Home General Discussion

Grand Theft Auto IV Chat

Replies

• ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm a few hours into it. I stole a car from a guy, then he ran after me and had his hand on the door handle, I put the car in reverse and dragged him a block! Scored with Michelle. Loving the combat, much more solid than anything the series had. Glad the game came with a month of free Gold membership because the reviews all say the multiplayer is awesome. The series has finally made the jump to current consoles and it is great.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    IGN's Ladies of Liberty
    http://boinkology.com/2008/04/29/the-ladies-of-liberty-city/

we played Cop N' Crooks last night, the multiplayer is extremely well done! If you guys want to meetup for some multiplayer send me an invite :D
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    we need to get a game organised for the weekend
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Marine wrote: »
    we need to get a game organised for the weekend

Seconded, hopefully late at night PST.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    omg I got it...

very cool game, well written so far

not too impressed by the visuals, especially compared to burnout paradise, even though the world seems way bigger, and tons of awesome gameplay, but again, GTA isn't for the visuals, but for all the cool ass stuff you can do in there :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'd be down for a late night match this Saturday. I'm PST timezone. I'd say Sunday but /// is already planning a day-long MP fest.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Just got it :)

Cool to see polycounters in the credits. Rick is high up in the list as a character TD. Nice!
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    Been playing it on the PS3 since yesterday.. very fun and congrats to the dev team. I found a baseball bat early in the game and stole a motorcycle.. drove it to the beach and proceeded to beat people up for money.. good times. Love out running the cops and shooting em up from the car..haha. Michelle is a slut, she hasn't said NO yet. Aiming does take a bit getting used to.. and I'm surprised the cops dont chase you for driving crazy, blowing red lights, etc.

I haven't played any of the GTA's before.. this is the first one. I can say that if I wasnt leaving for Hawaii tomorrow I'd be holed up in my man cave playing it non-stop!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Some of the sales figures are starting to come in. Truly epic.

Halo3 first day sales topped at 266,000 units. Monumental. GTAIV? 335,000 - OVER 100,000 more than Halo3 - just insane, guys.
    It also looks to shatter the previous record for first-week sales (currently held by GTA:SanAndreas at 677,000 units). GTAIV just came out on Tuesday, and it's already sold over 600,000 units :)

Congrats!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I'm about 5 hours in, loving it. I don't understand why folks aren't impressed with the visuals as they are astonishingly well crafted.

Stripping them into their individual components and tried to measure their quality in a vaccum is not the way to judge with this game.
    Whats so amazing about the visuals is their collective transitional brilliance, the way that
    everything works like a real city ( the train scene) the way everything changes with the weather and day/ night shifts.

It all gels together so the world is more of character than your average top games character.

I've spent a lot of time just driving and walking around taking in the ever changing sights.

I'm not aware of any other game out there that has created so huge a world with so much fidelity, i think theres a lot of lessons here for the development community.

Loving the story and casting/ dialogue / music, its a rare thing to have a good story, rarer still to have a good adult story.

GTAIV is the videogame equivalent of The Wire.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Things you may not know list:
    • If you wheel spin for ages you back tires explode.
    • If you drive through fire (molotov) your wheels catch on fire and your tires will eventually pop then too.
    • You can bump into people running from cops and help them be arrested.
    • You can stand on people once they have been knocked over to stop them from getting up.
    • After doing missions for people they become your friend, and if you then do friendly activities (bowling/pool/darts/eating) it unlocks their special abilities, which can be quite useful actually, I won't spoil what they all are.
    • Its easier to escape a 3 or 4 star rating on foot then it is in car.
    • When your hard targeting someone you can move the aim to various parts of their bodies and shooting them there will react accordingly.
    • When holding LT to aim if you click the right thumbstick you zoom in.
    • You can damage a car to the point where it will no longer run.
    • You can see your character change the radio station
    Add to it!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adamBrome wrote: »

Just gotta say, you could do that in other GTA games as well ;)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Well here it is. Now people are against the drunk driving in the game.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6190213.html?tag=latestnews;title;3

"Drunk driving is not a game and it is not a joke," MADD said. "Drunk driving is a choice, a violent crime, and it is also 100 percent preventable."

WOW Seriously. What is next?
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    JesseMoody wrote: »
    Well here it is. Now people are against the drunk driving in the game.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6190213.html?tag=latestnews;title;3

"Drunk driving is not a game and it is not a joke," MADD said. "Drunk driving is a choice, a violent crime, and it is also 100 percent preventable."

WOW Seriously. What is next?

thats so dumb. Mayb the soccer moms need to do something like get a job and stop trolling the net like there 10 year old kid is doing in the next room...
  • headengine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    headengine polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago wrote: »
    Some of the sales figures are starting to come in. Truly epic.

Halo3 first day sales topped at 266,000 units. Monumental. GTAIV? 335,000 - OVER 100,000 more than Halo3 - just insane, guys.
    It also looks to shatter the previous record for first-week sales (currently held by GTA:SanAndreas at 677,000 units). GTAIV just came out on Tuesday, and it's already sold over 600,000 units :)

Congrats!

Even cooler; those figures are for Britain only, not worldwide.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    Things You May Not Know:

*there are 200 pidgeons throughout the city to shoot and kill. i think they should all have a red glow under them like dropped weapons but i've only seen one so far.

*not sure if this is accurate but i got a one star wanted level by doing a burnout in front of a cop car while waiting at a red light.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    drunk driving in the game is impossible. and you're almost instantly pulled over/put to one star and swarmed. It is downright impossible to drive well while drunk in the game, and 9 times out of 10 that ive tried ive either been arrested, or killed.

Its such a pinata for the people who hate things, because you literally can do *anything* in GTA without consequence. Hell, I'm going to start an orgainzation for Pedestrians who LOVE to jaywalk, and get pissed that in GTA you can easilly run people over so i can get on IGN or CNN.

If people would play the game not to do the things that are possible, and just do normal things.. like stop at red lights, drive with traffic, etc... they'd see you can do right. I almost have more fun obeying traffic laws, toll roads, pedestrians, etc than i do hauling ass around the city. I'm still early on, so i dont have a garage yet, but if i could keep one car i would :) When i get a date in the car I'm driving like a freakin' pro, if i could only use my turnsignals, i'd be set (i did shoot a cop once trying to see if bumpers did it...).

we all know media shit storms are coming, just hope they don't over shadow the achievements of R*, this game is a work of art :)
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Ah its too good. Im having problems connecting to the multiplayer (PS3) me and a friend had a lot of fun yesterday though. I was able to connect my bluetooth, and I have a question, can you call up two friends in multiplayer and have a chat only the three of you at the same time? I would test it but right now no multiplay, only a godly nice story to the single player! :P

I bet u guys are celebrating with some piswasser beer!

Oh and i found one pigeon yesterday but i didnt know what to do, today i have looked for that one and others and not found one... pretty amusing cruising around in a nice car looking for those. :)

edit moose right outside your "mansion" you can park 2 cars and they will be saved. (within the yellow lines)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I hate about 6 bottles of PissWasser last night at our party.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i've had ONE bottle of pi
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moose, I had absolutely no problem driving drunk in the game... must be from my real world practice....
    I kid, I kid! :poly106:

Seriously, though, most of the 'drunkeness' is your camera being all jacked up. They did the same trick in Vice City when you had to help the one redneck dude get to the hospital after he blew his arm off. If you just focus your eyes on the car itself and partly on the road around it, you can practically ignore the stupor and drive on home no problem. :poly142:

Whoever is responsible for putting the autosave-after-completion option in is friggin awesome. I so do not miss having to drive back to a safehouse after every mission in previous GTA's.

Things worth noting:
    • In MP, if you crouch, apparently your dot on the radar disappears.
    • At the bridge toll booths, if you're driving a cop car, you don't have to pay to go through.
    • There's a handgun on the roof of Perestroika (the bar / cabaret). Go backstage and out back, then use the stairs to get up on top. It's at the highpoint of the stairs on the roof.
    GTA IV Liberty City Google Map with locations:
    http://grandtheftauto.ign.com/maps/1/Liberty-City-Map
  • headengine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    headengine polycounter lvl 18
    danr wrote: »
    i've had ONE bottle of pi
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I drove roman home drunk last night and made it without the cops catching me hehe

It was VERY close though :)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I can't believe how much I'm enjoying it after having worked with it for about 3 years.

Favourite moment could be crashing a bike with Jacob on the back and knocking him unconscious. I decided to call an ambulance, but they only healed me. When the paramedic was going back to the ambulance, a car drove into him and he yanked the guy out of the drivers seat. The passenger of the car then punched the paramedic, and a passing cop car stopped and arrested the passenger.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice job guys, it is a very fun game!

I could pick minor holes in some individual parts (graphically and physically), but like Kevin said, it's not worth doing since the whole thing is more than the sum of its parts - it's a huge, working city, which holds up well to pretty much anything you do, and offers an INSANE amount of depth and attention to detail.

One thing - whoever did the tree/bush models and textures should be slapped repeatedly around the head. They're a drastic step down from the graphical quality of everything else, and it makes me cringe every time I see a tree. I don't usually try to be as blunt as this, but those really are nowhere near the quality or style of the rest of the world.

Anyway, very enjoyable.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Does it then become the fault of the artist who made them, or the manager that let them stay in the game? =P
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you're noticing trees, you're not driving fast enough
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I don't understand why folks aren't impressed with the visuals as they are astonishingly well crafted.
    You know it!

There was one moment in the game where I seriously was gobsmacked that I literally just paused with my jaw dropped. I took a sliding corner and hit this one area where the lighting and atmosphere just looked so amazing, it actually felt like I was watching a film and not playing a game.
    I understand the comments most people are making about the shadows being grainy, but I put that down to being the chosen art style more than it looking crappy. Especially when you look at the loadscreen art, it no longer has that crisp vector look. The edges on the shading aren't crisp at all. Plenty of rough lines giving it an almost speed paint quality but with polish. And that carries over on the 3D really well.

I love the way the cars handle as well. Really bouncy at times and most cars have the turning circle of a steamroller, but once you get used to the handling and knowing when to brake/handbrake/accelerate, it becomes really fun and it feels really nice.

Having accidents or just little dings in a car feels so much more real and scary than it ever has in any other car game I've played to date. The damage states on the cars are brilliant! It actually feels somewhat realistic. Even with minor smashes I cringe and have an "ooooohhh" moment. Even the way the characters get thrown around in the car during impacts just adds to it all.

I haven't managed to get a solid session in as of yet, just an hour here and there. But the more I play, the more I love the game.
    Really looking forward to looking for all the hidden shit and really get a chance to listen to all the radio stations. Did get a chance to watch some of the TV... BRILLIANT!

Any Aussie dudes want to do some multi? I'm keen, just picked up a headset and 12 months XBL gold. I'll probably even join some of you US/UK folk if need be. Added a bunch of you to my friends last night.

-caseyjones
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still falls on the artist for doing a half-baked job and accepting it as done. He / she should have come in on the weekend and done it right! ;)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine wrote: »
    if you're noticing trees, you're not driving fast enough

Hahahahaha, seriously... but then again, flying through what's left of my windshield isn't exactly my idea of fun. :poly128:
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and just a side note, we've started doing MP during the week. We have an hour-long lunch brake that is usually devoted to gaming, and for the time GTA 4 MP has taken the place of CoD4 MP. If you get an invite from me or see me playing around 12-1 PST, come on in. We usually don't use the headsets with the mic's, but if people start jumping in we can dig them out of our devkit boxes.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome game!
    Early on i grabbed a helicopter and decided to have a fly around towards the skyscrapers, fully expecting a big ass purple wall to jump up to stop me at any moment, But low and behold i got there and my stars jumped to 6 :P
    Was fun flying around watching the army trucks chasing a helicopter with miniguns :D

Are there tanks in this game, i havent seen any yet but i havent really gone exploring i am just really enjoying the side missions and activities.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Some nice touches like blood stains on your clothes if you're not at 100% health.

I think some multiplayer this weekend would be a good choice. gang up and kill rick :P
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't experienced any bugs but this one is hilarious!
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/211143.html
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I just had a big laugh when I was driving around the docks, nearly hitting people, and to avoid getting hit they dive into the water! HAHA!
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Brucie is awesome! STAY ALPHA!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    UPDATE:

Things you may not know list:
    • If you wheel spin for ages you back tires explode.
    • If you drive through fire (molotov) your wheels catch on fire and your tires will eventually pop then too.
    • You can stand on people once they have been knocked over to stop them from getting up.
    • After doing missions for people they become your friend, and if you then do friendly activities (bowling/pool/darts/eating) it unlocks their special abilities, which can be quite useful actually, I won't spoil what they all are.
    • Its easier to escape a 3 or 4 star rating on foot then it is in car.
    • When your hard targeting someone you can move the aim to various parts of their bodies and shooting them there will react accordingly.
    • When holding LT to aim if you click the right thumbstick you zoom in.
    • You can damage a car to the point where it will no longer run.
    • You can see your character change the radio station
    • Theres a little gas canister on the side of hot dog stands you can shoot to make it explode.
    • You can call the paramedics on 911 and they will come to heal you. You can call the police and fire too.
    • Cars can be damged to the point where the bodywork is so bent a wheel may get stuck and your driving with only 3 wheels spinning. (best car damage ever!)
    • You can check your cash balance at ATM machines.
    • Call the cops if someone is attacking you and they will be arrested.
    • You can spray water at people with fire engine and blow them over.
    • There are random people on the strreet here and there marked by a little green symbol. Stop and talk to them and they will give you missions to do.
    • Aim your gun at people in cars and they will put their hands up and get out.
    • If you shoot or drive into the petrol pumps you get a massive explosion.
    • Your dates comment on your clothes and car and remember what you were wearing/driving last time.
    • If you do the most wanted missions from the police computer you can pick up a lot of free guns and ammo from the crims that you might not be able to buy.
    • Theres a car store on the central island called gotti where you can steal the fastest cars.
    • Theres a digital clock tower which you can see when going over one of the bridges that displays the real in game time.
    • If your opening the door on a car you're stealing and someone drives away you get dragged along by the car with your hand dangling from the handle. It's the same if you drive away while someones trying to take there car back.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its the best game I've played in a long time. I forgot how much fun sandbox games are. My only beef is that they manage to squeeze rap into just about every station. The rest of it is pure gold especially pool and darts. I'm going to be playing it for a long long time. The animations are much improved and seem to blend much better then previsous games, but the hands are still kind of lacking. I guess you gotta pick your tech battles and hands lost out again, not sure if Mo-Cap is to blame?

Whats up with the girlfriend, mafia, mafia, mafia do you know about the mafia bla bla bla. Bitch please, you're going to get me arrested, remind me why I put up with you?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Whats up with the girlfriend, mafia, mafia, mafia do you know about the mafia bla bla bla. Bitch please, you're going to get me arrested, remind me why I put up with you?

Michelle? To me, she sounds like a cop.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »
    drunk driving in the game is impossible. and you're almost instantly pulled over/put to one star and swarmed. It is downright impossible to drive well while drunk in the game, and 9 times out of 10 that ive tried ive either been arrested, or killed.

Its such a pinata for the people who hate things, because you literally can do *anything* in GTA without consequence. Hell, I'm going to start an orgainzation for Pedestrians who LOVE to jaywalk, and get pissed that in GTA you can easilly run people over so i can get on IGN or CNN.

If people would play the game not to do the things that are possible, and just do normal things.. like stop at red lights, drive with traffic, etc... they'd see you can do right. I almost have more fun obeying traffic laws, toll roads, pedestrians, etc than i do hauling ass around the city. I'm still early on, so i dont have a garage yet, but if i could keep one car i would :) When i get a date in the car I'm driving like a freakin' pro, if i could only use my turnsignals, i'd be set (i did shoot a cop once trying to see if bumpers did it...).

we all know media shit storms are coming, just hope they don't over shadow the achievements of R*, this game is a work of art :)

I've yet to be pulled over drunk, i even managed to evade a 2 star chase for about 3 minutes while drunk, eventually it gets a little easier if you give it some time. But even after all that i still counldn't drive straight, so i went to the restraunt and got food, that seemed to help =).
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i wasnt ever pulled over, and maybe it was just the area i was in, but i had about 8 cop cars on me the first night i got drunk :P i just rammed the piss out of everything until i finally had to jump out of my car, stumble around and eventually get nabed. I havent done it again since, so ill practice and get better :)

i hopped in a cab and jumped out, and it seemed to remove the drunk crazy cam.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I drove michelle home drunk after a visiting a bar, 2nd time in a row i got away with it.
    I think the trick is the same as in real life..... drive slower ;)
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    - Sometimes the cops start chasing you when you're driving drunk even if you arent causing any accidents.
    - On the driveway at Faustins house are two fine-ass cars to be found! There is also a really fast bike parked outside a radar tower on the airport(where the airstrips intersect). You can get different coloured sportscars at a car-dealer at the intersection downtown by the perseus clothing shop(the one near the park).
    - If you call a certain someone you have killed before, his/her family will have changed the voicemail(could be a spoiler if I told the name).
    - You can actually date people from the internet(so far I only managed to get 1 positive reply though, wont spoil from who hehe).
    - You can get something funny at the statue of happiness.
    - If you are very late on a date(but just in time), the person you are dating with will complain about it.
    - You can steal forklifttrucks from the docks where you started the game.

Does anybody know if there are stealable planes in the game? Nothing happens when you try to enter the ones at the airport. Would be a shame because I loved the stunt planes from San Andreas! I also dont like the music as much as I did in San Andreas. Expect for that Ein, Zwei, Drei, Shiggy Shiggy Swai! song, its AWESOME!
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    I just done a bank job with Packie.. it was like the movie Heat. The explosions are *VERY* well done. Whats not go well done is the lighting model in places. Is it me or does it sometimes look like the textures are just completely ambient with no lights?

The mission structure is really frustrating when you fail, you shouldn't have to drive to the location again IMO. Still, it's staggering how much detail is in this, particularly the dialogue.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I'm gonna gripe about anything at all, it's something that I find to be annoying in both SP and MP... the cars....

Getting in and out takes *forever* and you are essentially a sitting duck while doing so. This is particularily frustrating in MP when you tried to mow someone down, get stuck, and need to get out of the car to shoot at them.

.. and my god do all the cars in Liberty City have bald tires? Everything seems to slide around like crazy.

That aside.. effing loving this game...
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Adam... something I just heard on the radio while playing MP..

They have Justice in the game!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah man, I know! I've heard them a few times now :P
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    flaagan wrote: »
    This is particularily frustrating in MP when you tried to mow someone down, get stuck, and need to get out of the car to shoot at them.

Left bumper! Cars are great cover and you can fire from inside of them, why get out if there are enemies right beside you?
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    because in-car aim sucks
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    is that just me or does Brucie sounds a LOT like FPS-doug ?