gomgomgomgjmog1
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm asking the same question myself hobo, but I honestly think gameplay "innovations" aren't gonna happen a lot anymore. Obviously there are huge risks involved, not to mention the cost, its usually not worth it to gamble... which really makes me a saaaddd panda.

But... there is hope (in my opinion) which is Mobile gaming... Apple I-phone anyone :)

But back to Diablo, I saw some in-game videos and I have to say it looks great in motion, and I know Blizzard will deliver another hit, and I think I'm just gonna have to get use to the Warcraft / WoW art style from here on out for Blizzard....

PROVE ME WRONG BLIZZARD... PLEASSE!!!!
  • Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colemerson polycounter lvl 10
    Cinematic is amazing as usual, I'm loving the art style. Hope the game goes more towards the dark atmosphere of the cinematic. Excite!
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Yay & Boo

I might not even buy this because it looks just like a polished version of Warcraft3. Go Diablo 2 Style blizzard, with awesome details and the works. Cinematic's look awesome as usual tho, which happens to be the only selling point for the game for me, and I played the hell out of the Diablo series too.

I replaced Diablo3 a long time ago with Titan Quest series.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Can't wait!

I'm just worried about how long i'll have to...
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Diablo is the one Blizzard franchise that really appeals to me, so I'm looking forward to this one.

It's funny that the original d1/d2 had stylized, cartoonish 3d models for the original sprites, yet was very gritty looking from afar, but meanwhile the new game is much darker in style up close but looks very painterly zoomed out.

It also looks like the characters are just straight diffuse maps, so I guess it will be able to run on older machines. Why no specular?
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I love the style! It looks sooo good and I see a lot of things in the gameplay that I really wanted us to implement back on Titan Quest. I can't wait to get my hands on this.

- BoBo
  • Ooghijmiqtxxa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooghijmiqtxxa polycounter lvl 17
    Wow, I was really impressed with the game-play video. Seeing those zombie/ghoul like things crawling up the dungeon walls really well done. Everything about this looks absolutely stunning.

In the FAQ there is no mention of it, but do you guys think they would ever release this for a console? Remember, Diablo 1 made it's way to the Playstation eventually.