Home General Discussion

Grand Theft Auto IV Chat

Replies

• headengine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    headengine polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks to all for the comments, much appreciated by the R* North chaps on here.

Hope everyone enjoys it as much as we enjoyed making it.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    I've been going around reading reviews today, this really looks to be a career high for RockStar so congrats to those that worked on it. I hope you all get fat and bloated
    on the bonus plan payoff's that come from this.
    If you see MacNulty on a 360 DM game.. thats me, look forward to playing with some of you.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    I love the fact that the biggest game ever, the game everyone on the internet is talking about and gushing over is a game developed in Scotland. That'll teach 'em!
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Super wrote: »
    I love the fact that the biggest game ever, the game everyone on the internet is talking about and gushing over is a game developed in Scotland. That'll teach 'em!

I don't see why that's a big deal
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Keg: the games industry in Scotland almost died out a few years back but now its on the up and making world respected titles. I would guess that might have been super's point?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    adamBrome wrote: »
    99 on Metacritic for 360 version.
    100 on Metacritic for PS3 version.

What the fuck ?

Xbox world gave it a 98, PSW gave it a 10.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    well between this and APB, all seems healthy!
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    Telling from the video reviews and material the graphics look really nice.
    Gonna watch it on big hd screen in the office tomorrow (if anybody shows up, anyway) and pick up my copy as soon as possible.

So, I think, big fucking congrats are in order to all rockstar staff. Really nice one.
    Cant wait to play.

Now, I wish I would have a rockstar employee bank account...

curiosity inclines, Is there any official numbers? Production time, ppl on the project, budget, asset numbers, guitar hero highscores? anything you guys can share from behind the curtains for now would be nice.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Keg wrote: »
    I don't see why that's a big deal

Because it's so rare in every other media too. Almost everything 'big' comes from the US. Most popular music/films/games. And yet here is the biggest of them all coming out of Scotland. It's the equivalent of the American summer blockbuster but not American.

I asked my non-CG related friends where they thought this game was made while they queue for their midnight launches, they all said US which proves my point.
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So a local Hollywood Video broke the street date and sold a few copies this past weekend (only for a short while, till the clerk realized what he had done) and I got a chance to actually play the thing a wee bit early. Bloody well done, Rockstar chaps ! The city looks absolutely gorgeous, especially during the day. I'm guessing you guys used depth of field for the distant, background geometry ? Whatever the effect is, it works brilliantly, really sells the scale of the city.
    And the writing isthe strongest of any of the GTA's thus far.
    Anyhoo, well done again !
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    congrats to everyone at Rockstar North, it looks stunning! It will be hard to out do yourselves come GTA5 in the next 4 years.

Hit me up for some DM after midnight. xblive: harleyQ
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Because it's so rare in every other media too. Almost everything 'big' comes from the US. Most popular music/films/games. And yet here is the biggest of them all coming out of Scotland. It's the equivalent of the American summer blockbuster but not American.

I asked my non-CG related friends where they thought this game was made while they queue for their midnight launches, they all said US which proves my point.

I think it just proves your non-CG friends don't know about games :) The best-selling games of all are almost always Japanese, and I assume most gamers know that - Mario and Pokemon titles own the top twenty. GTA is pretty much the one exception as console best sellers go.

I think people would mistake the GTA series for being a U.S. product because the game's content is so American. The settings, the music, the voice acting, all of that stuff is so well-crafted to look and sound like an "American" experience. Vice City is such a spot-on recreation of 1980s Miami that you wouldn't immediately suspect a Scottish studio of pulling that off. It's actually a compliment to the lads at R* that they've done their job so well, no one can tell they're not Americans!

And yes, I'm picking my copy up in a little more than 12 hours :D
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Got mine this morning on the way to work, and had a crack during lunch.
    I'm hanging to get home and have a solid session... Suddenly I'm not feeling too well ;)

-caseyjones
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I know 2 people here in Japan getting it delivered. The first one will be my new best friend
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'm off in about 15 minutes to go stand in line. I went by Gamestop about an hour ago to 'finalize' my order. There were about 15 peeps standing outside. I'm not concerned it will get much larger than 30-40 people. I'm guaranteed my deluxe copy, so I'm not in a big rush :)
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    vermilion wrote: »
    I think it just proves your non-CG friends don't know about games

Well done on getting and missing the point.

ANYWAY, thanks to Amazon I'll be missing launch day fun, every bloody place is completely sold out I've tried. Shocking really that this situation can occur.

ss_preview_IMG_8159.JPG.jpg Wow.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    It, is mine. I have retired from game art and life itself until i have completed this. xD
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Got a statue of happiness statue :D microsoft had a couple cute girls in semi cop uniforms asking questions, taking mugshots and handing out prizes. mostly tshirts. I grabbed something that would sit in a corner cause it was too small.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Got the game, played for 3 hours. Am going to bed.

Oh - and its great.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    well, queuing for that was a NIGHTMARE

oooh my poor feet
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Got the game, played for 3 hours. Am going to bed.

Oh - and its great.

you played it for only 3 hours? and it was great?
    thats discipline...
  • Pedro Amorim
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    only played an hour last night. Love it.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    I just spent an entire hour playing pool with Roman. Very addictive!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just spent an entire hour playing pool with Roman.

And that right there is what makes GTA so damn good. So many mini-games that are basically full fledged games in their own right. These things can keep you occupied for hours, let alone the actual storyline. Although the story is linear, the game still packs a lot of replay value, as things can change the outcome so easily.
    I'd like to see the next GTA to have a fully dynamic mission system. Though that makes it impossible to do cutscenes and such, but it would still be nice :)

Sure is getting good reviews!

OPM - 5/5
    OPMUK - 10/10
    Game Informer - 5/5
    Play UK - 9.8/10
    Gameplanet - 10/10
    Gamespot - 10/10
    PSW UK - 10/10
    UGO - A+
    G4|X-play - 5/5
    IGN - 10/10
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    Any one else think the trees are appalling?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yes. Its like the paint blob colours then applied a random jitter effect to them. In fact many textures look that way.

In fact if it wasn't for the shadows being fucking awful, i think the game would look damn good, and could pass over the odd random texture that looks jittered. But those shadows... Jesus...
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Huge congrats guys at Rockstar, this game is awesome to the extreme :)

played til 5am (uuuughhhh sreepy today), and loving it. The characterization is so much better than other gtas, and just as a whole feels tight.

and, i fucking LOVE the gps.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »
    and, i fucking LOVE the gps.

I became quite addicted to that while playing Saints Row. I couldn't imagine GTA without it. :)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Just picked up mine.. I will be all over after work. OOOH YEAH
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I spend too much time watching the shop at home network in the game.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Anyone know if a european version of GTA will work on my xbox here in New Zealand?

Thanks to Australia's fucked rating system were all getting censored versions. I might order the real one from elsewhere.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    9hrs @ 17% so far..

Favourite thing to do: Call 911, get the cops to come, kill from a distance!
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Asmuel wrote: »
    Anyone know if a european version of GTA will work on my xbox here in New Zealand?

Thanks to Australia's fucked rating system were all getting censored versions. I might order the real one from elsewhere.

It should. 360 games control the regions they can be played in, not the 360. I've heard that the PAL (european) version works for all PAL systems and even NTSC-J (Japan).
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    IGN gave it a 10/10...hmmm

Just borrowed off a friend who got it today...much fun awaits.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    my only grip so far is the aiming. I can't free aim when there are people around without it locking, kinda annoying coming from SanAndreas for the PC :P
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Managed to pick up a copy from Best Buy during my lunch brake, refused to play it til I got home and had it on my projector. Good fun so far; looks great, plays well. I definitely like that the pace isn't dragged out at the start, nice to get some experience with difference things at the get-go.

Only thing I've had a problem with so far is trying to pick objects up. I got it to happen once by accident and haven't since then, even when told to do so for a mission.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    7.5 hours so far. on the first mission after getting to the second safehouse.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I got a $20 handjob from a fat hooker in the middle of a cemetery, sitting in the driver's seat of a stolen cab. Hooray for GTA!

http://ianmcque.blogspot.com/
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    sonic wrote: »
    It should. 360 games control the regions they can be played in, not the 360. I've heard that the PAL (european) version works for all PAL systems and even NTSC-J (Japan).

Thanks sonic :)

Better yet, anyone know anywhere in europe that will send it around the world?

I want handjobs from fat hookers too! ;)

EDIT: Anyone feel ripped after buying the Aussie version? No drunk driving, no hooker action? Anything like that?
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Rwolf wrote: »
    my only grip so far is the aiming. I can't free aim when there are people around without it locking, kinda annoying coming from SanAndreas for the PC :P
    On the X360 you can pull the aiming trigger halfway down and you'll be able to use free-aiming mode.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    a few guys loaded it up at the office yesterday .... spectacular work guys, you should be very proud!
  • Ozymandias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ozymandias polycounter lvl 18
    first off, I have to add my kudos to the Rockstar team, GTA IV is nothing short of incredible. I agree with everything everyone has said, the game looks great, plays great, the pacing is really good, and the writing/voice acting is the best in any GTA so far. The online stuff is really fun too, so far turf wars is my favorite.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two things that bug me a bit, but nothing major.

- Shadows. The edges are horrible grainy and at obtuse angles (like dusk under the Ltrain) the shadows make everything completely crap-ass blurry and grainy.
    - Pop up (360). I would have liked an option to install to disk, like it does on PS3. I understand it couldn't be mandatory because not all 360's have hdd's. But an option would be nice. I walked into my safe house and the stair railing took a good 5 seconds to load in, just popping in from nowhere. I've also seen a few places where I can rotate the camera around and the lod's swap on entire buildings as I stand right next to them. :(

Otherwise, I'm in love :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    about 5 hours in. Pure sweetness.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Props to the R* guys, I've had a blast playing the game so far.

I'm constantly surprised by the amount of dialogue and attention that is payed to details.
    Like picking up the first girl for a date, at one point I had went and bought new shoes (I don't know why i did it... ) and as soon as she sits in the car she comments on how my new shoes look.
    That kind of 'alive' feel is all over and it's really great fun to play.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Quite literally played for nearly 12 hours straight when I got home from work... hooooo yah this game effin rocks.

Oh, and sorry to the peeps that were messagin me up about doin some MP, another time~.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Vassago wrote: »
    Two things that bug me a bit, but nothing major.

- Shadows. The edges are horrible grainy and at obtuse angles (like dusk under the Ltrain) the shadows make everything completely crap-ass blurry and grainy.
    - Pop up (360). I would have liked an option to install to disk, like it does on PS3. I understand it couldn't be mandatory because not all 360's have hdd's. But an option would be nice. I walked into my safe house and the stair railing took a good 5 seconds to load in, just popping in from nowhere. I've also seen a few places where I can rotate the camera around and the lod's swap on entire buildings as I stand right next to them. :(

Otherwise, I'm in love :)

I believe the issue with having an option to use the hard drive is that most people have either no hard drive or a 20gb. And I've found the 20gb can quickly be used up. Not to mention if microsoft let Rockstar do it now, every other company would expect to be allowed to also.

I've noticed a couple issues with the shadows myself. the blurryness I would guess is from the shadow map size. Also seen a couple buildings with flickering on them.

Once again excellent work from Rockstar, kudos to everyone to worked on the game. I'll be game for multiplayer later on. I want to finish the single player storyline first.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I second the thing about the shadows. They look great in youtube videos of the game though. In 1080p though they don't hold up well. The tilt on the main guy when you turn him while walking is weird. Other than that I'm digging it. Definitely more GTA. But aside from the awesome PSP ones I haven't played a GTA in years so this is great. Marketing did a great job on this. I haven't seen one commercial for it yet everyone is talking about it.