Home General Discussion

mall massacre

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
kid shoots up mall...
t minus 3 hours before they blame it on violent video games...

question is.. which one will be the target?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071205/ap_on_re_us/mall_shooting

Replies

• dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Jesus fuck.. when will countries finally learn that Puberty and Guns don't mix ? Bump the legal FireArm Age up to 25 or something everywhere already.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Manhunt.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That won't fly. In order for someone to claim it as an influence they have to have played it and I know for a fact that they haven't been able to move a single copy off store shelves. wink.gif

Maybe Edios will try and get people to blame Cane and Lynch? Their PR/Marketing couldn't sink any lower right now...
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    That won't fly. In order for someone to claim it as an influence they have to have played it and I know for a fact that they haven't been able to move a single copy off store shelves. wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And common sense plays a part in media bullshit when...?

Just watch, tragedy to blamefest in 3...2...1...
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Jesus fuck.. when will countries finally learn that Puberty and Guns don't mix ? Bump the legal FireArm Age up to 25 or something everywhere already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fuck that. Just ban them all together. I trust an unstable adult no more than I do an unstable teen.

What really is disgusting about this is that this fuck up decided to take people with him. If he was gonna commit suicde just skip the ruining everyone elses lives part and do it.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    dead rising seems like the obvious scapegoat this time round
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to agree with Tulkamir on the gun banning deal before a million people arrive to flame him.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    you can say ban firearms ("this is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun") all you want but the reality is that they are so heavily saturated in American households it would be like trying to ban keys or potato chips..

you can say enact stricter regulations on the sale of firearms, but i only have to go to the Court Days feastival the next town up and see 3.5 city blocks PACKED full of firearms being sold to anyone and everyone with no way to track who has bought what.

or i can go to the flea market near the town i grew up in and find dozens for sale along the major highway through that end of KY. same thing, no regulations/tracking of sales.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    You already have too many guns to ban them.

Chris Rock: “Gun control? We need bullet control! I think every bullet should cost 5,000 dollars. Because if a bullet cost five thousand dollar, we wouldn't have any innocent bystanders.”
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    The availability or legality of owning a gun has nothing to do with the use of such a weapon.

And here's an idea, how about instead of turning this into a political or social debate, we hope or pray (your own choice) for the fast recovery of the individuals unfortunate to have been shot but fortunate enough to have survived... and that those in charge keep a cool head in regards to the situation.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    The thing is that they couldn't even find a decent game to blame it on...
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    guns don't kill people, rappers do, and I'm a rapper and I might kill you
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To an earlier post: - Guns = More people unable to defend themselves and become more fearful.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    guns = the great equalizer
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    England banned guns, and gun related violence is still on the rise isn't it? So yeah...
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It also doesn't have to be guns anymore...
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Interesting reading, although slightly outdated. And wikipedia isn't exactly reliable >

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence

I'm gonna stay the fuck away from South Africa!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    FUCK. I hate this kind of shit.

If you're going to bother to kill yourself, you don't have to kill people in the process.

when you're dead you won't know whether you killed anyone or not. ugh.

I hate violence and mindless shootings. people don't deserve this shit.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]
    Interesting reading, although slightly outdated. And wikipedia isn't exactly reliable >

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence

I'm gonna stay the fuck away from South Africa!

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha Im from South Africa, my parents went back to see how things are there a little while ago and sort out our property and its got pretty dire. Our local community has had to hire a private defence force to police the town because the police arent coping. There are gangs of people robbing shops with AK47s. My sister left for england when she was shot at during an attempted hijacking, luckily he missed but she could see he didnt care if she died.

back on topic: this is really sad and frustrating, it may seem a bit cliche but I totally agree with flaagan.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i blame it on the mindless gun selling to everyone. Really in my opinion a community or country that legalizes gun carrying isnt civilized.

/awaits "BUT ITS NOT GUNS TEH FAULT BUT TEH GUY THAT IS A NUTJOB LOL!11" true he is a nutjob, but guns + nutjobs....
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    /answers johnny as expected.

"Really in my opinion a community or country that legalizes gun carrying isnt civilized"

well, civilized people wouldn't be shooting eachother, so couldn't a civilized community legalize guns?

You should have said that all uncivilized communities should outlaw guns.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You already have too many guns to ban them.

[/ QUOTE ]Its a difficult situation. When the government decided to ban firearms here after the Port Arthur massacre they held an amnesty and bought back all the weapons. Anyone who wanted to hold onto their gun had to have it crimped. In the US thats probably not at all feasible. Unless something really shockingly horrible, I don't suppose anything will happen. It'll take more than a 24 fatality shooting spree, no doubt.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I am not a pro-firearms but let's keep things objective guys ... a gun ban would not really affect the criminal ... but only affect a responsible gun owner ...

It's the same case with piracy prevention systems for software.. The only person it affects is the legal consumer ..

In the case of a gun ban... It would prevent law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves from armed criminals.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i think that it is that "protecting ourselves from criminals" mentality that makes it look like wild west. Most of gun murders happen without beeing related with criminality , i will try to fetch an article i read some time ago about gun mortality and only 15 or 20% was about death by criminals or diyng in resistance etc....If there was a good effort from authorities to make a gun ban , i think that even criminals would have a bad time .

"It would prevent law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves from armed criminals. "

ok, so a druggie robber comes to you and flashes a gun, and tells you "gimme your wallet so that i can buy drugs and die" , i doubt law abiding citizens would get their gun and point at the man wich would end up

1 - both dead
    2- one of them dead
    3- someone else dead.

but i might be talking out of my ass, and i think its an interesting subject in my opinion smile.gif
  • notman
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeed. the instance here wasn't some criminal. It was a disgruntled, suicidal kid. With some tighter gun control, its unlikely he would have been able to acquire the firearm that he did his shooting with.
    Perfect world though. With the "Right to bare arms" loophole still in place and the US gun lobby being pretty powerful, you're probably stuck with every depressed teenager having the option to go take his frustration out on the pedestrians.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The thing is that they couldn't even find a decent game to blame it on...

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QWZ...;pf_rd_i=507846
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i think that it is that "protecting ourselves from criminals" mentality that makes it look like wild west. Most of gun murders happen without beeing related with criminality , i will try to fetch an article i read some time ago about gun mortality and only 15 or 20% was about death by criminals or diyng in resistance etc....If there was a good effort from authorities to make a gun ban , i think that even criminals would have a bad time .

"It would prevent law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves from armed criminals. "

ok, so a druggie robber comes to you and flashes a gun, and tells you "gimme your wallet so that i can buy drugs and die" , i doubt law abiding citizens would get their gun and point at the man wich would end up

1 - both dead
    2- one of them dead
    3- someone else dead.

but i might be talking out of my ass, and i think its an interesting subject in my opinion smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic is spot on Johny, but it works out a little different in real life. For the issue of guncrime to be solved there are deeper cultural, political and social issues that need to be resolved first. As it stands then, legal firearm-ownership and even Concealed carry licenses are some form of security that the Government allows for american citizens.

The issue is never firearms really. US is not the only country to allow firearms to be legally kept.. Like I said there would have to be some radical change in other spheres for armed criminal activity to be reduced. But that is a process that takes a very long time.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I'm not here to debate firearms, by any means, but I see handguns and semi-automatics serving one purpose, to kill human beings. I agree that guns should be banned, or we should at least have some sort of local armory in which guns are held. But, with fire arms being such a part of the lives and households in America, there's really no solution that I can see.

That aside, this guy was just some screwed up kid that couldn't handle, or wasn't prepared for, the shitty things in life. He took a pussy/cry baby way out, and is getting his 15 minutes like he wanted. I just hope this doesn't turn into some huge media convention like most of these shootings do. That, to me, is the main problem. Stop glorifying these events with such media coverage and maybe fucked up kids won't see this as a valid outlet for their screwed up problems.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Geezus hit on what my issue is also. Stop talking about it and glorifying this asshole. That's what he wanted. There was no other motivation to him killing other innocent people, other than he wanted his name in the news. I'd rather that the news/media implemented a rule that prohibited the use of the killer's name in a story. That way it could be covered, but no one would become famous for it. Maybe that would help... I'm sure it wouldn't stop things, but maybe reduce instances.

I feel bad for the people who just lost someone in that mall, while probably buying Christmas gifts. Not only did you lose someone, but now you'll be reminded of that person's death with every gift you receive.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I can't see why a civilian would ever need to buy an ak 47, but they can, as long as it's a semi automatic weapon. I think the laws on bearing arms are a bit out of wack. I knew someone from my last job that bought and ak 47, he told me it was easy to get a permit as well. He had lots of guns too. He got the permit under the premise that he was a gun collector. He would bitch about how some of the gun in CS were not faithful to the real thing. A lot of states at least don't allow civilians to have the ability to carry a concealed weapons though. There should also be a limit on the type of ammunition you can buy and how much you can have as well.

That said guns don't kill people, people do. If the guy had no access to a shotgun and wanted to kill people he would have found another way to do it, it's as simple as that. I feel this whole ban guns mentality is a bit out of whack as well, and it really doesn't address or limit the problem of guns being bought illegally either. People should really not be allowed to purchase certain types of guns, ever, even if they are semi automatic.

Honestly I don't think the guy cared about anything when he did what he did. He just wanted to destroy, make others feel the pain and hate he felt.

Alex
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [not so serious post]
    Get rid of guns and it would have been "Man beats people to death with a hammer" pshyco's do what pshyco's do regardless of the availability of weapons. The down side to this pshyco not having a gun would be that he is too tired to try and club himself to death so we would then have to feed, house, and try this moron. Then his story would be made into a movie, because he is actually the victim of some previous crime on his sacred childhood. He would then use him new found wealth to convince the world that he found Jesus and we would let him out. Upon exiting prison and finding a job as a bag boy he would become depressed and do it all over again. At least the gun stopped him from ever doing it again, and saved us all that money. See how guns help people?

We need better suicide education (first shot goes in your own head) Maybe we should get to work on a giant mouse trap device disguised as a mall. Pshyco's go in, but the don't come out. We could put a gun shack right out front and hire a side show barker to say things like "Hey I think I saw your cheatin' ex-wife go in there!" or "WEE-Doggie! That mall is packed full of sinners ripe for judgment!"

[actual post]
    As for the whole "there are too many guns in America so why bother" you have to start somewhere. Hopefully we can ALSO address the issues of why people feel the need to pick up the gun and use it as an offensive weapon on innocent people.
    [/actual post]

Maybe some day guns will not only have bio sensors but mood disorder sensors. "I'm sorry Bill but you're current state of mind is too unstable for me to discharge rounds at this current time. Please take a min to read over the breathing exercises on page 2011 of the gun owners manual"

We need to take babies (not guns) out of the hands of people who are not fit to raise them. Something tells me that would solve a bunch of problems. But then the crazy genes are still out there polluting the pool. Might as well start the mandatory sterilization at birth program, but done in a way that after you pass battery of tests, it can be undone. It works for pets...
    [/not so serious post]
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    How about this...
    PARENTS NEED TO FUCKING STEP UP TO THE RESPONSIBILITY OF HAVING CHILDREN SO THEY DONT TURN INTO SHIT FACE COCK MASTERS LIKE THIS KID!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    How about this...
    PARENTS NEED TO FUCKING STEP UP TO THE RESPONSIBILITY OF HAVING CHILDREN SO THEY DONT TURN INTO SHIT FACE COCK MASTERS LIKE THIS KID!

[/ QUOTE ]

Signed...
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]
    Get rid of guns and it would have been "Man beats people to death with a hammer" pshyco's do what pshyco's do regardless of the availability of weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]

aaaaarrrrgh, that bloody argument again ... look, no, you'd have "man beats PERSON to death with hammer". You can only get one, and you have to be pretty fucking quick about it. And that sort of murder happen everywhere, all the time. If it's a slow news day and local, or the victim had smiling eyes and a bright future, you might hear about it.

Gun crime is on the rise all over the world, but that's generally individual murders carried out using a gun, just as they might use a kitchen knife or golf club or mutant cucumber, they're not massacres. Not many countries experience massacres as a regular occurence.

So why don't you hear about our little wanker hoodie-wearing wannabe gangstas massacring loads of people in malls cos they've come over all angsty and have had a barney with mummy? They may carry a gun, but the gun only has 3 bullets in it. That's all the little prick has ever owned, he's probably very precious about them, and he can't walk into a shop and buy boxes of bullets whenever he feels the need to loose some off. He's not even going to fire it into the air to look cool.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    How about this...

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

My parents knew everything I did when I grew up. I am glad too because I have a good education, solid and stable life and I am happy with how things turned out.

Yeah banning guns wont work because a majority of crimes are committed with guns that were obtained illegally.

Just recently here in Chicago a mail man was shot because he was late with the mail. WHAT THE FUCK!! Who does that. Oh FUCK MY NETFLIX ARE AN HOUR LATE!!! I'M GONNA SHOOT THIS MOTHER FUCKER!!! KLAK KLAK KLAK

The problem too is we aren't harsh enough on criminals. Peopel will sit on death row for years wasting tax payers money and shit until their lawyer finds a way to blame their crime on something else. Where the fuck is the accountability these days? Just like with the young Redskins player Sean Taylor that was shot recently. The kids that did it wanted to live a gangstas life with bitches, drugs, guns and money and they killed a guy that had turned his fucking life around and now his daughter will never have her dad again because these guys are ignorant and the shooter wants a plea deal. WHY?

I know there are some people wrongfully committed on death row and they do deserve the right to try and prove themselves innnocent but people like Scott Peterson that everyone knows killed his wife and people that commit crimes with like 10 witnesses don't deserve to sit around in a prison for years and years.

They took a life and theirs should not be allowed to go on longer. Look how quick Saddam was executed. It sends a message and a lot of kids and people that commit these crimes just don't quite get the message yet because of everything parents and lawyers and people try to blame the crime on other reasons.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Parents are just another scapegoat. Fact is, there's no real way to predict what triggers this kind of shit in people. There's a whole slew of situations that could have been different in a person's life that could lead to them committing horrible crimes to fellow humans. There's an equal amount of situations that could lead a person into a "stable/normal" life. No amount of hugs and education is going to stop a mentally unstable person from doing what they feel they have no choice but to do. Everyone wants to put the blame on something, but it's never that cut and dry.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Indeed. the instance here wasn't some criminal. It was a disgruntled, suicidal kid. With some tighter gun control, its unlikely he would have been able to acquire the firearm that he did his shooting with.
    Perfect world though. With the "Right to bare arms" loophole still in place and the US gun lobby being pretty powerful, you're probably stuck with every depressed teenager having the option to go take his frustration out on the pedestrians.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution is not a loophole. Well, not unless you'd argue that black people would still be slaves in America except for that Thirteenth Amendment loophole.

Tighter gun control does not fix the problem of disgruntled, suicidal kids. If you have an illness, do you cure it by treating the cause of the illness or by treating the symptoms?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    hmmm interesting..

"But he also had a drinking problem and would occasionally smoke marijuana in his bedroom, she said. Hawkins liked to listen to music and play video games _ "normal teenager stuff"

http://southernledger.com/ap/70218/Gunman_Called_Gentle_but_Depressed

i am sure some right wing nut job is going to run with this..

actually looking for info this article puts the doing drugs quote right next to the playing games quote, these were seperate quotes and other articles seperate the two statements, this one seems to lump them into one super quote of "bad things"
    stupid media.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Bowling For Columbine" anyone?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [not so serious post]
    yeah.. when he went on the killing spree.. did he had a camera on his neck?
    he could have been just thinking he was playing dead rising..
    [/not so sewrious post]

altho i think guns are not the one to blame because if someone who is derranged kills no matter he has a gun or not.
    hum. that makes another point... actually there should be a tougher gun control because these cases of extreme violence with guns in schools and malls are made with the idea to fuck as many ppl up before getting killed or commite suicide. whilst ppl who are serial killers kill with some sort of method.. hammers, suffocation.. that sort of shit.

i mean.. guns in the first case are the prime weapon to use because you can shoot ppl at distance and lots at the same time (im looking at you tf2 heavy) .. i bet you wont ever see in the news.. youn man kills 40 people at scholl with a chainsaw.. ok. that could happen.. but now with a hammer.. simply because its not doable..

so yeah. lock those guns up.. or the bullets. yeah. liek rick said.. chris rock knows it all.. if bullets costed 5000$ ppl know that when someone died its because they deserved.. i mean.. he was worth the 5grand. lol
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    England banned guns, and gun related violence is still on the rise isn't it? So yeah...

[/ QUOTE ]

So they've gone from around 80 firearm-related deaths a year to maybe 90 or so? Wow, that's more than a 10% rise. Yeah, but I'm pretty sure our 30,000+ a year has them beat by a long shot (pun intended grin.gif ). I'm not a strong proponent of gun control per se (I enjoy target shooting sometimes, and we even keep a 7.62mm Mosin-Nagant in our appartment), but there's something seriously wrong with 30,000 firearm-related deaths every year.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    so if we ban guns, Im gonna have to live in LA where the only people with guns are the LAPD??? Thats way scarier.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i dont know , but the most number of murders occuring in countries where guns are allowed surely means something. For some people guns are toys, and they will hurt other people with them itentionally or unintentionally...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A gun doesn't make you dangerous... your f'd up mind does. I've had a gun in my house for about 15 years now and it hasn't managed to shoot anything except legally hunted animals. That's because the gun can't fire on targets by itself and no one in my house is nutty enough to fire it at anyone. Guns are not to blame.

A truly dedicated mind can think of many means to kill people. If guns weren't available, this guy probably would have strapped explosives on himself and ignited in that mall. I could take a bow and do quite a bit of damage in a mall before getting taken out. You could take a gallon of bleach and a gallon of vinegar into the mall, pour it all together on the floor and probably kill several people that way. The point, the human killed humans, not the gun.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    "The point, the human killed humans, not the gun. "

i keep hearing this , and some people just say it because they hear other people say it, it is true, its humans that kill people , and yeah if the wackjob didnt have guns he could have even nuked the fucking mall , but what i really mean is that there is no doubt that having people carry guns like if they were wallets increases ALOT this kind of things. Not having guns can make things alot more difficult, unless it is as easy to get explosives i doubt that if there was a ban on games mortality rate wouldnt go down.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    but what i really mean is that there is no doubt that having people carry guns like if they were wallets increases ALOT this kind of things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carrying guns around increases this kind of thing? The shooter used an AK-47 assault rifle, which is about three feet long - that's 0.9 meters or so. Now exactly where in America do you think people carry these kinds of guns around like wallets?

God bless you peaceful European folks, but I sometimes wonder if you have any idea what America is actually like. I think I'll go load up my M4 and walk down to the corner for some coffee...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I always thought it was fun how the same people who are always saying that America is turning into a copy of 1984 (the book), are also for banning guns. Isn't taking away our right to arms the opposite of sticking it to the man? I bet the government would LOVE to take all our guns away.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i obviously ment small firearms. And yeah in europe there isnt a wild west mentality as far as i know ( might be wrong ).
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    ban guns! I mean, making pot illegal sure worked. nobody smokes that anymore...