Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    something tells me we're already there
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    HAHAHA, typical Polycount. Let's try and resolve an issue about the logo and then completely derail! We've covered abuse, arguements, blaming Per, cats, maths and sarcasm. We just need to bring religion into it, a spinning quad, credit Arsh for the use of his basemesh and then get gauss to lock the thread.

-caseyjones
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    You could use a rounder font and replace the O with the smiley.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    How about I bring it back on topic with the mock-ups I did many months ago when we flirted with the idea of changing this beast.

polycountlogos.jpg

Interest was shown in the top & bottom of the left column, so I did these:
    polycountlogos_idea1.jpg

As well, the bottom of the right column seemed to get some nods so I did these:
    polycountlogos_idea2.jpg

And alas, the logo you see at the top was born. But! Being the group of people you.. we.. are, change is unacceptable! So, you shall see the old logos face yet again in the near future.
    If you're nice.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Some of these are cool! But yeah the old one was neat aswell.
    I guess it's also a matter of finding the right size...

Good luck with everything. I actually have some ideas for a Polycount character hehe :P
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm sorry man but the O with the dots is just not reading as a polygon/quad for me, I didnt realize what it was till you explained it, and I still have to remind myself of it before I see it as one
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Ferg wrote: »
    I'm sorry man but the O with the dots is just not reading as a polygon/quad for me, I didnt realize what it was till you explained it, and I still have to remind myself of it before I see it as one

I'm afraid I have to completely agree with Ferg.

Just put ol' Smiley up there and let's call it done.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    yea, dots for the fail.

Greenie is the most recognizable part of PC.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Nice, but it looks like it's trying too hard to come out as a classic/retro logo

cant we just stay with basics? cut the blockyness and just wing in a simple font at a size not too 'in your face, look at me im a logo, lolololololol'

something like this maybe:

polycountfr6.jpg

no mac shine!! :D

edit:

bah im tired, so those greens might be a bit offset :D
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooo, I like that J!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Why the orange? It's so 2002.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    don't forget to add flames and naked chicks in the bg of the logo.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Why not just use this image (or just the font??)

pcnet.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I like fletcher's the best so far.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    *slaps his forehead*

Slum, read my post (all of it) with the mock-up images. Pay special attention to the very last sentence :P
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, I read that, and I was mostly responding to the latest suggestion by jfletcher.

I was reiterating what you alluded to. :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah I really like fletcher's as well, except the color of those greens (the smiley and text colors)
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Adam, I appologize in advance for the 14 page thread titled, "WTF?! I LIKED THE NEW LOGO!" that will arise from reverting to the old logo.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I *like* JF's logo, except for the orange... and the "video game" text should be a different color so that Polycount stands out better.. otherwise.. run with it!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I like the rings around greentooth in Fletchers - but I don't actually like that simple greentooth as much as some of the fantastic angry greentooth designs that popped up during the dominance wars.

Anyone got any pics of those greenteeth?

I still say: i like the new logo - I like the font and the semi plastic look.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I still say: i like the new logo - I like the font and the semi plastic look.

I'm with you on that. It just needs more Greentooth! :D
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    I dig fletchers design. I don't like putting count in orange though, honestly for some reason I find it really reads as polyc*nt. Wrong, maybe but thats just what I see from that particular idea.

I do like the simple greentooth with the classic design rings around it though, and a simple font with a slight outline.

The logo that was discussed in the past has a much less obnoxious --- in the O than the new one. It seems the new one the --- is more like 3 boxes within the O rather than just being a part of the O. I dunno, I don't know much about these things since I've only been around for a few months, and its probably not my place to comment. This is one of the best forums/resources I've had the pleasure of being a part of and a couple logo's and a redesign isn't going to change that for me. :)
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    I'm with you on that. It just needs more Greentooth! :D

QFT. The new one is nice, just needs Greentooth. The triangle in those sketches is quite nice also.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I'm really not a fan of JFletcher's design. While the logo on the left is fairly cool, the text is incredibly plain, boring and "web2.0 standard" - The orange doesn't work very well, and the font looks like bold Verdana or something. Fine for body text, but boring as hell for a header/logo.

We're not some generic blog, we're Polycount!

I would DEFINITELY stick with the old-style font, it's perfectly legible and way more recognizable than a generic font.

Consider it as a brand - the Polycount text has been unchanged for over 8 years, it is the brand association of this website. What people are doing here is re-branding, and it will only work if they come up with something MORE memorable than what we already have.

Currently I think the only person who has accomplished this is Peppi
    - he's combined the old font (the existing "brand") with the newer Greentooth logo, all put together in a very modern and refreshing fashion.

I don't think we should fall back on the old logo that Slum posted - it's a cool header but it's looking very '90s these days. Keeping the same font outline but using solid colour like Peppi did is definitely the way to go.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I would like too see a kick-ass mad looking greentooth smiley that was made heavy detailed in zbrush and rendered with some fancy SSS and GI in Max then that need to be put in the 900x900 header. The Poopcunt logotext is not needed just a greentooth that is jumping in you face! ;)
    Seriously, i just would like to see greentooth in the header.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does anyone knows what font the old logo used? i wanna make experiments
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    lets just go with peppis mockup mkay? it is by far the best attempt ive seen yet.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Change just for the sake of change is silly. Brome: everyone appreciates your efforts on behalf of the site, but really, we're not stomping on your creative freedom here. Are you really surprised that we're upset that you took something we all know and love and changed it?

The typface of the old logo is part of this site's identity. That's why peppi's logo works so well. It keeps that same flavor and just updates it a little bit. There's really no good reason to change from that font - it's not hideous. I think focusing on giving it a new treatment is great. . .

Anyway, at the end of the day it's just the logo and I'm not going to lose sleep over it. But, really, is it so hard to just leave a good thing alone?

I vote for Peppi's logo, slightly larger than he did it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    doc_rob wrote: »
    The typeface of the old logo is part of this site's identity. That's why peppi's logo works so well.
    ... But, really, is it so hard to just leave a good thing alone?

Quoting because Doc Rob said what I was trying to say, only he used less words and made more sense. :)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I mentioned in the report problems thread, i think it would be fun to have a bunch of logos done by different people and it loads one at random.. kind of has a creative feel to it and you get something a little different each time you visit
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    what i was trying to get across was that the logo doesn't need to be so imposing and take up almost every pixel available to it, a simpler size would be alot nicer :)
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    i'm also a big fan of the old logo and font, and the green wireframe design. it was smooth and identifying. not pixel art. even tho i like the new logo, i don't see any reason to change a good thing. echoing many of the previous comments.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry Adam, none of those mockups are as good as the original IMHO :)
    Nice that you tried a bunch of ideas though.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    doc_rob wrote: »
    Change just for the sake of change is silly. Brome: everyone appreciates your efforts on behalf of the site, but really, we're not stomping on your creative freedom here. Are you really surprised that we're upset that you took something we all know and love and changed it?

The typface of the old logo is part of this site's identity. That's why peppi's logo works so well. It keeps that same flavor and just updates it a little bit. There's really no good reason to change from that font - it's not hideous. I think focusing on giving it a new treatment is great. . .

Anyway, at the end of the day it's just the logo and I'm not going to lose sleep over it. But, really, is it so hard to just leave a good thing alone?

I vote for Peppi's logo, slightly larger than he did it.

I'm not surprised, and I've touched on why the changes were made in previous replies. Nor am I a lone wolf on the decision to update things. I quite like the personal involvement a number of us are taking in to this.

I agree, old logo with a fresh coat of paint would be nice. All that we (especially me!) ask is for your patience while we sort out other issues first.

Peppi - check your PM's.
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-to-ruin-a-web-design-the-design-curve
    first things first..

peppis suggestions is the best there is ... tho he did a slop cut out of the polycount font thingy.
    but all other suggestions.
    dudes come on youre obviously no graphic designers. youre gameartists doing 3d and texture and believe u can come up with a logo easily. u thought wrong... i dont want to sound offendive but it aint easy. people tend to believe it looks good what the "designed". and thats just it with "designers" in generall...

design_curve1.jpg
  • qubism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    OOOOK kids, everyone take a big, deep breath and exhale. All done? fantastic. Now then, I think I remember putting in the initial post of the new forums somewhere that stuff like "It sucks and I hate it" don't really provide any of us the least bit of help. Some of you are making mocks up and pointing out what you would like to see which is fantastic, and it's truly appreciated, but, when you do a mock-up and it's mocking the people trying to do the work, it really doesn't help a whole lot.

As r13 said in the 10-year thread, this site has become owned by the community more than any of us who started this place. We want to do what YOU want to see and that's no bullshit. Admittedly, it's hard for us (yes, even mild tempered me... ;D ) to read pages of "this sucks and you suck!" and still find the good.

Brome has been doing most of the work involved with all this and is trying really hard to give you what you guys want along with some of the stuff he wants to integrate into the site. I am asking you, as a personal favor to me, to try and cut the guy a *tiny* bit of slack. The boards aren't the only thing that are getting a complete overhaul. I *REALLY* want to tell you more, but I can't right now. Trust me (PLEEEEASE) when I say that there is more coming.

I am not busting anyone's balls, I promise. Just, if you could, try to back down a little bit. If you really have a beef, please email me, send me a PM, find me on IRC. I would be glad to talk to you about it. Hell, just post here and I will respond.

Thanks guys, honestly.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism wrote: »
    dudes come on youre obviously no graphic designers. youre gameartists doing 3d and texture and believe u can come up with a logo easily. u thought wrong.

You are correct. None of us should assume that we would easily succeed in the complex and dangerous world of logo design, even if that's where we started. Instead, we should stick with the more casual and comforting user friendly areas of level editing, character modeling, texturing and animation.

Nice graphs.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I was under the impression we'll get a comp after dom war? People will submit designs, the best will win, it'll be fine.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    c'mon. Brome worked at Kinkos for YEARS. He knows his way around paper and text, man.

I actually liked the polycount logo mock-up with the leading triangle. Not so much on the dual tone, though.

As with most of the others, would like to see something more familiar with the original logo. Mr smily is ok, but I don't think I'd like seeing it, or a tristrip in the logo. It's worse with the tri going [/] as opposed to [\]. Makes it look less like a zero.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it was 3 random dots. Didn't realize it's suppose to resemble a tristrip until recently.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah. Me too. Didn't see it straight off till someone had mentioned it.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    all u need is luv
    polycount_01.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    ooooh, spiffy!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    I say use Tully's awesome banner.

tully.gif

tully2.gif
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Whatever the case, I think the text should be kept the same and the smiley should be incorporated.. I think it's better than any alternative so far suggested. The smiley kicks ass and the text is legible and distinctive (read: perfect). Why mess with a winning formula?

+1 for peppi's idea -- only maybe a bit bigger.

Cody : you're nice :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    holy shit! IDEA!

Tully, great banner. It gave me an idea..

We could have people here submit some of their best renders to be used in the background behind the oldschool logo. Sort of like yours there. And, we could set it up to randomly show a different image!

And of course credit would be given inside the banner as to who's it was.

Eh? Eh?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, that's a cool idea Adam.