Home General Discussion

The Dark Knight

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
Ok following up with other movie threads. I can't wait for this movie. If it's anything like the first one then it's gonna be amazing.

Seems like they have a pretty crazy viral campaign going as well and this week with comic con they really pushed it.

I don't have all the details or sites but here are a few. Feel free to add more and I'll edit this post to include them all.

Teaser Trailer
http://video.whysoserious.com/TDK_Teaser_HD_High_Yuu675D.mov

and the other links...

http://whysoserious.com/
http://ibelieveinharveydent.warnerbros.com/

New Pic of the Joker

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Goddamn! I cannot wait!
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Not typically a batman fan, but the last movie was great, and this one definitely has me interested. Thanks for sharing. smile.gif
  • Steve Schulze
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks jack...i also added the link to the top.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I am so mixed minded about this. So many good things, and so many bad things that could happen...

the new pic of the joker for example looks worse than jack nicholson.. You'd expect improvement since the 80's
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    you mean that his face paint looks like face paint, aesir?
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Its simple : if you have a talented director who gives a FUCK about the film he's making, and a leading man who's totally on track, and a major studio that's bang behind all of it, you'd have to be a total spastic to fuck it up. Unfortunately, this is actually quite common. However in this case, and with the fucking ACE batman begins behind them, I think we're probably in safe hands. And I don't say that sort of thing often. Dammit, I can't wait
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm I wonder if thats before the accident, or thats its for a reinterpretation of the character.

Personally, I hope its before, and someone uses a knife to cut his cheeks open along the smile lines. (So when the scar heals, he is permanently smiling).
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I really don't like the joker's look. I always appreciated the joker as a kind of high class crazy -- he's completely insane, but as I saw him had a very firm sense of self, at least. Very specific and careful clothing/makeup/way of committing crimes. This guy just looks like an average deranged madman.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I really don't like the joker's look. I always appreciated the joker as a kind of high class crazy -- he's completely insane, but as I saw him had a very firm sense of self, at least. Very specific and careful clothing/makeup/way of committing crimes. This guy just looks like an average deranged madman.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but it seems like they are trying to make this series a bit darker and making the joker more deranged in his "beginnings" could be interesting.

So far from everything I have seen or heard I am stoked. Batman Begins was just amazing.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I'm definitely hanging for this film. Was a huge fan of what was done with 'Batman Begins', so I have high expectations of the next one.

-caseyjones
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Whats especially fantastic about the new teaser trailer is the fact that it communicates clearly what its inspiration is through the title and the teaser.

a. it tells us it is drawing upon the Dark Knight Returns and that tells us it aims to be definitive amoungst the previous films thanks to the title.
    b. through the wordplay of the teaser the film is also clearly drawing from the killing joke also, which I read in previous articles.

Leveraging Alan Moore and Frank Miller's fantastic batman stories really tells me everything that I need to know, that any batman fan needs to know.

It's such an incredible time for the 30something crowd of comic fans these day. With both the Dark Knight and the Watchmen getting 'the royal treatment' atm, its like we're coming full circle.

At the time both these stories were released, it was like someone dropped an atom bomb on the comic industry and the shockwaves from that moment flattened the scene for a long time.
    In the wake of that moment, Alan Moore quit the industry for nigh on a decade in disgust at how his and Miller's 1-2 combo was interpretated and Miller and Moore agreed they had
    probably jointly signalled the death knell for the superhero because of how they had deconstructed what they represented.

Of course, that just skewed things, we had a slew of Rorschach / Punisher /Wolverine pyschos dominating for a couple decades as so few got it.

Here we are though, time enough has past for all the geeks of my wonder years to have grown up aware of what happened and to now be in a position to articulate it in cinema.

So aye, fantastic time for comic fans, I'd never dared to consider we'd have talents like Nolan,Singer and Raimi articulating the stories I grew up on.

r.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man I just can't wait for this film... I want to see some footage.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bringing back this thread from the dead so we all know what we are talking about.

Ledger as the Joker is brilliant. Like Verm said. He just looks insane.

I can't wait for this movie. This summer it is going to be one of my favorites for sure.

The official trailer is out soon I guess. I can't wait.
  • Asherr
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    <font color="orange">*HONK*</font>

The <font color="red">NEW TRAILER</font> is officially released. Enjoy.
    http://atasteforthetheatrical.com/deathtrap/default.htm

<font color="orange">*HONK*</font>

and another mobile phone leak, this time from the preview of the first five minutes of the movie. Sound is really terrible.
    http://joblo.com/leaked-tdk-prologue
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    what ror said. i'm electrified by the idea of seeing nolan/ledger's Joker on screen.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So... look at it!. Do I need to make the link flash and make some sort of obnoxious honking noise to get people's attention?
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is going to be FUCKING HUGE!
    Thanks for the links, Jackablade.

-caseyjones
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, that opening scene was awesome.

i can't wait.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    jack nicholson is joker..

they can only lose

anyhow.. the first batmans where the best imo.. last one i liked so far was "bm forever"
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're entitled to your opinion, Rollin, as long as you realise that you are, in fact, mad as fishies.

[ QUOTE ]
    Wish they'd gone less sci-fi with the batsuit though, looks too Hollywood.

[/ QUOTE ]The fact that the suit allows him to move his head, rather than having it sheathed in immobile rubber should make for some rather better fight scenes methinks.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    I had concerns about Ledger.

No longer.

Looks BADASS.

Frank the Avenger
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    jesus me wants so much omfg.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Ledger is looking so bad ass. We all had our concerns but damn I think he has shown himself and proved himself to be a bad ass.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Best Joker yet. Jack who?
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, holy shit, he looks amazing. The trailer gave me fanboy butterflies! Fluttering through me innards! Awesome!
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    Bah I never really got everyone's love over Jack as the Joker. Like Per said, he was Jack. Which is good and bad at the same time in my opinion. This series with it's roots in reality are one of the main draws for me. And that hands down beats out Burton's campy batman films by my tastes.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i never fully accepted Jack as the Joker. Too silly. I like me a psycho Joker.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I want the psycho joker too. That takes things like murder and the mass annihilation of people to be funny. A really sadistic fucked up type of guy.

That to me is the Joker. Someone that could murder a without any feeling what so ever and laugh about it. Maybe a little homo erotic to him too. Kind of like Buffalo Bill or something like that. Not too overboard just to make him even more strange.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From the old Batman film series, the original Batman is the only decent one in my opinion. I tried watching Batman Returns and gave up after half an hour because I can't stand Burton's work anymore (except the original Batman, which was a film I grew up with). The films that followed were just horrible and once Clooney got in on the action, shit just got silly as fuck.
    Jack Nicholson as the Joker was great and well suited for the original Batman film, and he did a great job. But Nolan's films are significantly different and from the new trailer, Ledger looks to be right on the money. Any concern that I may have had earlier, I no longer have.

-caseyjones
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I can't stand Burton's work anymore

[/ QUOTE ]
    Couldn't agree more. I used to really like the guys work but nowadays I can't stand it. Next he's doing Alice in Wonderland. Gee thanks... but no thanks. You already ruined Planet of the Apes and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Stick to the original stuff dude.

He's done some great stuff in the past. The last one being Big Fish - and that was only because it wasn't the quintessential 'Tim Burton' movie. Before that, you have to go all the way back to Ed Wood for his last decent movie.

BUT - back to the Dark Knight. Saw the opening 6 minutes this weekend. Cool, but not that cool. They were playing the Batman Begins OST beforehand and I never realized how amazing that soundtrack was. Might need to pick that up, and I'm not one that gets many soundtracks.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I am so mixed minded about this. So many good things, and so many bad things that could happen...

the new pic of the joker for example looks worse than jack nicholson.. You'd expect improvement since the 80's

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like ordinary face paint because that's what it's supposed to look like. They're not going with the dumped into chemical look or whatever, and if you notice in the trailer his make-up actually fades off after a while
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like ordinary face paint because that's what it's supposed to look like. They're not going with the dumped into chemical look or whatever, and if you notice in the trailer his make-up actually fades off after a while

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, is it wrong that I want the dumped in chemicals look? I dont want the plot to be about a crazy guy that likes weird face makeup...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    he's just a bughouse loco sonofabitch.

Good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the new Batman movies since Batman Begins are more a realistic type world and super hero where there aren't superhuman strengths and everything could be believable to a certain extent.

That is why I love these movies and why the joker is cool as hell now.

Cause he's just one crazy bastard...

See to them your just a freak. Like Me.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, look for The Batman anime coming out shortly before the movie:

large_BatmanAnimeDVD-jtgmvlux.jpg

I read a thing about it in Wizard last week. It's going to be animated by 4 Degrees Celsius, Madhouse, and Production I.G. Can't wait for this one.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yeah the new Batman movies since Batman Begins are more a realistic type world and super hero where there aren't superhuman strengths and everything could be believable to a certain extent.

That is why I love these movies and why the joker is cool as hell now.

Cause he's just one crazy bastard...

See to them your just a freak. Like Me.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the things that I've always like about Batman is that he is a superhero, but nothing is super about him.

It's Super villain VS Super Civilian.

Back up to when Lucas dropped the Midiclorian bomb on everyone. Millions of wanna-be Jedi's cried out in pain. Suddenly you had to be supper to be a Jedi. No longer was it some super natural thing anyone could tap into, but it is now only available to those who where born predisposed to it. He took the idea of Jedi (train hard and someday you can do cool shit) and put it outside the reach of fans. People already knew they couldn't ever really be a Jedi, but he managed to move it farther away and drew a line in the sand, to make sure every fan's empathy was locked down and stripped out of the experience. You may have felt like a tool standing in line in your Jedi get up waiting for the movie to open, but now leaving the theater they should have had trash bins for all the light sabers. Why do you think Storm Trooper Armor is so popular? Its a bitch to make and hard to wear, but its easier to slip into that roll then it is a Jedi. I don't understand why Hollywood likes to strip the humanity out of characters and then wonder why no one connects.

This latest version of Batman bring some much needed humanity back to human characters.

Unlike Superman who take bullets to the eye without blinking. It takes big brass balls for a "normal guy" to step in front of a bullet that he knows can kill him. Sure he has gadgets and body armor but he can still be hurt like anyone else in the audience.
    Superman movie: "oh noes the villains have guns". /me watches as supes walks up to a hail of gun fire and bends the barrels with his bare hands".(insert cheesy line here)
    Batman Movie: "guns huh... what kind of cool shit is he going to pull to disarm them, lets watch".

It's almost a fair fight for the crooks in Gotham, but never in Metropolis unless the crooks are brought up to Superman's level. Everyone likes to see the hero take one to the gut, and get back up. For Superman Spidey or the Hulk to be hit hard enough to drop to their knees you need an deranged mutant poodle or the one gimicky chink in Mr wonderful armor which you see coming 40 min prior. The villains in Batman don't need to be so extreme to put on a good show. Which opens the doors for different types of villains that can actually be more menacing to the audience then some ultra unrealistic super freak.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    per, its a matter of style.. i´m not a fan of this "realistic" batman look.. don´t like the batmobile at all and the joker is also too "real" .. this doesn´t mean its bad-in-any-way .. but its not my taste.. as i sayd.. I-M-O
    if the film is good i won´t say anything.. but the trailer is not my taste

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand even if they want to make a fucked-up-batman-look.. its too boring-clean (batmobile...)

and btw.. if the batmobile is bad the whole film is bad.. ALL IS BAAAAD.. BAADMAAAAN

smile.gif
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea, this batmobile has no class. The bat cycle is also really really ugly, and if he had power slided like that in real life with that thing, half the parts would have fallen off.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with vig 100%!

What i hated about the later batman movies was that he became superman. Oh someone has a flame thrower, good thing my cape is made to take the heat of the sun.

Batman was the character i loved because he did get his ass kicked on a daily basis. He also was smart enough to take precautions so that next time he would be ready for that fight. I like the idea of batman being the human hero because we have plenty of others that are super human.

I like the idea of joker just being the crazy phyco killer i saw him as. Someone who would in the middle of a speech would turn and slit his henchman's throat because it seemed like it would be funny. Then fall over in laughter as the guy pleaded for his life while dieing. Thats what i think of when i think joker someone truly disturbing and unpredictable. Thats why hes the best villain for batman because hes the opposite of him in every way other than they are both very dramatic.

I want it now!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well, is it wrong that I want the dumped in chemicals look? I dont want the plot to be about a crazy guy that likes weird face makeup...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd venture to guess that one of the main reasons people (me included) are excited about the new design is, man, we've been bombarded with the lame superhero origin crap for too long...

-accidentally got bombarded with gamma-mega-rays
    -accidentally got bitten by a super-radioactive spider
    -accidentally fell into a experimental science-hole lined with sand
    -accidentally got dunked in turbo-chemicals

...all that stupid shit. Cmon, it's so.. 1950s. About time to give it a rest.

Good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good +1

Seriously, I know Kirby and Lee and Ditko et al invented a lot of this stuff, but have you read any of the old X-Men/Hulk/DareDevil/Spiderman/Captain America/Ant Man stuff? It's actually fucking garbage. I've got it all, and it limps from panel to panel, making it up as they go along. Yes, it was great stuff at the time, but reading it now is purely nostalgia or about recognising the origins.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    [ QUOTE ]
    yea, this batmobile has no class. The bat cycle is also really really ugly, and if he had power slided like that in real life with that thing, half the parts would have fallen off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know man, they sold me on the batmobile in Begins. I had my doubts, but after seeing it in action it made perfect sense.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In terms of the Batmobile, how else were they going to pull this off without having some cheesey as fuck car pimped out to resemble a bat. The Tumbler in Batman Begins was a prototype battle-tank-car-thing, so he used it because it was there. He didn't go out of his way to develop some piece of shit "Batmobile" and they don't even make mention of it as being the "Batmobile".
    Once again going to the realism in Nolan's Batman films. Which is a breath of fresh air in comparison to a lot of the comic-to-movie films.

-caseyjones
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
    I hope the plot and dialogue arent a cheese fest like the previous film, it just didnt fit with the overall seriousness of the film as well as the burton movies did. I will say ledger does seem to fit the role pretty well, i guess if you can play a gay cowboy you can do anything!

-Buddikaman-
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    agcar.gif
    You mean this batmobile?
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Batman was cool when Tim Burton was doing it. I'm gonna stick to reading the Dark Knight Returns and Strikes Back and then crying myself to sleep because Tim Burton doesn't do that in a movie.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nolan is the man. I totally love what he did with Batman Begins, and it looks like he's doing just as well with this lot!
    Agreed with Per on the origins of heroes, it's much cooler when it's not some totally random deus ex machina to create any sort of superpower you want, I find it has a lot more impact when it's actually just really evil or demented people doing mad things within the bounds of believability rather than some crazy zapping around of cosmic rays or whatever. Yeah.