Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Vig

Replies

• GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think maya does have painter a painter effects similar to this script, I was showing one of my teachers the script and he mentioned something about it being just like maya, and I'll keep note of those problems you were having
  • GsKanible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey vigs I was using the script and I had a mild brainstorm for your TF2 level. had you considerd using the pebbles ink to make barnicle clusters on your aircraft carrier / tugboat/ dock? I know most of it would be underwater but would be a neat bit of detail to add some along the waterline or so. Its just that for a tugboat it looks a bit clean. I know textures would rough it up too but since its already somewhat high poly, wouldnt hurt would it? anyhow just a thought

the sub pen looks like it could use some barnicle lovin too
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a good idea GsK =)

CTF_DeckerF4u00.jpgCTF_DeckerF4u01.jpgCTF_DeckerF4u02.jpg
    CTF_DeckerF4u03.jpgCTF_DeckerF4u04.jpg
    No spec, no bump, 100% self illum screen grab from 3dsMax. Still have a fair amount of texture work left to do on this one, but its getting there.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Hello, cute plane alert. :poly110: I really like the shape of this plane, I think I'm going to have to go and make something. This should look real nice once you finish it.

Alex
  • Small_Sumo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small_Sumo polycounter lvl 18
    Your map will pwn I have to keep an eye on this.

:)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ctf_decker220009.jpg
    I had a pretty productive day. I took a break from texturing the plane, and started texturing the tug. Still not sure which version I'm going to use, I started to texture the cube cab, and I'll do the round one next. The rest of the tug is about 60% done. I also made a pretty accurate collision mesh and I plan to have the front half playable.

ctf_decker220008.jpg
    I took Adams advice and re-worked the tires. It made sense because you really do get close to them.

ctf_decker220007.jpg
    I also cranked out some new hull pieces but only roughed in some colors. And finished off the hatch leading out of the water on the blue side.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was working on the crews bunks and I decided to do a personalized bunk for each class.
    BunkDBear.jpg
    Heavy's Teddy...
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Hah, spot on for the teddy. The shadowing is a little distracting at the moment (black for the bottom of the char left ear, intense darks at the bottom of the face) but I imagine that is just an effect of the grab.

The plane is very cool, retro futurism coming through clear. The tug is very clever, a bit saturated for me, but hard to comment on mid creation of the texture. Am I right in seeing some odd shadowing on the tires? Looks like there are double strap shadows on single strap tires -- or at least it is darker at the top then the sides which seemed off.

Turning out well, look forward to updates :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ctf_decker240005_Thumb.jpg
    Bunks are in and copied around, personalization begins along with a final texture pass. This is spawn room A for the Blue team.
    Alternate View

ctf_decker240006_Thumb.jpg
    Lowest level of the ship, I might slope the floor to indicate the hull and put in a cat walk in.

ctf_decker240042_Thumb.jpg
    Bridge windows are functional but waiting to be textured.

ctf_decker240043_Thumb.jpg
    Exit #1 from Blue spawn room A.

ctf_decker240044_Thumb.jpg
    Upper level of intel room, might be too bright...

DeckerPropsMany_00_Thumb.jpg
    A few of the props I've been working on.

I have next week off so we'll see how much I can get done.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    looking cool dude :) very close to the TF2 style, that plane is pure win :)
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    vig i'm curious,, did you playtest this much in rough stage before going into the prop work?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I was blocking it out, I ran it on a server at work and on a public server I play on (open to invite only one night, didn't want it getting around when it was so rough). Based on that feedback I modified the core base structure a bit.

My wife also helps me do tests, mostly eng turret placement stuff and other repetitive tasks play testers don't like doing over and over again. Heh, thats right baby the wedding band cuts both ways! HA! jk...

The Red base is a carbon copy with a few changed props, mostly in the skybox and the hull is replaced with a dock (that use the same collision meshes) so I haven't done much on that side, since its more prop detailing.

It has pretty good flow and the few props that can impact the game play are still very malleable. The rest are very generic and will accommodate any future changes without modification. But I don't see having to make any major adjustments to the flow, its pretty solid at this point. But it would be good to run it through the paces again.

After next week I'll probably have the Blue base detailed and the Red side copied and it will be ready for another round of play testing. I should do a rough level layout sketch so people can start to get a feeling for the flow.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work Vig, keep this sketchbook up!

Spark
  • illybang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you sir are awesomeness. looks great so far!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ctf_decker310011_Thumbnail.jpg
    Started detailing the dock, and the lower bridge. I was using a hanging cargo container as the lower access point. I wanted at least one way that the snipers couldn't watch but was not on the beaten path. But it blocked off the tug so I opened it up with a dock and a hanging platform. Turns out you can get across there just fine without being spotted.

ctf_decker310000_Thumbnail.jpg
    Below the ship/dock. The dock side still needs rocks and more support beams but the ground is in and makes getting in and out of the water very easy (with the help of clip brushes).

ctf_decker310007_Thumbnail.jpg
    Blocked out the decals for the flight deck.
    Also did a new asphalt material.
    And modeled /unwrapped a crane prop that will support the lower bridge. Not too sure about the lower supports on the crane, might have gone a little nuts with the FFD. I tend to do that...

ctf_decker310002_Thumbnail.jpg
    Flight deck, those decals need a little lovin, they're solid color right now.

ctf_decker310001_Thumbnail.jpg
    Welcome-Cam 01, of the main battle courtyard.

The second round of public play testing went really well people playing all classes seam to really like it. A few people made some really good suggestions and I've put them in. I've been working on a lot of prop clean up, materials and fixing clipping issues. As well as the few things you see above.

The blue base is about 65-70% complete and then its onto the red base.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Good god. Amazing work, vig. And a wife that helps you test your TF2 levels? You lucky mother...
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    This stuff is looking incredible! Keep it up, I'll be watching :)
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    that is looking badass, cant wait to see how it plays!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a promise to myself that I would finish this map and so I've been working on it about 2hrs a day when I can, sometimes going weeks without working on it. We wrapped up crunch at work so I'll be able to hit the 2hr commitment a little more often.

So far I've made 50 props and created 77 texture maps. The blue base is 98% done, and the red base is functional but not detailed.
    ctf_decker380010_thmb.jpg
    The locker room below the sub/intel room. There's a stair case leading up to the intel in the center left of this shot. There are also two others on the right side not pictured. I think I've managed to end the engineers single handed strangle hold on the intel room, without making engies useless. Hard class to ballance a map for, that one is...

ctf_decker380009_thmb.jpg
    This is the ships cafeteria. The second spawn room is through that door. Soon to feature its own Soup Salvid and Sanvich Bar.
    The condiments and napkin dispenser where my first physics props. At first Col. Mustard did not like being shot, but he's come around.
    Lighting looks like it needs to be turned up a bit?

ctf_decker380007_thmb.jpg
    Mid level bridge looking into the blue base, the tug is to the left of this shot.

ctf_decker380004_thmb.jpg
    Upper-most level of the intel room.
    The upper left door leads to T hallway with a branch leading to the blue spawn.
    The lower left door leads to the hanger/lift and centeral stair case.
    The door on the upper right (barely visible) leads to another T, going to the battlements/central stair, and the middle bridge.

ctf_decker360003_thmb.jpg
    Doodling over the top of the red base. Not sure what I'll keep and what I'll cut.

ctf_decker360000_thmb.jpg
    I replaced the turret/board bridge with a AA turret and a cargo container. I had to decompile the cargo container. Then model and texture the inside. I took a page from the 2Fort play book, the center bridge needs cover, snipers where having too much fun =P

ctf_decker360002_thmb.jpg
    The smallest AA turret alternate view/placement.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    that looks so good vig, you've really nailed the style
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    incredible progress since last time I checked.

I really admire how many asset you pulled off in so little time.And they are all looking great, especially the vehicules.
    I dunno if you are done with the ship turrets and plane, but I would definately add some strong glossy spec to them, a bit like on the shotgun on your before-last screenshot.

Keep it up!
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    Vig when this is finished I am gonna buy TF2 just to play your map.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    WHOA WHOA- watch it Vig. you might put the original level art in TF2 to shame. No one likes a showoff.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waa waaa weee waaaa
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Man, this is really great. Very inspiring.
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Wow yes these scene is lookin sexy keep it up!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moving the CTF_Decker progress out of the sektchbook thread and into P&P where it belongs.
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?p=901440#post901440
  • hendrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hendrix polycounter lvl 11
    loving the feel of your props, kind of reminds me of that french cartoon, belleville rendezvous!
  • ocarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian polycounter lvl 16
    Excelent Thread Vig

I Realy like your model

Keep up and good luck for the rest
  • Vredesbyrd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RESPECT REALLY LIKE THIS, one of the few kick ass maps for tf2