polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
rawkstar polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    For real? Cool, looking forward to some gameplay info or screenshots. :)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    YAY.... I need to kill some more demons...
  • georgemancer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking forward to seeing the new engine, assuming there is one.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Woah! Can't wait!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    aw man when you guys going to make a sequel to quake 1 ;P
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looking forward to seeing the new engine, assuming there is one.

I imagine it'll be the same one as Rage...
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    *dramatic voice* This time the corridors are... darker.

On the one hand this is awesome, but on the other hand I'm hoping they do something more with it than just a straightforward corridor shooter with zombie closets. Doom3 was a nice revisit to the endless corridor games with identical enemies that you mow down in droves in order to progress through a non-existent story.

Then quake 4 did it too, and damn that was boring. I hope Rage and D4 both take a more refreshing path. But either way I'm sure it will look awesome. (and plastic)
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    hope that they continue to go more survival horror with doom 4
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find it a bit strange that they are announcing this with rage still in the works, but hey there are definitely some good opportunities for people looking for work at a respected company like id. I do hope they branch out a bit more with their new games, they have lost heir edge in recent years.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I really hope this game is good. I've no doubt it'll look glorious. I dare id to actually innovate, instead of just refining.

from the press release:
    "It's critical for id Software to have the best creative minds in-house to develop games that meet the standards synonymous with our titles."

Please, please John Carmack, realize the potential of this statement, and fire your gameplay designers. Buy them all ferarris and throw them a huge coke party, but kick them out. I want so badly to lose myself in an id game again, but I swear to god if I see more cyborg zombies shambling down shiny scifi hallways getting shot with pistols and shotguns, I'm gonna bfg myself. I realize this is doom... so they can't stray that far.... but with people like rawstar and, well, everyone else at id, it just seems like a waste of talent. Unleash the id beasts, really get people excited about an id game, and prove the cynical fucks (like myself) wrong.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    dfacto wrote: »
    *dramatic voice* This time the corridors are... darker.

On the one hand this is awesome, but on the other hand I'm hoping they do something more with it than just a straightforward corridor shooter with zombie closets. Doom3 was a nice revisit to the endless corridor games with identical enemies that you mow down in droves in order to progress through a non-existent story.

Then quake 4 did it too, and damn that was boring. I hope Rage and D4 both take a more refreshing path. But either way I'm sure it will look awesome. (and plastic)

I actually had to cheat in order to force myself to finish Doom 3, I got that bored with the damn game. Q4 was fun though, can't really hate on it.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I'll just keep playing Quake3Arena and eventually QuakeLive. Q3A never got old. Maybe someday id will revisit that project.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    check your hotmail V
  • georgemancer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    I imagine it'll be the same one as Rage...

Ah, ok. Works for me.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    I actually had to cheat in order to force myself to finish Doom 3, I got that bored with the damn game. Q4 was fun though, can't really hate on it.

For me it was Q4. I literally stopped halfway through and said, "What the fuck am I doing?" and then grabbed the cheats so I could just cruise through and see what happens to the main character. After killing the exact same enemies all game I just stopped giving a crap about the actual meat of the game, because the meat was bland.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    same happened to me with Doom3, got very irritated (also hated the fact that you are moving around so slow and checking every nook and cranny for monsters in such a linear game) so i whacked on the cheats so i could go to the end fast, discover the ID software PDA Easter egg and see what happens story wise.

Though i still cant wait for this next one, love hearing about sequels.
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Hmm I was a fan of Doom3, it was Doom2 with better graphics. Really, Doom is all about running around killing cybornetic monsters with shotguns and RPGs = win.
  • Mark Dygert
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Teaser screenshot!

doom4_cppoa3tgsdzavn7aec03.jpg

Kidding aside, bring on the technology!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Brome, you forgot the brown hue to everything!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i was serious though, i damn well would pay good money for some quake sequel action. demons and slipgates and ranger and such. OR! maybe a game from Sarges perspective, before he got sucked into the arena. eh? eh??
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    hang on thats quake not doom, wheres the over contrasted interior shots.

edited for thickness in the presesnce of beer
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster wrote: »
    i was serious though, i damn well would pay good money for some quake sequel action. demons and slipgates and ranger and such. OR! maybe a game from Sarges perspective, before he got sucked into the arena. eh? eh??

I agree

Less imps more shamblers
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Loved the first two Doom games, the third one really missed the mark for me. Here's hoping the fourth rocks my jocks.

-caseyjones
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    TheSplash wrote: »
    I agree

Less imps more shamblers

are you on drugs? imp hordes ftw, circle-strafing giant electrobeam shooting monsters while holding the left mouse button down is boring as hell.

then again, you rarely encountered more than 1 monster at a time in doom 3.
    and to top it off they were all dumber than butter on bread.
    all you were doing in doom 3 was walk in one direction, and wait for your enemies to appear either in front of or behind you.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    dumber than butter on toast, man your sights are set tooo high, thats a thing of beauty and brains there, add some marmite and phew youve got it made
  • vonWolfehaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye. I wasn't too pleased with the third incarnation of Doom--I enjoyed the first two because they were the Serious Sam of their time, and it was glorious. Hopefully id will return to their roots this time.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Q3A was the shit! The gamers still playing all say the same thing, "I wish there was a new version out". Don't believe pop on in some servers and ask yourself it's a seller for sure. Shit I am one of them, I'd buy a spiced up version of Q3A any day.

On topic I hope Doom 4 kicks ass though and doesn't have us buying a new system to play it, Hah but I'm sure it won't be out as soon as we all want but it's good news non-the-less, thanks for sharing!
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Quake 4 and Doom 3 was unbelievably predictable in the gist of things...but I'm confident with this one...
  • vonWolfehaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $!nz wrote: »
    Q3A was the shit! The gamers still playing all say the same thing, "I wish there was a new version out". Don't believe pop on in some servers and ask yourself it's a seller for sure. Shit I am one of them, I'd buy a spiced up version of Q3A any day.
    What?! That's exactly what Quake4 multiplayer is--spiced up Q3A. Have you never seen it?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    quake4's multiplayer is quake 3 multiplayer not quake 3 arena
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uh. What's the difference?
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Q4 multi seemed like an upgraded q3a to me. It was pretty good, but not enough people online. Then again I'm not a discerning Quake fan.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    dejawolf wrote: »
    are you on drugs? imp hordes ftw, circle-strafing giant electrobeam shooting monsters while holding the left mouse button down is boring as hell.

then again, you rarely encountered more than 1 monster at a time in doom 3.
    and to top it off they were all dumber than butter on bread.
    all you were doing in doom 3 was walk in one direction, and wait for your enemies to appear either in front of or behind you.

yeah....kinda sad. Doom 3 kept me entertained, but didn't feel like the same adrenaline, frantic. crazy monster-fest that the earlier games were. I felt Painkiller was a more fitting Doom 3 than Doom 3 was!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    For me Doom 3 was, arguably, some the best parts of Doom revisited. What I remember fondly about the Doom series wasn't the hordes of demons to be mowed down, but the fear I felt as a young kid playing it a 2am with the lights out. Every imp grumble and door hissing open & shut was a shiver down my spine.

D3 had its annoyances to be sure but I enjoyed it and the expansion very much. My primary issue was the monster in a closet scares and the flashlight issue.

I think they crafted enough atmosphere that a slightly higher difficulty level and less forgiving save-game system might have delivered the requisite tension, ala the first AVP game from Rebellion (still my fav in the AVP series).

And as for multiplayer...Doom was the first game I every played multi and was probably one of the last. I have fond memories of fragging my buddies when I was a freshman in HS but...thats it. I hate multiplayer games.
  • rebel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i had so much fun with doom3 on xbox live,
    i was pretty dissapointed when people stopped playing it..
    cant wait for doom4!
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i found half life 2 far more eerie than doom 3, mostly due to the 3d threat.
    even today i find the sound of a fast zombie unsettling, and having them crawl up walls and come dropping down from roofs.. well, made me jump in my seat on several occasions.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    even today i find the sound of a fast zombie unsettling

The poisonous headcrabs have that effect on me, but bug winged demon babies, and screaming flaming heads + all the other crap was just scarier for me. HL2 is fun and feels "sciency" not as scary for me.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i guess its the fact that i could race forward in doom 3 without fear of dying that mostly tore it down for me. in half life, if you ran in 1 direction, sooner or later you'd run right into an ambush you'd have no hope of escaping. so on many occasions you had to ease forward instead of run along the one corridor like you would in doom 3, and the threat would appear either in front of you or behind you. and monsters would always cue you in on when they spawned, with some sort of shriek or noise, instead of welcoming you with a bullet to the head.
    plus they were all running along at a blistering pace of 2kph.
    the only part of doom 3 where i ever felt some sort of threat, was the pinky demon.
    pinky demon + tight corridors = scary.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Uh. What's the difference?

my bad, was thinking q3a meant team arena.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i found half life 2 far more eerie than doom 3, mostly due to the 3d threat.
    even today i find the sound of a fast zombie unsettling, and having them crawl up walls and come dropping down from roofs.. well, made me jump in my seat on several occasions.

Yeah definitely, hl2 is like a great thriller, while doom3 is like a cheesey haunted house, nothing really scares you, it just surprises you when you turn around and trigger hidden hole in wall #54567 where imp spawns and attacks you. And even then its so repetitive that you're always expecting that, and its no longer even a surprise. HL2 is great at building real tension.

And fuck i HATED those poison headcrabs omfg.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    I played doom 3 again just a few nights ago and I gotta say the area it really falls down in is the first person shooter bit.

Shooting something should be fun. Right?

Gunmen run at you, so in the tight space given to you, the only sensible thing to do it tag each corner in memory as you progress, then cap off three shots, back to the last point, fire again, back off, and so on. Extremely dull, the hits are not satisfying. Gahhhh. The mood and art was great.

Is it too much to ask for a satisfying moment where you feel skillful and powerful, as opposed to in too tight a corner? games design. games design. games design.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to bring an old thread back up but it seems ID is stealing a friend of mine from monolith for the game. So any of you guys working on doom, make sure to give John M shit for me when he starts. Hes a great guy and a great designer so take good care of him.
  • mrawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrawolf greentooth
    sell. sell NOW
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    fs man i thought there had been an update
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    cooperative game is a MUST!

I loved the atmosphere created with quake 1, shamblers, fiends, knights, etc.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    good luck getting a working Visa :(
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Doom 3 I was a bit underwhelmed. It had it's scary moments, like the mirror, but it got real repetitive - enter room, shoot demon, find key to door, unlock door, enter next room, repeat.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Doom 4?

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2012/02/rumor-doom-4-cancelled-leaked.html

bunch of screens leaked looks like Rage somewhat so im guessing there real? could be one of the guys that recently got laid off leaking these screens so it makes alot of sense.
  • xvampire