Home General Discussion

new military vehicles & weapons from around the world

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
well, seems like the FCS is getting more US funding, so they put together this mockup.

pq4.jpg
pq5.jpg

this whole program has currently cost almost 20 billion...

at least its only half as ugly as the concept:

FCS2HOW.jpg

Replies

• greenj2
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I once worked on a "game" called FCS: Objective Force. It was the biggest pile of shit you have ever not seen.

Ooh, here you go.

http://www.d-a-s.com/objective_force.html

pure win.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    WOAH, DAS actually put out a title???? I always thought they just did DoD/Contracting stuff!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    hahahahaha
    Lucas that looks like halo with all that green and pink.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    It's all 'ugly' and 'looks like sh!t' til that armor plating saves your ass and the rounds take out their target. :poly104:
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Its unreal how corrupt the military industry is, 20billion for what? A mobile artilleri that looks like it came straight from WW2, sure it has some computer junk on it but that propably only advanced thing about it.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Well, if that's the Paladin like I remember it is pretty advanced, even if it looks like an upgraded Maus tank. 20 billion is still outrageous though.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    20 billion? thats unbelievably sad. :( the fact that its ugly is just a minor issue compared with that collosal waste of wealth.
  • CrazyButcher
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    No comment on the price but is that tank plugged in ;) to an outlet!

*Shhh we pocketed 10-Billion who's gonna tell. *
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It's ugly, sure. But it's specifications more than make up for it.

- 40 tons (M1 is 60)
    - Front armor is 40 INCHES thick, and is reactive to counteract kinetic and chemical warheads. Side armor is electromagnetic which also deters kinetic energy
    - 60mph over country terrain
    - 20% more fuel efficient than M1
    - High velocity 120mm turret (better than M1) which can be easily upgraded to 140mm by simply swapping out the barrel
    - 500% more accurate at firing while moving than the M1 (which was already pretty damn accurate)
    - can fire 12 rounds per minute (16 by release), as opposed to the M1's 10 rounds per minute

Pretty damn impressive, if you ask me. So long as it helps the soldiers, I'm all for it.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And then it'll roll over an IED and explode.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Heh reminds me of this of the old GI JOE Mauler from 1986!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdPaagWGzTo[/ame]
    http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/85/mauler/

And I never thought a plane like this one could fly...but looks like the Russian's figured it out!
    I remember playing with this toy and thinking there is NO way a plane like this can fly!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OPqSiTK9_0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12N98IIQB8Q[/ame]

peace!
    B
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    dfacto wrote: »
    And then it'll roll over an IED and explode.

IEDs are rarely strong enough to destroy or disable our main battle tank, i can't imagine a light improvised bomb would halt something with 40 inch thick armor.

We lose people in jeeps and light vehicles to IEDs, not just heavy tanks. I mean, the specification is broad, theoretically an improvised explosive could be very powerful, but that just seems unlikely at this level.

I actually think it looks alright, too. Boxy and awkward, sure, but it certainly appears as if it was simplemindedly focused on functionality, and that makes it seem like an unusually good fit for military use.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago wrote: »
    It's ugly, sure. But it's specifications more than make up for it.

- 40 tons (M1 is 60)
    - Front armor is 40 INCHES thick, and is reactive to counteract kinetic and chemical warheads. Side armor is electromagnetic which also deters kinetic energy
    - 60mph over country terrain
    - 20% more fuel efficient than M1
    - High velocity 120mm turret (better than M1) which can be easily upgraded to 140mm by simply swapping out the barrel
    - 500% more accurate at firing while moving than the M1 (which was already pretty damn accurate)
    - can fire 12 rounds per minute (16 by release), as opposed to the M1's 10 rounds per minute

Pretty damn impressive, if you ask me. So long as it helps the soldiers, I'm all for it.

You sure its battle tank? Its too high for that, looks more like mobile artilleri.
    Its even protected like one, hit it from the side and its doomed, the cockpits
    dont look very well protected either, 10IN armor max.
    Also if the turret turns it has sharp edges hanging over the body, making it
    very easy to rip off.

Remote controlled tank would keep soldiers even more safe and it would help
    with making the profile much lower.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    It looks somewhat top heavy to me.
    B
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    haha. bunch of artist bitching because a tank doesn't look cool. nerds!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Since when do we base military purchases on the appearance rather than purpose?

Would you rather go into battle with this?
    Tank%20Bling%20Bling.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    yes. yes I would.
  • Cthogua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua polycounter lvl 18
    SupRore wrote: »
    IEDs are rarely strong enough to destroy or disable our main battle tank, i can't imagine a light improvised bomb would halt something with 40 inch thick armor.

We lose people in jeeps and light vehicles to IEDs, not just heavy tanks. I mean, the specification is broad, theoretically an improvised explosive could be very powerful, but that just seems unlikely at this level.

I actually think it looks alright, too. Boxy and awkward, sure, but it certainly appears as if it was simplemindedly focused on functionality, and that makes it seem like an unusually good fit for military use.

Destroy, yeah probably not...but disable? Tracks are still the weak point of pretty much any tank. A reasonably sized IED would probably have no problem damaging the tracks, thereby immobilizing it. Sure you haven't totally disabled it, but it can't move until someone climbs out to fix it, which is a huge pain and aint gonna happen in a fire fight.

Of course that's not really the kind of situation this vehicle was really built to deal with, as a mobile artillery piece it should be reasonably far away from fire fights and building to building ambushes. Notice it doesn't really have any external small arms mount points...Where as an M1 has a .50 cal and two 7.62mm machine guns in addition to its main gun, allowing it to effectivly engage smaller, closer targets...like the dude sighting up his RPG.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cthogua wrote: »
    Destroy, yeah probably not...but disable? Tracks are still the weak point of pretty much any tank. A reasonably sized IED would probably have no problem damaging the tracks, thereby immobilizing it. Sure you haven't totally disabled it, but it can't move until someone climbs out to fix it, which is a huge pain and aint gonna happen in a fire fight.

Definitely, that's the weak point in all tanks at the moment. If one is immobilized in a contained area it's very easy to damage it further or force it to be abandoned. Even that doesn't happen very often, though, except with very large IEDs or more modern anti tank rockets/rpgs.

However, from what information i can dig up online, it looks like this FCS system is hoping to move away from using heavy tanks like that in general? I can't quite tell, but it seems like they want to phase out our main battle tanks for something inbetween a heavy tank and an artillery piece.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Doesn't matter...the opposition will always be able to find new method at much more affordable rate to take that meat pie out...

But I'm down with pimping the existing vehicles...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang wrote: »
    Doesn't matter...the opposition will always be able to find new method at much more affordable rate to take that meat pie out...

When was the last time in history this happened?

I don't know of a major industrial power having their vehicles outmatched since world war two, and even then it wasn't affordable. Just another army of approximately the same things hitting them head on.

There will be an affordable way to harry and hinder them, sure, but a major military power's tank force has never been taken out by a smaller, cheaper resistance.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    SupRore wrote: »
    When was the last time in history this happened?

I don't know of a major industrial power having their vehicles outmatched since world war two, and even then it wasn't affordable. Just another army of approximately the same things hitting them head on.

There will be an affordable way to harry and hinder them, sure, but a major military power's tank force has never been taken out by a smaller, cheaper resistance.

WW2...

The Sherman vs the Tiger.

The tiger was more heavily armored, more maneuverable, had a bigger gun and sat lower to the ground. It was also a hell of a lot more expensive than the sherman... I think there were 3 shermans for every tiger... and by the time the tiger could destroy 2 of the shermans, one had got behind it to hit the weak spot in the ass.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    notman wrote: »

Tank%20Bling%20Bling.jpg

Fuzzy dice and a flame job is all it needed, the "Fear This" sticker was really way too much there, notman. :poly131:

Interesting factoid, HUMVEE's are designed to have the doors blow off so the pressure wave from an IED / RPG doesn't kill the occupants.... didn't know that 'til my buddy came back from Afghanistan with that as first-hand knowledge.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    Toomas wrote: »
    20billion for what?

Twenty billion isn't the cost to manufacture this vehicle, it's the budget for the entire program which is developing about a dozen different systems (various manned and unmanned vehicles, launch systems, weapons systems, etc). This just happens to be one of the things they are developing. Not that it's money well spent, just saying $20 billion isn't the cost of one vehicle.
  • PoopSock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Tank%20Bling%20Bling.jpg

only if when tha tank stop, dem wheelz still spinnin'
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    haha. bunch of artist bitching because a tank doesn't look cool. nerds!

I wouldn't be caught dead in that.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    Tanks are meant to be ugly.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's mobile artillery afaik, yes. But it can still fire on the move, due to the computer controlled aiming. It's quite the package.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    tanks, like angry houses
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Vassago wrote: »
    It's quite the package.

That's what she said.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, just what we need, more giant artillery. That'll give us the edge in our next war.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't be caught dead in that.

i wouldn't be caught dead in you
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, just what we need, more giant artillery. That'll give us the edge in our next war.

The M1 tank has been in service for thirty years. What's another two decades, right? I mean, we see so many people crusing around in 1958 Fords, clearly the military has no need to actually upgrade their equipment.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    $20 billion well spent!

America, defend yourself!!

Seriously... who the hell is the military stockpiling against? Canada?
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    hawken wrote: »

You didn't know? We legalize our weed, that way we can get Americans high so they spend 20 billion to design a steel box with tank treads. Ha Ha.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire wrote: »
    That's what she said.

I knew someone was going to say that :P
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    I'm sorry but any company that employs Mr Bean deserves not to be taken seriously.. which would explain the rather large development bill.

And way to go to design something the high flat sides, might as well paint a bloody bullseye on there with "kiss my barrel" written underneath *rolleyes*
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    hawken wrote: »

funny-pictures-moose-jet-planes.jpg

Your modern technology is obsolete. You have been warned.
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    THIS TANK DOES NOT COST $20 BILLION!!!

A lot of you still seem to be under that mistaken impression... it's like assuming a Civic costs $500 million because Honda spent that much on research and development for their ENTIRE fleet of vehicles. The program's budget (which includes dozens of vehicles and systems being developed) is $20 billion... that's not the unit cost of this particular vehicle.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    don´t listen to KeyserSoze

i have prooven information that only the artist who designed this ugly thing got 20$ billion as compensation to leave and go home

so imagine how much only one tank must cost.... billions of billions.. omg...

better by some hondas for this price
    hm you can get.. 8 .. or so
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    KeyserSoze wrote: »
    THIS TANK DOES NOT COST $20 BILLION!!!

A lot of you still seem to be under that mistaken impression... it's like assuming a Civic costs $500 million because Honda spent that much on research and development for their ENTIRE fleet of vehicles. The program's budget (which includes dozens of vehicles and systems being developed) is $20 billion... that's not the unit cost of this particular vehicle.
    If the result of the entire budget so far is just that one prototype then yes, I'd say that tank cost $20 billion... :shifty:
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Tank%20Bling%20Bling.jpg

Sorry, but this is how I roll.
    rumble_jungle_II.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat wrote: »
    If the result of the entire budget so far is just that one prototype then yes, I'd say that tank cost $20 billion... :shifty:

It's not just one prototype, or even close. It's an entire program intended to completely re-arm and restructure our army by 2030. https://www.fcs.army.mil/systems/index.html
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, and they're all pig-ugly.
    USA already has over 4000 abrams tanks, the most expensive version (M1A2) costing 6 million apiece.
    this thing will probably cost around 7-8 million, what with all the techy stuff stuffed into it.
    here's what the germans bought:

pzh2000.jpg

its a PZH 2000. it outranges the FCS vehicle by at least 10km.

as for the protection...

800px-NLOS-CHighres.jpg

thats maximum about 2 inches of armour.
    but the FCS is supposed to field a new protection system, similar to trophy, but developed by raytheon.
    it makes the vehicle virtually impenetrable to most rocket-based systems, at least for 20-30 shots,
    but still very vulnerable to high speed APFSDS shots, or in the future, railguns.
    and thats primarily how they cut the weight.
    they plan to make the hull an universal platform for all the vehicles.

as for the abrams, its got an RHAe of 700mm vs AP, and nearly 1200mm RHAe vs HEAT for the front turret and hull, and around 300mm RHAe vs ap for the side turret.
    side hull is a lot more vulnerable though, only about 100mm RHAe at the most.
    and rear top and bottom is about as vulnerable, the roof is about 5cm thick.
    there's a new more fuel-efficient turbine engine being developed, which will cut down its fuel usage by around 25%, and also cut down on maintenance costs.

the closest thing to a tank in the FCS arsenal is the MCS.

fcs_mcs-2007.jpg
    which is still lightly armoured, with its main protection being the raytheon APS.

another aspect of FCS that is important to keep in mind, is that its primary objective is to be a rapid-insertion force. the first objectives were completely unrealistic, C-130 transportability, which would incur an 18 ton weight limit. this was later changed to C-5 transportability.
    i'd say its a completely idiotic concept however, since when you move into a theater, you'll probably be staying there for a while. there's many who say that the program is going to just fall apart, and that mockup vehicle
    was made to give brass the impression that FCS is moving forward.
    its still not expected to be fielded until at least 2020.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    korea's been developing a new tank called the K2:

tank_XK-2_South-Korea_Black_panther_006.jpg

and japan is making a new tank to fend off godzilla:

plc0802131146007-p1.jpg

[ame]http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=ffNiosiPlxY[/ame]
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the new german IFV Puma, is set to replace the older marder IFV by the end of 2008:

puma_2.jpg

picture of marder:

PumaGermany_5.jpg
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
    yet another waste of money.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11