Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Vig

After doing next to nothing creative at work for the last 3 months, I've been having a blast getting back into mapping.
ctf_decker210000.jpg
ctf_decker210001.jpg
Image_03
Image_04
Image_05
Image_06
Lift
Aircraft Tug
Main ref and inspiration
Nothing like a little more ref to get things rolling...

Basically its my take on 2fort. Instead of 2 forts built inches from each other the bases will be an aircraft carrier (Blue) and a dock/warehouse (Red). The bases will be symmetrical and the trick is that only a few key detail props and textures will change. If this comes off as too much of a gimmick or I can't get the dock to look the way I wanted I'll cheese out and just make them two carriers and just hick up the Red base. I'm going to try my hardest to get the first option working but if I can't get it balanced then I'll have to go with plan B.

Harsh crits always welcome.

Replies

• Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Vig, awesome idea. I hope asking questions is kosher in these sketchbook threads I hope to learn from everyone as well as share my own stuff.

What are the grid marks and green boxes for in your main ref/inspiration picture?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Each box is 128px X 128px. 128 is the height of a standard story, 72 is the height of a person. You can treat 1px as one unit in Hammer, Max and PhotoShop. To get better pixel resolution in game, all textures are scaled down to .25 by default, so you get 4px for every unit.

I think the same holds true for Maya and UnrealEd but I haven't confirmed it.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Thats a very interesting idea, and fits TF2 well. The link on image3 has a problem -- there is extra stuff trailing that needs to be nipped off of the URL.

Not important but; in the first inline image, the barrel of the gun on the left isn't reading as round. The other guns look great so I imagine it'd only be an issue if that 'head on' angle is going to be a high traffic route.

A visual queue to establish the distance between the edge of the top deck and the main tower would be handy (it seems a lot flatter in image 1 than 2). The runway would be on the other side of the tower and this a storage/work yard?

Thanks for explaining the grid.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    looks great Vig!. so there are multiple paths, but the main route with in the middle on the lower deck?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    FYI: Unreal has person height at 96 units, effectively each Unreal Unit = 2 CM for unreal tournament series.

looks like a fun map. laugh.gif
    edit: math error
  • rybeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow.. beautiful works, Vig.
    Also thanks for sharing awesome ref images.

For the UE unit, AFAIK, 96 (UE)units = regular human height (6 ft). So it came down to 16 (UE) unit = 1 ft.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Looks great so far. can't wait to play it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kary, great points! You will see the turrets from straight on in some cases so I should round them out, at least on the highest level of detail. The bridge island is a sniper hang out and I was having trouble getting good line of sight from up there so I pushed out the upper level, I think I'll re work the bridge so it all sits more flush. I still have to do the bridge window props so its good to get that cleared up now, thanks =)

Technically this is the run way. The front turrets would rotate forward as the planes take off, I rotated them sideways to help block off the front of the ship. There will be a second runway that angles off to the left in shot #2.

Lee3dee
    There are 4 ways to cross the gap between the bases.
    - 1st bridge being the top of the lower right turret in shot #1. That turret has been moved more center and lowered and works pretty well as a bridge. I might even add a gang-way ramp type prop kind of half ass strapped to the top of it looks more like a make shift boarding deck and a turret rolled into one.
    - 2nd bridge is between the dock and the ship where the angled runway and the dock meet.
    - 3rd bridge is in shot 5. If you fall in the water you must use the 4th route, you can't climb up on 3. This has 3 path ways that lead into the ship.
    - 4th is a hatch at water level which leads into 3 path ways into the ship. The Red base this same hatch will be a sewer pipe.

Inside the bases there are 3 paths and a few rooms and ramps that connect them. Its kind of complicated to explain but really easy to navigate. It's all kind of compact too because I really don't like running down long hallways and I like having options when you're going in and coming out.

Vailias, rybeck, thanks for the info I'll have to write that down... done.

A big thanks to CheeseOnToast for helping me figure out the texture shaders. I have the paint shaders working more or less like I need them too I'm leaning toward masked reflections but the phong test came out nicely and it ran a tiny bit smoother.

I worked on the sub filling in the details. Because the sub is used to get from the top level of the intel room down to the lower decks, and it provides a Line of Sight blocker (too easy for one eng to rule all three levels) the collision mesh needs to be spot on but not costly.
    DiveSub00.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    sweet stuff vig, i have a weeks vacation and looking to get a map made.. using existing pieces mostly,, may have to make a nif or 2 here or there

if you need a server to test it out on i'm renting a 64 player server now that i just got up and running.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I love the sub! Really looking forward to this.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to prove I'm not dead and still working on the map I have this >
    TF2_TugBoat.jpg
    This Tug goes between the Air Craft Carrier and the dock, blocking the players off from the open water/sky box. I didn't bother to put in rudders or propellers because you'll never see them. I used the advanced painter script to paint the rope splines on the life ring, man I love that script.

TF2_BridgeTop00.jpgTF2_BridgeTop01.jpg
    This prop goes on top of the bridge.

I also created a bunch of hoses, wires, hooks, railings, that all go in various places. I also finished the sub and started creating the materials for the Corsair. I'm not going to bother taking renders of them all when they are so minor. Since the blue base is totally blocked out I copied it over to the red side and it looks like I can transform it into a dock without effecting the CTF mechanics, woot!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Vig that tug is great! You've outdone yourself, can't wait to see it with some colors. Good to hear you're not dead, too.

Let me know if you need any testers, I suck at tf2 but I'm great at breaking things :)
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    not dead = good :)

Keep at it man this is looking killer. I am up for testing as well.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Vig, could I trouble you for a wire of that Tugboat? And whats this advanced painter script?

This map looks so cool. Can't wait to play it! If the mechanics are as good as it looks I predict this will be a widely popular map.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys =)
    I need to finish blocking out the red base and putting in place holders for future props then I we can play test the hell out of it.

Advanced Painter : http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/advanced-painter
    It lets you paint splines (and objects) on any selection of geometry. I've edited the script so the spaghetti tool doesn't place knots/verts so close. But my edits make some of the other tools buggy which I haven't figured out how to fix, so you're better off using the default one until I figure it out.

TF2_TugBoat00.jpg
    I started to optimize it a bit and once I bake the Life Ring down to the low poly it will drop by 1k-ish I went nuts with the rope =P
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    This is AWESOME! Dude.. I love the style of this last one... just.. spot on dude!
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    great to see your staying consistent with the TF2 style :)
    good job so far

greetz
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey vig i love what you are doing here.. and i have yet to succeed in gettin a model in.

my only crits would be the tugboat seems over stylized. tf2 is cartoonish, but does not really use the skewed (whimsical) geo that it seems like you are using on the boat.

other than that its all fantastic.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Vig- you using Max for these assets? I thought it was ridiculously convoluted trying to get stuff out of there and into hl2. :S
    Maybe better tools have since come out?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojokey, I agree. I had the same reaction last night when I dropped it in, "humm too much". The ref I chose for the pilot house probably was fine before I FFD'ed it or was just a bad choice. I bounced between the 1920's rounded pilot house and the more modern angled version. http://www.vigville.com/wip/ctf_decker/ref/TugBoat/500pxTugboat_diagramen_edit1asvg.png
    http://www.vigville.com/wip/ctf_decker/ref/TugBoat/1225002_Huntington_Tugboat_web.jpg
    I might mock up a quick rounded version to see how it looks before I start unwrapping.

What kind of errors are you getting? The only thing I can think of its a collision mesh problem, which you could drop the "$collisionmesh" from the QC, or its a material issue.

You need some kind of material assigned to the defuse slot for it to spit out a valid SMD. When you get serious about the material showing up in game, it needs to match the name of the VMT file. The extension doesn't matter, I like to use psd's so when I archive the model it saves my psd to. So if my VMT file is TF2_TugBoat.vmt then my psd in the diffuse slot needs to be called TF2_TugBoat.psd

K-Man, yup using 3dsMax 2k8. The exporter wunderboy wrote works pretty well.
    http://www.wunderboy.org/sourceapps.php#max9_smd
    But there are some funky rules you have to follow for collision meshes.
    - It uses smoothing groups to tell the difference between each collision pieces, took me a few hours to figure that one out.
    - The collision meshes need to be closed and it likes to patch over concave surfaces, so you end up having to break up the collision mesh into easy to digest blocks. BUT you're limited to 22 separate collision shapes per model. You can either set a flag that gives you an unlimited number of boxes, or start breaking the object into separate models.
    - The UV's need to be continuous pieces, otherwise it will give an error about "2D geometry being less then .05" or some silly error. I just apply a Planar UV map to the whole thing collision mesh and it spits out a valid SMD.

Feel free to post here, PM me or hit me up on MSN, with any errors or troubles you're having. I totally feel your pain, it took me a solid week of head on keyboard action to get it all working. whatever error/problem you hit I've more then likely hit it already, no need for your forehead to be all QWERTY.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    haha, that's totally badass, Vig. I always try to do levels, but I can never see them through to completion. Just not a level 'designer' I guess. :)
    Really nice work so far.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Man I love this! Looooove this! The tires around the boat fall harshly in the middle (the donut hole). I was thinking it might be cool to see it rounded off like the rest of the tire is.

Is the boat in playable space or just external decoration?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice work vig! im sure this will turn out to be a really cool map.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just checked out your refs and while the ref has the angled cab as its actual shape, on your model it seems more of a style distortion and not just how the tug is made, thats what confused me most. besides that i think i prefer the round cab in the photo more.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TF2_TugBoat06.jpg
    I a little tossed up, but leaning toward the rounded version They are both unwrapped and fairly close in poly count so its a matter of style. If I go with the rounded, I'll round out the decking under it and I might decrease the number of windows. I might make one Red and one Blue and park them on both sides of the map, instead of doing an elaborate hose refueling station I had planned for the opposite end...
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i prefer the round, vig anytime i drag something on that studiomdl thing it seems to not be able to find the file.. i think it may not like the space in program files or something.. do you have your dir under program files?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have my smd and QC files in;
    D:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\MyUserName\Team Fortress2\TF2\ModelsSrc\

It saves the mdl files to;
    D:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\MyUserName\Team Fortress2\TF2\Models\CTF_Decker\

The line in my .qc file reads "$modelname CTF_decker/TF2_TugBoat.mdl"
    If I delete the CTF_Decker part from that line "$modelname TF2_TugBoat.mdl" Then it puts it in the models folder. If I don't have a CTF_decker folder it won't compile. If you're using the example qc file I wrote up, and your SMD's aren't in a Mojokey folder it won't compile.

Are you dropping the files on a shortcut to studiomdl or the exe itself? I think the drag/drop method only works on shortcuts.

Are you using the version of studiomdl found in the OrangeBoxSDK? I think there is another version someplace else.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tfboo.jpg

heres my qc
    $modelname /thunt/box/box_ref.mdl
    $body "Body" "box_ref.smd"
    $staticprop
    $surfaceprop "metal"
    $sequence "idle" "box_ref.smd"
    $collisionmodel "box_ref.smd"
    {
    $concave
    }

heres the directorys
    C:\Steam\steamapps\rhinokio\team fortress 2\tf\modelsrc\thunt\box\box_ref.qc
    C:\Steam\steamapps\rhinokio\team fortress 2\tf\modelsrc\thunt\box\box_ref.smd
    C:\Steam\steamapps\rhinokio\team fortress 2\tf\materials\thunt\box\box_ref.vmt
    C:\Steam\steamapps\rhinokio\team fortress 2\tf\materials\thunt\box\box_ref.vtf
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Rhinokey and I have been banging our heads off of the source sdk for a little while now, as of tonight I've been able to get as far as exporting the model but it doesn't show the texture.

Oh yeah, I created this batch file to make compiling easier:

"%sourcesdk%\bin\ep1\bin\studiomdl.exe" %1
    pause

I'm finding sourcesdk to be good advertisement for the Unreal 3 engine!
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    that tugboat kicks ass! Nice work Vig!

- BoBo
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    This really nice, that tug boat is really cool. Both of them. :)

Alex
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys

T & J, it's dropping the g_path for some reason. that shouldn't read "box_ref" it should be the full path to your QC file. It looks like you might be using the ep1 version of studiomdl? Try the orange box versions found in:
    "D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\rhinokio\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin"

Since your materials are in a subfolder you'll need to add the $cdmaterials line to your .qc file after the $body line.
    Your .qc file should look like this:

$modelname thunt/box/box_ref.mdl --removed the first slash, doesn't really matter
    $body "Body" "box_ref.smd"
    $cdmaterials thunt/box/ --added this line, points to the materials subfolder
    $staticprop
    $surfaceprop "metal"
    $sequence "idle" "box_ref.smd"
    $collisionmodel "box_ref.smd"
    {
    $concave
    }

Also when you export your smd make sure you only have a diffuse texture assigned it (no bump or spec maps). It also needs to have the same name as your vmt file in this case box_ref.bmp would work fine.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try that as soon as i get in the office.

as far as material in max i have the .vtf plug and have the vtf on the model.

thanks for alll the assistance

i disagree with justin about it being an advertisment for unreal.. cause once i do get something in i'd rather it be in a game i'm interested in playing :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It shouldn't matter but you might want to also try a standard image format like bmp, png or tga. Technically it shouldn't bother to read the extension and should only be grabbing the file name but I've been using tga's and png's and haven't tried the VTF plug-in yet. I couldn't get it to work in 3dsMax 2008 =/
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vig i got it to compile. but i can't see anything when i view it, if i turn on wireframe in the viewer i can see the wireframe of the object. but other than that its completely transparent this is my vmt. does it look proper?

"LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "thunt/box/box_ref"
    "$translucent" 1
    }
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH i had the wrong light setup in my vmt!!!

feast your hungry viewing orbs on this!
    tf.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol. whats that?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOO HOO! but now we have to make it visible =/

The top line "LightmappedGeneric" is the shader type. Lightmapped is more for materials used on hammer created objects like walls, floors ect.

For props and models you want to use "VertexLitGeneric" if you get into doing characters we'll need to talk about $phong, but thats another chapter in another story all together.

Heres a break down of all the shader types source uses.
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Shader_Types_and_Parameters

Using "$translucent" 1 means it pulls opacity mask info from the alpha. I think the alpha is white and thats why its not showing up? If you don't need an opacity mask you can drop the "$translucent" 1 line from the VMT and just have it read:

"VertexlitGeneric"
    {
    "$basetexture" "thunt/box/box_ref"
    }

To check the alpha channel of a VTF, in VTFEdit go to View > Channel > Alpha or hit ctrl+shift+a (ctrl+shift+c to view all channels again).

EDIT: WOO-HOO NICE GOING!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitmap wrote: »
    lol. whats that?
    That? That is a big block of success wrapped in awesome...
    What does it do? Absolutely nothing.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lolol. gothcha ya ;)
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vig youkow if theres a way to make something have collision, but allow you to shoot thru it?

like a chain link fence?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yup $contents "grate" was specifically created for just such a reason =)
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/%24contents
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one more question since you seem to be the man to know.. if i make a map with this model can anyone who dloads the map just strip the models and use them in their maps?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can use bspzip, or pakrat (GUI version there are several others) to include/extract external files (VMT, VTF, MDL sounds ect) in with the map, which I suggest doing when you release your map, it makes easier for everyone to download and place one file instead of several, to different folders.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Using_Bspzip_to_Embed_Custom_Content

But doing that doesn't make them bullet proof just idiot proof. Anyone can unzip/unpack the bsp and get your models out, its just not as easy. but I'm sure it will thwart a few assmonkies.
  • Rhinokey
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    I used the advanced painter script to paint the rope splines on the life ring, man I love that script.

does this script allow you to draw splines using a wacom tablet? Eitherway, I'd like to know where I can get hold of this script? You make it look very useful :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/advanced-painter

It's a great script and you can control the brush with anything that works like a mouse. Sadly there is no support for pressure sensitivity. It would be great if pen pressure controlled the size of the cross sections when using the toothpaste brush. But being able to paint wire bundles in seconds kicks ass.

You might not like the way it creates some of the splines, and in those cases convert it to edit poly select an edge that runs the length of the spline and hit "convert to shape" this will give you a new spline that behaves.

I also use it to paint/scatter objects, rocks, bricks, leaves, grass planes, bushes, trees, garbage, bla bla bla.
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah hah this is so cool! Def gonna give my environments a boost in detail. I see normal mapping potentials right off the start too. thank you vigs now I see why so many people like you here :)

One thing tho, maybe you've run into it. somewhere between me running the script and adding 27k polys in the scene I can no longer render the scene properly, im thinking its just a glitch because it works fine again after I re-opened Max, but if its somethign I did that I shouldnt have I was curious if you might know what would cause that problem?
    thanks again vig
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't hit that particular render problem, but I have had issues if I try and exit out of paint mode by any other way besides un-clicking the paint button. In 3dsMax8 it would cause a memory leak and eventually crash max in a few min, so I learned to always exit painting by clicking the paint button.

Also undo was twitchy and sometimes would crash 3dsMax if I undid a paint. So instead I would exit paint, delete the object(s) and repaint. The script seemed to get more stable under 3dsMax 2k8 but I ended up changing the spline painting part of the script around to suit my needs and it made some of the other brushes in the tool buggy.

I think, (haven't actually checked it out) Maya's Paint effects do the same thing, and much much more. I'll be really disappointed if this kind of thing doesn't exist in Maya. Which I'm thinking about learning later this year...