Home General Discussion

'Cloverfield' - New JJ Abrams movie

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I wish the trailer was actually part of the movie. But I have a feeling that the trailer was shot independently from the movie.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    i heard that that scene will be in the movie, but much more drawn out.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    full trailer is up now and it looks even better than before. smile.gif

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    the trailer in front of Beowulf looked great. i really want to see what the creature is IN THE THEATER. wink.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    It's a giant Lincoln statue...very original.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Then it would be attacking D.C. no? (yes i realized that was a joke)

I for one pray that they NEVER show the monster.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I have this sinking feeling that its not going to live up to the hype and end up sucking big time...and then possibly go on to become a cult hit 5-10 years from now.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Judging from the poster, I'd say whatever it is has three claws and is at least as tall as the statue of liberty.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, whatever it's a good trailer. It teases, it intrigues, it's a success.

The movie will probably suck, but hey, at least they had a good trailer. :P
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Not really, Per. Less has always been more. I don't know about you, but I personally find a nicely dressed woman more attractive than just a stark naked one. Why do you think lingerie is popular?
    Showing bits and pieces of the movie, viral marketing and such, is brilliant. It creates buzz and word of mouth, and JJ Abrams knows that. He's done a great job with Lost and MI:3, so I have no doubt that Colverfield will kick ass as well.
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah. I think the idea is that this hype is fun for people, in and of itself. It's like a scavenger hunt. We all have good reason to be cynical, but regardless of the movie's actual quality, they've nailed the pre-experience experience for those interested in that sorta thing. The trailer looks great too.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Judging by the viral marketing it has not only a good campaign, but is almost a sure lock on for a good bad movie at least.

This type of movie is very very hard to fuck up in my opinion. Either it's great, it's good, or it's terrible and fun to watch in order to make fun of. All of those variants are satisfactory.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's a 'monster' movie.. we've seen those since birth: Godzilla, Ultraman, Power Rangers, King Kong.. etc. we're pretty sure what we're in for, i expect lots of cheese and silliness with dialouge and shaky cam. but it will be interesting to see if it's straight up another Godzilla or some new interesting twist (especially coming from someone who wrote for Lost)
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actually i don't think there has been much viral marketing for this movie. only the teaser, poster, 1-18-08.com and full trailer.

all the ethan haas stuff in the first 50 posts of this thread was for a table top rpg that got wrapped up in and confused with the Cloverfield teaser because they appeared about the same time.

i knew i should have started a new thread for the full trailer...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Cool trailers and stuff. But! Anyone knows how to get that kind of effect running on a website ?

http://www.1-18-08.com/

I'd love to see this adapted as a kind of bonus messy page in a portfolio. That'd be great!

HTMLers speak up!
  • Wells
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    That looks cool! I'll have to try it out - I love how you can drag and *rotate* stuff on the Cloverfield page but maybe it gets annoying after a while, dunno.
    Anyone?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    that's done with flash actionscript, and probably wouldn't be too hard to recreate. it's actually very cool in practice though.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can also shake the images and they will flip over. some have writing on the back.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    The trailer was a little messy for my tastes and didn't reveal much more than what we already know. I'll still go and see this film in the theaters because it looks like a fun film.

-caseyjones
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Blaugh!
    slushoRar.jpg
    I'm not sure of the origin of this image. It might just be fan art, but one can hope.

Someone posted some interesting speculative info on my forum which was ripped from somewhere else. I shall continue the trend and dump it here:

Little monsters: Many people speculated before the second trailer came out that there would be little monsters to further the destruction of the big monster. Because the second trailer is so speedy, the part with the shadow of a girl being held by two figures would appear that she is being attacked by something, however if you look at this and this picture, you will see that it is indeed two guys holding her down with hazmat suits. However, I just found this picture, so the chance of little monsters is not completely ruled out. Personally I think little monsters will add to the intensity of the movie, making the characters not only have to deal with a gigantic monster destroying buildings but also smaller ones that rip them apart.

You can get a small glimpse of the monster in the second trailer at the part where the military guys are shooting their rockets and guns and stuff. Here is a slow-mo gif: (thanks to cricket50 for the high def .gifs)

mehvf5.gif

monsterrevealedxy9.gif

NEW: Video from Arachnidus explaining several monster theories.

GENERAL PLOT SPECULATION
    This is a more cloudy area when it comes to figuring out the plot of the movie. One thing we can count on is that the fictional drink Slusho! (see viral advertising section) will be involved. The website talks of Slusho! having magical healing powers and the ability to make someone grow "to the size of a whale." If you watch closely, the girl getting handled by the hazmat guys expands in a fashion similar to that of Violet in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (see below). The website also talks of giving those who drink it greater strength, sort of like a super energy drink. The secret ingredient in Slusho is some sort of seabed nectar. Many people believe that the monster is drawn to this nectar, and the large amounts of Slusho being consumed at Rob's party could have awoken it. This also leads us to believe that those who drink Slusho have a bullseye on them when it comes to who the monster attacks. Many people also believe that the nectar could be the monster's eggs, which then hatch inside of people who drink them and causes them to burst from the growing monster. Whatever the case, Slusho will definitely be playing a large part in this movie, we just don't know what yet.

inflateyz6.gif

Tagruato Corporation is also believed to have something to do with the plot of the movie. Tagruato is a deep sea drilling company, believed to be the ones who provide Slusho with their secret ingredient. This deep sea drilling could also be what awoke the monster.

It is also noted that some believe the monster is attacking the city because of our overruse of natural resources, sort of like mother nature's revenge or something. However I don't know much about this theory other than that so there's not much else I can say on that topic.

THE DISEASE/INFECTION
    Hardly anything at all is known about the infection in the movie, or even if there is one. However if you look in the pictures above, Marlena (the girl who is behing held by the hazmat guys) is bleeding out of her eyes and mouth. This is believed to be part of the infection. In the Jamie and Teddy videos (see viral marketing section), Jamie talks about having a bladder infection or something. This is noteworthy and might have something to do with what is going on in the movie.

MISC.
    This is more like a random facts place. Most of these are proven to be wrong/have nothing to do with the movie, but they are still noteworthy.

In the first trailer, many people believed that Rob had a rather indifferent reaction to the events that were taking place, and thought that perhaps he knew about this attack beforehand or maybe even played a role in it.

Right after the SOL's head hits the building in the first trailer, you can hear a very distinct "cuckoo" sound.

A lot of people think the monster has some sort of aversion to women. Throughout the trailer, women seem to be its main targets and the only ones that are ever hurt. The SOL plays into this, having its head smacked off by the thing.

Also in the first trailer, a guy says "I saw it. It's alive. It's huge!" Many people think that he could possibly be saying "I saw it. It's a lion. It's huge!" However that would be dumb.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting if true...

'mother nature's revenge'... i hope they play that up some. as Godzilla was commentary on the creation of nuclear weapons, so should this one be a commentary on our abuse of the planet.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well first thing to point out is that guy in the suit on the right in Jackablade's last image looks like he is punching that guy in the suit on the left pretty hard...

...secondly, I really, really hope this is not another movie extolling the problems with American consumerism and treatment of the planet. Rewatched the trailer...yeah it looks like there may be smaller monsters if after the characters escape into the subway system they start yelling "Run, run run!" really fast after looking behind them...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ...secondly, I really, really hope this is not another movie extolling the problems with American consumerism and treatment of the planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Truth hurts. tongue.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    hey jackablade, that first image you posted was made by one of the conceptart.org regulars. I forgot who.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I thought that might be the case. I just hope whatever they come up with for the movie is as cool as that thing.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    As much as we could hope for that concept to be the real one here's a link explaining it.

http://cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com/2007/09/fan-made-cloverfield-monster-art.html

Damn and that Whale/Crab like monster was fucking awesome and the huge lice creatures. OH MAN!!
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Why not? Truth hurts. tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but the chances of it being preachy shit that tries to push a message increases.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    That concept is fucking awesome,and I can only hope that the creature in the movie is that, or better.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    if the message is 'dont pollute or some big ass monster will climb out the sea' then I may have to start wasting more stuff and leaving lights on
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also watching that last shot again I don't think that girl is inflating, its whatever in the background that is exploding pushing her hair and baggy clothing away from it.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    still haven't seen any commercials on tv for this thing.. 1-8-08 isn't the release date?
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There have been TV commercials for it here in NY. Ohh and I revise my opinion on inflating girl (since she was "bitten")...

Commercial #1: http://www.splatterfilms.com/news/16/25216.php
    Commercial #2: http://www.movieweb.com/news/39/25239.php