Home General Discussion

Outside Game Art Competitions

So this isn't exactly off-topic, if you want to get technical, but it doesn't really fit anywhere else.

Notes on Game Dev is putting on two separate game art competitions (you can just click here URL]http://gamedev.sessions.edu/nogd-awards/[/URL now if you don't want to read me explain). One is for art submissions with four separate categories (2D Character, 3D Character, 2D Environment, 3D Environment). The other is an essay contest just for us women. Various prizes include International Game Developers Association memberships, Game Developer magazine subscriptions, and online courses at Sessions School of Game Art. Or you can just do it for the glory! They have game industry judges on board from games like Fallout 3 so it's a good way to have your art get seen.

If anyone's interested, here's their fluff:
Aspiring Women Game Artists Competition
Essay Submissions Due June 20
Notes on Game Dev invites all women aspiring game artists to submit an essay to the 2008 NoGD Aspiring Women Game Artists Competition for a chance at a full time scholarship to Sessions Online(SM) School of Game Art. Entries will be judged by female leaders in game art and education including Heather Kelley, Sheri Graner Ray, and Cristin McKee. Prizes to be provided by Sessions Online School of Game Art, IGDA, and Game Developer Magazine.

2008 Notes on Game Dev 2D/3D Environment and Character Design Competition
Submissions (one per category allowed) Due June 15
The 2008 Notes on Game Dev 2D/3D Environment and Character Design Competition is now open for entries. Art will be judged by some of the top talent in game development today including Damian Pannell (Artist, Relic, Vancouver, British Columbia), Doug Oglesby (Concept Artist, Red Storm Entertainment), Jesse Brophy (THQ, Phoenix, AZ), and Nate Purkeypile (World Artist, Bethesda). Prizes for winners include a full Game Art Certificate Program from Sessions Online Schools of Game Art, a broad choice of instructor-led game art and animation classes, membership in IGDA, and subscriptions to Game Developer Magazine.

- Beth

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    wtf girls only?
  • bethadillon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And I'm guessing that's why there are two competitions. One for girls only and one for both.

It's valid since there's such a lack of diversity in game industry. Of course I'm saying this and I'm a girl.

- Beth
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /me looks around his office, 60% female here... I call BS heh.

I actually really hate any kind of discrimination even reverse. That whole eye for an eye crap, just leaves everyone blind. But I guess I'm late for my cross burning party, I hope the hookers are hot this time...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The girlz contest is an essay writing one, that's lame!
  • bethadillon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny, usually women contests are essay contests.

Well, what's the make up of your office? Could be slighted since of what women are in game industry, most of them are artists or producers.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    /me looks around his office, 60% female here... I call BS heh.

I actually really hate any kind of discrimination even reverse. That whole eye for an eye crap, just leaves everyone blind. But I guess I'm late for my cross burning party, I hope the hookers are hot this time...

/me looks at rest of industry 80% male here, calls moron on vig, heh.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I work at HER Interactive... That has to tell you something about the humor in my statement. I totally understand we are an anomaly. But thanks for stating the obvious captain IQ.

Yes its like an episode of Bosom Buddies around here. Excuse me, I have to go adjust my wig and these panties are riding high...

...psst thats more humor
  • bethadillon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HA! You never said anything about HER Interactive. Yeah, that makes a difference.

- Beth
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Eh, i don't really see the point. Women aren't barred from entering any other competition -- several entered Dominance War 3. Just because there aren't many in the industry doesn't mean we need gender exclusive contests, or something, it's not like female artists aren't competing with men and women for jobs.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    lets have a man only comp. Best penis wins!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I think that alot of women dont tend to like the subject matter in some of the big game art competitions we have, that being said they do have room to improvise around the topics in stuff like dominance war if they are inventive. It doesnt all have to be big sweaty fighting machines.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I don't see the issue as the games industry is unfriendly towards women, I believe that historically games playing was dominated by guys. Now that the actual playing of games is becoming more even amongst the sexes you will see more women considering games as a career choice.

That being said, I think an essay writing competition is actually rather weak - if you want to encourage women into the games industry, why go that route? I find that quite demeaning in all honesty - write an essay to get a place an art school.

For what it's worth, we have female artists in most of the art departments - Props, interiors, maps, animation, branding. We also have a few female coders although they are a rarer breed.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
  • bethadillon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting Rick! Yes this has a lot of hold. I've ranted about this too (the whole expecting the car just to be pink thing), and have had several responses from other women in game industry as well, and those who are making games for women. http://gamedev.sessions.edu/careers/women-in-game-industry/

Personally, I don't know if I'm so much interested in making games for women, but games I like to play. So co-op or multiplayer, good sense of story and humor, and surprising new eye-catching mechanics that make me go "ooo." Like Portal. Or the Wii... which is being accused of being a "toy" instead of a game console in media right now.

On the contest, the award is a scholarship to a game art school. Essay contests are fairly typical for scholarship contests all around, men, women, somewhere in-between. I think it's just a matter of how they worded it, with an emphasis on the industry piece rather than the education piece.

- Beth
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally agree, we don't need games "made for women" we need more "games women like to play". Like Rick said, we don't need more pink games with falling jewels. I think we'll see more women joining the ranks as time goes on and the industry grows. I think it will take time, but it will happen as interest grows, I'm not sure if we need to nudge it along?

I'm not sure we need contests that treat women like they are some under privileged minority who is under the ever oppressive boot heal of the man. That kind of sets them up to think "your different, you'll be treated differently". Almost the opposite of the message of equality and fairness that should be sent?

I am all for women joining the ranks by normal means of evaluation if they are the best candidate for the job. If I was a female looking to join the industry, I wouldn't want to be treated differently because I was female and someone had a quota to fill. I think they would rather be treated as a candidate then a female-candidate.

It's a hard line to walk, how do you encourage female participation in an industry without singling them out and drawing distinctions... I tip my hat for trying =)
  • bethadillon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think ultimately, at least as far as the competition is concerned, you get the skills through educating yourself and then you break in on the merit of your... ability to do the job. I am sure, although I can't speak for all women, that they'd all agree we don't want to be Othered or somehow privileged in the name of gender diversity.

Uhh by the way, is it Microsoft recruiters who get an extra gold star and a pay bonus if they get a woman hired? Diversity star! Now, if the recruiter gets that person involved because they're the right person for that job, great. Otherwise, that system creates a bias.

I'm not sure anyone really truly knows what "games for women" are. Sure, there's the casual games publicity stunt, and yes, I too like games like Lumines (I admit it!). But Bejeweled is way too slow for me. So what does that mean? I don't know that there's one right answer, but certainly some women are looking for it in an effort to facilitate girls playing games. And that doesn't just mean a pink layer over everything, it means different game mechanics, and I think that's the key.

- Beth