Home General Discussion

Ten Years of Counting Polys

r13
founder
Offline / Send Message
r13 founder
Once again we have come back around to the First of April, the anniversary of the site. This time we find ourselves at quite the milestone; ten years. Ten years of the green and black. I can't begin to form a description of how amazed I am by this. I know every year I tend to get a bit more sentimental, but ten years... stunning. I don't attribute this longevity to myself. Long ago, the community took over the space station.

While the inmates were running up and down the halls, we're been working on some things off to the side. One of these as you can see is a brand new set of boards. This is all new tech. No more UBB. This is built on a new foundation so that we can build more functionality into the boards to allow us to do more things as we spend our time here. As some have noted, a new color scheme and design as well. The traditional colors of the boards had grown obnoxious over the years. So many of you were so nice to not say anything to me about it. Please realize that the boards are not done by any means. Things are a little broken here and there. We know, you've told us. We didn't go through all this just to stop now. Have faith.

One suggestion I saw that I was fond of was the idea of a logo contest. I've not going to look into the logistics of it right now. We've got to get the site all plugged in and working as intended. But in the meantime, I think it's safe to say you might ponder some sketches.

The best thing that I thought of today... I was telling a friend today, the site has changed the life of just about every person I know. That's just awesome. Cheers to all.

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, 10 years eh? Well that's impressive. I haven't been here for the whole time, but for the 6 years I have been around it's been great.

Thanks for the amazing job to those of you that have worked so hard to keep the boards up and running all this time. The new forums are certainly a good 10th birthday thing for the boards. :D

It's a great community, that's forsure.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I'd personally like to keep the basic greentooth as our hapless logo... maybe replace that "... O" in the title with our smiley-on-crack.

I'd really like to keep him around as I have a rather amusing plan for him when my piece of musclecar history is complete. :cool:

And as I've said before, thanks Rogue and everyone else involved with this forum. I wouldn't have gotten the job I have today if it weren't for PC.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    10 years... That's a lot of polys to be counted.

It's very cool that you are still around and kicking after all this time, r13. Keep up the awesome work, I am sure there are hundreds of people out there who have you and the guys to thank for making this whole thing possible, and indirectly landing them a job (myself included!) :)
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    this site is supercool :)
    changed a lot over the time but it´s still a nice place
    maybe even nicer and more professional as ever before

and for nonprofessionals like me, its just an awesome info place :)
  • firestarter
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks, sincerely, for keeping it running all this time. I do more staring at the thing than is healthy. For no known reason either.
  • NeoShroomish
    10 years, wow, grats. I haven't been on the interwebs for 10 years let alone 10 years on a single forum.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    My join date says 2004 but I've been a follower since q2pmp, and so a HUGE thanks to you r13, bearkub, vito and everyone involved in keeping things running behind the scenes while we bicker about the paint job hehehe

I'd say one of the biggest influential factors in my ambitions of improving as an artist has to be polycount and its members
  • Slainean
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    I remember browsing Polycount during the q2pmp days as well. I made a couple of crude copy/paste q2 skins and was in complete awe of Kenneth Scott's protofiend.

Happy Anniversary, PC. There's a lot of history here.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    congrats . For me to around 2004/5 my work suddenly improved from doing polycount challenges with the likes of Bobo, Mr rockstar , Poopinmymouth, Peppi - to name but a few.

I was making unreal1 mods back in 1998( I think) and not sure if i was visiting polycount - its a long time ago

Before That I was naiive enough to think my work was of a reasonable quality:)

Shortly after I got my first job which was great. Best of luck for the future.
  • bearkub
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    If you guys make me cry, I am kicking asses. Just sayin'....

;D
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Congratulations! Polycount has changed my life for sure. The style and quality of C&C made on models here are very motivating. Though I still need lots and lots of those critiques to get a job :)
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Polycount rocks! Im getting a better education about all things 3D here than my university could ever offer me, just reading threads and helping others and getting feedback consistently is so useful. plus at times this place is just plain hilarious. You guys are legends!
  • Makk
    Offline / Send Message
    Makk polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats to polycount :)
    10years and still awesome.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    All I can really say is thank you. Polycount has definitely made a mark in my life. I wouldn't have known a lot of people that I now call friends and some that are even currently or have been co-workers in the industry. It's definitely appreciated.

This community is something special in that no matter how many people come or go, a lot of us have stuck around for a long, if not the whole time. People may bitch at each other, be absolute tools at times, but in the end it's a pool of some of the most talented game artists out there and they actually contribute to a lot of the knowledge that is practiced by so many others out there learning or working in the game industry. There's something to be said about that.

Here's looking to another 10 years of black and green. Once again a thank you goes out to those that kept the thing going behind the scene that allow the community to live and a special thank you to Rogue for being the one to come up with and begin what is Polycount.

Oh yeah and Kub...start crying hippy. :)
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    10 years is a good solid run... congrats guys. I've only been hanging around here for almost 4 years now and it seems like the site just keeps growing with new talent. Here's to another 10 :)
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Happy birthday PC...heres to 10 more
    Cheers to the guys in the background keeping this place going
  • sinistergfx
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    R, I'll buy you beers some time. Then we can hug and cry.
  • EarthQuake
    What ever happened to counters? This site needs more counters! Per: mock up ur best counter design ASAP.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats on ten years! Can't wait to see where we are in another ten.

- BoBo
  • sinistergfx
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Bobo, let's get some people together and cheers R some time!
  • neolith
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, ten years. Has it really been that long?

Polycount has always been a great source of inspiration and information - I hope it will continue to be like that.

Thanks for everything. :)
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Its a shame I didn't get amongst Polycount a lot earlier then I did. Its been a huge help for me and such a learning experience and it has gotten me where I am today.
    Huge thanks to the founders, admins, mods and members for making Polycount what it is. Polycount can has teh caek tyme plz.

-caseyjones
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    wow 10, while I know the place quite long, I began more actively reading when starting studying after the q2/q3 mod work (yeah that makes sense right hehe).

thanks a lot for the long time support on this one, I am not sure how stuff would be without PC, we probably would have made millions more by work, instead of time looking at cats spent here, some of us might have chosen careers outside of games and cured diseases or becoming astronauts. so thanks polycount for giving us all a nice daily routine hehe
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I gotta say this site has helped push me more than anything else since I started school a few years ago. I have had my ass torn a few times for some shit but I have never held a grudge just like many of you.

We are a great forum of great artists and I have been lucky enough to meet some of you and hang out, have some beers and just chill.

I ended up here at Midway just because my current boss was browsing polycount and liked my work. So I owe a lot to you guys.

I look forward to 10 more years with this great community.

Thanks guys.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    10 years...yeesh. I've been coming here for ~8. Incredible to see how the site and it's users have grown. Amazing stuff. Congrats r13/Vito and all of you crazy polycounters!...except for brome. ;)
  • kat
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    10 years is old in gaming years! Older than cats and dogs (and smarter too). I've lurked here more than anything, come here especially when I'm creatively 'down' and never fail to leave with the old spark reignited.
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I can honestly say finding polycount was the catalyst for me gettng into game art. Anybody that ever asks me how to get in the industry or how I got in the industry, it's impossible to not bring up polycounnt. I have made some very good friends because of these boards an I hate to sound sappy or over sentimental, but finding polycount changed my life. So happy birthday and a huge Thank you, to Polycount. My favorite forum, full of crusty Jaded art vetrans, and over enthusiastic n00bs constantly seeking crits. Looking forward to another 10 years of flaming and great art! :)
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Polycount is THE SHIT.

10 more years plz kthx

We really need some special edition 10yr shirts.
  • Michael Knubben
    If it wasn't for polycount, I would've never gotten beyond making an 'alien' in one shade of painfull green in paint. I'm sure I wouldn't ever have seriously considered this for a career without Polycount either.
  • dur23
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    I would never have known that just about anyone could edit a video game let alone become an artist in the video game world without polycount being around to guide me in 1999.

Thanks to all who have made this community the best on the net.
  • killingpeople
  • b1ll
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    shit, 10 fucking years. God. . Lol Goodtimes
  • vik
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Toast! Ahh, what a year 1998 was! Grim Fandango, Thief, Starcraft (yeah baby!), Unreal and, of course, Half-life. all these great games came out 10 years ago. I know I spent the next 5 playing them... these games are gone now... just a hollow echo in the wind... but polycount is still going strong,,,and that`s good...
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    hot damn, ten years.

been around for half of them.

i blame polycount for getting me in the industry, and for taking up most of my time once i was in. here's to ten more.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I've only been around a couple of years, but polycount has already done a lot for me. It's thanks to you guys that i'm seriously pursuing and studying art and general, and that i ever did more in max than modeling lowpoly m16s and doing skylight renders. Here's to ten more years of polycount, if not twenty. :)
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    should of worn my PC shirt today in celebration. Huge thanks to everyone on here that I either met in person or online and everyone in #model_design. This is an awesome community that I am really happy to be apart of.

-Lee
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I think I've been coming here for about 5 or so years off and on. PC definitely helped me start a career as well as get to know so great peoples.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    6 years for me. And you guys have enjoyed every minute of it.

My original polycount tshirt is old faded ripped and probably covered in all manner of unknown stains, otherwise I would be wearing it. But the forums keep getting better and better.

Happy 10th!
  • hjd_uk
    I'm a filthy lurker, but for years Polycount has been my "go-to" site for inspiration and viewing the best 3d modelling currently out there. It really is, in my opinion, an institution.

Congrats on the big 10. Long my it continue.
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    We need 10th anniversary shirts for us to purchases, yes?
  • Luxury
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    I was always a lurker, but when I did post my horrible horrible stuff back in '00, I got raped with the crits and stayed in bed crying for weeks. So I of course did what anybody would do...I pussied out and didn't post any other artwork on here for years. It's still working for me to this day! Go Polycount!
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The last paragraph Drew was fantastic.

10 years is a fantastic accomplishment, especially for an art forum! Polycount is quite literally my home on the internet and I don't know what I'd do without it. I've been to other forums, but they quickly bore me.

You can include me on the list of people who had their life changed by this website. I'd never be doing what I do now if it weren't for it. If you're not already feeling it, feel proud Drew.

Here here!
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    If I wasn't the greedy bastard that I am I would give pc part of my paycheck for helping me be the artist I am. I learned more shit reading other post, watching all the wips over time and getting crits than all the crap I ever learned in school.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Xenobond wrote: »
    We need 10th anniversary shirts for us to purchases, yes?

I would buy
  • SkullboX
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    Congratulations rogue and the rest of the crew!

Thanks again for this amazing site and community, I wouldn't have even started out dong characters that would eventually lead me to animation if it wasn't for this site. It still kicks ass and looking at the dominance war contest, it probably kicks more ass than ever.

Great job on the new boards as well, here's to another 10 years!
  • jam
    Offline / Send Message
    jam polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats on the 10 Years! New layout rocks.

jam
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not as post-whorey or old as the gross of the members here, nor have I ever posted cat images, but Polycount has made the very short list of websites that I visit every day... and it's in fact probably the site I spend most time browsing.

Congrats to Polycount and its members!

...Senior Member sounds a whole lot more important than Triangle :)
  • spacemonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I havent been around so much lately.. still not settled as I should be moving into my flat this weekend... but yeah polycount is da bomb. After all.. I learned enough on this forum to get myself a living ;)
  • Xenobond
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    ComradeJ wrote: »
    nor have I ever posted cat images

No better time to start, than now.
    1162774225055.jpg
    Let yourself be free.