Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yah don't worry about that, well sort it out when the time comes. :D
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I don't know about anyone else but I don't give a crap about the logo saying 'we're a game artist community!' the name says that. Polycount is a home away from home.. I want the logo to be welcoming and familiar, and the old design does that spot on
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Well i had the idea of re-incorporating the wireframe back into the smiley, so its representative of what we are about like kwakkie was saying. The smiley is obviously representative of forum discussion, and the triangulated wireframe would make it clear we talk about game art, atleast to those who know what they are looking at.

I couldn't come up with a design I liked all that much myself lol. and I'm bogged down with work. If anyone wants to run with it, go ahead. If the idea sucks, flag it.
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    for a matter of simplicity this wont work. i think its just not a good idea to make a logo with wireframes, we all know what wireframes look like. logos better be as simple as possible. easy rememorable shapes. i dont see that with a wireframe to be the case ...

for those who believe its better to have no dots anyway... whatever! :P
    thought it might be a nice thing to have before the claim starts.
    personally i dont need the claim and alot of people dont. and if u look
    close at all the other logos i posted earlier. they are hard to read often anyway.
    depending on the size. so im not clear myself what to do abotu that...
    just my 2 cents
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    The top one is the one from yesterday, the second one is in response to someone saying I should do the logo in White, like qube - I also messed around with the proportions a bit, bringing it even further in line with qube's idea (Plagarism? Maybe a little. Flattery? Maybe a lot ;)) But, since this is a videogame forum, and no self resepecting game artist uses pure white (right?), I actually did it in 200,200,200, which means it shows up resonably well even on a pure white background.
    PolyLogo3.gif

OK, I'm done - I have to stop unless someone specifically asks me to do more - I have other stuff I need to do ;)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I like the middle one. however how does it look if you translate the reflecting of the grey bar into the rest of the stuff on there
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Whatever happened to the 'it's a constant costume party'? That definitly needs to be around here somewhere.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    honestly, those white backgrounds are painful. have you guys checked your monitors? and greentooth filled with white makes it worse. that's not a good direction. MY TWO SENSE!

i miss the old logo already. no more of this green on gray, gray on white >_<

GREEN AND BLACK!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    how about white on awesome?

I was going to try this with Harle's as well but his PSD has gone missing. MISSING!

Qubers:
    pcount_headeridea6.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naw, looks too much like a banner ad. Even though the art rocks.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    pfft to banner ad!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    < reaches for the adblock >
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I like seeing some of the community artwork cycled through the header. It adds some color to the page, and honors the talent here. .my 2 cents.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    < reaches for the adblock >

<Reaches for the ban button!> :poly106: hahaha jk!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You and Vito, like peas in a pod.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Dear heavens it does look like a banner ad. Thanks a lot, Eric. :P

;D
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You guys are incorrigible. It's fine! REALLY.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    There, I replaced the White with black on the last one just to save everyone eyestrain. I'm nice me (You may need to refresh to see it and save your eyes, or not bother and just don't look at it).

I have to say, that while I like qubes logo generally, I don't like qubes logo on the banner ad... urm, I mean on the awesome much. Just looks sort of lost there for some reason, poor thing. Maybe if it was more in the upper left orner, rather than centered vertically... I dunno - it's nice, but just looks out of place (mine'll probably look worse - wheee!).
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay pals i admit it my desktop theme is grey... i would have it darker if cs3 wouldnt stay white no matter what but i really didnt expect u guys to be so intollerant against white ... pals comon :D

jk
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Here's a few more... I hope harle & qube don't mind, I tried variations of what they gave me.

pcount_headeridea6b.jpg
    pcount_headeridea6d.jpg
    pcount_headeridea6c.jpg
    pcount_headeridea6e.jpg
    pcount_headeridea6f.jpg
    pcount_headeridea6g.jpg
    pcount_headeridea6h.jpg
    pcount_headeridea6i.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm partial to the first one and the 3rd from the bottom.
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    touchup.gif

okay this is detail stuff. moved letters closer together changes size of the smiley some and moving it a bit... maybe thats one thing better towards the looseness critique harl had...

makin things a bit more compact dunno.
    its going its usually way things need a lil tuning by a fresh eye so doing it bit by bit is leading somewhere i think...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Second from top, second from bottom on adam's.
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam im not sure about where u put the claim it just doenst feel right to me.
    not that i didnt try that myself but it was just not going good for me.
    anyway it needs more room to "polycount" if its there. its too close

also i wouldnt go for axial?! i mean centered.
    i like the crome sort of effect u did on harls kinda.

adam could u maybe do some mock ups with different background images. the desert scene piece of yours was cool to. and some others if u have. i think we need to see some more background to see how things work when background changes... would be great.

nice cooporation there tho i must say.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Maybe we could make it into flash, and we could turn it into a sort of game. . .
    Like, maybe there could be this monkey, and a boxing glove. . . and the monkey keeps moving back and forth, and you have to try and punch it? I just figure we should work teh whole "videogame" thing into the banner ad . . . er. . . header art.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I think it would be cool to release a PSD with the logo and all users can create their own banner with their own personal art and name. If you're a trusted member you can be given access to a web interface where you upload your own image. The banner will randomly rotate each day or each time you go to a page so that there is a lot of member artwork up.
  • RustyFranks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustyFranks polycounter lvl 17
    thought i'd give it a try for fun ;) just was messing around in ps, trying to give it a little throwback feel to the old logo, while still being fresh and new. i dunno i kinda like what i came up with. not sure about the .net though.

here it is on the board

polycountonboardgx3.png

and here's a BG color comparison. the first one is the currently used gradient
    polycountcomparewf1.png
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe that *does* look like a motorbike forum logo here Rusty!

But it brings the interesting question of the .net and .com.

infact the website is www.polycount.com ,
    forum is http://boards.polycount.net
    and cottage info is located at http://www.polycount.net/

Maybe this needs some clarification?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    sonic wrote: »
    I think it would be cool to release a PSD with the logo and all users can create their own banner with their own personal art and name. If you're a trusted member you can be given access to a web interface where you upload your own image. The banner will randomly rotate each day or each time you go to a page so that there is a lot of member artwork up.

Supply their own bg image, yes, we will be doing that. Not exactly like you say. Quality control and such.
  • RustyFranks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustyFranks polycounter lvl 17
    pior wrote: »
    Hehe that *does* look like a motorbike forum logo here Rusty!

But it brings the interesting question of the .net and .com.

infact the website is www.polycount.com ,
    forum is http://boards.polycount.net
    and cottage info is located at http://www.polycount.net/

Maybe this needs some clarification?

aha thanks for clearing that up. i haven't actually checked the front page in a long while so couldn't remember and am too lazy to look it up :poly126:. oh well, was just for fun and to cure boredom :poly105:
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm not going to check out this thread for awhile. I don't want to feel like I/we are running around in circles over this logo and will come back to it once more after the Dominance War to see if much else has been said. We have a fairly good idea what the header is going to look like and in the mean time will try and iron down the logo behind the scenes. I forget who said it, but we're starting to get too many chefs in the kitchen here and I don't want to lose focus.

Huge thanks from me and the rest involved for the input from everyone. It really really is helpful to see the thoughts on this, as a lot of you say - this is home. It's an impossible task to make everyone happy immediately. But, with the help of the professionals we have here, I am sure what will come out of the machine will be something you all will come to love.

Hit me up in PM's if you wanna chat more about it! :thumbup:
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well. im with qubism. he's logo is the best here. more professional and such. the others are good as well. but he's logo is top.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    yep, Qube = win
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    +1 for the last Qube version ! Simple and so old school :]
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I like Adam's second one and third one from the bottom if it matters. :P
    qube's are cool too.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I, for one, am not a fan of the banner ad idea, or qubism's new Mac/iPod friendly version of the logo.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quit living in the past ely!! :P
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    or qubism's new Mac/iPod friendly version of the logo.

I'd have to echo this, its good design...but it doesn't exactly scream Polycount.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well.. there's the type and there's the icon.
    the green smilie is what identifies polycount. its our trademark. just like apple has the apple and nike has the swosh. then theres the type. the type is just an anchor to the icon. in this case the rebranding of the type is very well done because it uses the old font but with a little twist.
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitmap is on my side yay! :D
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    bitmap wrote: »
    well.. there's the type and there's the icon.
    the green smilie is what identifies polycount. its our trademark. just like apple has the apple and nike has the swosh. then theres the type. the type is just an anchor to the icon. in this case the rebranding of the type is very well done because it uses the old font but with a little twist.

Well then where's the rest of the header? I think everyone so far has had Greentooth and "Polycount" up on there so...
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    All that game art resource stuff makes us sound like turbosquid. I think it needs re-wording.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    maybe we should have a tagline instead. . . something like "Game Art and Duckbutter Enthusiasts" or "Art and Games and Stuff" or "Vertexes is not a word"

etc.
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea guys do some more thinkin on that. i dont like the extra text myself that much as it is rightnow

"its a constant costume party"
    what was the story behind that btw? anyone knows?

i sorta liked that. says nothing and all
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    I like qubism's text and logo. I like the simpleness, the spacing, the colors and it feels like polycount. The banners just destroy it for me. It feels more like polycount the pepsi add.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lolol
    constant costume party . yeah. no idea where that came from. although you could say that making skins is like costumes. so yeah. ... i have nothing
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    bitmaps right, its from all the skins and models you could download to play as

I think the middle is a bad place for the logo if the banner is supposed to serve as a showcase type deal.. bottom left worked much better in my eyes (and putting the focus in the center is always boring anyway ;) )

edit: i like qubes over the banner btw
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea rooster maybe not bottom but left is good. dont think centering works well here
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes. Back in the day, when polycount had a cool logo, it was possible to grab lots of new and fun models and textures for your pc game characters. And then you could play against your friends with your custom characters. It was like a party, with costumes. And then _____ came along and required all games to use only a palette of brown and gray under hard lighting. The world fell into darkness. Some survived. Others were never heard from again. :(
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leave the drugs kidd