• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Dang, if I didn't know better, I would be spending all my time making a 40K mod for this game.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Dang, if I didn't know better, I would be spending all my time making a 40K mod for this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

luls crazy.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

couldn't you just change the title screen??
    i think thats all you would have to do, maybe tint some of the football players green so they would look like orcs.. might be the worlds fastest mod.

okay now that its on the PC i finally got to play this. its really horrible with a keyboard and mouse probably the worst game i have ever played in my life.refusing to believe so many people would like a shitty game i went out and bought a 360 controller and with the 360 controller its actually pretty fun.
    things that suck
    every single character has the exact same silhouette, i cant tell who my guys are, who the bad guys are or anything.. if this wasn't one of the fundamental laws of art and game design i might be able to overlook this, but its on par with just not texturing half a level, or making the sky a flat green.
    really seems like something a suit would decide, i have a hard time believing anyone with any type of art or design background making that decision. that being said i have had to just clinch my fist and make stuff when some retard in a suit thinks he knows anything about art or game design.

anyway, i think the game is really cool, but after 15 mins of playing i am starting to feel like i have played the whole game. Do i get to do anything new? or is it just hide behind a wall and shoot.. move a little more and shoot, all the bad guys die and i reload my weapons? i hope not, would be a shame.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    but after 15 mins of playing i am starting to feel like i have played the whole game. Do i get to do anything new? or is it just hide behind a wall and shoot.. move a little more and shoot, all the bad guys die and i reload my weapons? i hope not, would be a shame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wondering the same thing, I'm about an hour in now and it hasn't really changed. It's getting really really boring. I thought it was a pretty neat gameplay mechanic for about the first 5 times. Someone please tell me there is more to this game frown.gif.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Gears really shines in co-op. That's one of the best reasons to buy it on 360 and play it at launch, it's easier to find somebody to play through it with you.

Arsh, I think the reason all the guys kinda look the same is because they shared the same skeleton across pretty much everybody. They probably had to do a lot of little transitional animations with the whole cover thing, and the cover doesn't scale to the enemies, so any enemy that uses cover has to be pretty much the same size.

The low level locusts are differentiated pretty well by their white skin, and later on they do some things with their silhouettes to differentiate them.

They mix it up a little as the game goes on. There's some weird enemies and a little vehicle stuff, but mostly, yes, it's cover fighting. If it's boring, you probably need to up the difficulty level. The bad guys should be hard to kill and you should feel wary about sticking your head up from cover.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, in the xbox version the lower of the two difficulties had completely braindead enemies, there was nothing to the gameplay. Play it on hard.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    cool, i will try some co-op, my brother said about the same thing as you doc, that the game is much more fun in co-op and i havent really played gears until i get in there with some of my buddies.

does anyone know if the PC players can play co-op with 360 players?
    seems all my friends that play have the 360 version.

on a side note, i now see what you were saying about the skeleton, i still feel these guys could have something sticking out of the main form to differentiate them, crazy back packs, helmets, shoulder pads. something
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I've read PC and 360 will not be able to play together.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    buying the game again pains me :x
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Am I doing something wrong?

I've made my Live account and can log in to it. I start up gears, press F1 to choose profile, select my profile, then it asks for my product key, I put it in, click submit and nothing happens. If I type in something wrong it gives an error message which leads me to believe I'm typing the right code (quadruple checked it when typing) but it isn't being accepted. I've dug around and can't find anyone else with the same problem. Even downloaded some windows live update thing but that didn't help.

Ideas? No one say buy a 360 <cracks knuckles>
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    *sigh*
    unfortunately i am having issues finding the editor shortcut.

Might I ask you folks where that be BTW?

I installed both the game and the editor through "more options" in the initial intall interface. But, where might i launch this sucker? frown.gif

Thanks in advance.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    go in to your start menu/programs/microsoft games/gears of war/run editor
    I feel like a fool.

Thank you Ruz. smile.gif
    um, one, other small question. I'm finding the "file" then "open", does not take you to any level map location for gears of war. Does anyone know if opening gears levels is possible?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Do I need to purchase Gears in order to use the editor?
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Ephesians 2:8-9 :
    Yeah you can open the levels check out this folder:
    C:.Prog\Gears of War\WarGame\CookedPC\Maps
    this folder contains all of the SP and MP maps.
    AdamBrome: offcourse?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Of course? It'd be nice to have the editor w/out the Gears assets so I suppose theres some sense in releasing it as a download (re: Crysis).

However, I'll just pony up the $50.
    much appreciated. Thank you both wink.gif
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Adam, it indeed would be nice.
    The unreal engine 2 had a runtime demo which included the editor. And all the features of the editor was working like it should. It was free to use for non-commercial projects, tho the removed it for some reason. I still do have it installed on my older machine. I'd love to see the same thing with UE3(even tho I already have Gears i'd like it because of the small install package and easy to use at school)
    [ QUOTE ]
    The UnrealEngine2 Runtime software is the state of the art in cross-platform, real-time 3D rendering solutions for the desktop. Taking advantage of the latest advances in hardware-accelerated 3D, the Runtime provides a stable, robust platform for interactive walkthroughs and simulations.

The UnrealEngine2 Runtime: Demo Version is licensed for non-commercial and educational use only. Development of games for distribution is not permitted. Please read and understand the license agreement before downloading: Unreal Engine 2 Runtime EULA.

Obtaining the Demo Version of the Runtime

The latest version of the Runtime is 2226.19.03, available here: UE2 Runtime 2 226.19.03.

[/ QUOTE ]
    from http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/runtime/demo.shtml
    I put the question mark after my "of course" because I wasnt 100% sure smile.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    damn i'm gonna have to pick this bastard up.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Its actually pretty buggy right now. Horrible stuttering, and I've run into portal errors while looking through doors. Moire effect/repeating buffers like back in the q2 days. I had to drop everything to medium to get decent speed, yet UT3 demo on high is very playable.

I gotta say I feel like I wasted money. The art is great but the game is rather meh. The camera makes me dizzy, the story is never really explained outside of the manual, and the weps are boring. Terribly short as well. Maybe i'm just burnt out on big heavy armor and bug like enemies, but everything seems terribly cliche. And the whole hammer of dawn thing is ridiculous, if it's a sattalite, it would be able to hit half the earth at a time from space, and going from one level to the next I doubt would be enough time that you could'nt use it. Also why the need to be inside? If it can punch through an armored alien (is that what they are) could'nt it go through a roof? A GLASS roof? Stuff like that just kinda takes you out of it.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i have a lot of similar complaints, the story is paper thin and im not convinced by any of it. the art is supeb but how does that make a game? it doesnt and it's quite apparent. The gameplay is coincidental and feels strung together
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, have to say from my 'experience' that windows live is a piece of unecessary shite.

Being forced to login to so your game will actually keep savegames when playing single player is needless, and what makes it worse is that the piece of crap has been causing problems for many people. The game can play fine on your computer, but if you want to actually be able to continue playing later on where you left of (perish the thought!), you have to deal with live which may not even let you login, or just cause other problems such as settings disappearing.

Or you can create an offline account, and allegedly some people have had their saved games actually there when booting up the game again (wow!). But if they connect to live at all later on then all their games are wiped.

Looks like some of us are going to have to download a crack to play the game we paid for, and hope by the time the single player is over this shit is sorted so we can actually enter our product keys and play online. Seems someone has made a crack that bypasses live, which has fixed many problems people have been having.