Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hoverbot/Turret-WIP

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
Here is the highpoly for a mesh I'm doing for a game project in school. it's supposed to be a hover robot that folds out to a turret standing on ground, those guns on the side comes out and legs on the front and the back, though you can't see the legs in the pics. ill take some new shots tomorrow. really need to get some sleep.

My main concern is the design for the turret legs (which you can't see yet) have been redoing them for more than a week now, please feel free to come with ideas for them when i put up the pics tomorrow. thanks :)

XkzSjbeJb.jpg

Replies

• oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    looks cool. nice and clean work. :) Maybe check out the droideka from star wars for some ideas. Or the tripod things from war of the worlds.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks :) i have tried with some ideas from the droideka no luck so far, maybe ill look into it some more. don't remember how that tripod looks like, will check it out :)
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so here is some pics from the unfolded turret robot, don't really like how the legs look, did have some more advanced legs earlier but i thought they would be hard to do well in the lowpoly,

i would really be happy to get some ideas for new legs and ways to transform.

fQNfPCCLu.jpg
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    This is great stuff! Very clean modeling, and nice render too. Looking forward to the texture bakes :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Great work, Jonas. The modeling is really sharp and easy to read. Love it :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    So nice! Love the model and render style.
    Did you model it rounded from the ground up? Or did you model it flat, then bent it later? Just curious.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone please come with ideas for the legs too if you have any :),
    Thanks for all the (off the forum) help ivars.

ahh yeah i modeled it from the rounded form,, guess model it flat first would help timewise.
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Looks awesome, really nice shapes that read well. As for legs, i think that shape could sit nicely on a tripod design :)
  • NightFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NightFox polycounter lvl 18
    That's a pretty cool design there. If they ever start making a new Descent game, I could definitely see it getting some love there.

It would be interesting to see if you have any animation sketches or just a rough animation of the bot of what you feel the transformation should look like.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    looks cool. a bit bulky to be hovering around, i imagine it puttering no more than a foot off the ground.

go with simple legs, simple shapes - it just needs three contact points for stability, no need for fancy joints and such.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks,, have some rough animations, and a animation for the guns, as i built it just for the animation. i think ill post them when i get to the lowpoly, trying to finish some 1st person weapons for a deadline , so i guess ill start working on this again in a couple of days.

Sectaurs: this robot is for an FPS and all the robots are going to hover close to the ground, this is supposed to be the bulky and slow defense unit. When i first started thinking on how to do the legs i tried to do it with lots of joint and stuff, but it didn't really go to well with the rather clean look that the rest of the main body has, so i was thinking on doing a really simple treansformation with the legs.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    wow, don't know how i missed the post with the legs.

i like what you've got, but usually the two legs of a tripod are in back, for stability against the recoil.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah very true, dont really know where i could hide the legs in the back though, but sure there is always a way
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so i havent done any updates here at all, I'm really bad at this, anyways the game project ended this friday, and as i have a free weekend i thought i could take some time and make a update hehe.

My schedule was really tight in the end and i had to do textures for a whole lot of models at the same time. so all my texture work got really rushed. really need to follow my schedule better.
    Started redoing the texture for the droid in 2048 today, the one i post now has 1024maps, also i didnt really like the overall result, though it wasn't finished. Summer vacation starts soon and i'll be able to go loose on anything i want :D so i hope to redo textures for some of the stuff i have done before including this.

The weapon is one of the first person weapons i did for the game,

sbTkLWegO.jpg

gHCPscGYL.gif

udsBJLdbt.jpg

uyOfUhOWL.gif
  • SuPa-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Looking really awesome! And nice animations
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks :),, i see now that it's easy to see where it got a bit stressy, the legs really stick out for being way too undetailed and just stupid hehe,, but i guess it's also because they still doesnt have any texture on them, wish i could redo them, hope i can make them a bit more interesting in the next texture.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Really nice

Alex
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    nice work as always Jonas, now gogo make great stuff for your portfolio during summer vacation ;D
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Jonas, can you post your wire? (The high res) I'm learning how to sub d model and it would really help cause you have some nice clean/ hard edges that look great.

Awesome work so far man, animations really bring this piece to life :)
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks everyone :)

Jason: haven't really done this much either still only my second model with a highpoly to lowpoly normalmap, so don't take everything i say as it was right :P.

i just do it the only way i know, put the edges closer to the other depending on how sharp i want it to look, as i like it very sharp i tend to put them as close as my eye can see.

shKpRlyNn.jpg