Home General Discussion

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
nacire polycounter lvl 17
After having a lot of reserves about this game, this new video has me feeling a little impressed and hopeful for it.

Video

Replies

• Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I like how things blow up when hit with a guard.
  • Waz
    Offline / Send Message
    Waz polycounter lvl 17
    Really cool, would be nice to play a good Star Wars game again. I haven't played one since KOTOR, but after watching that trailer looks like Force Unleashed will be good.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Man I have been excited about this since seeing the earlier tech demos....
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    psi ops with lightsabres.

im sold.
  • nacire
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I like how things blow up when hit with a guard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I thought it was a bit lame when the guard blew up a parked tie fighter, but man what about the saber tearing through the trees? Pretty sharp looking.

And yeah I totally thought Psi-Ops too!
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Anyone had to wait for more than 5 mins to see this???
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    I like what I see in the video. Very cool. I especially like the shattering glass.
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    must have this game....

though i read rumors the other day that the game has been delayed. the novelization has been pushed until June and Amazon.com has the release date of the game as August 26th . though the Making of/Art book and the RPG supplement are still listed for March releases.
  • TheSplash
    I wonder how much of a performance hit those three physics systems have on the game. For most things pre-broken "gibs" do the job but i can really see where DMM could be awesome with more organic objects.
  • rebb
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    I have kinda mixed feelings about this game. It's great that it's Star Wars, and all their Tech Stuff is pretty impressive.

But it just seems to be designed around the idea of "you have silly powers and just destroy lots of shit".
    That seems to be a bit against the whole Star Wars vibe.

All the Emperor could do was throw some Lightning and not even save himself from falling down a pit. And now this secret apprentice is bringing down Star Destroyers with the Force ? Okay.
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Rebb, if you've checked out the expanded star wars universe, some people have done some serious shit with the force, things the movies don't even begin to get at.
    I remember one character pulling a star destroyer out of a dying star with the force to save his father or something, at the expense of his own life.
    Plus I don't really think that they'd want to unleash the entire wrath of the force near that big damned window in the death star, amirite?

Oh and also, I want a new Phantom Dust now.
    Not a sequel but a similar idea
  • Luxury
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Bad: Darth Vader "Knighting" the dude. Lame.
    Good: The environments! Love the reflections on everything.
    Good: How he holds his saber behind his back and nonchalantly deflects laser blasts.
    Bad: Gameplay? What else is there besides throwing people?
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Bad: Darth Vader "Knighting" the dude. Lame.
    Good: The environments! Love the reflections on everything.
    Good: How he holds his saber behind his back and nonchalantly deflects laser blasts.
    Bad: Gameplay? What else is there besides throwing people?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's probably pretty general SW lightsaber play and what not, think they're showing the throwing the most because they're proud how well those engines are integrated into the game, and they should be, it looks great.

I will be definitely getting this game, I don't care if this jedi seems like the uber-jedi (or rather Dark Jedi), the games tend to allow you to be the most power jedi out there. Even Dark Forces 2 had you eventually become a crazy powerful jedi.
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly I'm looking forward to this game a lot, likely to be one of the few star wars games worth playing (like the kotor's)... Providing that what we're seeing is just showing off technology.
    If the gameplay is purely physics based tomfoolery then the game is a gigantic waste of promising content.
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah hopefully a bunch of lightsaber duels besides annihilating everything around.

Argh, no PC version? frown.gif
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    to me the over use of the force in this seams to detract from the star wars theme rather than add to it, the best films of the series used force minamily (SP) this turns it into a huge overbearing force that makes weilding a cool glowing sword seam a bit cack

im still waiting for the definative saber weilding game,this doesnt seam like it.

looks good nonetheless but not as good as it might be
  • indian_boy
    cant wait till it releases!!

i just hope there is blade customization, player customization [species, gender, appearance etc.] and GOOD lightsabering... i hated SW Ep IIIs shitty combo system wtf... i want something cooler.. use the analogue stick as a blade hand or something... i dunno... something cool!!

but yea.. REALLY looking forward to it!

will love the plot too!
    im sure i will...
    i <3 SW!
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    will there be character customization? I mean, I think that was planned from the beginning, but from seeing some of the videos, it looks as if you'll be playing one guy.
  • indian_boy
    well no, it could be like it was with mass effect
    one character model for keeping the trailers consistent or something?

right?
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    no character customization. you play as one guy, Darth Vader's Secret Apprentice (he has a name but it's not been revealed yet). i doubt there will be custom lightsabers either. i think the Apprentice has a different outfit for each section/planet/level of the game.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Force_Unleashed_%28video_game%29

think more along the lines of Jedi Knight and Kyle Katarn than Jedi Academy with its various species and genders.
  • gavku
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    hmm...i want to get excited about this, but its going to take a shitload more before I buy in to the hyperbole.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    looks nice. Can I cut people in half?

Oh they appear to bounce off my lightsaber.
  • demoncage
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    looks pretty damn amazing.

can't say i like that rancor near the end though
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Can I cut people in half?

[/ QUOTE ]I imagine DMM on a character would be rather interesting. Hell, give me a room with a few props and a Jarjar Binks with full euphoria and DMM and I'll hand over my hard earned without a second thought.

So if this guy is supposed to be "Darth Vader's Secret Apprentice(TM)", why is he running around killing imperial troops and ships and so forth. Shouldn't he be after rebel scum and ewoks and so forth?
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    <<<SPOILERS>>> for some the plot below if you care about that sort of thing.

basically Vader realizes the Emperor has tricked him into becoming a Sith and believes he can't be redeemed. since Vader lost much of his Force abilities when Obiwan Ginsu-ed at the end of Ep3, he is using his secret apprentice to strike back at the Emperor and become the Sith master himself.
  • indian_boy
    @ Jackablade:
    about "Darth Vader's Secret Apprentice"

completely secret.. NOBODY can know about him... all witnesses must be eliminated... im sure they said that in countless previews and interviews?
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    The game looks great, love the new technology, always loved star wars and star wars games but...
    I'm with hawken here. I don't understand why they just won't let me cut that knight in shining space armor into pieces.
    Maybe it has something to do with Euphoria. Or maybe the storm troopers got super lightsaber repellant spray, and apply it in the group showers in the morning just for that off chance a jedi takes a personal vendetta against them for wearing white and shooting little teddy bear creatures that can also kill them. With rocks. And sticks.
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Dunno man, from everything I've seen of the Star Wars universe, if you're a stormtrooper, you have about a 95% chance of being cut in half by a lightsaber on any given day. I'd buy that repellant by the palette.
  • indian_boy
    maybe the rating has something to do with it?

doesnt dismemberment automatically bump it to an "M"

maybe they want a "T" rating?
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    that realmatter.com demo that had dismemberment on the zombies was great. I think it only makes sense to have dismemberment in a star wars game with light sabers. They can do it tastefully and have the areas that are cut looking burnt and hot and not spraying blood like a kill bill movie. Nice to see a lot of tech in one big game though I do think a working lightsaber that actually cuts things(objects and creatures) would be nicer.
  • indian_boy
    well it cuts trees we saw... maybe other things too....?

and agreed.. the heat from the blade is supposed to cauterize the wound anyways.. its watd make sense.... why the sw movies dont have too much blood etc....

so if theres no blood.. it maintains a 't' rating?

then they should definately do that!

they dont loose market, and its authentic too!

i just want the sabering to be FUN!
  • nacire
    Offline / Send Message
    Wouldn't dismemberment call for an "M" rating?
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    the only people/things that get regularly sliced into pieces in Star Wars are battle droids and the Geonosians in Ep 2. some of it is from the technical limitations present in the Original Trilogy (Jabba's thugs just falling down when Luke swings at them) but dismemberment in regards to humans are limited to a few severed limbs and a couple decapitations.

people are confusing what they assume a lightsaber should do to a person when swung at them and with what we are shown happens. slicing Geonosians in half from head to groin with one swing is the exception not the rule when it comes to living creatures.

most likely there will be occasional dismemberments like in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy rather than Jedi Outcast with g_saberRealisticCombat 1 turned on where you could run up to an enemy with your saber drawn and just wiggle the mouse and he falls into a dozen pieces. tongue.gif

*edit*

not that i'm against having dismemberments in game but at some point it gets silly if your saber slices through everyone and thing like a katana through a Jell-O mold. (see Robot Chicken Star Wars special when Qui-Gon drops his lightsaber and it slices clean through every floor on a starship.)
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    the only people/things that get regularly sliced into pieces in Star Wars are battle droids and the Geonosians in Ep 2. some of it is from the technical limitations present in the Original Trilogy (Jabba's thugs just falling down when Luke swings at them) but dismemberment in regards to humans are limited to a few severed limbs and a couple decapitations.

people are confusing what they assume a lightsaber should do to a person when swung at them and with what we are shown happens. slicing Geonosians in half from head to groin with one swing is the exception not the rule when it comes to living creatures.

most likely there will be occasional dismemberments like in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy rather than Jedi Outcast with g_saberRealisticCombat 1 turned on where you could run up to an enemy with your saber drawn and just wiggle the mouse and he falls into a dozen pieces. tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

the g_saberRealisticCombat was still fun to play with, and it actually made saber duels a bit more intense, as you pretty much died with one hit.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I think lightsabers should be able to slice the bad dudes in half really easily otherwise I wouldnt want a lightsaber, a normal sword would do.

No I think the whole point of having a lightsaber is how rediculously powerful they are and the movies simply didnt show much of this due to technical limitations like age ratings and budget and the fact that the story doesnt actually feature tons of lightsaber combat like a game might. This is an area where a game could really shine and make lightsabers great fun regardless of what was shown in films.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Actually, yeah, a lightsaber should be able to dismember someone pretty effortlessly. Jedi fighting styles and martial arts don't focus on moves like that -- cutting the hand or arm is the most favored mark of contact, followed by a clean cut to the body. Taking off someone's head, or cutting them in half, is considered really bad form for jedi. A lot of the reason they use lightsabers is that they cauterize, with Starwars healing technology (bacta and all) a lot of lightsaber wounds are nonlethal.

A sith, however -- and especially a sith trained adept like the apprentice looks to be -- has no reason not to slice and dice everyone into pieces.
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    but slice and dice through waves of enemies doesnt make for much of a challenge does it?
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    and nor would it feel like the original films did either
    loved it how they hammed it up in them
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? Darth Maul got sliced in half, Anakin had three limbs chopped off, Dooku and Jango Fett were decapitated, and dozens of Tusken raiders were cut to bits (mostly off camera, but one beheading was clear.) Lots of people got slashed to ribbons in the prequel trilogy, it certainly wasn't just Geonosians.

Besides, it's way more fun to slice people apart than it is to slug them with a baseball bat that glows in the dark. smile.gif
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    Now the real question is, will this game take more than 4 hours to finish?
  • Illusions
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    <nerd&wookiepedia> Cortosis, Phrik, Mandalorian Armor and Armorweave are all resistant to lightsaber attacks... </nerd&wookiepedia>

I'm indeterminate. While it would be cool to slice and dice, it might make the gameplay less than desirable. Solution? Cheat code!
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is that really important?

I'd rather have a fun game than one needlessly extended to reach some mythical mandatory number of hours.
  • nacire
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is that really important?

I'd rather have a fun game than one needlessly extended to reach some mythical mandatory number of hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine and all but don't make it cost 60 dollars. That or give it a metric fuck ton of replay value.
  • Wetterschneider
    Offline / Send Message
    Wetterschneider polycounter lvl 18
    Is there going to be an online component?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i want the saber system to be:

right analogue stick movement = same movement replicated by the animation.
  • Sith Happens.
    Offline / Send Message
    Sith Happens. polycounter lvl 18

Dismemberment = M rating... =(.
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I still love you manny
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Dismemberment = M rating... =(.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but M rating = awesome... smile.gif

wink.gif
  • nacire
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah M rating would have rocked for this game but that would be too risky for Lucas Arts. I'm sure parents would have still bought it for their kids since there wouldn't be blood and all but not a risk they wanted to take i'm sure.