Home General Discussion

DropBox (you should read this)

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
small_logo.gif

I recently got in to the DropBox beta and have 9 remaining invites for anyone who'd like to use it.

http://www.getdropbox.com/home

It's awesome for anyone who wants to share files from home, work, or anywhere.

More importantly: It has a lot of practical uses for many of us here at Polycount:
  • Instantly share images, no need for server space online
  • Instantly create a portfolio if one is needed in a pinch, or if you want to show a batch of images quickly
  • Unlimited storage & bandwidth
    • For the beta, its locked @ 2GB
  • Revision control <--AWESOME
    • Awesome for us artists. Every time you SAVE a file, its copied on their servers and you can roll back to it at any point.
  • Access your files from any computer, even those without it installed.
    • DropBox has an online interface that you can login from anywhere.
Here are some examples of things I've mentioned above, using files on my computer:

This image is on my computer, and I simply right clicked it, clicked on Dropbox, then clicked on "Copy public link". Voila!
ft1_thumb.jpg

And here's an example of making a portfolio in a pinch:
My portfolio!

So, who wants an account? Send me a PM with your email and you're in. They'll go to the first 9 people who PM me. However! Anyone who gets in a beta, including those I've invited, will also get 10 invites to send to people so really, anyone who wants in on this can.

The way the invites work is the first 9 people will share a folder with me called "Polycount". If you want to invite 10 more people yourself, make a NEW folder and share that folder with them, not the Polycount one. Make sense?

Once this is out of beta there will be a monthly fee for this, so it won't be free forever. But its definitely a service I think we can all use here.

Replies