Home General Discussion

SUPARBAWLS!!!! PACK VRS PATS

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Had to wait all the way until the postgame.. .
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Boring as hell until the last ten minutes!

[/ QUOTE ]

So bloody true. such a dull game until the last quarter
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    BEST TEAM EVER MY HAIRY ASS

That was freaking awesome. The Giants had to go out and win it, too. They had to drive all the way down the field to score that last touchdown. Their defense shut the Patriots DOWN. Glorious.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most over rated team of all time, benifiting from playing in the worst division in the league, glad they finally got what was coming to them.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    That was a great ending. I started out wanting the Patriots to finish off the "perfect season" but couldn't help but turn around and root for the Giants at the end. Did anyone else think that was extremely poor sportsmanship on Belichick's part for walking off the field before the end was official?
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    nah, he had already walked out and shaken hands with the other coach.

Also, the Iron Man trailer was nice.
  • pliang
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Most over rated team of all time, benifiting from playing in the worst division in the league, glad they finally got what was coming to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, what? The Patriots division sucked, but their remaining schedule was brutal:

NFC East champion Cowboys IN DALLAS
    NFC Conference champion Giants IN NEW YORK
    AFC South champion Colts IN INDIANAPOLIS
    AFC West champion Chargers
    AFC North champion Steelers
    NFC wild card Redskins

That's six wins over playoff teams, three on the road against division/conference champs. New England also beat the 10-6 Browns who missed an AFC wildcard because of a tiebreaker.

The Patriots are a bunch of cocks, but after going on the road to beat the Cowboys and Colts, they sure as hell earned that 18-game win streak.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    The Pats had a tough schedule this year. They didn't beat a bunch of bad teams to win 18 straight games. You guys act like they played Marys School of the blind or something. They played and beat a lot of the play off teams throughout the season.

The Giants just out played them in the big game. It happens. I don't think it was poor sportsmanship since he did already walk out and shake hands. Everyone thought the clock had run out. I mean come on wouldn't you be pissed too if your team just lost in the Super Bowl.

Overall a great defensive game. The Giants got lucky with their mistakes and the fumbles that they really didn't hurt them.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, great defensive game. The first half was sooo boring though. I'm just glad UFC was the night before so we watched that when it got too boring.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Boring??!!!! WTF game were you guys watching? Did you guys even see Brady getting smashed every time he dropped back? He was having trouble getting up, and his eyes were as big as saucers. That was defensive football at its best.

I'll hand it to the Giants' front four. Those D Linmen looked like men amongst boys, and were totally unstoppable.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Calling that game "boring" is just stupid.

I like watching dominate defense over dominate offense.

One of the most entertaining superbowls I have ever watched.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They played in the worst division in football, anyone care to argue this *fact*?

New England Patriots 16 0
    Buffalo Bills 7 9
    New York Jets 4 12
    Miami Dolphins 1 15

I'm not saying they arent a good team, but many in the media were proclaiming them the *best team of all time*. If you take away the horrible division they play in they're probablly 13-3 14-2 TOPS. Which puts them on par with Dallas and Green Bay. Am i saying they werent better than these teams? Of course not, but only by a slim margain.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Seattle, Tampa Bay, San Diego, also had a pretty easy division this year as everyone else behind them had losing records.

If you look at all the division records most of the leading teams were 5-1 and the Pats were 6-0.

I think saying the Pats weren't good or had an unbelievable team is kind of a misguided statement. They were good. Any team is beatable on a given day. The Giants just made the right calls and on some instances got lucky.

The Patriots still were the top scoring offense in the league and didn't lose a single regular season game. Not too many teams have ever done that.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    They played in the worst division in football, anyone care to argue this *fact*?

New England Patriots 16 0
    Buffalo Bills 7 9
    New York Jets 4 12
    Miami Dolphins 1 15

I'm not saying they arent a good team, but many in the media were proclaiming them the *best team of all time*. If you take away the horrible division they play in they're probablly 13-3 14-2 TOPS. Which puts them on par with Dallas and Green Bay. Am i saying they werent better than these teams? Of course not, but only by a slim margain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's just bullshit. There were three 13-3 teams this season, New England played two of them on the road and beat them both. You know who else did that? Absolutely nobody.

The Patriots lost the Super Bowl because of poor game planning (3:1 pass-to-rush ratio going against an inspired pass rush) and a one-for-the-ages miracle play on the pass from Manning to Tyree. That doesn't change the fact that Patriots clearly have the best team in the NFL.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I'm just saying the first half was pretty boring. The second half was unbelievable though. I want an all Manning bowl next year now!
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    [ QUOTE ]
    The Giants got lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

They only had one more fumble and INT than the Pats, in an even game those are pretty comparable.

5 Sacks for -37 yards was the difference maker. The Giants led almost all defensive numbers for the post season coming into the Superbowl. The Pats O-Line couldn't handle the added pressure and the giants never stopped calling blitz. And that most certainly wasn't luck.

Eli's yards per throw was much better than Brady's too which is an indication of how tight the deep pass coverage was from the Giants.

At the end of the day, the Pats couldn't handle the D. And they made at least ONE bad call. Not attempting a 49 yard field goal and going for on 4th was the play that might have cost them the game.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Boring??!!!! WTF game were you guys watching? Did you guys even see Brady getting smashed every time he dropped back? He was having trouble getting up, and his eyes were as big as saucers. That was defensive football at its best.

I'll hand it to the Giants' front four. Those D Linmen looked like men amongst boys, and were totally unstoppable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken, the Giants defense was just amazing. That sack here the guy had Brady's hand with the ball right before he threw the ball = awesome.

There were no breakaway plays by either side's offense, there were no points added to the board from the second half of the 1st quarter, to the first half of the fourth quarter. It was back and forth, turnover after turnover edge of your seat tension until that final 5 minutes of the game.